Mighty Member

Default Herbie Love Bug reboot?

I think they should do another movie. The Lindsey Lohan movie was not Herbie. Giving him eyes and able to do flips and make funny noises, that's not Herbie. I think take him back to what the original movie was, which is a race car wanting to help a racer, a Jim Douglas type, would be a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I think they should do another movie. The Lindsey Lohan movie was not Herbie. Giving him eyes and able to do flips and make funny noises, that's not Herbie. I think take him back to what the original movie was, which is a race car wanting to help a racer, a Jim Douglas type, would be a good movie.
    I loved those original Herbie movies. But I don't know if they could recapture the magic of those old films.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I loved those original Herbie movies. But I don't know if they could recapture the magic of those old films.
    Well, in my mind not so much trying to recapture the magic as it is scaling back to what Herbie was in the beginning..a car with a mind of his own.

Well, in my mind not so much trying to recapture the magic as it is scaling back to what Herbie was in the beginning..a car with a mind of his own.
    True, the reboot really made it more about the race and rediscovering Herbie. I think there was an evil Herbie too, wasn't there?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Can't say a Herbie reboot is at the top of my list really I'd rather just watch the original movie's.

I can maybe see it happening as a series on some Disney or Hallmark channel. I don't think the idea itself would be all that interesting to a big audience at this point, especially if it's going to be so lo-tech. Expectations would be a lot lower with a series and you can then focus on the characters and relationships.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can maybe see it happening as a series on some Disney or Hallmark channel. I don't think the idea itself would be all that interesting to a big audience at this point, especially if it's going to be so lo-tech. Expectations would be a lot lower with a series and you can then focus on the characters and relationships.
    Yeah a Disney+ series might work. With the 2005 movie, they gave Herbie eyes and had him do silly stuff like oil spills and going up the walls and all that. The original movie did silly too but in a fun way. Plus, the look of Herbie gave him his personality. They didn't need physical features.

Boisterously Confused

My first reaction to this was , but giving a bit of thought, it's all in the execution. I wouldn't have believed that the remake would surpass the original True Grit, but did so handily IMO.

Incredible Member

Give me an incredible journey staring Jake (cat from outer Space), Doug (Up!) and Herbie and I'll be there in the front row.