Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 112
  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    There was a mock trailer for an Auror centric TV show. I actually liked the idea and wouldn't mind if they actually did it.

    It's a cop show with Wizards.

    Looks lame, sorry. Even as a parody. And I don't know after BLM, if a cop show take on HP is really what the public wants.

    Especially since the best version of fantasy police is Terry Pratchett's Discworld and that one is currently adapted into a series called THE WATCH. Likewise you had BRIGHT, that failed attempt at a fantasy cop series that tanked a few years back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Hence why either James and Lilly or Dumbledore are the best picks if they want to have something set in Hogwarts. Everyone pretty much knows who those are, even outside the die hards.
    Totally.

    James and Lilly provides a iconic love triangle with the younger Snape that the Reylo types will no doubt pawn over, and you also get to develop characters like Sirius, Peter, Remus and the like further.
    Plus you have arcs of character development, you got incidents like them breaking rules and sneaking out and exploring the castle and so on. You got a cast of characters (James, Lily, Snape, Sirius, Remus, Peter) that gives you all the dramatic stuff you need -- humor, romance, tragedy, horror, action, betrayal -- and all the stuff that animated the school setting in the HP films.

    Whilst Dumbledore gives you the origin of one of the most powerful wizards in history with a firm LBGT lead.
    Hehn...Dumbledore's supposed to be this model student who f--ked up in his gap year. The young student at Hogwarts isn't the most interesting version of him, and on the whole he doesn't really work as a protagonist of a story. He operates best as plot furniture.

    That saying, I don't believe shows in the Wizarding World should remain confined to Hogwarts and Britain, but it would make sense to start with one, perhaps setting stuff up that can go further afield in other spin off shows, ala The Mandalorian.
    I doubt that, HP as a series isn't as big as Star Wars as a setting. There's not a lot of room to do stuff like The Mandalorian.

  2. #32
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    It's possible they will want to make an Ilvermore show, Rowling did create whole story about the school, it's houses, history and founders.

    The only problem, imo, is that Ilvermore is not Hogwarts, and the fans will know it.

  3. #33
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    They should make a trans character to spite J.K Rowling.
    I find Rowling a really good writer, like her prose and reading the Strike novels really come to appreaciate her ploting. But, imo, her true genius is how she was able to keep a hold on her intelectual property that very few creators are able to.
    Its worth remember that the only reason we didn't get a american Harry on the movies direct by Spielberg is because Rowling said no.

    Most times when a creator sell/license the movie/tv/game rights, they got the money but no creative imput, Rowling on the other hand have it. The only way a tv show based on HP happens is if she allow it, and she most likely will want to have her voice heard when it comes to the creative side, at the very least she will want to be able to veto stuff.

    If WarnerMedia gives her enough money she may let someone else showrun/write the series, but she will definitely want to read every script. So, making anything to spite her is a good way of making sure the show doesn't happen.

  4. #34
    BANNED Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,120

    Default

    To be clear, Spielberg declined on his own. It wasn't because Rowling said no. The cast being kept English was in her original deal, though.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Looks lame, sorry. Even as a parody. And I don't know after BLM, if a cop show take on HP is really what the public wants.

    Especially since the best version of fantasy police is Terry Pratchett's Discworld and that one is currently adapted into a series called THE WATCH. Likewise you had BRIGHT, that failed attempt at a fantasy cop series that tanked a few years back.
    Bright was hated by critics but did quite well with audiences. Also, BLM is not going to affect a Harry Potter property in any way shape or form and to be honest I don't know how anyone connects the two. Also The Watch is....not very good.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  6. #36
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    To be clear, Spielberg declined on his own. It wasn't because Rowling said no. The cast being kept English was in her original deal, though.
    I don't know why he declined, but he did want to cast the boy from AI to be Harry Potter for what I've read. I believe the Io9 did a good piece about the first Potter movie, they give more details there.

  7. #37
    BANNED Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,120

    Default

    He also wanted to do an animated film, and apparently wasn't trying to stick to one book per film. So, difference in creative vision.

  8. #38
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    To be clear, Spielberg declined on his own. It wasn't because Rowling said no. The cast being kept English was in her original deal, though.
    Spielberg said that for him Harry Potter was a slam dunk and not challenging enough.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/200...tevenspielberg

    "I really believe that as I grow up I have a responsibility to tell stories that are a little more authentic," he said. "I purposely didn't do the Harry Potter movie because for me, that was shooting ducks in a barrel. It's just a slam-dunk. It's just like withdrawing a billion dollars and putting it into your personal bank accounts. There's no challenge in that."

    Stories that are 'a little more authentic', that's some serious major shade on the Berg's part. This was in 2001.

    Rowling also wanted Terry Gilliam.
    https://theplaylist.net/jk-rowling-w...m-to-20090204/

    But Gilliam's recent movies were flops and too much of a flight risk for the studios to back such an unconventional film-maker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Bright was hated by critics but did quite well with audiences. Also, BLM is not going to affect a Harry Potter property in any way shape or form and to be honest I don't know how anyone connects the two. Also The Watch is....not very good.
    Well Harry Potter as it is has come in for serious criticism because it normalizes slavery, trafficks in anti-semitic stereotypes with the Goblins, and has a lot of other tone deaf stuff, centering a series on the law enforcement of the Wizarding World's government in charge of enforcing its bizarre laws and its sub-medieval prison system is gonna dial up those issues and not dial it down.

    And again, the Ministry of Magic doesn't have the same emotional connection that Hogwarts itself does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    He also wanted to do an animated film, and apparently wasn't trying to stick to one book per film. So, difference in creative vision.
    It would have been cool to see that, mashing the different books in a single narrative.

    It'd be like Boorman's Excalibur where the entire Arthurian saga gets done in a 2 hour movie and somehow it totally works.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    It's possible they will want to make an Ilvermore show, Rowling did create whole story about the school, it's houses, history and founders.

    The only problem, imo, is that Ilvermore is not Hogwarts, and the fans will know it.
    I would love a show based in the American school. (Or even one of the other contintents) I do think it will suffer a problem with the casuals who might not get any of the references.

    In all likelihood if this show is successful there could be multiple ones.

    Demographics is also an issue. The original kids who grew up to read Harry Potter are all adults now. Would they really watch another group of kids in a school growing up all over again? Or do you not care and want to grab newer audiences with a more modern table?

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well Harry Potter as it is has come in for serious criticism because it normalizes slavery, trafficks in anti-semitic stereotypes with the Goblins, and has a lot of other tone deaf stuff, centering a series on the law enforcement of the Wizarding World's government in charge of enforcing its bizarre laws and its sub-medieval prison system is gonna dial up those issues and not dial it down.

    And again, the Ministry of Magic doesn't have the same emotional connection that Hogwarts itself.
    The only place it comes in for that "serious criticism" is on Twitter and internet think pieces on sites that the average Harry Potter fan does not care about. Your point about The Ministry of Magic has merit.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  11. #41
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Demographics is also an issue. The original kids who grew up to read Harry Potter are all adults now. Would they really watch another group of kids in a school growing up all over again? Or do you not care and want to grab newer audiences with a more modern table?
    I think the HP series charm revolved on a certain quaint Englishness that was repackaged and re-curated with care. If you do it with an American or French setting you need to do a kind of American quaintness or a French quaintness.

    The fact is that Hogwarts is supposed to be a 19th Century Boarding School that was originally boys-only and meant for preppy upper-class types. Rowling changed it by making the schools co-ed, and open for all students provided they have magic powers in a kind of socialized education system. The 19th Century Boarding School is a kind of model for Englishness around the world. Many movies and TV did that setting.

    Whereas in America, the school setting is based on stuff like Grease, American Graffiti, Rebel Without A Cause, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Mean Girls...you know jocks, nerds, prom queen, outcasts. If you did an American Hogwarts and set it in the Private Schools modelled on the UK private schools, literally nobody would recognize it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The only place it comes in for that "serious criticism" is on Twitter and internet think pieces on sites that the average Harry Potter fan does not care about. Your point about The Ministry of Magic has merit.
    Well I take what I can get. Thanks anyway.

    Obviously WB will do what it thinks is right and safest. The fact that I don't like the idea means little because I am just one fan among others.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-26-2021 at 12:30 PM.

  12. #42
    BANNED Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spielberg said that for him Harry Potter was a slam dunk and not challenging enough.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/200...tevenspielberg

    "I really believe that as I grow up I have a responsibility to tell stories that are a little more authentic," he said. "I purposely didn't do the Harry Potter movie because for me, that was shooting ducks in a barrel. It's just a slam-dunk. It's just like withdrawing a billion dollars and putting it into your personal bank accounts. There's no challenge in that."

    Stories that are 'a little more authentic', that's some serious major shade on the Berg's part. This was in 2001.
    He's not wrong. There's not much "authentic" about Harry Potter.

  13. #43
    Incredible Member green_garnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    855

    Default

    They're are easily five seasons worth of shows to be made about the creation of Hogwarts and the people involved.

  14. #44
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    If anything they'll probably do it to show she isn't trans-phobic.
    The thing is, a lot of people who really like her now, probably do so because she's transphobic. So if they introduce a trans character, her loyal fans might see this as a betrayal and label JK as a traitor (as these folks are inclined to do). Yes...it's a perfect plan!

    Transrights are human rights!
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  15. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Looks lame, sorry. Even as a parody. And I don't know after BLM, if a cop show take on HP is really what the public wants.
    The past 10 years of public coverage of police brutality and racism haven't stopped people tuning into police procedurals. If a cop show version of Harry Potter fails, it won't be because of BLM. Hell, even some people in the movement like cop shows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •