Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would suspect that the vast majority either don't know about the controversy, don't care or agree with her bigotries which she claims she doesn't have while doubling down on them.
    Or some may be cognizant of what she has proclaimed and are fans of the work that enchanted them and still hold dear, and are able to separate the two. I am not a Harry Potter fan, but my husband is. I have been to all the Harry Potter stores, amusement parks, etc. I see the joy the work brings to the fans of the series and that should not be dampened.

Please let's continue to condemn everyone and everything that does not align with our own personal views viewpoints.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like the show will be constantly dogged by the shadow of the movies even if, ideally, they should have more time to more faithfully adapt the books and characters if they're giving a season for each book. Provided they actually adapt it well.

(I also foresee racebend casting controversy).
    Racebend casting controversies are pretty much inevitable these days for any kind of adaptation.

And given how JKR (who ironically use to be a darling of the left and progressives back in the day) has earned the ire of the woke mob, you can bet that WB will want to at least avoid accusations of 'racism' and maybe even 'homophobia'. I'm pretty sure JKR won't budge on the trans issue though, so we probably aren't going to see someone being turned into a trans character.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    A TV series is a better fit to adapt books, the problem is Kids age in fast and unexpected ways, add to that they can't have them sign 10 year contracts. Even if they got away with that how's the motivation and acting ability going to be when some of them are sick of doing it or want way more money.

It should be a recast that goes into the future of the universe, past the books so no one is irreplaceable or required forever (what 10 years is to a 12 year old actor)

Another problem will be the difference between movie special effects budget, and weekly TV show budget. I would just cast some 20 somethings and move forward. I imagine Rowling has given it a lot of thought over the years even if she didn't want to write more potter novels.

The only plus is that Rowling will take a more active role in the scripts, but then again the movies were a good enough live action adaptation for me (A cartoon with adult voice actors would be much safer). They got really lucky with the child actors from the films. It could have gone way worse starting off with a large cast of pre-teen talent.
    I don't think it literally has to be 10 years though...at least for the filming. And its not as though this will be the first TV show that runs for the better part of a decade with a cast of children.

If we're at something like 8-10 episodes per book (actually, probably less for the first two), I see no reason why they can't film, say, 2 books at a time at least with the early ones, but release them across 2 seasons.

There are ways around it.

And how many significant kid characters are there across all 7 books? Harry, Ron, Hermione of course. Neville. Ginny. Fred and George (and they're more of a background presence). Draco Malfoy. Most of the other kid characters only appear, or are focused on, in a book or two (Cho Chang for instance, or Cedric Diggory). Some of the minor ones could even be recast over time. (Hell, even a character like Ginny could theoretically be recast...have a 10-11 year old play her in Chamber of Secrets, and maybe get a new teenage actress for the later books where she has a more significant role as Harry's girlfriend).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Honestly it’s idiotic. The only advantage I can see is that they can bring in more elements from the books into the series and create a more authentic recreation of the books, but there’s also going to be the inevitable arrays of audiences that demand an infinite amount of changes or demands to keep things the same, and adding to that fire will no doubt be JK’s involvement and significant changes to the characters, for better or worse. (Hermione being black Annabeth Chase style is pretty much inevitable.)
    Yeah.
    I used to be a huge fan of the books and wanted a more faithful adaptation, but even without the issues with JKR, it's much too early for a new version. The original actors are still on everyone's mind when we think of the characters.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Yeah.
    I used to be a huge fan of the books and wanted a more faithful adaptation, but even without the issues with JKR, it's much too early for a new version. The original actors are still on everyone's mind when we think of the characters.
    That argument doesn't really hold muster though.

Tobey Maguire was very much on everyone's minds when Andrew Garfield took over as Peter Parker, and both were on everyone's minds when Tom Holland took over. Between 2022 and 2023, we've gonna have three different version of Batman on-screen (possibly more if certain rumors are true) and before the decade is out we'll have yet another version. We've already had 3 different Spocks and 2 different Kirks appear in the last 15 years (2 different Uhuras too). Hell, we've even had 3 different Sarah Connors in the past 15 years!

There's nothing that makes Harry Potter any more special as a franchise to be an exemption. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson are the first, but they don't have to be the last. It's been over 20 years since the first film came out, and over ten since the last. I think it's okay for us to get a re-adaptation of the first book in the next couple of years.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

not super into the main characters/school stuff but if this could lead to spinoffs/universe stuff im optimistic, hope their budget is massive

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That argument doesn't really hold muster though.

Tobey Maguire was very much on everyone's minds when Andrew Garfield took over as Peter Parker, and both were on everyone's minds when Tom Holland took over. Between 2022 and 2023, we've gonna have three different version of Batman on-screen (possibly more if certain rumors are true) and before the decade is out we'll have yet another version. We've already had 3 different Spocks and 2 different Kirks appear in the last 15 years (2 different Uhuras too). Hell, we've even had 3 different Sarah Connors in the past 15 years!

There's nothing that makes Harry Potter any more special as a franchise to be an exemption. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson are the first, but they don't have to be the last. It's been over 20 years since the first film came out, and over ten since the last. I think it's okay for us to get a re-adaptation of the first book in the next couple of years.
    I think the main difference here is that those films were actually different so different actors weren't a big deal. Sure, it wasn't a continuation of the previous series, but it wasn't as if Andrew Garfield's film was a remake of the first Toby Maguire Spider-Man film with he same story and villain and it was the same with Tom Holland's films. But a series literally covering the exact same ground as the previous films?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think the main difference here is that those films were actually different so different actors weren't a big deal. Sure, it wasn't a continuation of the previous series, but it wasn't as if Andrew Garfield's film was a remake of the first Toby Maguire Spider-Man film with he same story and villain and it was the same with Tom Holland's films. But a series literally covering the exact same ground as the previous films?
    I agree with this. It's different if it's a new story, plus comic book fans are used to always having new stories about the same characters written by new creative teams.
    A new adaptation of the same book that was already told and finished is different.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Gray View Post
    Or some may be cognizant of what she has proclaimed and are fans of the work that enchanted them and still hold dear, and are able to separate the two. I am not a Harry Potter fan, but my husband is. I have been to all the Harry Potter stores, amusement parks, etc. I see the joy the work brings to the fans of the series and that should not be dampened.

Please let's continue to condemn everyone and everything that does not align with our own personal views viewpoints.
    That's where the "Don't care" part comes in.

Look, I liked the books too. I liked many of the movies as well, but separating the work from the author's views only goes so far when you're financially supporting that author's views. Which this series is doing.

And if financially supporting a transphobic bigot who will take that money and donate it to anti-trans movements doesn't dampen the joy the work brings to you, I think it's perfectly valid for people who do care about trans people to be disappointed

Astonishing Member

A replay of the stories, having read the books and seen the movies, holds no interest to me. New stories - maybe - how about the wizards deal with the real world when their kids discover cell phones and tell them to shove all their old fuddy customs. I also have problems with Dumbledore being an unethical, idiot, wandering around in my Grandmother's bathrobe or quilt.

This project makes a lot of sense right now, especially with the convenience of crossing over the TV shows and the original cast with a Cursed Child adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    A replay of the stories, having read the books and seen the movies, holds no interest to me. New stories - maybe - how about the wizards deal with the real world when their kids discover cell phones and tell them to shove all their old fuddy customs. I also have problems with Dumbledore being an unethical, idiot, wandering around in my Grandmother's bathrobe or quilt.
    The TV show would have to include new scenes. It would be structured differently.

We're probably going to have almost every scene from the books, and some additional stuff, especially early on, when the novels were shorter.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Given the outcome is well known, adding a few scenes, not really that exciting for me. It's like a LOTR show from the Trilogy, except for showing Tom Bombadil, not much more I'm interested in.

What suspense - is Harry going to die - No. Going to hook up with Hermione, no. Dumbledore going to save the day - no, that idiot manages to kill himself because of bad strategic planning. Oh, is that evil professor a bad guy - oh, he's a secret good guy. Is Voldy going to win - no.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Gray View Post

Y'know, you actually had me agreeing with you until you threw in that last sentence.

Please let's continue to condemn everyone and everything that does not align with our own personal viewpoint that bigotry is bad!!!! You probably don't mean racism or bigotries that are no longer socially acceptable, just the still socially acceptable ones liker anti-trans bigotry.

But that illustrates the whole point. When people say things like "IF you support trans rights, please don't buy this product because, by buying it, you are supporting an anti-trans bigot", people start squirming and maybe even accuse the person who said that of somehow bullying when the truth is that it's probably making people uncomfortable because they want the product but they know it is supporting someone who is blatantly anti-trans. It makes them wrestle with their conscience. That's their problem and I'm not going to go along with your basic argument which is, "But I want the product so stop reminding me I'm supporting a bigot".

And let me make it clear. My *own* *personal* *viewpoint* is that bigotry is wrong. What's your own personal viewpoint?

I readily grant that, at this time, if every single person who was in favor of trans rights refused to buy the product, it would make almost zero difference to her profits. I also fully understand wanting something more than standing by my principals. I've done it. Everyone has. But people calling me on it is on me, not them.
    Power with Girl is better.