Spectacular Member

Default What's the best process for reading past comics / TPs?

For about a year and a half now, I've been keeping on top of the ongoing comics but I've decided I want a break and would like to start reading past comics / TPs.

What do you suggest is the best process for doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    For about a year and a half now, I've been keeping on top of the ongoing comics but I've decided I want a break and would like to start reading past comics / TPs.

I hate to be so blunt about it, but how about reading what you think might be the most interesting (to you) first?

What character(s) are you most interested in learning more about?
    Are there certain writers and/or artists you want to see how their earlier work was like?

If it's a historical interest you have, have you thought about checking out the Golden Age or Silver Age collected editions of certain characters / groups?

The best way is to dig through ratty cardboard boxes fillled with comics that smell of old newsprint at 25 cents a pop until you have a stack with covers too cool to resist. But, barring that possibility, the DC Universe app offers a great selection, if you like digital. Or tell us more about the books and characters you like and folks can make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    The best way is to dig through ratty cardboard boxes fillled with comics that smell of old newsprint at 25 cents a pop . . .
    Only 25¢ a pop? Are you talking cover-price?

Hell, I remember when they were 12¢ (U.S.) cover-price, and when I stated regularly buying comic books they were 20¢ for the cover-price!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I hate to be so blunt about it, but how about reading what you think might be the most interesting (to you) first?

What character(s) are you most interested in learning more about?
    Are there certain writers and/or artists you want to see how their earlier work was like?

If it's a historical interest you have, have you thought about checking out the Golden Age or Silver Age collected editions of certain characters / groups?
    This is important. What do you want to read?
    For instance, if you say you're interested in Batman and Superman, I'd say start with limited series Batman Year One and Superman The Man of Steel, both from the 80s, but you easily find them around, including TPs.
    Or you can sign services like Comixology and read them there.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

Boisterously Confused

How far back do you want to go? DC's Infinite Universe, for example has all but 12 issues out of The Justice Society's original All-Star Comics run, while their Batman and Superman titles have more holes in them than distressed jeans. Batman gets pretty consistent from the late 1960s on, but Superman remains spotty until the post-Crisis comics forward.

Still you can get a pretty wide, and pretty complete range of the Silver Age on. Once you've had your fill of the old days, you can cancel your subscriptions.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Grab them! And take them!

I just go with chronological so it's Action Comics #1 1938 and move forward then spread out from there