Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Will Marvel Overtake DC in Animation Eventually?

The things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8sbzUCxUVo

DC always had better animation, fight choreos, and stories than past Marvel animation...should WB be worried?

TT

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Sure. All things come to an end, it's reasonable to think that at some point DC will lose an edge in animation. In thirty years, DC may crush Marvel in film.

I will say I don't know if rotoscoping is going to be the thing that kills DC animation. It's never been the most beloved technique. Time may have changed that, but I personally have never loved it.

Stories might be rad, though.

It's possible if they get better animation and keep a consistent schedule with a variety of content.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would imagine, DC's animated flicks have been extraordinarily cheap looking.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-25-2021 at 06:45 AM.

I don't think Disney is that committed to Marvel in terms of animation. Even What If just seems to be an extension of the MCU, while all their other cartoons just kind of ended and they haven't announced anything really new. And then look at how they treated their own, prior, animated efforts.

All they've got in the pipeline is a Moon Girl cartoon, a pre-school Spider-Man cartoon, and What If.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I would imagine, DC's animated flicks have been extraordinarily cheap looking.
    You don't know cheap until you've seen how modern Marvel cartoons look. At least the DC Animated Features have better shading.

Jeph Loeb being retired might just be what it takes for Marvel Animation to step up their game. Fiege's clearly interested in animation since he is doing the 'What If'.

What if 'What If' is what it takes for Marvel Animation to make their mark? A good animated show could keep viewers from unsubscribing from Disney + in between the tv shows and movies.

I love the DCAU but a lot of the guys are past their prime now. Even some of the new blood that used to work there like Joquim De Santos and Lauren Montgomery who choreographed all your favorite fights in the DCAU cartoons and in the movies have moved on to non-DC related projects for a couple of years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I will say I don't know if rotoscoping is going to be the thing that kills DC animation. It's never been the most beloved technique. Time may have changed that, but I personally have never loved it.
    Rotoscoping has been around since the Fleischer Superman show.

It's possible, sure, but other than Spiderverse I don't really think they're trying. They've tried a few times to launch DTV film series but the first one lasted 8 movies and was started almost simultaneously with the DC one. Again, around the same time Marvel introduced Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which was the last animation project from Marvel that seemed to have the same degree of effort and care as most DC cartoons.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

DC hasnt been as committed to animated shows as they were in the past so it wouldnt surprise me if Marvel did. No one really talk(ed) about Justice League Action like they do YJ or Harley Quinn. There's no new JL show even though there should be or even Batman/Superman...and for some reason they refuse to do Wonder Woman.

I would argue that they have. I've never watched a Marvel cartoon, but if they make literally anything it would be better than the garbage line of animated movies DC has put out since the New 52. Even the Killing Joke was straight up trash.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I would argue that they have. I've never watched a Marvel cartoon, but if they make literally anything it would be better than the garbage line of animated movies DC has put out since the New 52. Even the Killing Joke was straight up trash.
    DC still has Young Justice and the Harley Quinn series. The animated movies are a mixed bag but if Marvel does surpass them (and that's a big "if"), it won't happen for a long time given their own mediocre products in animation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Jeph Loeb being retired might just be what it takes for Marvel Animation to step up their game. Fiege's clearly interested in animation since he is doing the 'What If'.

What if 'What If' is what it takes for Marvel Animation to make their mark? A good animated show could keep viewers from unsubscribing from Disney + in between the tv shows and movies.
    I just hope he doesn't see animation as another extension for the MCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    DC hasnt been as committed to animated shows as they were in the past so it wouldnt surprise me if Marvel did. No one really talk(ed) about Justice League Action like they do YJ or Harley Quinn. There's no new JL show even though there should be or even Batman/Superman...and for some reason they refuse to do Wonder Woman.
    I don't think Marvel's in a much better boat...no one seems to ever talk about their cartoons much (other than Black Panther's fans with the final season of Avengers Assemble) and all their ongoing cartoons just kind of unceremoniously ended, and they dragged out the ending of Marvel's Spider-Man. And they seemingly don't have any replacement shows ready.

DC also has DC Super Hero Girls.
    I think this is really overselling modern Marvel cartoons. I mean, I've enjoyed some of them but I'd still say some of the James Tucker era of DC films or even some side films like the Batman '66 films were more memorable and looked much better in the visuals department.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    What is DC Superhero Girls if not a Wonder Woman show?

Harley Quinn, Teen Titans Go, Superhero Girls, Young Justice, and debatably Scooby Doo and Guess Who are the cartoons they currently have running, not to mention that rumor about a BTAS revival. With the exception of Teen Titans Go (which for all of its flaws you can't argue isn't popular) all of these show a greater degree of effort and care than any of Marvel's more recent shows (Admittedly a subjective judgment rather than an objective one)

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post

Harley Quinn, Teen Titans Go, Superhero Girls, Young Justice, and debatably Scooby Doo and Guess Who are the cartoons they currently have running, not to mention that rumor about a BTAS revival. With the exception of Teen Titans Go (which for all of its flaws you can't argue isn't popular) all of these show a greater degree of effort and care than any of Marvel's more recent shows (Admittedly a subjective judgment rather than an objective one)
    I don't think it's as debatable that the animation at least looks a lot better on these shows.

As much as I disagree with you on the quality of the animated movies DC has been putting out this decade, I do believe you would have to agree that they're better than Iron Man and Captain America: Heroes United (2014) or Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell (2016), the last two original Marvel animated films, neither of which were released on DVD

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post

If it isnt titled "Wonder Woman" it isnt a Wonder Woman show. Even then, I wouldnt use a show where they are all kids and aimed at even younger ages then the Timmverse as a great way to show "we have a WW animated series".