Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What Golden Age superhero do you find most enjoyable to read today?

For instance, if someone told you they were going to take a deep dive into a Golden Age superhero and wanted recommendations, which would you recommend to them and why?

I'd personally go with Superman, but I've never been exposed to any others. I find that, even in his earliest iterations, he holds similar degrees of inspiration and excitement that his later incarnations have in more recent decades. I figured some discussion here might broaden my horizons!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

While I love the JSA, I don't love the Golden Age material I've read (granted, it's not much). I much prefer their more modern takes.

So to answer the question I'd probably go with Wonder Woman. Although I must admit I read it ironically, because I find the stories so un-PC by today's standards. Not so say that all the things we love about WW aren't also present.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I know everyone says Superman. But to be honest I find most of his Golden Age stuff boring. A man with his powers going after Mobsters, grifters, crooked operators of boys homes? Heck there was even an issue where he went after traffic violators. There never was a real threat to him. No challenge. he busted in, slapped a guy around, said guy became so scare he did what ever Superman asked. Pretty ho hum. I enjoy them on some level but I would not call them exciting.

Batman, Sandman, Atom I enjoy them more in the Golden Age. You have a feeling that a lucky punch will take Batman Down, Sandman could and has been shot. There was a sense of danger with those heroes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Next to Superman, the most stories I have read are probably All Star Comics with the Justice Society. My number one choice is the Spirit. I think I have read more origin stories than actual runs. Captain Marvel, Hawkman, and Wonder Woman are golden age origins I love.

Will Eisner's The Spirit.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

Captain Marvel, Batman and Dick Tracy.