Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amazing Spiderman issue 59 Preview

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Good!Norman does nothing but annoy me since we know it won't last.

I couldn't follow that at all. I guess you have to be there.

Astonishing Member

A few issues ago I mistook Harry for Norman. And here Norman looks too much like Harry. He shouldn’t be that skinny for one thing. I honestly thought this was another Harry at first, and did a double take. I’m also not a fan of “good”, simpering Norman. Even when Otto was “good”, he still had an edge and remnants of his egomania. This good Norman is just lame and boring. I hope this plot point is over soon. I’m not ready to call it quits yet, but Spencer isn’t wowing me lately to put it mildly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    A few issues ago I mistook Harry for Norman. And here Norman looks too much like Harry. He shouldn’t be that skinny for one thing. I honestly thought this was another Harry at first, and did a double take. I’m also not a fan of “good”, simpering Norman. Even when Otto was “good”, he still had an edge and remnants of his egomania. This good Norman is just lame and boring. I hope this plot point is over soon. I’m not ready to call it quits yet, but Spencer isn’t wowing me lately to put it mildly.
    Norman having a skinnier face is canon to Ditko
    Crop 1 - Osborn and Jameson.jpg

Later Romita Sr. made Norman have more muscle in his cheeks and a little bigger.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

"Martin Li" reckoning with his sins and crimes now that he's been "cleansed" is a surprisingly poignant moment, at least for me. As for the last part of Spider-Man's inner monologue in this preview, "As for prayers, well --- I never had much use for them" . . . that's understandable. Peter's faith, such as it was, would definitely have been shaken by Harry/Kindred dragging him to hell and back over and over to torment him for sins and mistakes he couldn't even remember, or might have rationalized away at the time. For what it's worth, I'm still invested in finding out the "why" behind Kindred's actions, and yeah, Norman will inevitably revert to type, sooner or later, so I'm just waiting for that proverbial other shoe to drop on Spidey's and everyone's heads.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Good!Norman does nothing but annoy me since we know it won't last.
    Yep ,we know it won't last. My prediction is Norman will have to accept his Goblin sins in order to the "save" the day from a threat that Spider-man can't handle.

Not particularly interested in seeing that, but wouldn't surprise me if Spencer does that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Norman having a skinnier face is canon to Ditko
    Crop 1 - Osborn and Jameson.jpg

Later Romita Sr. made Norman have more muscle in his cheeks and a little bigger.
    I didn’t say his face, I said him... including his build. Here he’s built like Harry or Peter, when he’s been depicted much bulkier for over half a century. This isn’t the Norman who ripped his shirt open to reveal a giant cross scar on his chest in PP:SM #75, that’s for sure. Not a big deal, but just an annoyance with the art. As for canon, I got to side with countless 50+ years of stories with Norman over a few panels from Ditko, legendary as he may be.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 02-04-2021 at 04:33 PM.

BANNED

I didn’t say his face, I said him... including his build. Here he’s built like Harry or Peter, when he’s been depicted much bulkier for over half a century. This isn’t the Norman who ripped his shirt open to reveal a giant cross scar on his chest in PP:SM #75, that’s for sure. Not a big deal, but just an annoyance with the art. As for canon, I got to side with countless 50+ years of stories with Norman over a few panels from Ditko, legendary as he may be.
    Norman Osborn was modelled on Joseph Cotten the actor. As is Harry by extension.

Osborn Cotten.jpg

And Joseph Cotten had a smaller and skinnier frame and not a bulky one. Here is Cotten playing a serial killer in SHADOW OF A DOUBT by Alfred Hitchcock, giving an evil speech (a movie that Ditko and Lee, both of them habitues of classic movie screenings like so many comics pros).

In either case, making Norman skinny works as an artistic choice in trying to show a guy drained of his sins...without his sins, Norman probably does feel skinny.

Well, Peter, you did pray to God for you and MJ, so...

Oh yeah, I forgot Martin Li was actually fake. I guess this arc will take care of that?

Remember when it was implied Liz may have been working with Norman as Mason Banks to make Alchemax happen? They were kind of setting her up for a semi-villain role back then. And maybe hooking up with Miguel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot Martin Li was actually fake. I guess this arc will take care of that?

Remember when it was implied Liz may have been working with Norman as Mason Banks to make Alchemax happen? They were kind of setting her up for a semi-villain role back then. And maybe hooking up with Miguel.
    Liz is a cypher. Unlike MJ and say Robbie Robertson or JJJ, she has no consistent characterization over the decades. She adopts whatever characteristics and motivations the current writer wishes to place on her. “Hate” is too strong a word, but I dislike her and think the Spidey books should’ve left her behind in the Lee/Ditko era.

well writers pick and choose what they want to keep or reference. Alchemax as a company isnt making an impact probably cause 2099 is gone
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Liz is a cypher. Unlike MJ and say Robbie Robertson or JJJ, she has no consistent characterization over the decades. She adopts whatever characteristics and motivations the current writer wishes to place on her. “Hate” is too strong a word, but I dislike her and think the Spidey books should’ve left her behind in the Lee/Ditko era.
    I don't know about her being a cipher, I think she's had a pretty gradual development for a character that's kind of revolved around Peter without strictly dating him, and she's gone through a heck of a lot.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

And in that moment, he admitted he had serious issues with God, but was too grateful for reuniting with Mary Jane to dwell on those issues right then. At least, that was how I took it. As for Liz Allan, I'm pretty sure her "secret partnership" with Norman came to an end in Go Down Swinging, given what Norman did to her son Normie there, though I do agree there should be (or have been) some reckoning for that. Considering Alchemax will be the dominant megacorporation of the Marvel Universe by 2099, it makes sense to maintain it as a major player in the "here and now," like how Black Cat's King in Black tie-in has her acquire Anti-Venom suits from Alchemax to save Doctor Strange from imprisonment by Knull.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Anyone know what happened to Mark Bagley? He was supposed to draw this issue and I really wanted to see him tackle Mr. Negative for an issue.