Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Could Nintendo go third party?

I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?
    Its not gonna happen. The Wii U can still make them money ( they aren't losing money on it anymore) and they can take a loss every year for the next 50 years thanks to their reserves.

That's it. Nothing more to say on it.

Short term no, long term maybe. Ninty have huge cash reserves so they can do what they want and are very stubborn, the Wii U wont be a mega success but it will at the very least repay what was spent on it so if the next console flops too would they consider it.

What's more likely to happen is for them to change how they do things as one of their problems is they refuse to adapt to the modern games industry like paying for ports (which is a principle thing for them), start heavy merch/licensing of the IPs or focusing on the quality of life gizmo they were going on about a few months ago.
    Last edited by jump; 08-21-2014 at 01:14 AM.

BANNED

Don't they make most of their money with handhelds?

Considering how Sega turned out, I don't think Nintendo will be going third party.
    Seriously, would you rather they be making Gameboys or Pachinko machines?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Don't they make most of their money with handhelds?
    They are the market leaders in handheld consoles but the Wii was a massive success but the common argument has been the handheld market will be dead soon due to the use of tablets and phone apps, yet the 3DS has been a success as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    They are the market leaders in handheld consoles but the Wii was a massive success but the common argument has been the handheld market will be dead soon due to the use of tablets and phone apps, yet the 3DS has been a success as well.
    Because it has Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
    Because it has Pokemon.
    Pokemon is one of their major movers but the 3DS was successfull before Pokemon XY come out and the top 4 selling DS games weren't Pokemon games.

I'll echo what everyone else has said, Wii made them tons of money and the handhelds are still doing well. The 3DS provides a gaming experience you cant get with phones, and probly will for the foreseeable future. Who knows though.. maybe in the future theyll see it as good advertising to occasionally release some kindof game on a mobile device or pc somehow? But I could see them being far too proud to sell out.. would probably fold the company instead.

Could it happen? Anything could happen.

Will it happen? Nope. Not gonna happen. It will take a string of failures for over a decade for that to finally happen, and Nintendo is very good at making money.
    Life is but a dream

Wii U will start selling in mass abundance when Smash Bros. comes out. They're also gearing up for Winter season with lots of popular games: Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Yoshi: Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Bayonetta 2. And I think the open-world Zelda will sell units as well.

And we're kidding ourselves if we think little kids aren't going to eat those "Amiibos" up.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    Wii U will start selling in mass abundance when Smash Bros. comes out. They're also gearing up for Winter season with lots of popular games: Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Yoshi: Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Bayonetta 2. And I think the open-world Zelda will sell units as well.

And we're kidding ourselves if we think little kids aren't going to eat those "Amiibos" up.
    http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-v...zg_hrsr_vg_1_1

Notice whats taking up a large part of the top 20 best sellers in games on amazon.com....the amiibo will make bank for Nintendo
    Last edited by Gryphon; 08-30-2014 at 09:18 PM.

I'm honestly not interested in the gaming aspect of them, but I'll totally buy them as pure figurines when I have extra cash.
    Life is but a dream

Fantastic Member

c'mon, nintendo is not only wii u ....

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Honestly, it's slightly more likely that all console makers become either 3rd party or streaming services since every generation seems to bring us closer to the PC/Laptop/Console/Portable/Cell Phone/Television/Eyeglasses/Refrigerator/etc... Singularity, especially as high speed Internet becomes more ubiquitous.