Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Hence Sentry's "issues" (though Bendis in Dark Avengers just gave us villains powerful enough to take him out, at-least for a bit - Morgan le Fay, Molecule Man). But would fans want most fights to start with BM taken off the map?
    I'm very much in favor of the Mighty Avengers having a rogues gallery of extremely powerful villains. I'm not saying that BM has to singlehandedly take out Deathwalker Prime, but all of its henchman and underlings -- and maybe even the individual Elementals themselves -- should be portrayed and treated like the fodder they are. BM was only facing were-beasts. He should have dispatched them quicker. They all should have.

I know it's tough for writers, but maybe the answer is to have a new Avengers subdivision comprised only of the team's most powerful members. An Avengers Nth Command that only gets called in to deal with the likes of Thanos, Korvac, Galactus, Molecule Man, etc., etc. and other Nth level villains. That way we wouldn't have to worry about curtailing the Hulk, Sentry, Thor, Hyperion, Captain Marvel/Binary, Spectrum, Blue Marvel, Wonder Man and others just to make the storyline work. And it would be easier for a writer to make the distinctions between, say, Hyperion's powers in contrast to a Blue Marvel. Sure, both fly and have superhuman strength, but far too many stories stop there, which is a shame. Having more powerful villains opens up the entire repertoire for both Hyperion and Blue Marvel, as well as for Thor and the others. What these guys can do when they're not constrained by editorial parameters is off the charts. But we rarely get to see it. Give me a 12 issue limited series of a team like that with the right writer and I'd be happy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    That wasn't really the reason for the sales hike though. Issue #9 was the first issue of the "Secret Origin of Tony Stark" and had him as a baby on the cover.
    Tell me any other new storyline of an ongoing series in the past 25 years that gave sales such a huge boost as that one.
    And the issues just prior were part of the hugely successful AvX crossover, which probably propped up sales quite a bit already.
    Last edited by the4thpip; 08-24-2014 at 12:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Larroca's not one of my favourites. But unlike Land, he's capable of showing a wide range of emotions and expressions. Land just grabs Male Grin and slaps it on the page, then puts Female Sultry Smile next to it. And then if he needs a woman to look concerned, he'll recycle Female Sultry Smile and maybe change her eyebrows ever-so-slightly.

Greg Land is a hack. Larroca may have gone downhill, but he's still vastly less annoying than Land tracing the same damned photos all the time.

You keep calling Land a hack yet the same thing you accuse him of Larroca does the same thing yet you're a ok when he does it

Double standards

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    You keep calling Land a hack yet the same thing you accuse him of Larroca does the same thing yet you're a ok when he does it

Double standards
    Larroca's less blatant about the tracing and recycling. At the very least, he has a wider range of expressions he can give to characters. Grab 3 comics by Land. I can guarantee you, there will be at least one repeated face in all three. Identical face, with identical expression, probably even tilted the same way. Literally the exact, exact, exact same face. All traced from the same source. Man with a big grin? He uses the same face for every single man he gives a grin. Woman with her mouth wide open? He uses the same face for every woman whose mouth is open. He uses the same face for every woman looking sultry, and he actually uses that same face for every woman looking concerned.

Larroca's not an artist I find great. He's got a long damned way to go before he's as bad as Greg frigging Land.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Gideon mace is a part of the cortex plot. Avas god is resolved. The mighty hotline is resolved...thats how the old mighty avengers contacted the new ones. Thats why there was the commercial. So there's pretty much just blue marvels son and cortex.
    Gideon plot is connected to the cortex plot but he also has his own plot going within that plot. There is still more story to tell with Ava's god issue. The mighty hotline is still currently a work in progress which is fine because it is a sub plot.

I don't even really have to argue this. Sales have reflected with each divergence. I'm just hoping things pic back up. This book has always been fun to talk about and now that Falcon is going to finally get some spotlight I'm even more excited for it to do better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Gideon plot is connected to the cortex plot but he also has his own plot going within that plot. There is still more story to tell with Ava's god issue. The mighty hotline is still currently a work in progress which is fine because it is a sub plot.

I don't even really have to argue this. Sales have reflected with each divergence. I'm just hoping things pic back up. This book has always been fun to talk about and now that Falcon is going to finally get some spotlight I'm even more excited for it to do better.
    Why is there more to the tiger god? He agreed to give her full control and hid away. No dangling thread there. Also what about the hotline hasnt been resolved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Why is there more to the tiger god? He agreed to give her full control and hid away. No dangling thread there. Also what about the hotline hasnt been resolved.
    Hmmm.....dat hotline anglecud b a gr8 way 2 rope-in othr teams 4 a team-up plotline.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Traitor j/k

In all seriousness I still can't get behind the guy. Also part of the reason this book has been of course can be attributed to the time devoted to his story, which only a few were even asking for.

I just hope next go around with this title all the plot lines will either get wrapped up or at least make seem like they are not in the ether somewhere. I also want more shared focus on all the characters involved. There have been to many bits and pieces given out instead of full scoops.
    I think he works more in the background not in the forefront but I'm still not sold on him and I still hate his back story.
    We need better comics

Larroca's less blatant about the tracing and recycling. At the very least, he has a wider range of expressions he can give to characters. Grab 3 comics by Land. I can guarantee you, there will be at least one repeated face in all three. Identical face, with identical expression, probably even tilted the same way. Literally the exact, exact, exact same face. All traced from the same source. Man with a big grin? He uses the same face for every single man he gives a grin. Woman with her mouth wide open? He uses the same face for every woman whose mouth is open. He uses the same face for every woman looking sultry, and he actually uses that same face for every woman looking concerned.

Larroca's not an artist I find great. He's got a long damned way to go before he's as bad as Greg frigging Land.
    This, 100% xx

BANNED

Larocca is definitely in no way an improvement over Greg Land a far as layouts, character work and overall aethetics go but unlike some, I'm not going to let his atrocious art prevent me from enjoying Al Ewing's writing on this book.

I genuinely hope that he's not the permanent artist moving forward though.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 08-24-2014 at 11:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Larocca is definitely in no way an improvement over Greg Land a far as layouts, character work and overall aethetics go but unlike some, I'm not going to let his atrocious art prevent me from enjoying Al Ewing's writing on this book.

I genuinely hope that he' not the permanent artist moving forward though.

He's not, thankfully this is just a short run in with his horrid art

BANNED

He's not, thankfully this is just a short run in with his horrid art
    Thank heavens for that.

Greg Land definitely brought his A-game to the MA party.

I really wish he could stuck around the finih Blade's arc.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 08-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Double standards
    Honestly I thought Lands stuff looked better. Arts subjective I suppose.

Still, if this volume of the book is coming to a close then I sort of wish Land had stuck around through to the end, if for no other reason than to have a stable long term creative team working together for all or at least most of the run. I sort of miss that in comics these days, as artists just tend to float in and out of story arcs now. No one stays put for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Thank heavens for that.

Greg Land definitely brought his A-game to the MA party.

The problem is that this is his "A-game." I've seen these faces before. He's using the same damned face - literally the exact same face, with literally the exact same expressions - on every book he's drawn. His "A-game" is still more traced bullshit.

The problem is that this is his "A-game." I've seen these faces before. He's using the same damned face - literally the exact same face, with literally the exact same expressions - on every book he's drawn. His "A-game" is still more traced bullshit.
    To me at least, even if it's traced I still think it looks better (than the current stuff at least). Which is kind of all I care about. Don't get me wrong, I understand the criticism. But if the face looks good, I don't lose any sleep over whether or not he recycled the face.