Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Granted infinite money as a child in an incident that probably left him with a grudge against poor/lowerclass, only father figure was his employee/servant, company full of sycophants that make his money for him leaving him to do whatever he wants, superpowered "peers" on the Justice League often behave in an obsequious manner towards him while trying to placate him out of fear. Guy just never had his ego checked on a regular basis and it's just gotten worse over the years aligning with his worsening behavior.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

That one of the reasons that I always preferred pre-Crisis Alfred, who didn't even meet Bruce until Robin had already became his partner.

Explanations that haven't been brought up:

-Superboy punching a wall.
    -Deathstroke's crazy juice.
    -Zatanna mind wipe.
    -The armored Bat suits chafe too much.

In traditional DC fashion, the explanation only makes it worse.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    For me, things begin going downhill late pre-COIE (the entire set up of Batman and the Outsiders - a team only answerable to Batman and the disrespect for the JLA, is so problematic to me).
    Yeah,"Batman and the Outsiders" is one of the earliest, clear examples of Bat-Jerk. The series even ends with them leaving Batman behind due to him being a jerk.

Also, I'm not sure why some people blame Morrison's JLA run when that wasn't even the first time Batman was a jerk in the JL comics. JLI Batman was worse than Morrison JLA Batman, but I feel like that isn't brought up much because Guy was an even bigger jerk during that period.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That one of the reasons that I always preferred pre-Crisis Alfred, who didn't even meet Bruce until Robin had already became his partner.
    You mean the bumbling fat detective Alfred? Also, random aside, what character is your avatar Alan2099?

Quote Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
    You mean the bumbling fat detective Alfred? Also, random aside, what character is your avatar Alan2099?
    No. i still prefer him thin and serious, but I feel adding that he was the one that raised Bruce creates a lot of problems for both characters.

My avatar is a marvel character called Captain Ultra. He's used the tagline "The Hero that Can Do Anything better than you!" and is mostly used for humor.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I could do without Bruce having been raised by Joe Chill's mom, That was always way too kitschy for me.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    -Deathstroke's crazy juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I could do without Bruce having been raised by Joe Chill's mom, That was always way too kitschy for me.
    Huh, first time I hear about it. How did that happen?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Huh, first time I hear about it. How did that happen?
    Pre-Crisis, Bruce was raised by his Uncle Phillip...and it was later revealed that Phillip's housekeeper, Mrs. Chilton, was Joe Chill's mother.

I don't recall now if Mrs. Chilton ever learnt that Bruce was Batman...but Bruce didn't know that Mrs. Chilton was Chill's mom. Alfred did though.

I thought I was the only one who didn't prefer Dad!Alfred.

I don't recall now if Mrs. Chilton ever learnt that Bruce was Batman...but Bruce didn't know that Mrs. Chilton was Chill's mom. Alfred did though.
    I didn't know Alfred knew. I only read the one issue where it was revealed and honestly thought that was her only appearance. It seemed very unimportant from a story-telling perspective to me. I don't recall it having any impact or anything, just being a "twist ending." I admit I don't recall all the details. Not anything worth keeping to me, either. Just have him raised by Philip (back when he was a good guy) or Agatha or some other generally good relative.

Edit: Actually, I don't recall, was she narrating to the audience the most important women in Batman's life - if so, that would indicate she knew Bruce was Batman.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-27-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Zatanna and some of his best friends wiped his mind and when he found out he stopped trusting everyone
    That's DC's official stance on the matter

You can bring up other instances like people dying during No man's land
    or
    Bruce just began to mirror how his villains became less campy and silly

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I thought I was the only one who didn't prefer Dad!Alfred.
    Definitely not alone! I prefer it too. Alfred meeting Bruce as an adult who is already Batman (or very close to it) is preferable to him being one of the worst legal guardians ever. No Alfred, put the kid into therapy instead of enabling this crime fighting thing. Phillip at least was clueless to the whole thing, and Bruce somehow ended up more well adjusted adult being raised by him than Alfred since in post-Crisis they sometimes backtracked Bruce's worst tendencies as always being there to a degree.

I don't mind the Alice Chillton thing either, as hokey of a coincidence it is.

I prefer Alfred being his guardian. But I don't mind Phillip or Mrs Chilton being incorporated into his backstory.

One thing that I wish they would incorporate from 'Untold Legends' is, Dick being with Bruce when he met his Rogues for the first time. I think it adds depth to their relationship if Dick had been there from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I prefer Alfred being his guardian. But I don't mind Phillip or Mrs Chilton being incorporated into his backstory.

One thing that I wish they would incorporate from 'Untold Legends' is, Dick being with Bruce when he met his Rogues for the first time. I think it adds depth to their relationship if Dick had been there from the start.
    You could easy put that in from a history stand point. Both Joker and Robin debuted in the same month. Robin in Detective 38 in April of 1940, and Joker in Batman 1 in 1940. And Robin was featured in Jokers first story. He was knocked out by The Joker when he was snooping around his hide out and had to be saved by Batman.

So I figured Robin was around when Batman met his rogues. The only two named ones I can think of before Robin were Doctor Death and Hugo Strange.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    You could easy put that in from a history stand point. Both Joker and Robin debuted in the same month. Robin in Detective 38 in April of 1940, and Joker in Batman 1 in 1940. And Robin was featured in Jokers first story. He was knocked out by The Joker when he was snooping around his hide out and had to be saved by Batman.

So I figured Robin was around when Batman met his rogues. The only two named ones I can think of before Robin were Doctor Death and Hugo Strange.
    Don't forget the Mad Monk and I believe the original Clayface as well.