Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Future State so far

With the First month over this Wednesday.What do you think about comics?
    Also I know there not doing 5G but is this not like that

I for one wait for the trades.

I believe March the first volumes (only?) are coming out.

Though I'd be curious what people think..

Though when it comes to reviews I spend my time on GoodReads as I think the materials get a way more fair evaluation then here.

I get my comics delivered monthly from pre-order, so I’ve only read the first week. My thoughts on that are;

Swamp Thing 9/10
    - clearly a lot of time spent by Ram V and Perkins putting this world together and the comic in general and it’s evident.
    I’m really looking forward to the series in March. One of the few I am interested in.

Wonder Woman 8.5/10
    - again you can really see the passion and effort in this one. Joëlle Jones is incredible. Tara Flor is brought to life, in just 20 pages we get to see her personality, through Jones’s writing and the body language of the character in the wonderful. The design of the character is absolutely superb, as are the designs in general. I’d love to see more, only only if Jones is involved.

The Flash 8/10
    - Really great fun and classic vibe with loads going on, as the writer and artist juggle a bunch of speedsters and manage to give them a bit of personality as well as telling and engaging story. Pity this is not the creative team going forward.

The Next Batman 7/10
    - nice art but 3 mediocre strips, with the main strip being slightly better than the other 2. Ridley needs to get a few dozen issues under his belt to work out how to build characters, pacing, dialogue and a compelling narrative.

Superman of Metropolis 6/10
    - Again this was pretty lacking in the writing department. Sean Lewis second strip was slightly more interesting than the first. Brain Cells was a horrible design. I’ve preordered the rest of it otherwise I wouldn’t bother reading on.

Harley Quinn 3/10
    - Just awful. Barely any plot. A threadbare idea stretched across a whole issue. Tone deaf dialogue and boring as hell to read. The art is murky and the perspectives and angles are way off. Which doesn’t help pull the reader in. Enough to get comics stopped.

All in all the first week was pretty decent, if that hit rate continues I’d say Future State was a success.

I just found my favorite, I haven't worked out a list yet. I know Flash is at the bottom for me, with Titans and Superman being just above them. Flash just wasn't particularly interesting, it feels like the writer completely missed the point of Future State and just wrote a random flash story that's weirdly grim. everything else has been pretty good to just ok.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I've been enjoying Future State so far. There are some hit or miss Issues, but most of them don't seem to have been on my pull list.

My ranking of the individual stories:
    1. Catwoman
    2. Swamp Thing
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Aquaman
    5. Justice League Dark
    6. Nightwing
    7. Nubia
    8. Justice League
    9. Superman (Worlds of War)
    10. Diana (IWW)
    11. Teen Titans
    12. Mr. Miracle
    13. Midnighter
    14. Black Racer[/LIST]

Apparently, Ram V can just take my money at this point.
    I knew I would enjoy Jones' Wonder Woman, but I didn't expect to enjoy it so much. Aquaman really surprised me today, it might even creep a bit higher on this list because I can't wait to get my hands on the second Issue.
    Nightwing probably wouldn't be that high if it weren't for the last +2 years of unspeakable horror.

The only two titles that I didn't like that much are Teen Titans and Superman: Worlds of War.
    Teen Titans wants too much in too few pages, which makes it confusing at times. But it still manages to be intriguing even though I have zero interest in Red X. The art helps its case a lot. It's good.
    Worlds of War wasn't what I hoped for. I thought the Superman story was incredibly strong, and I was looking forward to the interconnectedness of the stories, but at the end of my read, I just didn't feel as if it was worth the money. It's the only one I won't be picking up for its second month.
    Last edited by Avi; 01-26-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

the next batman, wonder woman(both Yara and Diana's titles) and future state superman worlds at war were amazing. I alwso enjoyed justice league. Catwoman and Nightwing were tolerable also. That's about where it ends for me in terms of being genuinely entertained by these books.

It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be, I'm not feeling Jon's Superman though. WW's titles and The Next Bat are the best imo followed closely by Worlds at War.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

my ranking so far:

1. Aquaman
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. The Next Batman
    4. Last Lanterns/Outsiders
    5. Black Adam
    6. Jessica Cruz/Guy Gardner
    7. Justice League
    8. Nubia
    9. Immortal Wonder Woman
    11. Shazam
    12. Mister Miracle
    13. Teen Titans
    14. Superman
    15. The Flash

honorable mentions: I haven't read Superman War World yet, and I'm probably skipping Harley, Nightwing, and Catwoman
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Exclamation

So: I've read all the Future State Month 1 books.

I'll do a rating list and I'll include the backups stories (I feel I may have been a little harsh on some of them but I'll revise it at the end of month 2)

1. ⁠Dark Detective (I've been loving the direction for Bruce)
    2. ⁠Superman: Worlds of War
    3. ⁠Swamp Thing
    4. ⁠Superman vs Imperious Lex
    5. ⁠The Next Batman
    6. ⁠Nightwing
    7. ⁠Catwoman
    8. ⁠Robin Eternal
    9. ⁠Justice League Dark
    10. ⁠Red Hood
    11. ⁠Grifters
    12. ⁠Midnighter
    13. ⁠Justice League
    14. ⁠Immortal Wonder Woman
    15. ⁠Superman/Wonder Woman
    16. ⁠Guy Gardner
    17. ⁠Harley Quinn
    18. ⁠Arkham Knights
    19. ⁠Outsiders
    20. ⁠Wonder Woman
    21. ⁠Aquaman
    22. ⁠Last Lanterns
    23. ⁠Teen Titans
    24. ⁠Batgirls
    25. ⁠Shazam! (Loved the Question)
    26. ⁠Suicide Squad
    27. ⁠Black Adam
    28. ⁠Kara Zor El: Superwoman
    29. ⁠Jessica Cruz
    30. ⁠Gotham City Sirens
    31. ⁠Guardian of Metropolis
    32. ⁠Nubia
    33. ⁠Batman/Superman
    34. ⁠Black Racer 35 Mr Miracle
    35. ⁠Superman of Metropolis
    36. ⁠Legion of Superheroes
    37. ⁠The Flash (Hated it.)
    Last edited by Denirac; 01-26-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Mighty Member

Only thing I read was Swamp Thing and it was great
    First Ram V thing I've read and I'm impressed so far.

Yara Flor has all the makings of a major hit character, unless DC brutally drops the ball. From what little I've read of Future State overall, it kind of feels like the creative teams are stretching their muscles after a long period of being cooped up. Maybe this is due to the editorial changes and departure of Dan Didio?

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Yara Flor has all the makings of a major hit character, unless DC brutally drops the ball. From what little I've read of Future State overall, it kind of feels like the creative teams are stretching their muscles after a long period of being cooped up. Maybe this is due to the editorial changes and departure of Dan Didio?
    Future State is the remnants of 5G, a DiDio headed long-term event.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I what we are seeing is a case of writers being FREE to write. No book is being held hostage by something else like an event or whatever thing is going on n Batverse.

Extraordinary Member

I've heard terrible things about that Black Adam back up

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I've heard terrible things about that Black Adam back up
    really? I actually liked it

currently following: