Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Judging by the trailer, looks like Marvel is giving their animation departments a shot in the arm. Good content is only going to breed good content from everyone involved.
    THIS! I was firmly in the opinion that DC was spanking Marvel ass in general animated features. However with this What If series, Marvel looks like they are finally using Disney for what their specialty is. Animation is their wheelhouse! Why did it take this long. Marvel looks to make boss level moves over DC now.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    THIS! I was firmly in the opinion that DC was spanking Marvel ass in general animated features. However with this What If series, Marvel looks like they are finally using Disney for what their specialty is. Animation is their wheelhouse! Why did it take this long. Marvel looks to make boss level moves over DC now.
    To be honest, I think the animation in Clone Wars looked better than what we saw in the trailer for What If. The attempt to match the looks of the actors looked a little too surreal for me, but I get why they did it. And, again, I feel it's too soon to tell what What If is really indicative of animation-wise.

It is kind of ironic that the main Disney cartoons after the acquisition ended up being far more lackluster compared to what came before.

Mighty Member

...I'm not sure... Marvel's animation hasn't been all that for a while (and they actually went out of its way to kill EMH). I can only hope that "What If" is a way to deviate more from the MCU, however I feel that it will still be based on the MCU. While a lot of the modern DC animated movies and series are hit and miss, they are still rather memorable, this is in comparison to the modern Marvel animated series' which are forgettable at best and bad at worse.

We'll have to see, but Marvel Studios does not do anything by halves. If they decide to go all in in pursuing animated project, DC should be worried. (If we get them sharing their IPs with their sister studios, like when they gave Big Hero 6 to Disney, DC should be really afraid; trying to be better then the Mouse or Pixar at animation is no easy feat.)

Course, it remains to be seen how Marvel-associated animation overall does going forward (I mean, despite being owned by the biggest animation-producing juggernaut around, a lot of recent projects haven't held up as well critically speaking), but Marvel is more then a match for DC with the characters and IPs they own, if they can get their ducks in a row. However, everything waxes and wanes, so DC isn't going to hold their advantage in animated content forever. Heck, while not produced by a Marvel-owned company, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse surpassed anything in DC's past portfolio, so we've seen what that looks like.

Either way, one studio making better work will force the other to make better stuff to compete, making it a win-win for the consumers. So, that's why I'm hoping Marvel closes the gap with DC here.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Short answer no. Long answer hell no. DC's been left in the dust in the live action film realm, but animation is where they still run circles around the competition.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I would argue that they have. I've never watched a Marvel cartoon, but if they make literally anything it would be better than the garbage line of animated movies DC has put out since the New 52. Even the Killing Joke was straight up trash.
    Why would you out yourself like that? lol

But in all seriousness, Marvel is nowhere close to DC yet. If you remove the anime and LEGO projects which both sides have:
    In terms of TV projects, Young Justice, DC Supergirls and JLA have better quality than Assemble and Spider-Man. I haven't seen TTGo in ages.
    For stand-alone movies, Marvel had those Rising projects which look cheaper than Spider-Man while DCAU movies upped their quality so the action and violence is better portrayed especially in movies Suicide Squad.
    "Cable was right!"

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You don't know cheap until you've seen how modern Marvel cartoons look. At least the DC Animated Features have better shading.
    Nobody knows cheap unless you grew up with TV animation during the '60s and '70s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Rotoscoping has been around since the Fleischer Superman show.
    The first animated feature-length film, too.

Watched a new Amazon animated series called Undone...found the story enjoyable...but really, really impressed with the animation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Nobody knows cheap unless you grew up with TV animation during the '60s and '70s.
    Lol, so true. The Enter the Spiderverse ending brought me back to all the old school toons. I remember the Marvel hour that used to come on, and watched religiously. It doesn't hold up well at all to me.

If anything i would prefer the old Superman cartoons animation from the 1930's or 40's? if they didn't change it up.
    Last edited by dkrook; 01-27-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Lol, so true. The Enter the Spiderverse ending brought me back to all the old school toons. I remember the Marvel hour that used to come on, and watched religiously. It doesn't hold up well at all to me.

If anything i would prefer the old Superman cartoons animation from the 1930's or 40's? if they didn't change it up.
    Agreed. BTW, '80s animation Saturday mornings might have been the ultimate pits. It wasn't really until the '90s that things started to pick up significantly.

The superman shorts were theatre cartoons however and also had one of the biggest budget for the studio at the time. They were twice as high to make then the popeye theatre shorts at the time. You can't compare that to a cheaper saturday morning cartoon like 60s spider-man or filmation adventures of batman on a tv budget.

You can compare 60s spider-man to new adventures of batman however as they are both tv shows. Keep in mind cartoon animated gets better over the years on tv.

Here's 60s spidey.

Heres batman from a year later.

Man those flashing lights in the intro! That would not be there today!

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We'll have to see, but Marvel Studios does not do anything by halves. If they decide to go all in in pursuing animated project, DC should be worried. (If we get them sharing their IPs with their sister studios, like when they gave Big Hero 6 to Disney, DC should be really afraid; trying to be better then the Mouse or Pixar at animation is no easy feat.)
    Ironically I'd say the Big Hero 6 cartoon (the series, not the movie) looks much better than other Marvel cartoons airing alongside it .

I just don't want future cartoons to continue to be extensions of the MCU, but that's what I fear with Marvel Studios.
    Course, it remains to be seen how Marvel-associated animation overall does going forward (I mean, despite being owned by the biggest animation-producing juggernaut around, a lot of recent projects haven't held up as well critically speaking), but Marvel is more then a match for DC with the characters and IPs they own, if they can get their ducks in a row. However, everything waxes and wanes, so DC isn't going to hold their advantage in animated content forever. Heck, while not produced by a Marvel-owned company, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse surpassed anything in DC's past portfolio, so we've seen what that looks like.
    I'd say it was more even once upon a time, but Marvel has kind of been shooting themselves in the foot with their animated productions so DC has taken an even larger lead since then.

I feel like it's unfair to compare Into the Spider-Verse to, say, ongoing cartoons or direct-to-DVD movies. The only really equivalent films were, I guess, the Lego Batman movie and the TTG! film, but those were going for very different audiences. Would Mask of the Phantasm be comparable despite the huge age gap?
    Either way, one studio making better work will force the other to make better stuff to compete, making it a win-win for the consumers. So, that's why I'm hoping Marvel closes the gap with DC here.
    It would be nice to see some really good Marvel cartoons .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    The things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8sbzUCxUVo

DC always had better animation, fight choreos, and stories than past Marvel animation...should WB be worried?

TT
    No idea. Would just like consistent quality across the board.

It would be nice if each episode of What If...!? were done in a different art style to help differentiate between the realities. Plus,I just think it'd be cool.