View Poll Results: Who should be in the X-Men?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Armor

18 5.88%
  • Banshee

42 13.73%
  • Boom-Boom

15 4.90%
  • Cannonball

13 4.25%
  • Forge

9 2.94%
  • Marrow

28 9.15%
  • Polaris

54 17.65%
  • Strong Guy

7 2.29%
  • Sunspot

42 13.73%
  • Tempo

78 25.49%
Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I mean, she is the one who apparently suggested putting her on the poll. If she truly didn't want her to leave the book, I don't understand why she would be apart of this.
    She did? O.o Huh that is a strange choice then.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Happy to see Polaris winning. It’s almost as if, contrary to what X-Men Twitter would desperately want you to believe, no one cares about all those z-list losers.
    Can we really say "No One" when the characters at the bottom of the list are currently Strong Guy, who is a re-appearing cast member on satelite titles and Cannonball who is a frequent New Mutants, X-force and X-men member and a prominent one at that? Making them certainly not "z-list". With both still having over 5% of the votes in a selection of 10.

If the selection were Polaris, Jean Grey, Beast, Magneto, Icemen, Cable, Emma Frost, Gambit, Rogue and Storm, how would the percentage be split up? Would anyone who isn't getting 22% of the votes get dismissed as cared by "no one" too?

Likewise Polaris is not winning an absolute majority here. Almost 78% of the votes did not go to her but the remaining 9 characters. So while she is very obviously winning by a mile, it isn't that nobody cares about the rest.

Where would we draw the line for "z-list" in this selection anyway? At Forge with "only" 8.78%? Armor with 8.64%? Boom-Boom with 7.87% Or Tempo with 7.57% who is also the least prominent of the whole selection of characters?

I understand the point of the comment, but it's rather dismissive to 77.80% of the the people who did not vote for Polaris and apperently don't exist because of that.

Though it will be interesting to see if the following days push her closer to the 50% mark. After all the problem with showing the results of still ongoing elections is that undecided people might jump on the winners side.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Can we really say "No One" when the characters at the bottom of the list are currently Strong Guy, who is a re-appearing cast member on satelite titles and Cannonball who is a frequent New Mutants, X-force and X-men member and a prominent one at that? Making them certainly not "z-list". With both still having over 5% of the votes in a selection of 10.

If the selection were Polaris, Jean Grey, Beast, Magneto, Icemen, Cable, Emma Frost, Gambit, Rogue and Storm, how would the percentage be split up? Would anyone who isn't getting 22% of the votes get dismissed as cared by "no one" too?

Likewise Polaris is not winning an absolute majority here. Almost 78% of the votes did not go to her but the remaining 9 characters. So while she is very obviously winning by a mile, it isn't that nobody cares about the rest.

Where would we draw the line for "z-list" in this selection anyway? At Forge with "only" 8.78%? Armor with 8.64%? Boom-Boom with 7.87% Or Tempo with 7.57% who is also the least prominent of the whole selection of characters?

I understand the point of the comment, but it's rather dismissive to 77.80% of the the people who did not vote for Polaris and apperently don't exist because of that.

Though it will be interesting to see if the following days push her closer to the 50% mark. After all the problem with showing the results of still ongoing elections is that undecided people might jump on the winners side.
    I agree with the overall point here. These characters and fans of them all matter regardless of rankings. I'm reasonably sure that if this poll happened 10 years ago, before Gifted and before fandom started building for Lorna outside of the comics (separate but linked things), Lorna wouldn't be topping the poll, and that wouldn't have meant nobody cared about her.

I remember first learning of Lorna and talking to someone that said she should stay in space to "keep her away from characters that matter," and how that irritated me. So yeah, they all matter regardless of how many votes they get.

At the same time, though, I want to note that not all votes are necessarily out of a fandom for that character. I've seen a lot of people on Twitter encouraging others to vote for anyone except for Polaris for various reasons, including not wanting anything to keep her from being exclusively on X-Factor. So some votes may be less "I really like this character and want them to win" and more "there's a character I don't want to win, so I'm voting for this other character instead."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Happy to see Polaris winning. It’s almost as if, contrary to what X-Men Twitter would desperately want you to believe, no one cares about all those z-list losers.
    Yeah that isn't the message to be taken by this either, Sword and Hellions are doing just fine. Hardcore X-men fans do care about Z-listers. Casual fans on the other don't give a crap about seeing new characters they don't read a million Marvel & X-properties and not burnt out on some characters. A lot of times on forums and the internet we overestimate the size of our reach and I see things all the time here that does not reflect the reality of the large fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yeah that isn't the message to be taken by this either, Sword and Hellions are doing just fine. Hardcore X-men fans do care about Z-listers. Casual fans on the other don't give a crap about seeing new characters they don't read a million Marvel & X-properties and not burnt out on some characters. A lot of times on forums and the internet we overestimate the size of our reach and I see things all the time here that does not reflect the reality of the large fanbase.
    Forums and Twitter rarely reflect the public of comics. I remember Simone comenting about how CBR would rip off a book but it would sell well on comic shops

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    At the same time, though, I want to note that not all votes are necessarily out of a fandom for that character. I've seen a lot of people on Twitter encouraging others to vote for anyone except for Polaris for various reasons, including not wanting anything to keep her from being exclusively on X-Factor. So some votes may be less "I really like this character and want them to win" and more "there's a character I don't want to win, so I'm voting for this other character instead."
    Oh sadly that might be true too. Though that depends on how far these counter-arguments against the character reach. For all we know the vast majority of the voters might not care a bit about the arguments made for or against the characters on various sides and just blindly pick the character they remember, like or find interesting.

Which still speaks volume of Polaris having a larger interest group than many might have thought for years.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It's literally a popularity contest/marketing campaign. I don't see what the mystery and analysis are for. It's usually the same people on this forum that regurgitate the same stuff and Twitter is a troll lair that people confuse for a public square.

Mighty Member

I'm glad Polaris is on the top because I voted for her.

As for the question to who will replace her in X-Factor...

Maybe the runner-up or Glob (lol)
    Last edited by ericng; 01-28-2021 at 09:59 PM.

lololol very anticlimatic! So basically the most famous ones are winning.

I voted for Marrow though!

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Just voted for The Mistress of Magnetism.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post

As for the question to who will replace her in X-Factor...

Maybe the runner-up or Glob (lol)
    Nobody X-Factor has Northstar, Daken, Eyeboy, Prodigy, and Rachel Summers plus Aurora in the background .Even without Lorna Xfactor is pretty full. AND it still has The five and Northstar husband as role players.

The voters are doing us favor quite honestly it frees up a little breathing room in that book but that said X-Factor has been so full with characters it is not going to be suprise if Shatterstar, Wind dancer or Siryn could step into that book in the future.

Yup, as I predicted earlier the more popular characters are getting the most votes, contrary to the opinion of the majority of people here and a few other sites. I am actually impressed that Cannonball is so low on the list though. Maybe the results will be anticlimatic compared to what some had hoped, but I knew It would be next to impossible for characters like Tempo or Marrow to garner that many votes, as they might be the preference of the more hardcore fans here, but most of the casual fans will vote for the characters that they recognize.

Despite nearly 53 years of existence, a status as the second woman to join the X-Men, and huge potential, Lorna isn't quite the kind of character Marvel Comics wants to respect
    Being part of the candidates for the new team is a rare opportunity for the character

Her power set is dope. I'd love to see her on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Forums and Twitter rarely reflect the public of comics. I remember Simone comenting about how CBR would rip off a book but it would sell well on comic shops
    Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    It's literally a popularity contest/marketing campaign. I don't see what the mystery and analysis are for. It's usually the same people on this forum that regurgitate the same stuff and Twitter is a troll lair that people confuse for a public square.
    Sometimes I think the books are more enjoyable if you don't participate on forums. Some stuff I've enjoyed has been stated to be total trash online but I've thought there's been more to it or it's just been light escapism.