Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Squadron Supreme of America

Is the Squadron Supreme of America that appears in Avengers #18 all new members, making their first comic appearances? The Squadron Supreme confuses me.

It seems to me to be the old characters who have been brainwashed into having new backstories/identities. I assume that by the end they will break free of the mind control and back back to their old selves.

I liked Avenger 18. Would like to see this as a 12 issue limited series instead of playing out in Avengers.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The Squadron Supreme being mind-controlled/brainwashed/whatever is such a cliched story. Happens to some version of that team all of the time, which is sad, because the Avengers (without Moondragon) are no more immune to a powerful telepath than the SS is. Yet somehow only the Squadron gets that treatment.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

My recollection is they're the team created in their quickly cancelled series post-Secret Wars. Essentially, they're a Squadron Supreme from different universes that all survived in the 616.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

Not exactly. There's some fishy stuff here. This Hyperion admits to being an Eternal. I don't recall Hickman's Eternal ever stating what he was. Spectrum DEFINITELY isn't the same Spectrum post Secret Wars (unless she can use her powers to change sex). There were too Power Princesses, one was evil. I don't remember what happened to her as the tail end of that Supreme run was incredibly rushed. The other was the original Power Princess but she had lost all her powers. Nighthawk died after that run, but this being comics doesn't ensure that means anything. The speedster was Blur, a black man, so that doesn't match up either.

Right now, I assume they're all artificial creations.

We don't yet know if they are new or not. Blur seems new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    My recollection is they're the team created in their quickly cancelled series post-Secret Wars. Essentially, they're a Squadron Supreme from different universes that all survived in the 616.
    Your memory must be fuzzy. The team you're referencing had a female Spectrum, a black Blur, and Thundra on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    It seems to me to be the old characters who have been brainwashed into having new backstories/identities. I assume that by the end they will break free of the mind control and back back to their old selves.
    I don't know what to expect now that Mephisto is involved. This doesn't seem like his m.o. And what's his connection to Coulson.

How many versions have there been on Earth-616 if the latest are new? Did i forget anyone?

Doctor Spectrum of Earth-616 (Kinji Obatu)
    Doctor Spectrum Earth-616 (Billy Roberts)
    Doctor Spectrum of Earth-712 (Joseph Ledger)
    Doctor Spectrum of Earth-616 (Martha Gomes)
    Doctor Spectrum of Earth-616 (Alice Nugent)
    Doctor Spectrum of Earth-4290001
    Doctor Spectrum of Earth-616 (Joseph Ledger) [Squadron Supreme of America]

Hyperion of Earth-616 [artificial lifeform]
    Hyperion of Earth-712
    Hyperion of Earth-616 (Zhib-Ran)
    King Hyperion of Earth-4023
    Hyperion of Earth-712 [clone/zombie]
    Hyperion of Earth-13034
    Hyperion of Earth-616 [Squadron Supreme of America]

Nighthawk of Earth-616 (Kyle Richmond)
    Nighthawk of Earth-712 (Kyle Richmond)
    Nighthawk of Earth-616 (Joaquin Pennysworth)
    Nighthawk of Earth-712 (Kyle Richmond clone/zombie)
    Nighthawk of Earth-31916 (Kyle Richmond)
    Nighthawk of Earth-616 (Kyle Richmond Skrull imposter)
    Nighthawk of Earth-616 (Kyle Richmond) [Squadron Supreme of America]

Power Princess Earth-712 (Zarda Shelton)
    Power Princess (Warrior Woman) of Earth-21195
    Power Princess of Earth-712 (Zarda Shelton clone/zombie)
    Power Princess of Earth-616 (Zarda Shelton) [Squadron Supreme of America]

Whizzer of Earth-616 (James Sanders)
    Whizzer of Earth-712 (Stanley Stewart)
    Whizzer of Earth-712 [Stanley Stewart clone/zombie)
    Blur of Earth-148611 (Jeffrey Walters)
    Blur of Earth-616 (Stanley Stewart) [Squadron Supreme of America]
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 04-28-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Some of then may be from that team, but given the gender and race swapping involved it can't be all of them.

Either its a brand new group or a mix of different groups because no previous group looked quite like this.

Astonishing Member

The way Hyperion and Zarda appeared back in the flashback, it makes me think maybe they are clones, LMD or something similar. Hyperion and Zarda acted as they were robots or something, repeating the same stuff over and over. Either way, I would like they create a "stable" version of the Justice League in Marvel and stop creating new plastiches everytime I close my eyes: The Squadron Supreme, 616's Ultimates, the Great Society, certain individuals (Sentry, Moon Knight, Thundra, Quasar, Quicksilver...).... Just pick one version and stick to it, please!

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Whatever or whoever they are, Coulson better keep an eye on Nighthawk.

Extraordinary Member

There seems to be an issue with how the US Government of 616 creates super teams. Freedom Force (mutant terrorist given a pass), Thunderbolts (super villians given a pass), Squadron Supreme of America (brainwashed)...sure there was X-Factor...but why isn't the .gov just recruiting superhumans or making their own with volunteers from the military, law enforcement or intelligence service.

That seems to be an issue with all MU governments. I mean Canada comes across as evil in the MU due to Weapon X etc. Canada.

And yeah dunno what to expect with Mephisto pulling the strings, and there is definitely some fishiness there, but it's too early to say what exactly is up, so far all we really know is that the personalities and possibly even names they state are not their real ones due to brainwashing.

As for Mephisto's connection to Coulson, I presume it was your standard issue resurrection with strings deal. I somehow doubt Coulson on his own would be this vindictive over his death, and with Mephisto being there its looking like he brought him back so that he'd have a puppet on the inside. Though again too early to say why he is doing this. But given the flashbacks to the million BC team it would appear its a convoluted attempt to target the Avengers specifically, maybe he saw a lineup with a lot of similarities to the one from back in the day, but probably more specifically a Ghost Rider, and... Something... Its hard to say without knowing what he was trying to accomplish a million years ago.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-28-2019 at 03:24 PM.