Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Again, I'm not asking about the concept of the Court, I'm talking about the story itself. It was 12 issues and the last 6 were in my opinion nothing notable. But people still talk about it as the best era of Scott Snyder on Batman

Incredible Member

I personally find the story massively overrated - I've mentioned it in other threads but the biggest issue I have is that if there is this ancient secret society thats run Gotham for centuries why have they put up with Batman, his family & all the super criminals - why didn't they kill them when they first showed up! (example - how many people & property has the Joker destroyed? why haven't they sent a Talon to end him?)

I just read this story arc. I am conflicted about it.

On one hand I enjoyed the Bruce/Batman being wrong about the Court even being real, I enjoyed him being shown as less then a god but more of a man. I also dug the issues in the maze. I do love the idea of secret societies controlling everything behind the scenes.

But there are things that bothered me. The Thomas Wayne Jr reveal wasnt a huge thing to me. I mean it would have meant more if they had done anything with him.

Another thing as mentioned above is if they really are controlling Gotham what is their end goal, like what do they want? it never really goes into that. why would they let Batman and these super criminals go around unchecked if they cared about Gotham at all. They talk about people being killed because they interfered with the vison of the Court but they never explain what the vision is. Is it to make Gotham better? Because they have dropped the ball big time. is it to keep a high crime rate? because if it was they would have gone after Batman a long time ago. Is it just to stay rich and comfortable? That is a very lazy goal and it never explains how killing the Waynes or any of the city officials help them keep their goal.

So in the end it is a mostly fun story. Secret Society, powerful bad guys, messing with the heroes head. but in the end if you look deeper it does not hold up.

I have been putting too much thought into my comics as of late and it is making me mad lol.

But to the OP question. if you have read it twice and still dont enjoy nothing anyone says on here will make you enjoy it any more then you do now.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

The Court of Owls is so last decade, The Magistrate is now being pushed.

Again, I wasn't talking about the organization, I was talking about the 12 issue double story-arc. It's right there in the title