Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Star Wars: Light of the Jedi

In the world of Star Wars Charles Soule is a writer that's delivered some truly amazing characterization, both in Darth Vader and the main Star Wars book, and come up with some fantastic plots...but though not as decompressed as Gillen, Soule does have a habit of creating stories that are stretched out beyond their necessary confines, often turning plots that could have worked much better as three issue stories into eight part monstrosities for no other reason than to fill an entire trade. I had hoped that when broken free from the constraints of the medium of monthly comic books his over all writing would come to match the highs he's exhibited before...however even when given an entire novel to tell a story his pacing is terrible.

This novel is written to launch an entire new era of Star Wars fiction, and it feels like it. There's a lot of world building here...that's almost interesting. There are new characters introduced...but then shelved. And new worlds to explore...which are the strongest element as they really do give you a real sense of exploration that is fun and exciting. That opening makes it sound worse than it is I suppose, and don't get me wrong I was disappointed but when the book gets out of its own way, there are truly poignant moments and characters. Soule sets up a tragedy that instantly recalls to me the feelings I felt during 9/11...only set in the Star Wars landscape. The initial deaths in the earliest chapters land perfectly, and the way you see the story from multiple levels from Jedi and political leaders to humble Republic officers and farmers makes it all feel very real...but then the plot moves on to something else leaving you cold.

Ultimately, this book was not ready yet, and it’s saddening to see. For every scene of high-speed action or a grounded moment of humanity in a galaxy slipping out of control, there’s a new problem that breaks you out of the flow of reading. It’s such a shame as, if you trimmed all the excessive details, retooled some wording, chose one of the two plots to focus on, and honed in on the truly touching parts of the story, there would be a worthwhile read here.

It's kind of interesting to me that the Nihil have a Rule of Three in contrast to the Sith's Rule of Two.

Marchion Ro seems like he'd make a good Sith Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of interesting to me that the Nihil have a Rule of Three in contrast to the Sith's Rule of Two.

Marchion Ro seems like he'd make a good Sith Lord.
    If he had any real characterization I suppose he could be a good Sith Lord...but as written? He's not a particularly interesting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If he had any real characterization I suppose he could be a good Sith Lord...but as written? He's not a particularly interesting anything.
    I thought he was pretty effective as this guy posing as nothing more than a designated Google Maps for the Nihil before he basically out-maneuvers the entire leadership and group to serve his own ends. I thought his absolute takedown of Kassav was pretty awesome.

I thought he was pretty effective as this guy posing as nothing more than a designated Google Maps for the Nihil before he basically out-maneuvers the entire leadership and group to serve his own ends. I thought his absolute takedown of Kassav was pretty awesome.
    Except there wasn't any suspense to it, he says in pretty much his first scene that he's taking over so you know the whole submissive persona is an act. Like just about everything else in the novel, there were good bones to him as a character but due to poor pacing and a tendency to tell rather than show that potential was seriously squandered.

Except there wasn't any suspense to it, he says in pretty much his first scene that he's taking over so you know the whole submissive persona is an act. Like just about everything else in the novel, there were good bones to him as a character but due to poor pacing and a tendency to tell rather than show that potential was seriously squandered.
    But then we see how they build from that to him taking over the Nihil and manipulating them all, which I thought worked. But to each their own .

But then we see how they build from that to him taking over the Nihil and manipulating them all, which I thought worked. But to each their own .
    It just didn't feel that manipulative as it felt like a done deal from the start for me, with out the suspense or mystery it lacked the fun of watching a manipulator work.

It just didn't feel that manipulative as it felt like a done deal from the start for me, with out the suspense or mystery it lacked the fun of watching a manipulator work.
    For me we get the initial set up of him having plans but then we see how all of what the Nihil is doing, the Emergance, and the subsequent fighting all builds up into his ultimate plan without him having spelled it out to us beyond having said plans.

All-New Member

I thought the entire sequence of the rescue mission to stop the wreckage was a really unique concept and did a good job of framing Jedi's role. Once that section was done I wasn't as intrigued by the Nihil and the ongoing conflict, but that entire opening section really served the purpose of highlighting the Jedi I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I thought the entire sequence of the rescue mission to stop the wreckage was a really unique concept and did a good job of framing Jedi's role. Once that section was done I wasn't as intrigued by the Nihil and the ongoing conflict, but that entire opening section really served the purpose of highlighting the Jedi I thought.
    It was a great way of showcasing them at the height of the prowess...but it went on forever.

All-New Member

i don't know this is a different era you can really tell which is great