Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batmen of All Nations / Batman Incorporated Appreciation 2021

Well, with Williamson taking over the Batman title starting with issue #118, and what looks like a return of the Batman Incorporated Bat-suit,

I know some people have already expressed hope that Batman's coming story outside of Gotham City might mean we see some of the old "Club of Heroes" gang.

Who knows?

Jiro and Nightrunner are my favorites Batmen of All Nations.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It does feel like Williamson is very into Morrison's creations (Damian, Calvin, Justice Incarnate) so him bringing back Batman Inc. sounds very plausible. And hey, I'm not going to complain, I need some Man of Bats and Knight/Squire in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It does feel like Williamson is very into Morrison's creations (Damian, Calvin, Justice Incarnate) so him bringing back Batman Inc. sounds very plausible. And hey, I'm not going to complain, I need some Man of Bats and Knight/Squire in my life.
    Well, the "Knight/Squire" bit may be a bit tough. Beryl Hutchinson became The Knight after the death of Cyril Sheldrake, but she hadn't acquired a Squire yet. (Unless they want to use the Squire (Amina) introduced in Tom Taylor's Batman: The Detective, but I don't think that title is part of current continuity?)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, the "Knight/Squire" bit may be a bit tough. Beryl Hutchinson became The Knight after the death of Cyril Sheldrake, but she hadn't acquired a Squire yet. (Unless they want to use the Squire (Amina) introduced in Tom Taylor's Batman: The Detective, but I don't think that title is part of current continuity?)
    No, back at its announcement, Taylor stated Batman: The Detective was its own thing. But I'd love to see Knight return, and maybe see her acquire her own Squire. Whether they pull Amina into present-continuity, or introduce a new one, it would be fun to see a lot of the Batman Inc. characters again.

Bring back David

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Bring back David
    I suggested this in the Williamson taking over thread.

While the early days of the New 52 were one of only two times I've actually followed comics monthly- and I only followed the Green Lantern line at the time- I was always super intrigued at the idea of Batwing, and while Luke is fine, David feels a lot more original to me and distinct.

I love the idea of someone taking the Bat-symbol in Africa and forging his own identity. While I think having one single Batman to represent all of Africa was stupid and poorly thought out, I'd still love to see David revisited. Something happens that pulls him out of his self-retirement, and he's back in the cape all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post

While the early days of the New 52 were one of only two times I've actually followed comics monthly- and I only followed the Green Lantern line at the time- I was always super intrigued at the idea of Batwing, and while Luke is fine, David feels a lot more original to me and distinct.

I love the idea of someone taking the Bat-symbol in Africa and forging his own identity. While I think having one single Batman to represent all of Africa was stupid and poorly thought out, I'd still love to see David revisited. Something happens that pulls him out of his self-retirement, and he's back in the cape all over again.
    Or maybe have David decide to be independent of the "Batman" franchise and have him develop his own, unique identity?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post

Technically he's the Batman of Congo, but I get what you mean, since America has about 4 Batmen, Bruce, Dick, Man of Bats and El Gaucho

Or maybe have David decide to be independent of the "Batman" franchise and have him develop his own, unique identity?
    Last time he said he can't solve the problem in Congo by being a Batman, I think he means superhero, since, if I remember correctly, the problem there isn't about costumed villains like in Gotham

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I Like their appearance on Batman: The Brave and The Bold.
    Last edited by signalman112; 08-26-2021 at 03:00 AM.

Very true. While reading Detective I had the feeling that Amina might be Beryl's and Lone Ranger's (I don't remember exactly his name/codename, the guy from Australia) daughter. So I could see her being brought in, but she'd be definitely too young to be Squire.

But real reason why I wrote Knight/Squire is that I'm not sure what is their status after Rebirth and Infinite Frontier. For all I know DC might have retconned Cyril's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Last time he said he can't solve the problem in Congo by being a Batman, I think he means superhero, since, if I remember correctly, the problem there isn't about costumed villains like in Gotham
    Could be an older mentor figure to some young African hero then?

Technically he's the Batman of Congo, but I get what you mean, since America has about 4 Batmen, Bruce, Dick, Man of Bats and El Gaucho.
    You have to be careful about your use of "America" since here in the U.S., many people automatically equate "America" = "USA" while you seem to be using it for the different continents (since El Gaucho was out of South America and Bruce, Dick, & Man-of-Bats are based in North AmericA).
    Besides, Dick hasn't been Batman for about a decade now.
    (Tim "Jace" Fox seems to be a "Batman" now.)

Incredible Member

Technically he's the Batman of Congo, but I get what you mean, since America has about 4 Batmen, Bruce, Dick, Man of Bats and El Gaucho
    I'll admit, I don't think he realized he was specifically located out of Congo. I picked up the entire series a few months ago, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I was basing my knowledge on the solicit text, which didn't specify. That at least makes it a little better for me.

As a part of the acclaimed DC Comics--The New 52 event of September 2011, Batwing follows a soldier carrying on the legacy of The Dark Knight in the most tumultuous region on Earth. Meet Batwing, the Batman of Africa, as he takes on the villainous Massacre!
    This volume collects issues #1-6 of BATWING part of the DC Comics--The New 52 event.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Bring back David
    Still can't believe they swap David for Luke Fox.
    David was 10 times better and more interesting.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

The original "Batmen of All Nations", from Detective Comics #215 (January 1955)
    * the original Knight and Squire (Percival "Percy" Sheldrake and his son Cyril Sheldrake) = deceased
    * Musketeer = possibly retired?
    * Legionary (Alphonso Giovanni) = deceased
    * El Gaucho (Don Santiago Vargas) = still active?
    * Ranger (later Dark Ranger) = deceased

Later, Wingman (originally from Batman #65) would be retconned in to the "Club of Heroes" in 1986 (by Roy Thomas), and Grant Morrison would include Chief Man of Bats (William Eagle) and his son Little Raven (both originally from Batman #86) as part of the original group.