Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There is a simple beauty to the original origin of Donna that, imo, still has not been topped by the increasingly complicated crap they kept adding and tweaking and rebooting.
    If I were to "revamp" her origin, I would definitely go back to the orphan saved from a burning building scenario as a narrative framework.

Young Princess Diana rescued infant Donna from a burning ship, 'The Troy'* - an ancient Roman vessel, encountered in a time-storm, on one of the Amazons' many bizarre, sea expeditions! She and Queen Hippolyta are some of the first Amazons to hold the doomed ship's sole survivor, little Donna, ..after which the Queen adopts the babe and raises her, as her own daughter.

When she was old enough to ask how she came to the Island, Hippolyta told Donna that the ordeal on the Troy had gravely injured her lungs...left her near death. Donna learned her 3,000 [?] warrior sisters had entreated Hippolyta to allow Dr. Althea to impart a portion of their awesome powers, using the Purple Ray, to save Donna's life, ..miraculously and unexpectedly endowing the girl, with abilities, greater, than their own and nearly as terrific, as Wonder Woman's!

Under the tutelage of her sister heroes, Donna would spend her girlhood, training to use her powers.

When Donna finally follows Diana to Man's World, she saves the life of US Air Force Intelligence officer, General Phillip Darnell, who welcomes her into his small family and becomes her legal guardian, in the United States. Roaming the world's top-secret military bases, with her adoptive father, Donna grows up, travelling the world and learning its darkest and strangest secrets, while secretly battling the forces of evil, with her Amazon sister, Diana, and her heroic friends...

As WONDER GIRL!!!

*A time-lost Roman ship, named 'The Troy' isn't a stretch, at all. Roman ships were historically named for gods and historical events, in the classical world.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-21-2021 at 06:44 PM. Reason: style, clarity, content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I have an idea: how about Gail Simone fixes Donna's origin and gives us one hell of a butt-kicking Donna Troy 6-issue mini. In it, Donna would be shown to be a capable warrior, Titan's leader and firmly establishes her as one of DC's foremost female heroes. Drawn by Nicola Scott, of course.

Can somebody help me, with answering how many Amazons were living, at the time Donna came to them?

In reference to my Donna-origin, I like how this making Donna, Roman, sets her up, with a connection to the Roman gods, ..some of whom (the weirdest ones) are not Greek gods, vacationing in Italy. Might some of the more malevolent Romans antagonize Donna, in her superheroic career, as Troy...

Maybe. And, yes, that would be wa-aay cool!

Frankly, making Donna, Darnell's adoptive teenaged daughter, seems like a no-brainer move, that should have happened in the Fifties or the Sixties, ..when TV audiences were being introduced to Barbara Gordon's Batgirl. It centralizes the action in the Wonder Family, by creating opportunities for writers to include Donna, whenever Wonder Woman or Steve are interacting with Darnell, in a story, ..just as making Batgirl, Gordon's daughter, did in the Bat-comics. It's a way of moving Donna closer to the action-center of the Wonderverse, with-out moving her in, with Diana - no room, since my Diana is living, with Mala and Etta!

Don't get me started, on why the penthouse-fulla-wonderwominz idea isn't my magic sphere of tea. Imagine, if you can, Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, Mon-El, Bizarro, Steel, the Eradicator, Guardian, hetero-superman-crazy-Maxima and Krypto, all living under the same roof, standing around the kitchen in their tomato-red underpants, ..and that bothering you.

I think Donna needs her own situation, separate from Diana's, ..but, close to the storytelling.

That's it! I'm doing another 'Secret Files' thing on Wondabunga, ..starring Donna Troy!

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    There is a simple beauty to the original origin of Donna that, imo, still has not been topped by the increasingly complicated crap they kept adding and tweaking and rebooting.
    If I were to "revamp" her origin, I would definitely go back to the orphan saved from a burning building scenario as a narrative framework.
    Aye, all of that, HH! Simplicity of storytelling, in the original lends it a timeless feeling, which I much appreciate. It recalls the magic of pre-80s comics, before "Who The Expletive Is Donna Troy?" and stories, like it, ..sucked the fun out of everything.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-21-2021 at 09:45 PM. Reason: clarity, content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The motto should be: 'Keep it simple, stupid'. Origins are merely jumping off points, not the entire story. All the real **** should be happening in the characters present day lives.

As I outlined in Donna's appreciation thread, the most important aspects of her story is: she was rescued by Diana, adopted by the Amazons and then given powers by them which are similar to Diana's. She is the human one, with human struggles and represents the audience who looks up to Diana. She is relatable to audiences because she tries to be a mom and caretaker to her friends and teammates while also struggling with her own emotional baggage.

Thus my take on Donna Troy would be that she and Stacey were on a refugee ship escaping the war torn countries of Markovia and Vlatva* when they were ship wrecked due to a storm leaving a 3 year old Donna Troy clinging to a piece of wreckage. She floated along the Agean Sea when Themyscira appeared [in my take, the island can periodically appear wherever it wants] nearby. Donna was rescued by a teenage Diana who was flying nearby on the outskirts of Themyscira when she spotted her. Diana becomes Donna's primary care taker and in turn Donna developed a strong bond with Diana. Unfortunately, Donna was still on the verge of death, because she was still a child when she was exposed to these extreme circumstances. So Diana takes part in a ritual involving the Purple Healing Ray and gives a part of her life force to Donna thus granting her a copy of the same powers as Diana with potential for her to grow. Years later, a teenage Donna would follow Diana into Man's World to support her and to find out if she has family in Man's World.

*if there is a fictional war torn country in WW mythos I would gladly substitute it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The motto should be: 'Keep it simple, stupid'. Origins are merely jumping off points, not the entire story. All the real **** should be happening in the characters present day lives.

As I outlined in Donna's appreciation thread, the most important aspects of her story is: she was rescued by Diana, adopted by the Amazons and then given powers by them which are similar to Diana's. She is the human one, with human struggles and represents the audience who looks up to Diana. She is relatable to audiences because she tries to be a mom and caretaker to her friends and teammates while also struggling with her own emotional baggage...
    Well...I did that 'Secret Files' thing with Donna, over on Wondabunga, and here it is: REVOLUTION...DONNA TROY!

And I'm in total agreement, ovuh heah'!

I think my non-negotiable tenet for a Donna Troy origin fix would be NO MORE late retconned-in reveals and no blind corners. I thought about leaving her pre-Amazon family, a blank, but, the terrible prospect of a self-absorbed, celeb writer retconning in something stupid - Donna comes from MONKEYS...got monkey-powers - compelled me to seal the narrative tomb, in some way discouraging that sort of thing. You'll see that, in my Wondabunga Secret Files thingy, ..Donna knows her entire origin story, back and front, from her earliest age, ..as literally told her, by Queen Hippolyta.

The origin just needs to justify Donna's powers, connect her to Wonder Woman, in some entertaining way, and get her into action. That's all! On a sidebar, I'm sick of comic book writers over-explaining things.

No, "Great Hera, Bwana Beast--this means MADONNA's my MOM, and HARLEY and I are SISTERS!" ...kuh-rapp! Seriously...total crap! Enough of that, with Donna Troy!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-25-2021 at 02:54 AM. Reason: clarity