Boisterously Confused

Default Better Dead Than Red?

It occurred to me that the Golden Age was loaded to the eyeballs with characters with "Red" as part of their sobriquets. Red Bee. Red Tornado. Red Torpedo, and so forth. It seems like Red Tornado was the only Red name that got revived when superheroes came back in vogue during the 1960s.

Lots of other color names came back or were created. Green Lantern/Arrow. Black Canary/Cat/Bolt/Knight/Panther/Racer/King. Golden Glider/Guardian. Booster Gold.

Why'd Red never make a comeback?

My guess. Because of the Red Scare! Why have a hero with Red in the name that could be associated with the commies?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My guess. Because of the Red Scare! Why have a hero with Red in the name that could be associated with the commies?
    I could see that in the 1960s and even the 1980s, but in the post-Soviet world, when unclaimed good names were so scarce?

Because why call your character 'Red Something' in the 90s if you can call them 'Blood Something'?

I'd argue for Red Lotus, Red Shift, and Red Guardian (the latter of which starting out as your typical Communist antagonist, but later established as a heroic character) but yeah, Red Heroes are
    few and far between it seems.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Because why call your character 'Red Something' in the 90s if you can call them 'Blood Something'?

I'd argue for Red Lotus, Red Shift, and Red Guardian (the latter of which starting out as your typical Communist antagonist, but later established as a heroic character) but yeah, Red Heroes are
    few and far between it seems.
    Besides, who wants to be red when they can be crimson or scarlet?

Who thinks "Wiccan" would have been better named "Red Warlock"? Show of hands?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It occurred to me that the Golden Age was loaded to the eyeballs with characters with "Red" as part of their sobriquets. Red Bee. Red Tornado. Red Torpedo, and so forth. It seems like Red Tornado was the only Red name that got revived when superheroes came back in vogue during the 1960s.

Lots of other color names came back or were created. Green Lantern/Arrow. Black Canary/Cat/Bolt/Knight/Panther/Racer/King. Golden Glider/Guardian. Booster Gold.

Why'd Red never make a comeback?
    Red Bee got a reboot as part of a series a decade plus back, as part of the series with Uncle Sam and his crew.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

The golden age Daredevil one tangled with The Scarlet Skull...who looked a lot like a certain other nazi villain.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Besides, who wants to be red when they can be crimson or scarlet?
    "Crimson Commando" works better than "Red Commando." "Crimson Tornado" does not.