Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pitch A Direction: Donna Troy

DC_Special_Return_of_Donna_Troy_Vol_1_4_Textless.jpg

Donna Troy alias Wonder Girl and later Troia, Darkstar and Wonder Woman, is a superhero with a long association with the Teen Titans and Titans. Donna Troy was created by Bob Haney and Bruno Premiani and first appeared in Brave and The Bold (vol. 1) #60 in July 1965.

Donna has multiple origin stories with her being a mirror-image of Wonder Woman and a rescued orphan.

With Yara Flor becoming Wonder Girl, what direction would you pitch for Donna Troy?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

What I put in the Appreciation Thread:

Rewatching Thor had me thinking about Donna and all of her origins...they should just make Donna the daughter of the Titans of Myth. Her mother or father or whatever, fearing for Donnas life goes to Hippolyta and places her in charge of protecting the child. They pull a Buffy and manipulate time and space into thinking that Donna has always been Diana's sister.

Donna is of course trained in the Amazon ways but always looks to the stars and feels there is more then Paradise Island. Hippolyta grants her wish to join Diana in Mans World for X amount of years before she is to come back and resume her Amazonian duties.

Dark Angel is part of the Titans of Myth and is the one who exposes Donnas true lineage and this causes Donna to stay with the Titans and Mans World longer and temporarily break away from the Amazons. She gives up the Wonder Girl mantle to form her own identity (Troia). This helps keep her out of the Wonder Woman books since writers love to ignore Donna in the book anyway and gives her a chance to reconnect with Diana and the Amazons later when need be.

I am not the most knowledgeable about Donna Troy but instead of her being a clone I would have her be an orphan rescued by Diana and was taken to Themyscira by a divine contract. Unknown to the Amazons not even Diana minus Hippolyta and a few selected others through a Titan, Donna has been seeded with divine power of the Titans and is the descendant of Selene, goddess of the moon. I would like to see Donna Troy being empowered by the Titans oppose to Diana who is empowered by Olympians her abilities could be similar but also different instead of having the wisdom of Athena she would have the memory of Mnemosyne and I would have Prometheus as one of her patrons.

To me, Donna has always been sort of a 'less' adventurous version of WW she is someone who wants to have a normal and functional life, I would have her be based in Gateway City or New York City. I remember that she worked as a photographer and owned a studio so I would bring her occupation back, the episode with both her and Nightwing makes me visualize her as a CSI photographer and teaming up with Dick both in and out of their jobs which her finding criminals but I would like to see her having a job in photography which does not relate to superheroing such as fashion and/or portrait photography and it would give her some state of normalcy.
    Last edited by Incognito; 01-26-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I am not the most knowledgeable about Donna Troy but instead of her being a clone I would have her be an orphan rescued by Diana and was taken to Themyscira by a divine contract. Unknown to the Amazons not even Diana minus Hippolyta and a few selected others through a Titan, Donna has been seeded with divine power of the Titans and is the descendant of Selene, goddess of the moon. I would like to see Donna Troy being empowered by the Titans oppose to Diana who is empowered by Olympians her abilities could be similar but also different instead of having the wisdom of Athena she would have the memory of Mnemosyne and I would have Prometheus as one of her patrons.

To me, Donna has always been sort of a 'less' adventurous version of WW she is someone who wants to have a normal and functional life, I would have her be based in Gateway City or New York City. I remember that she worked as a photographer and owned a studio so I would bring her occupation back, the episode with both her and Nightwing makes me visualize her as a CSI photographer and teaming up with Dick both in and out of their jobs which her finding criminals but I would like to see her having a job in photography which does not relate to superheroing such as fashion and/or portrait photography and it would give her some state of normalcy.
    Donna is not a clone.

Simply make Donna the Daughter of Jason.making her Diana's niece but im would have Jason be Diana's Younger Brother so Nubia could still be her Twin.and maybe Grail could be her Mother which would make her the Granchild of both Zues and Darkseid.her stories would be endless.she could even be a New God.

Just let Donna be the simplest as is possible. Since the orphan origin and the Titans of Myth seem to be the most iconic, go with a version of that.

Rescued by Diana and raised on the Island as Diana's adopted sister, she becomes blessed with the powers of the Titans of Myth and goes to the outside world to follow in her sister's footsepteps as a hero.

The details can vary, but let's shave off all the "mystic twin /compression of every version of her/created villain reformed " nonsense... she doesn't need all that complicated baggage...

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

If I were to give Donna a series, the first four issues would sort out her origin. The Siren Thelxiope becomes enraged when Donna is saved by Diana from a boat she was trying to destroy. This begins a life long hatred of Donna which is only fueled by the interest of the Titans in Donna. Thelxiope's hatred leads her to constantly try to destroy Donna, to the point of convincing the Queen of Fables to help her take the place of Donna. (In my head this takes place at the beginning of the New 52 version of Donna who is more angry and violent. Donna breaks free of her imprisonment and defeats Thelxiope, who begins calling herself the Dark Angel.
    The next arc would be setting Donna's place...she has become a freelance photo journalist moving across the world where she becomes more renowned super hero (as Diana's roll seems to be more and more myth based stories).
    Villains Donna battles would be some of Diana's forgotten rogues like Osira, the Mask, Angle Man as well as the aforementioned Dark Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Donna is not a clone.
    One of her four origins, she was a mirror-image of Diana, so she is a clone.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Donna should be saved by one of the Olympian gods or the Titans of Myth and given to Hippolyta when Diana is a child or in her teen years, and she should be gifted the powers of a demi-goddess by said god in order to allow her to measure up. She should be trained by the Amazon's but always feel like there's something missing and that she could be a part of something more, and as a result of that when she comes of age she follows Diana to Man's World whether or not that cuts her off from Themyscira. She becomes enamored with it in a different way that Diana did, loving it for what it is as opposed to what it could be, and finding the good that has been mixed in with all of the bad. She goes out of her way to be approachable and learn the ways of Man's World, makes friends (notably the Teen Titans), and she fits in very specifically more than her older sister does. Diana feels out of place in Man's World, but she loves it and she wants it to be better, she has a lot of expectations. Donna fits, and while she wants to make the world a better place she does so through her own actions and isn't trying to make any sweeping changes. I'd also give the Kapatelis' to Donna either just as much, or more, than Diana.

Through her actions with the Titans and in Man's World Donna would be one of many individuals throughout the universe that gets the attention of the Titans of Myth on New Cronus, who are dying and they have been looking for their eventual successors. Donna was chosen by the Titans that represent the moon and stars, Coeus and Phoebe, to be their successor. Ideally Donna would get her own mini that would show her traveling to New Cronus and being selected by the gods, training for what it is to come, and dealing with the fact that not all of those who were selected were ready to take on that power... similar to how that story happened with the Titan Seeds in New Teen Titans, but more explicitly focusing on Donna. At the end of it all Donna would be left as the new Titan of the Moon and Stars, Troia (in other territories where this is a bad word, she's just called Troy), and she would return to Earth with the new abilities and the star field that she originally possessed after becoming Troia in the post-Crisis canon.

I'd also feature her much as canon has, as the staple member of the Titans. She's their lynchpin even when she isn't the leader of the team, but at the same time I think that she should also be on the same level as other heavy hitters and be featured as such. Her roles in Death Metal when she rallies the troops in Diana's name and then leads the Titans to battle were fantastic and I'd like to see more of that; in this setting she's as strong as Wonder Woman but she also has powers that make her similar to Captain Marvel, with her photon blasts. She would also receive the Lasso of Persuasion as one of her godly abilities, and that would be something that is uniquely hers.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

So...basically the direction everyone is pitching for Donna is “backwards”- as in rehashing her origin..?

I would love to see Donna become a prominent leader and mentor to the Teen Titan and Young Justice teams while also serving as a diplomatic emissary/modern day historian of the Amazon’s (she’s still a photographer, right?). Perhaps based out of the Themiscyran embassy, where she documents the Amazon’s re-entry into the modern world but also jumping into to fight or help out whenever danger presents itself. This way she could be a semi-regular in all three titles which widens her presence beyond that of former side-kick to Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    So...basically the direction everyone is pitching for Donna is “backwards”- as in rehashing her origin..?

I would love to see Donna become a prominent leader and mentor to the Teen Titan and Young Justice teams while also serving as a diplomatic emissary/modern day historian of the Amazon’s (she’s still a photographer, right?). Perhaps based out of the Themiscyran embassy, where she documents the Amazon’s re-entry into the modern world but also jumping into to fight or help out whenever danger presents itself. This way she could be a semi-regular in all three titles which widens her presence beyond that of former side-kick to Wonder Woman.
    You have to know that whenever the Donna topic comes up, fixing her origin is going to be a part of it.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I haven't read much of Donna's origin and I see that people prefer the orphan origin so my question is what makes Donna so special that she brings her to the island? I say this assuming she's saved many children before her.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I haven't read much of Donna's origin and I see that people prefer the orphan origin so my question is what makes Donna so special that she brings her to the island? I say this assuming she's saved many children before her.
    Presumably if Diana is the one saving Donna, she didn't have anyone else to take care of her. When Diana finds Donna she's quite literally an orphaned toddler in a burning building with no adults around, so Diana brings her home to Themyscira and she's raised as her sister.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Thats partially why I dont like the burning orphan origin. Diana saves plenty of kids and should know where to go if parents arent around but for some reason she takes Donna? Doesnt know anything about possible family members out there that may be looking for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Thats partially why I dont like the burning orphan origin. Diana saves plenty of kids and should know where to go if parents arent around but for some reason she takes Donna? Doesnt know anything about possible family members out there that may be looking for her?
    Who says Donna would have family members looking for her?