Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

You don't know cheap until you've seen how modern Marvel cartoons look. At least the DC Animated Features have better shading.
    That's fair. I haven't seen any of the Marvel stuff. Doesn't interest me.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dunno. All I know is if they still make Peter a teen again when Miles is right there I'm not watching.

DC fans tend to be very biased when it comes to animation because that and video games are the only true arenas they have dominated in the fanboy war imo

DC has yet to produce a show that highlights the entire DCU while Marvel may churn out garbage series they have learned to sell the marvel brand
    whereas DC can only really sell grim and gritty violence and batman properties on the animated side
    Less polish is put into the animated side of things because its a literal 2-3 movie a year kind of thing for DC.

Avengers earths mightiest heroes was a good show
    Avengers Assemble wasn't bad

DC animated movies have been pretty mediocre aside from lego batman
    The only truly good animated show they produced in the last decade has been young justice and Harley Quinn

not much to ride home about
    DC hasn't even touched into the spiderverse and look how long they've been in the arena
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 01-25-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Judging by the trailer, looks like Marvel is giving their animation departments a shot in the arm. Good content is only going to breed good content from everyone involved.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

You don't know cheap until you've seen how modern Marvel cartoons look. At least the DC Animated Features have better shading.
    Boy is that true. Even Teen Titans Go has better backgrounds and animation than any of Marvel's recent cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    DC has yet to produce a show that highlights the entire DCU while Marvel may churn out garbage series they have learned to sell the marvel brand
    whereas DC can only really sell grim and gritty violence and batman properties on the animated side
    Less polish is put into the animated side of things because its a literal 2-3 movie a year kind of thing for DC.
    Young Justice and Justice League Action don't showcase the entire DCU? They definitely spotlight more of the universe than, say, the Marvel cartoons (especially when they were limited from not using stuff that Fox had the rights too).

There is nothing grim and gritty about the Lego animated films. Or DC Super Hero Girls.
    Avengers earths mightiest heroes was a good show
    Avengers Assemble wasn't bad
    Which seasons of Assemble are we talking about here?
    DC animated movies have been pretty mediocre aside from lego batman
    The only truly good animated show they produced in the last decade has been young justice and Harley Quinn
    If we count the last decade then we've got Beware the Batman, GL: TAS, DC Super Hero Girls...
    not much to ride home about
    DC hasn't even touched into the spiderverse and look how long they've been in the arena
    Spider-Verse was Sony, not Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Judging by the trailer, looks like Marvel is giving their animation departments a shot in the arm. Good content is only going to breed good content from everyone involved.
    I think it's far too soon to be assuming the What If cartoon is going to be a shot in the arm for Marvel from an animation standpoint.

Holy crap, stop with this nonsense! DC makes better cartoons and has for thirty years, DC makes better live action movies and has for fifty years, DC makes better comics and has for thirty.

DC fans need to seriously stop behaving like this.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

All they've got in the pipeline is a Moon Girl cartoon, a pre-school Spider-Man cartoon, and What If.
    Plus that awful modak canned show on hulu they are still going to release, Howard the duck may still be in the works also but not sure, what if, that pops mini episodes coming to disney plus, spider-man kids series, moon girl, and big hero 6 is getting another season and spider-verse 2.

Dc has krypto the superdog movie, harley quin series, the awful teen titans go show that won't die, young justice maybe??, and the talking batmobil preschool show, dc supergirls plus the dtvs.

Kevin smith says we are getting a new batman tas season and hints we are getting a new x-men tas season but those are not confirmed. Plus don't know if anymore marvel rising and avengers anime series episodes are in the works.

I think it's far too soon to be assuming the What If cartoon is going to be a shot in the arm for Marvel from an animation standpoint.
    Just a first impression.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Young Justice and Justice League Action don't showcase the entire DCU? They definitely spotlight more of the universe than, say, the Marvel cartoons (especially when they were limited from not using stuff that Fox had the rights too).
    And before that there was JLU.

There is nothing grim and gritty about the Lego animated films. Or DC Super Hero Girls.
    The "DC is too grim and gritty" crowd seem to think DC hasn't made anything else since BvS (which is nowhere near as dark as people claim). It's a dumb meme that no one should take seriously.

No I don’t think Marvel is going to overcome the advantage DC has built up in animation any time soon. Marvel has not matched DC’s success in the video game arena after all. That said, I really wish WB would give the animated movies a bigger budget and let them be two hours. Those movies really help expand people’s awareness of the DCU beyond just Batman and Superman, they’re worth investing more money in.

The "DC is too grim and gritty" crowd seem to think DC hasn't made anything else since BvS (which is nowhere near as dark as people claim). It's a dumb meme that no one should take seriously.
    Joker and man of steel had some pretty dark and gritty stuff also. joker even got called out for it in hishe. "that's not a origin story, thats just dark and depressing!"

Plus killing joke dtv didn't help.

Synder said his jl cut is rated R with curing batman and tons of gore so that's not going to help dcs "dark and grity" image much!

However dc has also done aquaman and ww. More lighthearted films.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-26-2021 at 06:07 AM.

For whatever reason it feels like whenever DC does something dark and gritty it never goes away, while every lighter tone movie/show/comic gets forgotten few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Joker and man of steel had some pretty dark and gritty stuff also. joker even got called out for it in hishe. "that's not a origin story, thats just dark and depressing!"

Plus killing joke dtv didn't help.

Synder said his jl cut is rated R with curing batman and tons of gore so that's not going to help dcs "dark and grity" image much!

However dc has also done aquaman and ww. More lighthearted films.
    Hishe is not exactly a smart source of criticism and MoS's darkness is greatly overstated. As I have stated, DC's output is far more varied than people say but complaining about DC being too dark and gritty is one of the Internet's favorite pastimes.

Dc generally can make better animation series. Of course Marvel and Sony do have their gems. I don't know to be honest if Marvel can do it. Dc might have the few bad gems but they have more animation series coming like the Aquaman series. Their animated to direct movies have is good some bad but mostly good. Didn't care for the shared universe art style.