Default Future State: Suicide Squad #1 Review and Discussion

I would view this issue as a taste of ideas to come for the Suicide Squad, and if that is the case Waller is up to some serious plotting in our near future. Honestly we don't really know what Waller is up to, all we know is that she has set up on Earth-3, she's nearly completed, and she's established her "Justice Squad" to get it done. Who is the Justice Squad? Well that is a bunch of villains and anti-heroes, such as Bolt from the upcoming Titans Academy who has a bit of troubled past but wanted to be a hero, alongside Conner Kent and all of them are dressed up as the Justice League and working for Waller for one reason or another. While we do get into some action, and of course some head exploding, most the issue is following our Justice Squad (mainly Conner) and also a shadowy group who is tailing the JS.....look I won't bury the lead since covers and solicits have spoiled it, its Peacemaker with his own suicide squad coming for Waller.

But yeah mainly we find ourselves following Conner who is unsure of what he is doing, as he feels like he has a semblance of say in what goes on but obviously feels trapped by what Waller can do not just to him but what her backup plan is if he refuses to play ball. Which raises a serious question of spoilers:
    how did Waller get a black lantern ring and the corpses of the post Death-Metal Crime Syndicate, who I think now may play into Infinite Frontier run of Suicide Squad.
    end of spoilers

Personally I would look to this Future State series not as its own independent story but as a tease of what is to come, events that the Suicide Squad might find themselves in and characters who might be involved.

Besides that there is a DC One Million story that stars Black Adam, who looks a bit more like the rock and is apparently in a relationship with a silver Wonder Woman. I'm not really that big on DC One Million, I only know the Flash and the Robot Hourman from JSA, so unfortunately this story did not really do much for me. However, as a bit of a surprise it is also a bit of a tie in to the upcoming Infinite Frontier Flash run by Jeremy Adams.

spoilers:
    Because the issue ends with the arrival of Gold Beetle, who has a time traveling gold blue beetle ship. You know the woman seen on the covers for the April Flash issues.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

This all sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to read it
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

spoilers:
    Gold Beetle seems to take after both Booster and Rip Hunter.
    end of spoilers

I'm glad that Conner is the Rick Flag of the Group, not just another convict
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I'm glad that Conner is the Rick Flag of the Group, not just another convict
    I mean he does indicate that Waller could blow him up but he was being sassy to her at the time so it’s unsure of what she can do to him. But she does flat out threaten him, he’s just not treated like the others as in he actually argued with Waller about the team and some of the lunatics on it like Talon.

His exact words were “You want to blow me to bits, then just get it over with. Because I’m not in the mood for another lecture”
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-26-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Poor Black Manta.

By the end of the next issue I want Conner in thst jacket and glasses waller says she has.
    Disappointed, but not surprised kon doesn't have and TK in his powerset, ugh DC, ur so dumb.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Whole set up reminds me of Dark Avengers in a good way. Definitely excited for the ongoing Suicide Squad book to kick off come March.

Both stories were good.

Liked specially of who is "Wonder Woman" glad to see the use of some of her most forgotten rogues.

Always Rakzo

Jesus, Thompson's writing just doesn't get good. The narration to describe most of the cast was blunt as hell and the rest of the story was mostly predictable and a set-up for his upcoming run. Fernandez' art was good at least.

Second feature was much better due that it actually offered new insights on Black Adam's character and the Justice League One Million is always welcomed. Pasarin's art is great too. Mostly decent issue overall.

The art in the Black Adam feature was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Poor Black Manta.
    Poor Superman Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I found it quite straight forward and solid. I think you might've read a different book than I did

This was one of the more enjoyable Future State books.

I got the dark avengers feel too, and I liked it also

Can someone explain how hypnotic woman's powers let her "do" what wonder woman does, not just make ppl think she is?

I really think this should be atleast 4 issues, i think the writer needs to have more space to get into the story and the characters more.

Disappointed thst I didn't see any TK powers for Conner

Hope the kon vs lor fight (if it happens) isnt a way to make kon look bad, because he is only half kryptonian, even though his TTK should make him just as powerful as them.

I did NOT like what happened to superman prime, he should have wiped the floor with ANY threat.

Black Adam is the rock now

I did like seeing future superman using his TK though

The art for the SS story was more gritty and dark and the future story was bright and clean, I prefer the second stories art for sure more, judt my preference, but I think the 1st stores art was good for the type of story we got

How the hell did Conner get mixed up with waller, and I hope he throws thst damn cape at her and wears the jacket and becomes a full blown heroic hero

Maybe after Conner kicks waller and the SS team to the curb he could create the Justice Underground team and go full on hero again, maybe even stay on earth 3 to do it