View Poll Results: Who should be in the X-Men?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Armor

18 5.88%
  • Banshee

42 13.73%
  • Boom-Boom

15 4.90%
  • Cannonball

13 4.25%
  • Forge

9 2.94%
  • Marrow

28 9.15%
  • Polaris

54 17.65%
  • Strong Guy

7 2.29%
  • Sunspot

42 13.73%
  • Tempo

78 25.49%
Page 29 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    There is also the psychological aspect that some people like to vote for winners in order to feel like they didn't waste their vote or so they can afterwards claim they did the right thing by voting for the person who won.

So a lot more might now vote for her, not because they want her to be an X-men, but simply because they didn't want to waste their votes on "losers" anymore.

Which actualy makes revealing the early results a form of vote manipulation. There is a reason early results in elections are normaly only announced after no votes can be cast anymore.

So Marvel essentialy damaged the legitimicay of their X-men election. Not to say Polaris wouldn't have won either way, but Marvel might have essentialy made sure she would be the clear winner.
    I feel the opposite. I think by releasing the projection people will just rally around the other characters.

Out of this list I do feel she is the most popular character anyway. She's the most requested mutant character in MFF after Havok from their poll last year. She should win based on popularity.

I am annoyed by people bragging that they have voted multiple times, even people who are voting Polaris. It's just a douchebag thing to do. I think what might have been better is to require a marvel account in addition to a unique IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Getting back on topic -- so it's obvious that Lorna is going to win. Maybe now a good time to discuss what kind of stories everyone would like to see?
    I would like to find out more about her mother. It was hinted she was a mutant by Magneto. We never really saw again. She could be resurrected under the protocols depending on when we had the first Cerebro (have they confirmed this?) Likewise would Zaladane count. Did she have an X-Gene? We could see her again. I want more on her background from the midwest. More on her time in Genosha because it would be relevant to her thoughts on Krakoa and the risks by having an island like this. I think it gives her a reason to be more cautious than others on the island because she's already seen it fail.

I would also like some more interaction with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Maybe Doc Samson. There was also some hints she may have some mystical aptitude too, maybe from Magneto's family background. Zaladane was a witch. Dr Strange said Polaris have high mystical potential and Scarlet Witch's ancestor Red Lucy was said to a forebearer to "power beings". I think it could work better if "Natalya Maximoff" was an ancestor of Magneto.
    rwxnwv8n.jpg

I wouldn't mind a new costume that's a little more covered up. I think maybe something like Thena from the eternals.
    5692303-img_8986.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    There are other ways the election's legitimacy isn't really up to par, both from revealing early results and even before the poll got started, but they're mostly things I think it's better for me not to highlight yet. Most likely will after the poll's over, maybe earlier if I feel it's warranted.

But I will say, since I've seen people on Twitter complain about fans voting who don't/won't read comics (they like to assume), I don't think that one counts as a real problem.
    I think it's impossible to really know from which corner of the Marvel fandom (or casual interest groups) the votes are comming from anyway, hence why i feel pointing fingers at someone is redundant. Especialy on social media which doesn't really reflect comic sales or popularity of characters/stories.
    But there is a point to be made that considering the end result affects primarily those who read the comics, it's like an election for the US congress but the entire world is allowed to vote on it.

Though considering it's a "for fun" election anyway, on reflection i shouldn't have talked about "legitimacy" anyway as that was likely never anyone's concern at Marvel nor were they under any real pressure to make it so.

On the other hand it somewhat highlights just how many things have to be considered, planned for and restricted when it comes to any kind of serious elections.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I feel the opposite. I think by releasing the projection people will just rally around the other characters.
    It's possible that it might push votes to the others, but i doubt it, the landslide scenario is often the more common from my memory. Especialy when there are 9 alternatives. Since those who oppose the winner would require to coordinate rallying around someone else and even Sunspot was 6% behind her. So it would require others to go away from the characters they favored so far and switch collectively to him.

If there would be a second election to vote between Polaris, Sunspot and Banshee for the majority, i could see it happening, but again in the current one i doubt it (not the first time i could be wrong though).

Out of this list I do feel she is the most popular character anyway. She's the most requested mutant character in MFF after Havok from their poll last year. She should win based on popularity.
    Despite remarking on issues with the election, i don't doubt that she really is that popular.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-30-2021 at 06:07 AM.

I am annoyed by people bragging that they have voted multiple times, even people who are voting Polaris. It's just a douchebag thing to do. I think what might have been better is to require a marvel account in addition to a unique IP address.
    Well, I wasn't going to say it before, but now that it's been brought up, yep. This is one of the flaws with the poll. It's why I noted before voting started that the poll should have tools like IP detection.

But yeah. Regardless of how the poll turns out, I think looking at Lorna only for herself and disregarding things like "hey she's on X-Factor" would lead to her definitively winning the poll with no real challengers and joining the team again for the first time since the 00s (and last time before that being 60s/70s).

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I think it's impossible to really know from which corner of the Marvel fandom (or casual interest groups) the votes are comming from anyway, hence why i feel pointing fingers at someone is redundant. Especialy on social media which doesn't really reflect comic sales or popularity of characters/stories.
    But there is a point to be made that considering the end result affects primarily those who read the comics, it's like an election for the US congress but the entire world is allowed to vote on it.

Though considering it's a "for fun" election anyway, on reflection i shouldn't have talked about "legitimacy" anyway as that was likely never anyone's concern at Marvel nor were they under any real pressure to make it so.

On the other hand it somewhat highlights just how many things have to be considered, planned for and restricted when it comes to any kind of serious elections.
    Eh, my mental comparison with regard to U.S. elections is more like Trump and Republicans claiming certain votes were illegal in the 2020 election because those states went to Biden. The underlying implication is that you're only allowed to have a voice if you're actively reading comics, something you'd only do if the comics are currently doing things you want to read. Which is a bit like saying you're only allowed to vote for president if you've done a thorough review of the current administration's actions and like what they're doing.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

But I will say, since I've seen people on Twitter complain about fans voting who don't/won't read comics (they like to assume), I don't think that one counts as a real problem.
    There's no way to obviate disingenuous respondents in a public poll, but it's certainly a question worth asking here in this forum:

For everyone that voted, will the outcome influence whether or not you will read the new X-Men team book?

Astonishing Member

Eh, my mental comparison with regard to U.S. elections is more like Trump and Republicans claiming certain votes were illegal in the 2020 election because those states went to Biden. The underlying implication is that you're only allowed to have a voice if you're actively reading comics, something you'd only do if the comics are currently doing things you want to read. Which is a bit like saying you're only allowed to vote for president if you've done a thorough review of the current administration's actions and like what they're doing.
    Oh my bad, my mind was still going trough the list of possible issues with this "for fun" election if it was meant to be serious, that i considered it actualy a reflectable point that the election involves "outsiders" who vote on something that potentialy won't affect their hobby/entertainment.

But i do understand your comparison aswell and i agree that given how the election was set up the "outsiders" are as valid as the actual readers.

I voted for Tempo. Storm needs a break from representing for Black female mutants. And I'm only voting once. Multiple votes? Nah...not for me. It's a comic book. It ain't that deep.
    I also wanna learn more about Tempo and think Hickman would do some cool things with her.

I would like to find out more about her mother. It was hinted she was a mutant by Magneto. We never really saw again.

I would also like some more interaction with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
    Honestly, I'm waiting for the creators to concoct some crazy reveal like Magneto and Cassandra Nova Xavier being not only the true biological parents of Wanda and Pietro, but of Lorna and Zala as well. The woman that Polaris thinks was her real birth mother, Suzanna, was actually just a gestational surrogate used by Cassandra Nova. Or something like that. Suppressing the truth would be child's play for Cassandra Nova.

I wouldn't mind a new costume that's a little more covered up.
    I think it's a safe bet that she'll get a new look eventually. Polaris rarely keeps the same outfit for very long.

I wonder if the new team will get a unique X-uniform?

Ultimate Member

If Lorna does win I wonder how much she'll change if anything, like will she still be as close to Magneto as she is now and such or something like that, that some Lorna fans might not like how she's portrayed...and no salarta not because of Alex...or maybe they will...just no guarantee's...

Extraordinary Member

What’s the current tally?

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Despite nearly 53 years of existence, a status as the second woman to join the X-Men, and huge potential, Lorna isn't quite the kind of character Marvel Comics wants to respect
    Being part of the candidates for the new team is a rare opportunity for the character
    Lorna had two roles in the 60s a brief stint as a dark and sultry mutant queen and another brief stint as Jean's close friend and the team energy manipulator.

Jean today has a laundry list of developed and interesting relationships with other x-women as do the other X-women. Marvel hasn't yet updated Lorna's relationship with her contemporaries to something that would be more fitting to Lorna's post Genosha views and persona. There is tons of interesting areas of conflict and cooperation to be had from the kind of Lorna we saw in House of X #5 interacting with the core X-Men.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-30-2021 at 08:16 AM.

There's no way to obviate disingenuous respondents in a public poll, but it's certainly a question worth asking here in this forum:

For everyone that voted, will the outcome influence whether or not you will read the new X-Men team book?
    I can say it definitely will with me, because right now I'm not reading any of the comics. Last time I actually read multiple arcs of a run was X-Men Blue (first half of it). Last time I actually read a whole run from start to finish was Secret Wars: House of M and the Magneto solo both ending in 2015. Other than that, my current rate's been about 1-3 issues every two years (last year's Deadpool issue with Lorna in it, and a few issues of the Uncanny X-Men event).

I'm not going to say I'm guaranteed to read X-Men if Lorna wins the poll and joins. I need to know more first. But if she does win and I don't see any glaring problems, I'll at least read the first issue. Would end up buying, reading and promoting the entire run if no major problems pop up during it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Not even close Polaris winning doesn't change if I'm going to read X-men it's just more of an eye roll moment because she is already in X factor. I'm not the type of reader that wants to just see the more popular characters in every book they are reading.

The main reason I like the X-men over other super heroes comics is because it's not about a select group of team mates but about all these different types of people who have one thing in common as mutants. That gets lost when all you ever see is the same 15 mutants.

The main X-men books from the Jim Lee era has been the most popular character in the franchise. The two flagship books adjectiveless and uncanny have been the most popular characters in the franchise. They have been some anomalies but this has been the case a large majority of the time. I think wanting a character to show just because they are different or have been used much is horrible reasoning, There is a difference between wanting fresh blood from inside the franchise that has quality and just wanting a new character to appear.

A perfect example is Banshee vs Sunspot. Banshee is a traditional old school character who has popularity because of a duration of time in the franchise, Sunspot is a character who was popular from showing in small book and is on the cusp of being majorly popular. There is a legit discussion to be had about characters like Havok, Polaris, Dazzler, Banshee, Colossus, Angel, etc, vs Magik, Sunspot, Moonstar, Boom Boom, Synch, X-23, M.

Nothing against small characters the X-men has several books where they can grow that isn't "the" flagship book. Let Tempo show up in Sword I mean there is an acolyte reunion with Random, Frenzy, Vought in that book. It is a different case with characters like Sunspot or Moonstar who will arguably be more popular once they are on the biggest stage and use in impactful stories but a character like Dazzler or Banshee(with limited growth potential) gets a spot instead of them.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-30-2021 at 09:38 AM.

BANNED

Honestly tempo was my vote, i voted some times, but quite honestly she somewhat won already, this hastag trended worldwide, there was links to her official page, fanart, edits, fancams, discussions that the creators interacted with.

Now so many more people are aware of tempo, so are the writers!
    Some people have sugested this is pretty much a popularity contest, and these characthers will all show up anyways and be important moving forward in spite of who wins.

Whoops, guess I should answer my own question as well.

It depends mostly on the creative team, but I voted for Tempo and if she somehow miraculously gets added to the book, then I'll pick up at least the first 2 - 4 issues and give them a fair chance to earn my readership for the long haul. But if anyone else wins, then I won't buy the title. It's not that I like the other characters less, it's just that after many, many, many, many, many decades of reading comics, it really does take an infusion of new blood somewhere in the mix to get me excited enough to reach for my wallet.