Extraordinary Member

Default Better Superman II Film - Christopher Reeves film from 1980s

Which version of Superman II do you prefer - Richard Lester's film that appeared at movie theaters or Richard Donner's film that was on dvds?

Lester's film had the opening scene at the Eifel Tower in which Lois maneuvers her way under the elevator to try to get a story.

I think Donner's would have been better but as is Lester's is better.

I wish there was a Lester edition with the Jor-El's scenes and Lex's extra scenes added. and I've heard there are some fan edits I might seek one out someday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

I wish there was a Lester edition with the Jor-El's scenes and Lex's extra scenes added. and I've heard there are some fan edits I might seek one out someday.
    I agree that I fell Lester's is better. I actually preferred Superman II to the original Superman film when it came out in 1980.

I'm surprised that there are extra Lex scenes. I had read somewhere that Gene Hackman refused to film any additional scenes our of respect to Donner.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I agree that I fell Lester's is better. I actually preferred Superman II to the original Superman film when it came out in 1980.

I'm surprised that there are extra Lex scenes. I had read somewhere that Gene Hackman refused to film any additional scenes our of respect to Donner.
    They were film by Donner they were cut because Lester had to have directed a certain percentage of the film to get directing credit. All Lex scenes in Superman II are directed by Donner. Jor-El was cut because the producers didn't want to pay Brando extra.

If Donner had made the film he wanted, it would have been better. But his cut is just a what might have been.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

This is my stance. "The Donner Cut" we have is a lie, just doesn't work overall. Lester's vision of Superman II is poor, but his is a complete coherent film that doesn't totally ruin Donner's contributions.

Fan edits are the only way we'll ever get the best Superman II. I don't currently have access to any. I'm guessing there are good ones out there.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”