Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, His Dark Materials, Star Wars, MARVEL, Percy Jackson, Alex Rider...for the love of God, start developing Deltora Quest and Song of the Lioness and complete the televisation of my childhood!!!
    I wish the Alex Rider series got more promo. So many people read that series but I barely noticed any hype around it. I hope they make an adaptation of Anthony Horowitz's other series, Power of Five. That series had a diverse cast before it was trendy.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I wish the Alex Rider series got more promo. So many people read that series but I barely noticed any hype around it. I hope they make an adaptation of Anthony Horowitz's other series, Power of Five. That series had a diverse cast before it was trendy.
    I honestly didn't know the Alex Rider (TV) series was a thing until it popped up as a recommendation on my Prime account. Apparently it's an IMDB series or something? My first thought was "f---ing everyone's got a streaming service these days" but apparently since I have Prime I got to watch Alex Rider for free. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, though I loved the books.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It's not a direct fair analysis to compare harry potter directly to star wars, star wars is high fantasy, like lord of the rings, its a whole new world and almost if not everything is made up. harry potter is in between low fantasy and high fantasy or let me just say contemporary--urban fantasy, its a made up world within our real world, on paper star wars lore is richer because it creates more.

harry potter at this point has a bigger potential to be more star trek than star wars in lore , the lore of trek is just as rich as star wars but that has taken years and decades of external add ons and multiple spin of shows . it will also take jk rowling giving people the power to start creating more with her wizarding world universe , a series on HBO Max is the perfect foundation.
    She has already done that or is in the early process of doing so. She has no involvement with Hogwarts Legacy.

BANNED

Yeah I'm late to this and probably bringing up a thread best left dead, but I don't think she's a transphobe. That implies she's afraid of them. I rather think she's just a bigot and dislikes them unreasonably

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Yeah I'm late to this and probably bringing up a thread best left dead, but I don't think she's a transphobe. That implies she's afraid of them. I rather think she's just a bigot and dislikes them unreasonably
    Transphobe is the name for people who hate/dislike unreasonably trans people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Transphobe is the name for people who hate/dislike unreasonably trans people.
    Transphobe literally means fear of trans

I'm just saying let's not put this woman in the same space as claustrophobes. She's a bigot.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 02-01-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Transphobe literally means fear of trans

I'm just saying let's not put this woman in the same space as claustrophobes. She's a bigot.
    It's what it's called

Transphobia is a collection of ideas and phenomena that encompass a range of negative attitudes, feelings or actions towards transgender people or transness in general. Transphobia can include fear, aversion, hatred, violence, anger, or discomfort felt or expressed towards people who do not conform to social gender expectations. It is often expressed alongside homophobic views and hence is often considered an aspect of homophobia. Transphobia is a type of prejudice and discrimination, similar to racism and sexism, and transgender people of color are often subjected to all three forms of discrimination at once.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transphobia

BANNED

Ok, if you insist on making her more vanilla that's up to you I guess. But the word means something entirely different and more rational than what you're suggesting.

Ok, if you insist on making her more vanilla that's up to you I guess. But the word means something entirely different and more rational than what you're suggesting.
    I don't know why you're trying to rehab the word here

BANNED

I don't know why you're trying to rehab the word here
    I'm trying to restore the word. You're trying to turn it into something less bad, and she doesn't deserve that. I dislike diluting the meaning of words.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 02-01-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

"Homophobia" and "Transphobia" are widely understood to mean contempt and opposition rather than just fear. The hatred is usually based on some kind of fear, but fear is not the presenting emotion.

One thing I learned in language studies is that words mean what people collectively decide they mean, not what the etymology dictionary says they mean. It's been driving linguists and purists crazy for centuries, but that's the way it is.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm trying to restore the word. You're trying to turn it into something less bad, and she doesn't deserve that. I dislike diluting the meaning of words.
    You don't get to decide how words are commonly used.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You don't get to decide how words are commonly used.
    No I don't, but I do get to express my personal frustration with how people seem to casually describe her with a term that is less hateful than her view really is.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

"Misotransia?"

Seems like such a short word for 5 syllables.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

No I don't, but I do get to express my personal frustration with how people seem to casually describe her with a term that is less hateful than her view really is.
    It's a really hateful term and is understood to be really hateful term by just about everyone who uses it or hears it...it's only when you take it at face value from a truncated dictionary definition that it seems less hateful...but since you're the first person I've ever seen do that I think it's safe to assume that's a very small number of people.