Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It could happen, but it won't happen. It won't happen for the same reason Apple would never let iOS to be installed on a Samsung phone. Nintendo is extremely set in their ways in that they're very strict about controlling their software and their hardware. They like to keep everything under the same umbrella. While this does have some advantages, those advantages can become detriments when the competition starts to surpass them. The Wii-U is being beat by the competition, plain and simple. The Wii had so much going for it because it innovated while the PS3 and X-box 360 tried to rely solely on updated graphics and computing power. They learned their lesson. Now it's the Wii-U that needs to innovate and I don't see that happening under Nintendo's current leadership. It's only when they start losing a lot of money that they'll change.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    It could happen, but it won't happen. It won't happen for the same reason Apple would never let iOS to be installed on a Samsung phone. Nintendo is extremely set in their ways in that they're very strict about controlling their software and their hardware. They like to keep everything under the same umbrella. While this does have some advantages, those advantages can become detriments when the competition starts to surpass them. The Wii-U is being beat by the competition, plain and simple. The Wii had so much going for it because it innovated while the PS3 and X-box 360 tried to rely solely on updated graphics and computing power. They learned their lesson. Now it's the Wii-U that needs to innovate and I don't see that happening under Nintendo's current leadership. It's only when they start losing a lot of money that they'll change.
    That's not it. The WiiU is easily the most innovative 8th gen home console with it's controller. The PS4 is the least innovative home console on the market, going for little more than the updated graphics and computing power you speak of. The thing is the WiiU is poorly marketed and confusing to consumers while the PS4 is a safe, known quantity.

And Wiiu is on pace to finish second, ahead of the X-Box.

The WiiU is a jumbo sized DS, the PS4/Xbox1 are basically PCs. This console generation is weird.

Astonishing Member

The only people at all convinced that Nintendo will go 3rd party are mobile users desperately hoping that someone actually capable of making decent games will enter the app market.

No. I couldn't. Nintendo is stubborn with its business model. They don't like to change and they aren't going to let anything make them change until they start losing enormous amounts of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon because they still have a strong cast of characters and properties that make them money. Plus, they've shown they can innovate in ways their competitors can't. It helped them succeed with the Wii and the DS. The Wii-U might not be as successful, but one misfire is not enough to make Nintendo change the model that has worked so well for them for so many years.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    No. I couldn't. Nintendo is stubborn with its business model. They don't like to change and they aren't going to let anything make them change until they start losing enormous amounts of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon because they still have a strong cast of characters and properties that make them money. Plus, they've shown they can innovate in ways their competitors can't. It helped them succeed with the Wii and the DS. The Wii-U might not be as successful, but one misfire is not enough to make Nintendo change the model that has worked so well for them for so many years.
    Nintendo has been misfiring on the home console front since the N64. Even the Wii, which itself sold well, couldn't really move third-party titles.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Nintendo has been misfiring on the home console front since the N64. Even the Wii, which itself sold well, couldn't really move third-party titles.
    It depends on how one defines success though. They could have done better, for sure, but they still created some of the most memorable games on those systems.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    It depends on how one defines success though. They could have done better, for sure, but they still created some of the most memorable games on those systems.
    I think we're defining success in a business sense. They better be creating some of the most memorable games on those systems, because the third parties seemingly gave up on all those systems. Now they have to put out the best stuff for their home consoles, since the third parties just aren't really putting things on them because Nintendo isn't selling the stuff well.

I'm guessing next-gen Ninendo's console is going to be some kind of mobile/home thing.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I think we're defining success in a business sense. They better be creating some of the most memorable games on those systems, because the third parties seemingly gave up on all those systems. Now they have to put out the best stuff for their home consoles, since the third parties just aren't really putting things on them because Nintendo isn't selling the stuff well.

I'm guessing next-gen Ninendo's console is going to be some kind of mobile/home thing.
    But even in the business sense, the N64 and GC weren't complete failures. Sure, they lost 3rd party support, but Nintendo still make buckets of money off them.

I'm pretty sure we're quickly heading towards streaming games entirely, meaning all you need is the TV with a connection and a controller. But I do agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just make one TV/Handheld console and stuck with one platform.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    But even in the business sense, the N64 and GC weren't complete failures. Sure, they lost 3rd party support, but Nintendo still make buckets of money off them.

I'm pretty sure we're quickly heading towards streaming games entirely, meaning all you need is the TV with a connection and a controller. But I do agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just make one TV/Handheld console and stuck with one platform.
    I'm not sure they made buckets. They never sold them at a loss, which is good, but those consoles didn't do will.

We aren't going to have wholly streaming systems anytime soon. Americas internet network can't support it, aways online stuff is still terrible, and lots of people aren't going to want to buy games they don't fully own.