Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    They should make a trans character to spite J.K Rowling.
    That's not a good reason to include a trans character.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-26-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The thing is, a lot of people who really like her now, probably do so because she's transphobic. So if they introduce a trans character, her loyal fans might see this as a betrayal and label JK as a traitor (as these folks are inclined to do). Yes...it's a perfect plan!

Transrights are human rights!
    A lot of people who like her because she's transphobic also tend to not like her because she's otherwise fairly progressive.

A trans character in the HP world would likely be totally different in that they could use magic to transform themselves. It would be an interesting character to be sure, but I could see it not being well taken to because it would have a different set of problems.

BANNED

I don't think JK Rowling will mind a transgender character despite her personal views of what defines a man or woman simply because she is not transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think JK Rowling will mind a transgender character despite her personal views of what defines a man or woman simply because she is not transphobic.
    Her "personal views" are pretty much textbook transphobic

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The past 10 years of public coverage of police brutality and racism haven't stopped people tuning into police procedurals. If a cop show version of Harry Potter fails, it won't be because of BLM. Hell, even some people in the movement like cop shows.
    Harry potter was perfect at allegories. elves in harry potter would be a stand in for some kind of brutality by higher authorities. many elves in harry potter are in enslavement and get treated like trash by their masters. some never get free like Dobby. then there are the muggleborns that do experience prejudice it was explored in the movies but more could have been done.

This is one of the best scenes in a harry potter film. one of the scenes that is better than the book scene.

The only way a trans character is on any Harry Potter adaptation is if she let it happens. I can see a scenario where she allows it to rehabilitate her image.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The only way a trans character is on any Harry Potter adaptation is if she let it happens. I can see a scenario where she allows it to rehabilitate her image.
    She doesn't think anything is wrong with her image, or opinions. That's why she's tripled down on them with novel length explanations/defenses of them.

Honestly if this show happens Rowling will either have creative input or at least get a nice check from the show.

Rowling isn't going to sign away her rights to anything Potter so it will in the end come down to either separating the art from the artist or not supporting it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Yeah honestly at this point if it bothers you that she’ll be involved or profit then don’t see it. Just be considerate of everyone else who might want to. I can at least admire JK for not wanting others to mess too much with her own world as people could argue has happened with other fandoms.

Ultimate Member

Harry potter was perfect at allegories. elves in harry potter would be a stand in for some kind of brutality by higher authorities. many elves in harry potter are in enslavement and get treated like trash by their masters. some never get free like Dobby. then there are the muggleborns that do experience prejudice it was explored in the movies but more could have been done.

This is one of the best scenes in a harry potter film. one of the scenes that is better than the book scene.

Perhaps because they changed it a lot from the book rather than allow Hermione to be shown to not know something and for Ron to know what she didn't...

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Perhaps because they changed it a lot from the book rather than allow Hermione to be shown to not know something and for Ron to know what she didn't...
    Yeah to be fair once I listened to the audiobook I felt the same way - having Ron know about it and be defensive for Hermione showed that he already had feelings for her.

She most definitely is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Yeah to be fair once I listened to the audiobook I felt the same way - having Ron know about it and be defensive for Hermione showed that he already had feelings for her.
    By the end of the second book it's clear that Ron already views Hermione as like she were a member of the family, he's that protective of her already...though the movies did a whole lot to push the idea of anybody but Ron with Hermione despite Rowling saying that the movies were dropping anvil sized hints about Ron/Hermione there were still many that missed them, the problem with the movies was that they took out most of the building blocks that were there for the main relationships...even the troll incident in the first movie got changed and by the third movie Ron was declaring that if Sirius wanted to kill Harry that he'd have to kill Ron and Hermione first, all while standing up on a badly broken leg and nearly passing out from the effort...that act of bravery/foolishness was given to Hermione in the movie, it was Hermione being absent that prompted Ron to go into the forest with Harry after the spiders, he braved his worst fear for her and at least twice Ron almost decked Draco for hoping that the basilisk had killed Hermione, having to be physically restrained both times...

My biggest hot take on Harry Potter is that the the world is not all that interesting. The characters are what sell the series. I'm not entirely sure how to treat that when it comes to a new series, but it's something to consider.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd probably put Harry in a different house for the lulz. Seriously tho, another adaptation is fine. Harry Potter is a coming of age story so letting kids rediscover his journey is a decent idea.

I'm cool with a separate spinoff. Fantastic Beasts had the right idea for a spinoff. It was just squandered by tieing into Grindelwald and botching it.

Someone on YouTube fancasted a potential series about the Hogwarts founders and i'd watch it.

Harry Potter in Slytherin

Hermione Granger in Ravenclaw

While I like this idea, it is way too different from the books.