Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCU Phase 2

Mighty Member

Default MCU Phase 2

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like all the films from this period. IM 3 I thought dealt nicely with Tony's PTSD after the events of New York even with the Mandarin fake out plot device. I liked Thor: The Dark World and Alan Taylor's direction. Loki gets some good development as well. Avengers: AOU was great and I loved James Spader as Ultron. I think this phase is underrated and doesn't get enough love compared to 1 and 3.

Ultimate Member

I like the films in this period but they're not without problems.

I didn't care for the Mandarin twist and Killian isn't a major villain at all so idk why they used him.

DW misuses Jane and underuses Sif and the Warriors Three, and the Malekith and Kurse are poor villains. But Thor gets good development with Odin, Loki and Frigga.

AoU is a tonal mess with too many poor Whedonesque jokes in serious moments. Tony is reckless despite and regresses as a character, and Ultron turns evil for no reason. Vision is great but needed more screentime. And the end battle is a repeat of the last one, and the movie as a whole didn't need a world-ending disaster. Spader puts on a good performance, and I liked ATJ as Pietro, but killing him off for freakin' Hawkeye of all people was bs. Speaking of which, I didn't like Hawkeye's insta-family either.

Ant-Man is kinda lame to me. Scott is good but idk why Hank had to be old, Janet had to be wasted and Hope had to kept out of being a hero by her dad despite being a grown woman! Plus Cross isn't a major villain and just copied Stane. But the shrinking was cool

Phase 2 is alright but it's a sophomore slump. Phase 2 is the weak link between 1 and 3. It's also where the "Marvel movies are factory made" criticism reaches its peak.

This video explains what went wrong with the phase as a whole.

Astonishing Member

IM3 was a fun film. The Winter Soldier and GotG are masterpieces and just great films, period.

Ant Man was a decent introduction to the character and had some fun moments, but nothing great. AoU was a grand spectacle but basically just another Avengers film. Thor The Dark World is the single-worst MCU film IMO.

So on the whole, its a mixed bag really. There were some great films, and some mediocre to okay films. But as a phase on the whole, its not as innovative or ground-breaking as Phase 1 (which was a milestone of sorts in the history of cinema) nor as expansive, experimental or powerful as Phase 3 would be. But it did do a fair bit of ground-work setting up Phase 3 (and for that matter, Phase 4), and it deserves some kudos for that.

Boisterously Confused

I don't think Phase 2 bad, I just didn't enjoy it as much. That said, CA:TWS is probably my favorite film of the franchise.

Part of my issue was disappointment that we didn't that we didn't get a Masters of Evil rumble out of it. But, it did what it was supposed to do in putting everything in place for Infinity War and Endgame.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't think Phase 2 bad, I just didn't enjoy it as much. That said, CA:TWS is probably my favorite film of the franchise.

Part of my issue was disappointment that we didn't that we didn't get a Masters of Evil rumble out of it. But, it did what it was supposed to do in putting everything in place for Infinity War and Endgame.
    Idk if they'll ever use a Silver Age name like "Masters of Evil" in the MCU

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Idk if they'll ever use a Silver Age name like "Masters of Evil" in the MCU
    Not unless it had been one of Stark's mocking quips.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Not unless it had been one of Stark's mocking quips.
    I could see that. I assume they'd use the name "Dark Avengers" or "Thunderbolts"

I could see that. I assume they'd use the name "Dark Avengers" or "Thunderbolts"
    They’re not dark, they’re just a bit tanned.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They’re not dark, they’re just a bit tanned.
    Haha, Idk what to even say to that.

Although, who would be on that team?

Black Falcon, Black Hulk, Black Thor, Black War Machine and, um, Black Widow.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    More disgraceful whitewashing from ScarJo.

Ultimate Member

I don't remember Black Hulk or Thor

I don't remember Black Hulk or Thor
    Hey you're right. There has been an Asian Hulk but never a black Hulk. There has been a black Heimdall but never a black Thor.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Hey you're right. There has been an Asian Hulk but never a black Hulk. There has been a black Heimdall but never a black Thor.
    You could have an all-Black Avengers team with Falcon, Black Panther, War Machine, Spectrum, Patriot, Ironheart, Miles Morales and Shuri. All played by Scarlet Johansson. She wins an Oscar for it. Am I missing anyone else?