View Poll Results: Who should be in the X-Men?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Armor

18 5.88%
  • Banshee

42 13.73%
  • Boom-Boom

15 4.90%
  • Cannonball

13 4.25%
  • Forge

9 2.94%
  • Marrow

28 9.15%
  • Polaris

54 17.65%
  • Strong Guy

7 2.29%
  • Sunspot

42 13.73%
  • Tempo

78 25.49%
Page 30 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Whoops, guess I should answer my own question as well.

It depends mostly on the creative team, but I voted for Tempo and if she somehow miraculously gets added to the book, then I'll pick up at least the first 2 - 4 issues and give them a fair chance to earn my readership for the long haul. But if anyone else wins, then I won't buy the title. It's not that I like the other characters less, it's just that after many, many, many, many, many decades of reading comics, it really does take an infusion of new blood somewhere in the mix to get me excited enough to reach for my wallet.
    So out of curiosity are you currently picking up Sword or Hellions?

Whoops, guess I should answer my own question as well.

It depends mostly on the creative team, but I voted for Tempo and if she somehow miraculously gets added to the book, then I'll pick up at least the first 2 - 4 issues and give them a fair chance to earn my readership for the long haul. But if anyone else wins, then I won't buy the title. It's not that I like the other characters less, it's just that after many, many, many, many, many decades of reading comics, it really does take an infusion of new blood somewhere in the mix to get me excited enough to reach for my wallet.
    How do you know there's isn't a Tempo style curve ball not already on the book? We only have two members of the team confirmed.

I still don't like the voting mutiple times thing but I think this whole affair has given her some decent spotlight and we should probably see her somewhere in the future. I do think she could tough to write due to her powers though as a cast member of a book as opposed to be antagonist but I think someone will pick her up after this. If only to try and get some X-Men vote collateral sales.

Honestly, I'm waiting for the creators to concoct some crazy reveal like Magneto and Cassandra Nova Xavier being not only the true biological parents of Wanda and Pietro, but of Lorna and Zala as well. The woman that Polaris thinks was her real birth mother, Suzanna, was actually just a gestational surrogate used by Cassandra Nova. Or something like that. Suppressing the truth would be child's play for Cassandra Nova.

I think it's a safe bet that she'll get a new look eventually. Polaris rarely keeps the same outfit for very long.

I wonder if the new team will get a unique X-uniform?
    I missed this post earlier. I know it's just an "absurd idea" kind of thing, but if Cassandra Nova being Lorna's mother actually happened, it would put a real dark (and potentially really compelling in a Greek tragedy sense) spin on things for Lorna considering Cassandra Nova's responsible for the Genoshan genocide.

As for outfit, I think it should be essentially her iconic costume but more modernized. I mostly like Kris Anka's redesign since it gives her more of a warrior vibe and hints at her powers with a gray/silver metal secondary color that doesn't overshadow her green. I'm not 100% sure how I'd feel about Lorna having an entirely new non-iconic costume on X-Men though. Right now I'm leaning toward it being okay because she would be on the flagship book as a main team member, overriding the concern I always have of needing her iconic costume for visibility and awareness reasons when she's on just about any other book.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So out of curiosity are you currently picking up Sword or Hellions?
    I'm not currently subscribing to any comics. The last series that I read was Dr. Doom's series, which wrapped up in December.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    How do you know there's isn't a Tempo style curve ball not already on the book? We only have two members of the team confirmed.

I still don't like the voting mutiple times thing but I think this whole affair has given her some decent spotlight and we should probably see her somewhere in the future. I do think she could tough to write due to her powers though as a cast member of a book as opposed to be antagonist but I think someone will pick her up after this. If only to try and get some X-Men vote collateral sales.
    I'm patiently awaiting the results and to see how the line-up shakes out. I welcome any surprises in Tempo's favor, but if she doesn't make it in, it's no big deal. Synch is another character that I really like and one who has a great deal of untapped potential still, so there's always the possibility that I'll pick up whatever book he's in, assuming he's a regular cast member and not simply window dressing.

I'm patiently awaiting the results and to see how the line-up shakes out. I welcome any surprises in Tempo's favor, but if she doesn't make it in, it's no big deal. Synch is another character that I really like and one who has a great deal of untapped potential still, so there's always the possibility that I'll pick up whatever book he's in, assuming he's a regular cast member and not simply window dressing.
    I never got the Synch appeal. I always felt his superpower was co-dependence. It always seemed a bit racist to me that the three most prominent black male characters powersets were dependent on being around more useful characters, Synch to sync a weaker version of someone else's powers, Bishop to get charged up and Prodigy to absorb someone else's skills.

Ultimate Member

I never got the Synch appeal. I always felt his superpower was co-dependence. It always seemed a bit racist to me that the three most prominent black male characters powersets were dependent on being around more useful characters, Synch to sync a weaker version of someone else's powers, Bishop to get charged up and Prodigy to absorb someone else's skills.
    That just piles onto the notion that for black folk (or women...) to have super-powers, it has to be something handed down to them by a white dude. Luke Cage? White dude gave him his powers. War Machine? White dude made his armor. Black Goliath? They aren't called 'Foster Particles...'

That's why characters like Black Panther or Blue Marvel or Storm or Gentle are so refreshing. They didn't get their powers handed down to them by white folk.

I think Tempo, Sunspot, and Marrow are the most inspired choices.

The Morlocks need more rep outside of being a lackey for Krakoa's trading system of all things. However, if she landed in Hellions I would not be mad.
    Tempo is a blank slate with nifty powers and a distinct look - great for a new start for the team.
    Sunspot is such a no-brainer that I'm surprised he wasn't already a member of Hickman's team. He COULD potentially be better suited for X-Corps.

Boom Boom and Forge are better as secondary characters IMO.

Cannonball, Banshee, and Polaris are fine but feel like 'safe' choices. Berto/Sam would be fun, but I feel like Polaris has been on an X-Men team pretty regularly for a while.

Armor finally feels fresh with her new look and role in SWORD. Making her an X-Man again seems premature.

Strong Guy is the only one I don't like of the ten choices.

Believe me, I agree with you. I even sent a letter a long time ago to Marvel about the alarming number of African American characters that were derivative analogues of white characters, or non-contributory characters (i.e., characters who brought nothing to the table in terms of creating their own powers) who were symbolic affronts to self-definition, self-reliance and self-determination.

Synch's appeal, though, was that he represented the "hip hop" generation. A form of artistry that sampled music in its original form, added their own culture and flavor to it, ultimately resulting in an innovative product that changed the industry and the world. Initially, Synch was to be like Hope Summers or Michael Pointer (he pre-dates both) in that he was supposed to retain the powers that he sampled within his aura. And it didn't have to be mutants only. Synch's aura could have adopted any number of powers without him knowing it. But to no one's surprise the writers reversed course on that. That would have made him too powerful, or at the very least threatened the dynamic of any story that featured him. The next thing you know he's getting blown up in the most mundane fashion by a simple explosive device.

I support Synch because he represents the potential not realized and the promise not kept. It's not always about powers. In Ev's case, that could have changed. Easily.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 01-31-2021 at 10:28 AM.

That's one of the reasons I like Susnpot so much, beyond the fact that I'm afro-brazilian.
    Sunspot have a really cool power not reliant on anyone, a cool look, is super confident and lack the angst that most black characters are saddled with on comics.

When I joke he have so much potential that Marvel want us to forget he is supposed to be black, is not just a joke.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 01-31-2021 at 10:32 AM.

What you call co-dependence, I call stealing. And that's a bad look for writers to put on men of colour.

While I agree with you entirely, I want to clarify that Synch usually used others' powers far better than they themselves did. He's a very good thief. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    That's one of the reasons I like Susnpot so much, beyond the fact that I'm afro-brazilian.
    Sunspot have a really cool power not reliant on anyone, a cool look, is super confident and lack the angst that most black characters are saddled with on comics.
    When I joke he have so much potential that Marvel want us to forget he is supposed to be black, is not just a joke.
    Sad but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Update

Banshee and Boom Boom make gains, Polaris and Strong Guy lose momentum.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Update

I’m confused. Did they not mentioned the vote numbers and the full poll comparisons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Strong Guy fell even further? Outch. I guess it doesn't help that his election image is from a scene in which he impales Wolfbane's son. This also seems to imply the rest remained relatively static. So ol' Sarah is still out of danger of getting thrown into a job far out of her league.

For Banshee the question is now how close he is to where Polaris was?

ugh. #justice4tempo