Default Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1 Preview

Exactly what the Legion needs: another timeline.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Well...I was actually kinda looking forward to this one, believe it or not, but...I dunno. Maybe its because I'm just not attached to these people but I found the whole thing to be kinda....boring. The art didn't really help matters either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Well...I was actually kinda looking forward to this one, believe it or not, but...I dunno. Maybe its because I'm just not attached to these people but I found the whole thing to be kinda....boring. The art didn't really help matters either.
    Legion as a whole is boring it's why the brand always inevitably fails *shrugs*

Oh, for God's sake.

Fans of the Legions of Subs, keep away from this. Really.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

My copy is in the mail, but does this issue actually have anything to do with the recently concluded volume?

#12 said "To Be Continued in Future State", but I have a feeling that was just to push whatever sales they could squeak out of this...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Is it safe to assume the topic of the issue is this video if you replaced "wabbit" with "subs?"

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    My copy is in the mail, but does this issue actually have anything to do with the recently concluded volume?

#12 said "To Be Continued in Future State", but I have a feeling that was just to push whatever sales they could squeak out of this...
    Yes it does continue from #12 with a time jump though. They do reference the previous volume quite a bit actually. I really enjoyed it myself but I get that it's not for everyone. Lot of cool moments and lots of questions left hanging for #2. In a recent interview Bendis said he always planned a time jump after #12 then his editor told him about Future State so he thought perfect. He also says he's NOT done with the Legion after FS and he already has his artist lined up but he's afraid someone will steal then away so he won't tell who yet. I haven't enjoyed every single detail of his Legion work but I'm more engaged with the concept than I have been in decades.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 01-29-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Yes it does continue from #12 with a time jump though. They do reference the previous volume quite a bit actually. I really enjoyed it myself but I get that it's not for everyone. Lot of cool moments and lots of questions left hanging for #2. In a recent interview Bendis said he always planned a time jump after #12 then his editor told him about Future State so he thought perfect. He also says he's NOT done with the Legion after FS and he already has his artist lined up but he's afraid someone will steal then away so he won't tell who yet. I haven't enjoyed every single detail of his Legion work but I'm more engaged with the concept than I have been in decades.
    Ok cool, I was starting to regret ordering it based on other online reviews, so thanks for the reply! I'm a little less apprehensive now .
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

Will Jon still be a part of the legion or is that over because of FS?

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Will Jon still be a part of the legion or is that over because of FS?
    I don't recall him talking about Jon but I may have just missed that. He mainly talked about FS Legion #1 then about how he always planned to do time jumps with the book. The impression that gave me is that when the book comes back it will be after another time jump past the FS issues.

Bendis can leave Jon alone as far as I'm concerned. He's getting a spotlight in the Super-books proper; let the Legionnaires get that panel time.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Bendis can leave Jon alone as far as I'm concerned. He's getting a spotlight in the Super-books proper; let the Legionnaires get that panel time.
    I like Jon on the team but I'm fine if isn't full-time on the team. At this point I'd rather have Supergirl join up. She has expressed interest in Action Comics recently.

I like Jon on the team but I'm fine if isn't full-time on the team. At this point I'd rather have Supergirl join up. She has expressed interest in Action Comics recently.
    I'd definitely be onboard for that, especially since there isn't a Supergirl solo title on the horizon...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Supergirl is who they should have gotten from the start. Either way, I think Jon's time with the Legion is pretty much kaput. Normally I'd celebrate that, but from everything I've heard about the character going forward, I think I actually would have preferred he stayed in the future.

As for this Future State book, I don't know. Legion sounds like it'd be my kind of thing just based on the concept alone. So I've tried giving it a shot twice. First time I wasn't into it and I just couldn't get past my hatred for what's been done to Jon. So I figured, okay. Jon's not in Future State Legion. Maybe I'll like it now....But I don't. Maybe I need to just try a different run. I don't wanna say the problem is Bendis, because....well that's a dead horse if I've ever seen one lol. But the problem might be Bendis.