Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Can Someone Please Explain To Me Spoiler's "Death" During War Games?

I've read the issue where Spoiler supposedly died. However I'm a little confused on how DC retroactively faked her death. I read on Wikipedia that apparently Leslie Thompkins tricked people into believing that a corpse of a girl who looked similar to Stephanie Brown was actually Stephanie Brown. But how could Thompkins possibly have pulled this off? There was an autopsy, so they must have figured out it was an imposter using dental records and fingerprints. Is this plot twist executed better than it sounds?

Thompkins did the autopsy.

It’s best not to think too much about it. The writers and editors didn’t, after all.
    Cheers - CL

Spoiler died in War Games.

Later someone else decided they wanted to use her again and decided that her death was faked. Take a deep breath and say, "ok." And don't try to ponder it more.

Her death was not faked in War Games to be brought back later.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Thompkins did the autopsy.
    This right here.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Spoiler died in War Games.

Later someone else decided they wanted to use her again and decided that her death was faked. Take a deep breath and say, "ok." And don't try to ponder it more.

Her death was not faked in War Games to be brought back later.
    But it's less of a stretch of the imagination than, say, a Superboy-Prime punch bringing back Jason Todd from the dead (while Jason was lying in damn coffin in a grave, but I guess nobody embalmed his corpse?) . . .

. . . just sayin' . . .

Compared to Superboy punch everything makes sense and is realistic.

Would've been SO much simpler if they'd said Tim had taken her body to a Lazarus Pit. There are ways to resurrect people, they didn't need to retcon that the death was fake when we clearly saw the flatline.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Steph's death in War Games was some Didio mandated nonsense that never should have happened in the first place. Something that other writers were fighting tooth and nail to stop from happening. So, much like the Ric disaster, I didn't really mind if the resolution was flawed. Just so long as she was back. It definitely could have been handled better. As could the character assassination of Leslie Thompkins. But it is what it is at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Would've been SO much simpler if they'd said Tim had taken her body to a Lazarus Pit. There are ways to resurrect people, they didn't need to retcon that the death was fake when we clearly saw the flatline.
    true, and that could have been the reason that Tim seemed to be on the outs with Bruce.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Red Robin 10-12 had hints that somebody dropped her the Lazarus Pits. She's able to hold her own against the Seven Men Of Death (twice), and RR 12 shows her eyes very briefly going bright green just like Damian, Lady Shiva, Talia, Ra's and others who have been confirmed as dipping in the Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I've read the issue where Spoiler supposedly died. However I'm a little confused on how DC retroactively faked her death.
    The point of the death was mean-spiritedness, I'm pretty sure.