Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default People who do stupid things in movies that really bug you.

So When I watch a movie it bugs me when people do really stupid things. I dont mean the dumb girl who runs upstairs ion the horror movie rather then out the door. I mean really dumb WTF moments that even for a movie are bad.

My top two ended in people getting killed.

The first is in The Walking Tall Movie. The original one not the Rock one.

This man who became a cop has been attacked and targeted by bad guys since day one. They were gunning for him. So what does he do when he gets a call that requires him in his role as officer of the law? He decides to take his wife. And he is attacked and she is killed. And yet everyone seems shocked by this.

The movie based on Ed Gien the killer. The whole town is wary of this guy. Think there is something off at best and dangerous at worst. yet the woman in the shop not only gives him a gun and ammo after being creeped out in the store by some things he said. But she then turns her back to him. And she of course gets shot in the back. I hate victim shaming but man she had it coming. if I was in that store and ol Ed had not shot her I may have done so myself just because.

So what are yours?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Every good guy who is standing five feet from the bad guy with a gun to his wife, girlfriend, partner's head, and puts his gun down. At five feet I can shoot someone in the eye, and I don't have a lot of training.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I was talking w. a guy today at a different site about the one Transformers movie where they try to recreate Optimus but use Megatron's template and can't figure out why the end result keeps looking like Megatron.

That’s about as stupid as trying to recreate Mahatma Gandhi using Adolph Hitler’s DNA and then doing a head scratch when the result is a tiny imperialistic man w. a Toothbrush Mustache.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Every good guy who is standing five feet from the bad guy with a gun to his wife, girlfriend, partner's head, and puts his gun down. At five feet I can shoot someone in the eye, and I don't have a lot of training.
    I like (because it’s soooo stupid) when the law enforcement types are walking up to someone sketchy, and identify themselves from about ten feet away, giving that person a great head start when he or she decides to bolt.

I know it’s done to get a chase scene in there, but in universe? That’s dumb af!

Speaking of chase scenes. I love when the cops chase a strung out junkie for 8 blocks at full speed. They should be bent over gasping for air after a block or two.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

One thing that does bug me on like legal movies. Prison movies where the guards form a friendship with the inmates and such. Even in comedies it bugs me. I cant speak for everywhere but in my prison there was not talk or friendly banter with the guards. And it was treated as very odd when an inmate tried to get friendly with a Co and we watched out for him because there was a chance he was looking for favors or a snitch. Either way it was bad news for other inmates around him. I know in the prison if a guard was seen talking to an inmate in anything that was not an official capacity Ie Giving orders, asking questions, doing a search etc. That guard was removed from the pod.

So having been in prison I just cant get in with the feel good stories of guards and inmates being friends. There were nice guards and by nice I mean they did not go out of their way to make our lives hell. But there were no questions about family, or how our day is going or any of that crap.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I don't have a specific example, but I hate when characters will confide an explosive secret to a relative, friend, co-worker that they KNOW is going to blab it all over the place so that it will get back to the one person they do not want to ever find out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    One thing that does bug me on like legal movies. Prison movies where the guards form a friendship with the inmates and such. Even in comedies it bugs me. I cant speak for everywhere but in my prison there was not talk or friendly banter with the guards. And it was treated as very odd when an inmate tried to get friendly with a Co and we watched out for him because there was a chance he was looking for favors or a snitch. Either way it was bad news for other inmates around him. I know in the prison if a guard was seen talking to an inmate in anything that was not an official capacity Ie Giving orders, asking questions, doing a search etc. That guard was removed from the pod.

So having been in prison I just cant get in with the feel good stories of guards and inmates being friends. There were nice guards and by nice I mean they did not go out of their way to make our lives hell. But there were no questions about family, or how our day is going or any of that crap.
    Did you see Escape from Dannemora? How realistic was it's depiction? The "friendship" was portrayed as highly unusual.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It's my favorite Christmas movie... but in Miracle on 34th Street, I never could figure out why Sawyer didn't just bring assault charges against Kris instead of going through all that rigmarole to get him committed.

Did you see Escape from Dannemora? How realistic was it's depiction? The "friendship" was portrayed as highly unusual.
    I cant say to be honest as I have never heard of this movie. But I will check it out. I would like to see what it is like. Is it a drama? Comedy?

It is just always been a pet peeve of mine. like in comedies it bugs me but Not as much because i know it is meant to be silly. but the dramas with the understanding guard who is trying to help the inmate and all that. You will not see a guard coming up to an inmate and trying to help him turn his life around, give advice, ask about family, or see how he can help the inmate in any way. Most of the time it is stay out of our way and dont give us a reason to talk to you. Saying good morning maybe about as friendly as it got. At best you would get cordial not friendly.

it was I have to say different for my work boss. I worked in the prison library. I had two bosses. Not guards, they were normal people who worked for the prison. both were polite to the inmates. Well as polite as they were allowed to be. It was still professional but it was friendly professional. Like you could joke with the two of them, with in reason. like how bad the food was. Or just talk to them they way you would talk to a boss at a normal job. but we always remembered we had to be respectful. They were friendly and polite but not friends. And to be honest in that place that was a welcome change.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Prometheus. Everything anyone does in that movie is so damn stupid. Let's walk around this planet we know nothing about without out helmets, don't run to your left when the giant piece of space debris is coming at you in just own direction, put her head over the alien egg because the android told you to.

Extraordinary Member

Okay, I LOVE The Goonies. I really do. It's a movie I can watch over and over.

However, it drives me crazy when the kids find One Eyed Willie's ship and have an opportunity to grab as much of his treasure as they possibly can so they can save their neighborhood.

They know that the Fratelli family is right on their tail. And yet, they drag around giving speeches and wasting time like they have all day.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Okay, I LOVE The Goonies. I really do. It's a movie I can watch over and over.

However, it drives me crazy when the kids find One Eyed Willie's ship and have an opportunity to grab as much of his treasure as they possibly can so they can save their neighborhood.

They know that the Fratelli family is right on their tail. And yet, they drag around giving speeches and wasting time like they have all day.
    This! Not just in The Goonies but there are so many movies where someone says we have to time, we have to act fast, no time to explain, then spend the next 20 minutes talking.

Every time someone does this in a movie I think of The Simpsons episode nelson bursts in the class room and Yells "Everyone come quick no time to explain." Then he stops at a drinking fountain and takes like a 5 minute drink. Milhouse then says wouldn't it be easier to tell us what is going on?
    Nelson then stops drinking to say there was no time and he stands by that only to start drinking again.
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-25-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I cant say to be honest as I have never heard of this movie. But I will check it out. I would like to see what it is like. Is it a drama? Comedy?

It is just always been a pet peeve of mine. like in comedies it bugs me but Not as much because i know it is meant to be silly. but the dramas with the understanding guard who is trying to help the inmate and all that. You will not see a guard coming up to an inmate and trying to help him turn his life around, give advice, ask about family, or see how he can help the inmate in any way. Most of the time it is stay out of our way and dont give us a reason to talk to you. Saying good morning maybe about as friendly as it got. At best you would get cordial not friendly.

it was I have to say different for my work boss. I worked in the prison library. I had two bosses. Not guards, they were normal people who worked for the prison. both were polite to the inmates. Well as polite as they were allowed to be. It was still professional but it was friendly professional. Like you could joke with the two of them, with in reason. like how bad the food was. Or just talk to them they way you would talk to a boss at a normal job. but we always remembered we had to be respectful. They were friendly and polite but not friends. And to be honest in that place that was a welcome change.
    It was a mini series about the two killers who escaped from the upstate NY prison. It was quite good.

It was a mini series about the two killers who escaped from the upstate NY prison. It was quite good.
    I will check that out. I remember hearing about it on the news and such. if I remember right the woman who helped them fell in love with one or something and helped hi,. IIRC she had some problems at home and light weight mental problems. This does happen. It happened in my prison with a kitchen food service supervisor. Prison is full of some pretty bad people who look for people like this in the workers. People they can take advantage of and use. In my prison they were pretty good about spotting when this is going on because there were a lot of issues with this in there before I was locked up and they did massive reforms. But I know of three cases where the workers and on guard who were taken in by the inmates. it ranged from sex to smuggling in drugs, and cell phones and in one case a weapon to an attempted escape. So it is possible. Its just not as common as the movies make it out to be. And there are pretty harsh punishments for inmates trying to do this. Like they get moved to another prison and their security level is raised because they have shown they are a threat to the system or a new charge for the inmate and the person helping them.

I know in my state they went a step further and passed a law that if a worker has contact on a social level with an inmate with in five years after release they lose their jobs.