Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I cant say about now. but in the 60's and 70's he was a deputized agent of the police and had official plates on the Batmoblie. I remember one issue of The Brave and The Bold where Gordan tells Batman he is over worked and orders him to take a vacation. And Batman agrees. He used to work very well with the police. Did missions for the American Government . At some point I cant really say when it turned into all Gotham Police either suck at their jobs or are dirty as Hell and I will only work with them as long as they listen to what I say. I know it kind of shows him respecting Gordan but at the end of the day he does treat him like crap. And I am sure that if Batman thought there was a guy who would work better with him as commissioner he would drop Gordan in a hot minute.
    Man, the 60's were a wild time.

I need to pick up some old omnis and read these stories

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Then later he was written as being very worried about unchecked power. So he came up with plans to disable The Justice league and those plans were used in the Tower of Babel Story line. He then created The brother Eye Satellite that was hijacked creating OMACS. I know one of those OMACs killed Rocket Red. So I would say that Batman has done just as much harm to the heroes as any villain.
    How many people died because of the Omac Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    To be honest I am not sure.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Yeah, my first thought was Batman is okay with unchecked power, so long as it's his own. I've seen others say he hates authoritarianism, unless it's his own. But that's modern Batman, and it's hard to pinpoint changes, when they often shift over a time period. I think it's fairly easy to pick a beginning point of the change, usually (a wildly popular work), but when he crosses the finish line is another story.

Quite a number of Amazons died when the OMACs attacked Themyscira and some civilians were killed too.

This, of course, got ignored.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Ah that'll do it.

But, Batman has always been anti government right? Or did that first show up in DKR?
    Batman has never really been 'anti-establishment' as such. Yes, he's been seen at odds with the corrupt GCPD and corrupt Gotham politicians. He works outside the law to get the job done. But he's never been some kind of radical or revolutionary. He's only 'anti-government' in DKR because the corrupt US government of that story had neglected Gotham, and was sending their pawn, Superman, to take him down for the work he was doing protecting Gotham.

And yes, for most of the Golden Age and Silver Age, Batman was officially a deputized agent of the GCPD. Post-COIE, they retconned this away, but he still enjoyed a kind of 'unofficial' status among the GCPD whenever Gordon, or some other friendly official, was in charge.

Batman is ultimately a kind of 'super-cop'. He does what normal cops can't or won't. He's ready to help them if they're good, but willing to work behind their backs or even take them down if they're incompetant or dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    It happened a lot earlier than that, Dark Knight Returns is where it started and grew outward from there. Batman is DKR is a complete *******. A Death In The Family storyline killing off Jason Todd was because the oik fanboy crowd loathed Jason because.....actually they never expressed ANYTHING resembling coherent reasoning for their loathing. So Robin was killed and Bats turned into this brooding solo almost anti hero.
    I thought they hated Jason for replacing Dick and being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quite a number of Amazons died when the OMACs attacked Themyscira and some civilians were killed too.

bUt BaTmAn NeVeR kIlLs!

Arrest that man for attempted genocide!

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    It happened a lot earlier than that, Dark Knight Returns is where it started and grew outward from there. Batman is DKR is a complete *******. A Death In The Family storyline killing off Jason Todd was because the oik fanboy crowd loathed Jason because.....actually they never expressed ANYTHING resembling coherent reasoning for their loathing. So Robin was killed and Bats turned into this brooding solo almost anti hero.
    This is what I was going to say. It got worse after Denny retired.

Also, he had a enlarged medula oblongata.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    My head canon is he was replaced with a mentally unstable clone in the transition to post-COIE and he'd been getting worse and worse by that point. Someday they will find Bronze Age Bruce in cryogenic freeze and thaw him out so we can have an actual good Batman again If they are gonna shove him everywhere, for the love of God let us at least have a Batman that doesn't suck. .
    I actually can't really think of any noteworthy moment when Batman acted like a jerk in the late 80's-90's period of his book. The 2000's pre-Morrison are a different story but the Dixon/Grant/Moench run is actually my gold-standard when it comes to Batman comics.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The change in the writing staff and editorial staff after No Man's Land is the real reason. When Dixon was the main writer the rule was that Batman could sometimes be a jerk, but it didn't overwhelm and define the character like it did until Morrison came in. When Dixon left it seemed like every event was centered around how horribly Batman treated his friends, from Officer Down, Murder/Fugitive, and finally War Games. And every event ended with Batman pledging to treat people better and seemingly learning his lesson only to go right back to being needlessly cruel and manipulative immediately afterwards.

In my headcanon I guess the escalating violence and tragedies pushed Bruce's inherent need to control everything and everyone to its fullest extreme, turning him into a person who would stoop to emotional manipulation whenever it suited him. The big change Morrison introduced was having Bruce accept that there would always be things outside his control and make peace with that.
    And yet the term BatJerk originates from the 90's under Dixon

I blame the writers who came on in the 90's to the 00's
    It was down hill from around the time Tim was introduced

I like to think that Bruce after facing zero consequences for being the mitigating factor in Jason's death. Being encouraged by Alfred that he did nothing wrong and that the solution to Jason was to replace him with a more responsible kid from the burbs. Bruce's ego took on a life of his own and he felt he could do anything and get away with it
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 01-26-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    And yet the term BatJerk originates from the 90's under Dixon

I blame the writers who came on in the 90's to the 00's
    It was down hill from around the time Tim was introduced

I like to think that Bruce after facing zero consequences for being the mitigating factor in Jason's death. Being encouraged by Alfred that he did nothing wrong and that the solution to Jason was to replace him with a more responsible kid from the burbs. Bruce's ego took on a life of his own and he felt he could do anything and get away with it
    I mean he really can. Not just with the Bat Family but any hero. His plans were used to attack and almost kill the Justice League, he created the OMACS which killed many people. And yet the heroes are still in this cult like awe of him where his word is law. Even Superman and Wonder Waman bow to him half the time.

I dont know with all the reboots if those events are still continuity. But DC writers have Batman pretty much doing anything he likes, and his family/friends, other heroes, police, no one holds him to task. its just Batman being Batman.

That is why the days of Adam West and the 60's and 70's comics are going to be king for me
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's the right call to make, since it is an awful arc to apply to one of the company's flagship characters.

The major error was not ignoring the Max Lord neck snap and slaughtering some Amazons, and then following up with Amazons Attack! not long after.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    A lot of people bring up the Knightfall storyline as part of the downfall of Batman, and I'd agree with that partially. However, it's not Bane that messed him up badly there. It was Azreal.

He let Azreal be Batman and Azzy screwed up big. A good part of the reason why he screwed up was because wasn't being Batman the way Bruce would have done it. Bruce saw that if somebody is being Batman but isn't doing it his way, it ruins everything, and he gradually started to view everyone that way.

Superman, Flash, Robin? None of them are being a superhero the way Bruce is so they're WRONG.
    Well said.

I mean, Jean Paul *did* go completely off the rails so Bruce wasn't wrong to want to see Jean Paul stopped....but yeah, I do think this helped reinforce Bruce's ego and his "my way is best" mentality.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

He had a midlife crisis. He spent his teen years training and decided to get back that time by being an angsty adult.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?