Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Will Marvel Overtake DC in Animation Eventually?

The things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8sbzUCxUVo

DC always had better animation, fight choreos, and stories than past Marvel animation...should WB be worried?

TT

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Sure. All things come to an end, it's reasonable to think that at some point DC will lose an edge in animation. In thirty years, DC may crush Marvel in film.

I will say I don't know if rotoscoping is going to be the thing that kills DC animation. It's never been the most beloved technique. Time may have changed that, but I personally have never loved it.

Stories might be rad, though.

It's possible if they get better animation and keep a consistent schedule with a variety of content.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would imagine, DC's animated flicks have been extraordinarily cheap looking.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-25-2021 at 06:45 AM.

I don't think Disney is that committed to Marvel in terms of animation. Even What If just seems to be an extension of the MCU, while all their other cartoons just kind of ended and they haven't announced anything really new. And then look at how they treated their own, prior, animated efforts.

All they've got in the pipeline is a Moon Girl cartoon, a pre-school Spider-Man cartoon, and What If.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I would imagine, DC's animated flicks have been extraordinarily cheap looking.
    You don't know cheap until you've seen how modern Marvel cartoons look. At least the DC Animated Features have better shading.

It's possible, sure, but other than Spiderverse I don't really think they're trying. They've tried a few times to launch DTV film series but the first one lasted 8 movies and was started almost simultaneously with the DC one. Again, around the same time Marvel introduced Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which was the last animation project from Marvel that seemed to have the same degree of effort and care as most DC cartoons.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

You don't know cheap until you've seen how modern Marvel cartoons look. At least the DC Animated Features have better shading.
    That's fair. I haven't seen any of the Marvel stuff. Doesn't interest me.

Boy is that true. Even Teen Titans Go has better backgrounds and animation than any of Marvel's recent cartoons.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Nobody knows cheap unless you grew up with TV animation during the '60s and '70s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Jeph Loeb being retired might just be what it takes for Marvel Animation to step up their game. Fiege's clearly interested in animation since he is doing the 'What If'.

What if 'What If' is what it takes for Marvel Animation to make their mark? A good animated show could keep viewers from unsubscribing from Disney + in between the tv shows and movies.

I love the DCAU but a lot of the guys are past their prime now. Even some of the new blood that used to work there like Joquim De Santos and Lauren Montgomery who choreographed all your favorite fights in the DCAU cartoons and in the movies have moved on to non-DC related projects for a couple of years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I will say I don't know if rotoscoping is going to be the thing that kills DC animation. It's never been the most beloved technique. Time may have changed that, but I personally have never loved it.
    Rotoscoping has been around since the Fleischer Superman show.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Rotoscoping has been around since the Fleischer Superman show.
    The first animated feature-length film, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Watched a new Amazon animated series called Undone...found the story enjoyable...but really, really impressed with the animation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    The things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8sbzUCxUVo

DC always had better animation, fight choreos, and stories than past Marvel animation...should WB be worried?

TT
    No idea. Would just like consistent quality across the board.

It would be nice if each episode of What If...!? were done in a different art style to help differentiate between the realities. Plus,I just think it'd be cool.

BANNED

It's not impossible, especially not with the current lineup of Teen Titans Go, Harley Quinn, and Young Justice, with YJ being the only one I'd say is worth watching and even then there were major problems with season 3.
    With Loeb out and Feige in the door for better animated series that aren't cash grabs riding on the MCU's success has certainly been opened, heck What If is an actual MCU tie-in but so clearly has more effort put into it than things like Avengers Assemble and the Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon.
    Plus with many things going to streaming that lessens restrictions on what they can do, who knows maybe in a few years we'll be seeing an M-rated Deadpool cartoon after all.
    EDIT: I don't know how but I left DC Superhero girls out of the lineup, and it's actually one of my favorite shows out right now, so that's 2 shows I'd honestly say are worth watching(DCSHG & YJ) but one of them has still had some big problems.
    Last edited by Jewel Runner; 01-29-2021 at 04:47 PM.