Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Has Eddie Brock been pardoned or something?

So reading the Knull stuff... Eddie Brock is all buddies with the Avengers.

But he's a mass-murderer. Has he been pardoned for all the people he's killed? Or have all those killings been deemed the symbiote's fault not his?

Is there a story which addresses this?

Astonishing Member

Not as I remember, but I guess his role saving New York as Anti-Venom had part of the reason why the Avengers were "buddie-buddie" with him, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    So reading the Knull stuff... Eddie Brock is all buddies with the Avengers.

But he's a mass-murderer. Has he been pardoned for all the people he's killed? Or have all those killings been deemed the symbiote's fault not his?

Is there a story which addresses this?
    another reason I'm not into V_nom, but fans, have fun, enjoy.
    amazing to see the narrative shift; Brock was dead wrong for blaming Spider-Man for "ruining" his journalism career. But that's been completely forgotten now. There's never been a reckoning with the family members of the non-criminals he maimed/killed early on.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    amazing to see the narrative shift; Brock was dead wrong for blaming Spider-Man for "ruining" his journalism career. But that's been completely forgotten now. There's never been a reckoning with the family members of the non-criminals he maimed/killed early on.
    The issue of course with that is that he became popular. Venom would make for a truly terrifying villain but the version that sells is the various Anti-hero or heroic incarnations of the character. Full blown villain Venom just doesn't work. Basically he ignores that because as the character evolved they gradually shed his villainous qualities. They then introduced Carnage in a way making up for that so they could have an outright villainous symbiote character.

Lots of characters are like that where things are retconned or overlooked in the early history as the narrative changes. They just found an avenue where Venom worked and they usually stick him in the role as a result. It sold and they gained story telling opportunities from that, more than what they ever got out of the villains.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Didn't some of those come after him as a high-tech vigilante team calling themselves "The Jury" in one or more of his 90s miniseries? Of course, given how 90s comics were . . . it probably wouldn't have been nearly as much of a meaningful reckoning as could happen now.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

Lots of characters are like that where things are retconned or overlooked in the early history as the narrative changes. They just found an avenue where Venom worked and they usually stick him in the role as a result. It sold and they gained story telling opportunities from that, more than what they ever got out of the villains.
    Yeah, for me this is very frustrating and makes it hard to stick with superhero comics. There are no real consequences for the horrendous things that villains or former villains have done, because they need the characters to keep coming back. I know it's part of the genre but it gets pretty annoying...

Amazing to see the narrative shift; Brock was dead wrong for blaming Spider-Man for "ruining" his journalism career. But that's been completely forgotten now. There's never been a reckoning with the family members of the non-criminals he maimed/killed early on.
    Personally, I'm fine with whatever direction is chosen. But your post reminded me of this scene from...

The Amazing Spider-Man #315

Fantastic Member

Ok. It happens in Amazing Spiderman #568:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...r-man_1999_568

A flashback shows that Matt Murdock convinced the courts that Eddie Brock was not responsible for his actions while bonded with the symbiote.

Fantastic Member

Oh man. I didn't know about this, Venom on Trial:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...n_trial_1997_1

That's what I was looking for I guess.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-25-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Murdock , you moron... lol..

are you implying that captain america talking about how cool a known murderer is while captain marvel's only thought is that he's hot is terrible writing or something
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    are you implying that captain america talking about how cool a known murderer is while captain marvel's only thought is that he's hot is terrible writing or something
    Considering Cap was ok with Red Hulk/Thunderbolt Ross even after Ross helped an attempted coup on the United States government . . . Venom's kind of small potatoes, a standard-issue superpowered killer as opposed to someone who betrayed his vows and oaths as a military man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Venom has pretty much become the marvel Version of Harley Quinn. A person who has done very bad things, killed innocent people. But he sells and is popular so it is okay for him to play poker with the very heroes he has tried many times to kill.

In a world were the heroes want people who cause deaths held accountable, even accidental deaths it is okay to hang with a mass murderer and let him go at the end of of the story because gee whiz he helped stop a purse snatcher.

That is the one area of comics that have always bothered me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Symbiote has been revealed to have been deeply corrupted by the time it bonded with Peter Parker, and its corruption only worsened after being spurned. Once it was cleansed during its travel to Klyntar along with Flash, it showed massive amounts of remorse for what it had done. As for Eddie Brock, thanks to the Symbiote's corrupted state and the way they both influenced their behaviors, I don't think it's completely fair to hold each of their wrongdoings at face value. Neither of them was really in their right state of mind while with each other.

Of course, the problem with Eddie Brock is that he is a character who changes massively depending on the writers. Some paint him like an irredeemable *******, others treat him like a pitiful psychotic, and others treat him like a broken man that tries to mean good. But that's just the nature of comics.

Eddie Brock currently is quite clearly a good guy though. He refuses to kill unless explicitly necessary, has apologized and shows remorse for his crimes and tries to make amends. He is obviously not the same lunatic Eddie Brock from the 90s and I think it's rather tone deaf to pretend otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Eddie Brock currently is quite clearly a good guy though. He refuses to kill unless explicitly necessary, has apologized and shows remorse for his crimes and tries to make amends. He is obviously not the same lunatic Eddie Brock from the 90s and I think it's rather tone deaf to pretend otherwise.
    See it bothers me with the mass murdering villains who want to redeem themselves by becoming heroes/anti heroes. If they were really sorry and wanted to make amends they would turn themselves into the police and do their time just like any other criminal. Do they get a pass for not going to jail because they have powers? Do you think the family of a person Venom has killed will go "Well he murdered my father but he stopped a hold up at the 7-11 so im cool with that."

Sorry like I said that has always been a part of comics that bothered me. I hate seeing the villain turned hero/anti hero story.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.