Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Episode I: The Phantom Menace

So, just watched this again yesterday, starting my whole SW binge saga, along with the other shows. Ep I was pretty good. I like how they set up Obi-Wan becoming the master to Anakin in the end along with coming into his own as well. I really liked Natalie Portman's Padme. I love that she was made fighter not afraid to get her hands dirty. I found myself surprised when she revealed herself to be the Queen and the other was a decoy. Liam Neeson's Quai-Gon(sorry if it's spelled wrong) was a great character. I feel they should have saved his death in Attack of the Clones. I think it would have set up the Anakin/Obi-Won conflict better for Revenge of the Sith. Jar Jar Binks was a very useless and annoying character. You could completely remove him from the movie and wouldn't miss anything. He almost...almost ruins the entire movie. Jake Lloyd as Anakin...I feel they needed to have someone older to play him. Seeing him so little, it's too much of a stretch to believe that he'd later fall in love with Padme in AOTC. Way too young. I think he should have been a 13 year old. The pod race I thought went on a little too long but still enjoyable and fun. All in all a good movie.

Niffleheim

Lucas overplayed the character of Jar Jar Binks and even though he was cringe and stressful to watch in all his scenes he did serve a purpose in unwittingly serving the Republic on a platter to Chancellor Palpatine.

TPM is the best Star Wars movie and Jar Jar is the best character.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    someone needs to be put in to a Mandalorian vault

Lucas originally intended to cast someone older as Anakin, but decided that the separation from his mother would be more traumatic if he was younger.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Spoken like a true fan.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

I will never understand the need to defend a character as racist as Jar Jar.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The actor who came up with the voice, Ahmed Best, would strongly disagree that the character was racist. In fact, he almost committed suicide because so many people criticized his work.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The actor who came up with the voice, Ahmed Best, would strongly disagree that the character was racist. In fact, he almost committed suicide because so many people criticized his work.
    What was done to Ahmed Best was completely unfair and unjustified. It also doesn't make Jar Jar any less of a racist stereotype as has been argued by many black people.

He's more Charlie Chaplin than minstrel show though

The Trade Federation viceroys were waaaaaaaaay more racist than Jar Jar.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Don't forget Watto.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The Trade Federation viceroys were waaaaaaaaay more racist than Jar Jar.
    The trade Federation is my favourite Star Wars faction though...They aren't really based off of East Asian people, at least their politics and behavior, ironically the Gungans are partially based on samurai

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Don't forget Watto.
    Uhhhh, to be fair, he's probably suppose to be a parody of Italians

Just a friendly reminder though folks, the Sand People in episode 4 are the most stereotypical Star Wars race. So, if you have an issue this is sort of storytelling, yah just can't pillory episode 1 alone.

He's more Charlie Chaplin than minstrel show though
    He'd have to be funny to be Chaplin.

The trade Federation is my favourite Star Wars faction though...They aren't really based off of East Asian people, at least their politics and behavior, ironically the Gungans are partially based on samurai
    Their accents are clearly supposed to invoke East Asian depictions.

Uhhhh, to be fair, he's probably suppose to be a parody of Italians
    1) If that were true (which it isn't) that's not much better 2) He has a large hooked nose, beady eyes, speaks in a gravelly voice, and is portrayed as greedy and covetous. In his second appearance, he also has a beard and wears a round black hat resembling a kippah.

Just a friendly reminder though folks, the Sand People in episode 4 are the most stereotypical Star Wars race. So, if you have an issue this is sort of storytelling, yah just can't pillory episode 1 alone.
    You are aware that these movies were made by the same guy, right? The accusations of racism (which is very likely done out of ignorance than malice) is clearly not coming from nowhere. You've basically admitted there is precedence for this stuff in Lucas's work and anyway, we're talking about Episode 1 not 4.

1) If that were true (which it isn't) that's not much better 2) He has a large hooked nose, beady eyes, speaks in a gravelly voice, and is portrayed as greedy and covetous. In his second appearance, he also has a beard and wears a round black hat resembling a kippah.
    Yeah, Georgie didn't help himself with the kippah. Though the sterotypes you overlaid still apply equally to Italians (who historically have a lot of overlap with the Jewish community) and Arabs as well.

You are aware that these movies were made by the same guy, right? The accusations of racism (which is very likely done out of ignorance than malice) is clearly not coming from nowhere. You've basically admitted there is precedence for this stuff in Lucas's work and anyway, we're talking about Episode 1 not 4.
    That statement was more for people who single out episode 1 for these things and seem to ignore this stuff in the other Star Wars films. I don't think Lucas was ignorant of these things btw, he fully knew what he was doing. Its just a Sci-fi trope to use human cultures as a basis for aliens.