Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Has Eddie Brock been pardoned or something?

So reading the Knull stuff... Eddie Brock is all buddies with the Avengers.

But he's a mass-murderer. Has he been pardoned for all the people he's killed? Or have all those killings been deemed the symbiote's fault not his?

Is there a story which addresses this?

Astonishing Member

Not as I remember, but I guess his role saving New York as Anti-Venom had part of the reason why the Avengers were "buddie-buddie" with him, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    So reading the Knull stuff... Eddie Brock is all buddies with the Avengers.

But he's a mass-murderer. Has he been pardoned for all the people he's killed? Or have all those killings been deemed the symbiote's fault not his?

Is there a story which addresses this?
    another reason I'm not into V_nom, but fans, have fun, enjoy.
    amazing to see the narrative shift; Brock was dead wrong for blaming Spider-Man for "ruining" his journalism career. But that's been completely forgotten now. There's never been a reckoning with the family members of the non-criminals he maimed/killed early on.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    amazing to see the narrative shift; Brock was dead wrong for blaming Spider-Man for "ruining" his journalism career. But that's been completely forgotten now. There's never been a reckoning with the family members of the non-criminals he maimed/killed early on.
    The issue of course with that is that he became popular. Venom would make for a truly terrifying villain but the version that sells is the various Anti-hero or heroic incarnations of the character. Full blown villain Venom just doesn't work. Basically he ignores that because as the character evolved they gradually shed his villainous qualities. They then introduced Carnage in a way making up for that so they could have an outright villainous symbiote character.

Lots of characters are like that where things are retconned or overlooked in the early history as the narrative changes. They just found an avenue where Venom worked and they usually stick him in the role as a result. It sold and they gained story telling opportunities from that, more than what they ever got out of the villains.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

Lots of characters are like that where things are retconned or overlooked in the early history as the narrative changes. They just found an avenue where Venom worked and they usually stick him in the role as a result. It sold and they gained story telling opportunities from that, more than what they ever got out of the villains.
    Yeah, for me this is very frustrating and makes it hard to stick with superhero comics. There are no real consequences for the horrendous things that villains or former villains have done, because they need the characters to keep coming back. I know it's part of the genre but it gets pretty annoying...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Didn't some of those come after him as a high-tech vigilante team calling themselves "The Jury" in one or more of his 90s miniseries? Of course, given how 90s comics were . . . it probably wouldn't have been nearly as much of a meaningful reckoning as could happen now.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Amazing to see the narrative shift; Brock was dead wrong for blaming Spider-Man for "ruining" his journalism career. But that's been completely forgotten now. There's never been a reckoning with the family members of the non-criminals he maimed/killed early on.
    Personally, I'm fine with whatever direction is chosen. But your post reminded me of this scene from...

The Amazing Spider-Man #315

Fantastic Member

Ok. It happens in Amazing Spiderman #568:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...r-man_1999_568

A flashback shows that Matt Murdock convinced the courts that Eddie Brock was not responsible for his actions while bonded with the symbiote.

Fantastic Member

Oh man. I didn't know about this, Venom on Trial:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...n_trial_1997_1

That's what I was looking for I guess.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-25-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Murdock , you moron... lol..