Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Any of Fletcher Hanks' characters. The scripts, the look, and the insane absurd violence, the totally ludicrous atmosphere Hanks created is just as strange and compelling now as it was duirng the WWII era.

Hanks' works could've been reprinted in Heavy Metal, or a hippy underground comic, or even a 60's-80's Warren book and they would've fit in perfectly within any of those contexts.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

For me: Batman, Superman, Captain America, Captain Marvel

I think both Captains arguably have some of the most interesting or wild Golden Age stories.

Golden Age Cap is very horror comics-y (which I love), as one reviewer said: "The stories were fast paced, filled with zombies, horror hospitals, haunted castles, madmen."

The whimsy and innocence of Captain Marvel comics is wonderful. DC should omni these.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-16-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Golden Age Cap is very horror comics-y (which I love), as one reviewer said: "The stories were fast paced, filled with zombies, horror hospitals, haunted castles, madmen."
    Gruesome stuff, indeed. Definitely wouldn't get past censors nowadays, though.

The whimsy and innocence of Captain Marvel comics is wonderful. DC should omni these.
    I know, right?! What's taking them so long???

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Gruesome stuff, indeed. Definitely wouldn't get past censors nowadays, though.
    Scott Snyder, a horror aficionado, wants to write Cap someday (for Marvel). I have no idea what story he has in mind, but I secretly hope he would take some time to really horror it up with Cap again. The frequent horror elements are something I think people wouldn't expect out of Golden Age Cap, but they were there (and ironically, there might be less horror stuff in Golden Age Batman comics in aggregate, despite the very idea of Batman being more fitting for the horror genre).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-17-2021 at 05:59 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I've read a lot of the DC Golden Age Archives, and the Batman, Green Arrow, and Superman omnibus series. Batman and Superman are the best of the era, but if I had to pick a top three after those two:

- the Flash
    - Starman
    - Seven Soldiers of Victory

Scott Snyder, a horror aficionado, wants to write Cap someday (for Marvel). I have no idea what story he has in mind, but I secretly hope he would take some time to really horror it up with Cap again. The frequent horror elements are something I think people wouldn't expect out of Golden Age Cap, but they were there (and ironically, there might be less horror stuff in Golden Age Batman comics in aggregate, despite the very idea of Batman being more fitting for the horror genre).
    Sounds interesting.
    Initially, Death of the Family was quite enjoyable. If Scott's Cap is anything close to that, then Marvel/Disney should definitely give him a shot...

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Apichella View Post
    Any of Fletcher Hanks' characters. The scripts, the look, and the insane absurd violence, the totally ludicrous atmosphere Hanks created is just as strange and compelling now as it was duirng the WWII era.

Hanks' works could've been reprinted in Heavy Metal, or a hippy underground comic, or even a 60's-80's Warren book and they would've fit in perfectly within any of those contexts.
    Was not familiar with this creator. I think I'm going to have check out that Complete Works book. Thanks!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

While I love Superman the most, I agree with what's said earlier, the GA Superman isn't challenged enough fighting mostly non powered criminals. The highlights for me is some of Lois's hilarious cutting dialogue.
    Wonder Woman I find to be my favorite GA read. There's a unique voice and message there that even now will challenge a reader, and she faced more challenges. The bondage does get repetitive though if you read a lot in one sitting.

All-New Member

Fantagraphics has collected all of Hanks work in two volumes which you can either buy separately or as a two volume set with a slipcase. His comic career only lasted 5 (?) years. He died young under tragic circumstances which are detailed by the annotation.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Was not familiar with this creator. I think I'm going to have check out that Complete Works book. Thanks!
    Fantagraphics has collected all of Hanks work in two volumes which you can either buy separately or as a two volume set with a slipcase. His comic career only lasted 5 (?) years. He died young under tragic circumstances which are detailed by the annotation.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    While I love Superman the most, I agree with what's said earlier, the GA Superman isn't challenged enough fighting mostly non powered criminals. The highlights for me is some of Lois's hilarious cutting dialogue.
    Wonder Woman I find to be my favorite GA read. There's a unique voice and message there that even now will challenge a reader, and she faced more challenges. The bondage does get repetitive though if you read a lot in one sitting.
    I usually read 1-3 issues of GA Wonder Woman, just at random times in between other reads, for that reason.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I usually read 1-3 issues of GA Wonder Woman, just at random times in between other reads, for that reason.
    Yes. Reading a lot of them I keep thinking Diana would be better off if she just got rid of the lasso since it got used on her as much as she used it on other people.

The JSA, espeically Geof Johns' run on it, Batman, Superman.

Incredible Member

I love Golden Age comics. There is also something about understanding the early history of DC comics if you want to understand
    the modern era.

Batman
    The entire ethos that people have been working with starts here. You can't hope to understand the real Wayne-Grayson dynamic
    without the comics in the 1940s.

Superman
    The Golden Age Superman is a delight. This Superman is much more political, which I like. But Superman in the 1930s was also something of
    an isolationist, which suggests the mentality of the era. The disdain Lois has for Clark has been a constant theme. The stories get
    downright insane at times. You will have to get used to moments of insanity.

JSA
    The original superhero group. The stories are a mixture of history, politics, along with big opponents. The focus was often on heroes who lacked
    their own book in the early days. But Gardner Fox was a genius, it is a joy to watch him put together a story.

Incredible Member

Alan Scott's Green Lantern before the strip was immediately ruined with the introduction of Doiby Dickles.