View Poll Results: Who should be in the X-Men?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Armor

18 5.88%
  • Banshee

42 13.73%
  • Boom-Boom

15 4.90%
  • Cannonball

13 4.25%
  • Forge

9 2.94%
  • Marrow

28 9.15%
  • Polaris

54 17.65%
  • Strong Guy

7 2.29%
  • Sunspot

42 13.73%
  • Tempo

78 25.49%
Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Now that the poll is over, I can say this.

The flaw in this poll that proved to me it doesn't have IP detection is that you could open the site on a different web browser on the same computer and it would let you vote. Or at least, I presume it would. I never actually tried to cast a vote on the other browsers after voting on one. I voted on Google Chrome, which showed the "you can only vote once" message any time I tried opening with Chrome. But when I opened the page on Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox, it allowed me to see the options and all as if I hadn't voted.

I suspect - but never tested - that Marvel's poll was using browser cookies. If that's the case, it might have been possible to clear the cookies and put in vote after vote on the same browser, too. I can think of other things people could've done if browser clearing wouldn't have worked, but they get more inventive and less likely.
    Last edited by salarta; 02-02-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I switch from Opera to Brave on my phone when the poll was active. The poll was IP protected you couldn't vote again. How does someone do a test without actually doing a test lol

Also from Question Pro(the company of the survey)
    When respondents take surveys, we collect and store the IP Address of the respondents along with the responses. By default, for all anonymous surveys, this is the only piece of identifying data that is collected and stored along with the survey response. Geo-coding enables you to find out the physical location such has city, region (state), etc. for these IP addresses.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-03-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I switch from Opera to Brave on my phone when the poll was active. The poll was IP protected you couldn't vote again. How does someone do a test without actually doing a test lol

Also from Question Pro
    In your switching from Opera to Brave, were you able to see the various options? Or did you just see the message that basically says you already voted and couldn't vote again?

I ask because in my case, every time I went to the page on Chrome (where I voted), I got the message saying I already voted and couldn't vote again. Every time I went to Edge and Firefox, I saw all the options as if I had not voted yet - because I had not voted on those browsers, only Chrome.

The test in this case was "Do I see the already voted message, or do I see the actual poll as if I have not already voted?" Trying to submit a second vote when a different browser shows me the poll would have been a second, additional test.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    In your switching from Opera to Brave, were you able to see the various options? Or did you just see the message that basically says you already voted and couldn't vote again?

I ask because in my case, every time I went to the page on Chrome (where I voted), I got the message saying I already voted and couldn't vote again. Every time I went to Edge and Firefox, I saw all the options as if I had not voted yet - because I had not voted on those browsers, only Chrome.

The test in this case was "Do I see the already voted message, or do I see the actual poll as if I have not already voted?" Trying to submit a second vote when a different browser shows me the poll would have been a second, additional test.
    Yes(you could see the options) and you couldn't vote again. In bigger scheme it didn't matter because you could vote multiple times but it had general protection of stopping a person from voting with the same IP.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-03-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yes(you could see the options) and you couldn't vote again. In bigger scheme it didn't matter because you could vote multiple times but it had general protection of stopping a person from voting with the same IP.
    Thanks, then I was wrong about it not having IP detection. Which I'm okay with since finding that out would've risked putting in an extra vote if it didn't have IP detection.

So vote-stuffing would've been at least somewhat limited. I imagine at most an extremely dedicated person could go to a library and get on every computer in addition to every personal device, but I also assume ability to do that is pretty limited by COVID.
    Last edited by salarta; 02-03-2021 at 01:41 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And just like that...all the fun and joy and entertainment are sucked right out of the event.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I wonder if Marvel provided that update about Banshee gaining and Polaris decreasing just so that it's not that obvious Lorna's going to win, so fans have one more reason to check out the Hellfire Gala books in June.

I do like Sean but objectively speaking, he can't be anywhere near as popular as Lorna: both characters haven't exactly been featured in a book continuously however Lorna has appeared much more regularly since 90's X-Factor and has enjoyed media exposure very recently with The Gifted, while Sean has mostly been dead for the past decade or so and only very recently resurfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I wonder if Marvel provided that update about Banshee gaining and Polaris decreasing just so that it's not that obvious Lorna's going to win, so fans have one more reason to check out the Hellfire Gala books in June.

I do like Sean but objectively speaking, he can't be anywhere near as popular as Lorna: both characters haven't exactly been featured in a book continuously however Lorna has appeared much more regularly since 90's X-Factor and has enjoyed media exposure very recently with The Gifted, while Sean has mostly been dead for the past decade or so and only very recently resurfaced.
    I think Marvel had a couple reasons for that update. The simple, more innocent reason was to add drama and tension that they could hope would drive more engagement. The less innocent reason was that by highlighting Banshee's rise, they gave people who didn't want Lorna to win more of a nudge to who had the best shot at overtaking her so they could rally around him. This could've been said about the day 1 results as well, but until the "biggest gains and falls" tweet it could have also just been assumed that Banshee got almost all the votes he could already and a different character still had a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And just like that...all the fun and joy and entertainment are sucked right out of the event.
    Eh, the event itself is basically over so there isn't really any fun and joy left to be had in it.

It's going to leave a pretty interesting impression though if the winner is "straight white male." Maybe Marvel will give Banshee some changes in that vein though like with Nick Fury, who knows.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Thankfully...there's still the announcement of the winner to look forward to.

If the reveals are to happen in June...I don't know know if I can stand the expectation for another five months.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Thankfully...there's still the announcement of the winner to look forward to.

If the reveals are to happen in June...I don't know know if I can stand the expectation for another five months.
    I'm assuming Banshee won. The campaign of X-Factor fans to keep Lorna from getting votes could have been very persuasive to the average person, who might assume fan chatter claiming "X-Factor is the best place for Lorna" is a consensus of Lorna fans and go along with it, not at all aware of why Lorna needs this and Lorna fan support for her joining X-Men. Plus it's common in Lorna's history to get screwed out of things she badly needs and deserves for reasons other than whether or not there's enough interest in her to show she should get those things anyway.

Incredible Member

I'm assuming Banshee won. The campaign of X-Factor fans to keep Lorna from getting votes could have been very persuasive to the average person, who might assume fan chatter claiming "X-Factor is the best place for Lorna" is a consensus of Lorna fans and go along with it, not at all aware of why Lorna needs this and Lorna fan support for her joining X-Men. Plus it's common in Lorna's history to get screwed out of things she badly needs and deserves for reasons other than whether or not there's enough interest in her to show she should get those things anyway.
    I guess it's fair to say she's had a bad deal at times over the years, but I think Banshee's had it at least as bad. They kind of mirror each other with power losses, being written out, half hearted comebacks, being a horseman etc. But poor old Banshee has been mostly dead, or a mindless zombie for the past decade. Worse still, it's just been revealed that everyone has been using him for years. Moira, Xavier and Magneto have obviously just wanted him around as a sort of bodyguard. It's a long time since he was written with any respect, and since this new era he's been respected even less.

The trouble for both of them is they're just not quite 'a' list characters. They're the ones writers turn to who they know will be reasonably popular, but it isn't going to matter too much if they screw them over.

I thought the vote between the two would have been close, but obviously the appearance of Polaris in the Gifted show has kind of propelled her ahead.

Incredible Member

I agree with Big Joe. It’s been a rough decade for Sean and Lorna ( who were written as being good friends back in the day.) I hope they both make the team...along with Tempo, who has a great power set.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I guess it's fair to say she's had a bad deal at times over the years, but I think Banshee's had it at least as bad. They kind of mirror each other with power losses, being written out, half hearted comebacks, being a horseman etc. But poor old Banshee has been mostly dead, or a mindless zombie for the past decade. Worse still, it's just been revealed that everyone has been using him for years. Moira, Xavier and Magneto have obviously just wanted him around as a sort of bodyguard. It's a long time since he was written with any respect, and since this new era he's been respected even less.

The trouble for both of them is they're just not quite 'a' list characters. They're the ones writers turn to who they know will be reasonably popular, but it isn't going to matter too much if they screw them over.

I thought the vote between the two would have been close, but obviously the appearance of Polaris in the Gifted show has kind of propelled her ahead.
    Yeah, I do think Gifted played a large part in Lorna's chances. Though not as much as it could have. Emma Dumont was aware of it and voted, but she didn't promote it, and I think a promotion from her could have overcome all the other things slanted against Lorna (she has 487k followers on instagram, 47.5k on Twitter, and likely a lot more on Asian social media since she spends most of her social media time on those services).

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    I agree with Big Joe. It’s been a rough decade for Sean and Lorna ( who were written as being good friends back in the day.) I hope they both make the team...along with Tempo, who has a great power set.
    I said it before, but I'd like and be for this outcome, even if Lorna won over Banshee. I want all characters to get good things they deserve, and generally the only time I have a problem with a character is if another character (mainly Lorna, of course) is misused for their benefit. Though even then I generally blame Marvel or the editors or writers, not the character themselves.

All things said, if Marvel was treating Lorna the way she should be treated, I think I would've voted for Tempo. Adding a Black female character to the team is a good add on the diversity front in a franchise that's too often straight white male centric, and if Storm's on the team, having two Black women avoids or at least minimizes the issue of tokenism. Being as new as she is actually would have worked against her in forming my opinion though. Because in general, I think characters who have been around longer are more deserving of a spotlight if they haven't gotten it compared to newer characters.

Mighty Member

In this forum:

1. Tempo
    2. Polaris
    3. Banshee

But I doubt Tempo will win in the real election.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post

Yeah I think so too. She had nearly a quarter of the vote at the first tally. I think catching up to her would be very hard.

Most fans aren't twitter or forum people. So the campaign isn't necessarily successful unless people just cheated. What's annoying is there's no way of knowing. Given the participants the only logical outcome was a Polaris' win none of the other characters have her popularity or exposure. If she loses it will just look like it was lost due to cheating from a minority.
    w
    It just depends on how many "normies" voted as Williams said. Polaris has more overall appeal and recognition. Daughter of Magneto, 2nd X-Woman, Sister of Wanda Maximoff (whose hit show is on now) The Gifted, Wolverine and the X-Men, important plot character in X-Men Legends, two recent action figures, Marvel Puzzle Quest, Marvel hero Quest, Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past mobile, featured in PAD iconic X-Factor run etc. She just has too much going for her compared to other characters.

I think you could make a better argument that her profile bordered on two big to be included with the other characters.