Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I remember Freddy vs Jason led me to dig Jason more and make me embrace his ilk of slasher movies to this day, including revisiting Halloween.

I hope this movie can have a similar impact.
    Hope so too. I'm already a long time big fan of both Godzilla and King Kong since childhood (although I didn't get to see the original 33 Kong until 2016 somehow...). But it's always nice to have new fans seeing what you've loved about these films all along.

I recently got more into slasher flicks (I was too chicken to enjoy them growing up, so getting into it now). Still haven't seen Freddy vs Jason, but at this point I've seen the bulk of their solo movies.

Mighty Member

Will there be a new version of Mr. Tako?

The featurette concludes with the cast offering their opinions on who would win the monster mash, though Hall said, "I'm not picking sides." Wingard himself has been very clear that Godzilla vs. Kong will have a definitive winner and that he's known who would win since second grade.
    hopefully there's an alternate ending where the other creature "wins".. but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I remember Freddy vs Jason led me to dig Jason more and make me embrace his ilk of slasher movies to this day, including revisiting Halloween.

I hope this movie can have a similar impact.

I feel like I've been seeing it. I'm a lifelong fan and all for it (no "they're not true fans!" nonsense).

It helps that things are so available right now: Criterion has a boxed set of all 15 original Godzilla films, Arrow has all 12 Gamera films out, Mill Creek Entertainment is releasing all of the Ultraman shows at a rather rapid clip - all physical releases with streaming options as well! I mean, there are still unavailable or unlicensed or out-of-print kaiju things, but there's never been this scale of availability in North America before.

I used to spend a lot of money on buying bootleg VHS tapes of this stuff! Movies could dissappear from the American market for decades back in the day, and some stuff was hardly released if at all. If you're interested in the genre you can dive into it easily these days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is it remote control, is there someone inside, or is it fully autonomous (uh oh...)
    the alien cockroaches are running it right???

Astonishing Member

I remember the original, I thought the writers had to cheat for Kong to win, even as a 3rd grader I was like, since when are gorilla's able to manipulate electricity, then I remember when I was older heard the urban legend about Godzilla winning in the Japanese version of the film and wanting to see it. Godzilla of course should win. It's not fair he has the tail and the atomic breath. Monster Wars aren't about fair Godzilla took on a giant moth, how fair was that, lol?

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I remember the original, I thought the writers had to cheat for Kong to win, even as a 3rd grader I was like, since when are gorilla's able to manipulate electricity, then I remember when I was older heard the urban legend about Godzilla winning in the Japanese version of the film and wanting to see it. Godzilla of course should win. It's not fair he has the tail and the atomic breath. Monster Wars aren't about fair Godzilla took on a giant moth, how fair was that, lol?
    The electrical powers actually have an interesting origin. The script outline was taken from a scrapped RKO movie King Kong vs Frankenstein.

The project began with a story outline devised by King Kong stop motion animator Willis H. O'Brien, in which Kong battles a giant Frankenstein Monster; O'Brien gave the outline to producer John Beck for development. Behind O'Brien's back and without his knowledge, Beck gave the project to Toho to produce the film, replacing the giant Frankenstein Monster with Godzilla and scrapping O'Brien's original story.

It wasn’t going to be the classic Karloff version of the monster but a new creature. Kind of looked like a big troll. Anyway, Toho used ideas from the script but switched some things up. Kong now got more powerful because of electricity instead of the monster.

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Kin...vs._Prometheus

^ And then Toho attempted to spin off the idea of a giant Frankenstein monster in a movie called Godzilla vs. Frankenstein! They didn't make that movie, but ended up using the story without Godzilla as Frankenstein Conquers the World (aka Frankenstein vs. Baragon).

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ And then Toho attempted to spin off the idea of a giant Frankenstein monster in a movie called Godzilla vs. Frankenstein! They didn't make that movie, but ended up using the story without Godzilla as Frankenstein Conquers the World (aka Frankenstein vs. Baragon).
    Speaking of Baragon ... did you seem in the new SP Japanese trailer!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In the future, can you put spoilers in a link please?
    Apologies but if trying to avoid spoilers probably best to stay off cbr that was taken from an article on the main page...

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Apologies but if trying to avoid spoilers probably best to stay off cbr that was taken from an article on the main page...
    Thanks and I forgive you.

I haven't gone to the main page on purpose since the changeover. And I do avoid spoiler threads and news about things I do not want to be spoiled on. I'll even avoid social media right around release times until I've seen it.

I've really appreciated the WandaVision thread because everyone puts things in spoiler tags there or provides links to pictures.

Then it becomes a choice on my part.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Speaking of Baragon ... did you seem in the new SP Japanese trailer!?
    Don't recall - but there were so many characters I couldn't keep up! It wouldn't surprise me if almost every classic Toho monster showed up.

Thanks and I forgive you.

I haven't gone to the main page on purpose since the changeover. And I do avoid spoiler threads and news about things I do not want to be spoiled on. I'll even avoid social media right around release times until I've seen it.

I've really appreciated the WandaVision thread because everyone puts things in spoiler tags there or provides links to pictures.

Then it becomes a choice on my part.
    I’ll make sure I use spoiler tag next time friend.

https://www.cbr.com/kong-vs-godzilla...ison-revealed/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5NH8qXBRyE

wow. the anti-godzilla bias is strong in this clip.. ah well..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A new TV spot for Godzilla vs. Kong focuses on Kong and his connection with Jia (Kaylee Hottle).

The TV spot, titled "Promise," features Jia and Kong in a massive hi-tech prison designed to look like Kong's home of Skull Island. Kong promptly picks up a tree, strips it of its foliage and hurls it through the air -- where it bounces off a massive hi-tech shield. Other footage features Kong and Godzilla's battle atop an aircraft carrier and Kong roaring in Godzilla's face, with the King of the Monsters roaring right back.

"I made a promise to protect her," Illene Andrews (Rebecca Hall) says about Jia, who she took under her care. "He did the same." Jia is frequently shown holding a makeshift Kong doll and mimicking the massive ape beating his chest, leading to Kong doing the same.

Astonishing Member

I was feeling the anti-Zilla bias in the trailers as well...but saw this on this very site about America's choice of the upcoming Clash of the Titans..

"According to the map's gathered data, Godzilla was chosen as the preferred winner of the showdown in the U.S. by 41 states. Only citizens of Massachusetts, West Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas, Montana and Idaho voted for King Kong to win the epic fight. Godzilla dominated the vote despite the fact that trailers for the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong portrayed King Kong as the sympathetic hero. Nonetheless, support for Godzilla in the impending throwdown is so high that another hashtag, #NeverKong, grew on Twitter in opposition to a King Kong victory."

haha #NeverKong never has social media ever been used for a better use. #GodzillaReigns!