Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I wish they saved this reveal for the release. From the Apex Cybernetics war room:

I remember geeking out and be asked to be quiet when the Death Star showed up in the background of Attack of the Clones when it wasn't super obvious.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I wonder if Kong will get lightning powers like in the first Godzilla vs Kong movie.

Wow, I'm kinda bowled over by just how much attention this movie has gotten all of a sudden. I mean a) there's nothing really going on culturally now and that'll be the norm for several more months yet, and b) that trailer does slap, and c) the concept is just so simple and appealing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wonder if Kong will get lightning powers like in the first Godzilla vs Kong movie.
    Doubtful, but he seems to have gotten a sweet ass axe instead

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’ve always been under the impression that Godzilla is neither good or bad, he’s a titanic force of nature that eclipses such simplistic terms. He just shows up, fights, kills and destroys whatever is in his path, and it’s left to man to determine his motivations, as if that could possibly be done.
    One of the things that I most like about this version of Godzilla is they really lean into the fact that Godzilla is more like a force of nature. You can't control a hurricane or a meteor strike or an earthquake. You just have to get out of the way, when the ground starts shaking, and hope for the best. Having said that, none of those disasters have personalities or intelligence, and we saw Godzilla go out of his way to avoid unnecessary casualties. He took a moment to seemingly connect with Brody in the first movie (after helping to save him from the MUTOs) and the father in "King of the Monsters". And that's what I like, that Godzilla is on that line between 'neutral force' and 'side of the angels'. He's not bad, he's just big, and that's not his fault.

Whereas Kong has always almost been portrayed benevolent. Not to the level of Mothra (who was portrayed as an out-and-out heroic force), but certainly close. And "Skull Island" took that and ran with it, making him the island's protector (where, once again, the big guy goes through all kinds of hell trying to protect another beautiful blonde. At least Kong's consistent).

But yeah, if Godzilla has been manipulated (or is getting framed), it makes sense that the one character you're happy to see punching Godzilla in the face, is King Kong. Mothra is still regenerating, so, Kong's just gonna have to knock Godzilla back to his senses, the hard way.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Doubtful, but he seems to have gotten a sweet ass axe instead
    I've read speculation that the axe is one of Godzilla's own dorsal fins that Kong has repurposed into a weapon.

I find this absolutely brilliant. It makes sense as a perfect way to neutralise the atomic breath, and I mean, damn. Godzilla's been around for, what, 70 years? Has nobody ever tried that before?

Plus, we know that simians are tool users. And "Skull Island" saw Kong using improvised weapons to fight various opponents the whole entire film (there was even that lovely moment where we saw the gears turning in Kong's head, when he was looking at the wrecked ship's anchor chain and propellor).
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    I've read speculation that the axe is one of Godzilla's own dorsal fins that Kong has repurposed into a weapon.

I find this absolutely brilliant. It makes sense as a perfect way to neutralise the atomic breath, and I mean, damn. Godzilla's been around for, what, 70 years? Has nobody ever tried that before?
    Oh, I’m sure someone (maybe Dr. Serizawa) had to have thought of that, problem is, how does remove one of those fins? I mean, I don’t think they just break off and fall to the ground for any Tom, Dick or Kong to pick up and weaponize.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Oh, I’m sure someone (maybe Dr. Serizawa) had to have thought of that, problem is, how does remove one of those fins? I mean, I don’t think they just break off and fall to the ground for any Tom, Dick or Kong to pick up and weaponize.
    Yea I assume Kong is gonna rip one off. So do we think the humans are gonna fashion that axe? Or Kong is smart enough to make an axe haphazardly?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Rob Zombie is doing some music for the movie.

GET READY!
    Please tell me he didn't do the music in the trailer. That's all I ask.

As for the theory of Godzilla and Kong teaming up to fight someone like King Ghidorah, as well as the trailer reveal of you-know-who, I do hope we get to see Kong fight some of Godzilla's other rogues gallery sooner rather than later. The fights in King of the Monsters certainly wasn't the problem (it was, well, most everything else).
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

As for the theory of Godzilla and Kong teaming up to fight someone like King Ghidorah, as well as the trailer reveal of you-know-who, I do hope we get to see Kong fight some of Godzilla's other rogues gallery sooner rather than later. The fights in King of the Monsters certainly wasn't the problem (it was, well, most everything else).
    I think Rodan will probably appear.

No, just for the pop album.

Which is a good sign that the studio wants this to do well.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

So Godzilla is king of the monsters. If they getting technical with these titles Kong has to beat Godzilla to be King Kong right? Also heard someone say they heard Godzillas rights are reverting after this film, is that true? If it is I can see them having Kong be the last monster standing, just because he's is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So Godzilla is king of the monsters. If they getting technical with these titles Kong has to beat Godzilla to be King Kong right? Also heard someone say they heard Godzillas rights are reverting after this film, is that true? If it is I can see them having Kong be the last monster standing, just because he's is the future.
    Kong is King of Skull Island.

Godzilla is King of the Monsters.

So it is more King vs. King.

And TOHO expanded the rights in 2019. There was no reversion or usage rights, just permission to apply and use foreign trademarks.

That's why Shin, the anime, and the series are/were still coming out. Otherwise, Toho would not be able to make anything until the rights use was up.

They still really want to do a Pacific Rim/Godzilla movie as well as a true King Kong.

It all hinges on KotM (which didn't perform as well as they hoped) and the forthcoming Kong vs. Godzilla.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-26-2021 at 03:34 PM.

You really think that sounds like anything he has put out before?