Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Good to see yah back in here.
    Thank you I am happy to be back too.

I miss that Scott, he's never been as strong as the others but there's a reason he still stands shoulder to shoulder with them.
    I miss this Scott too, I hope he gets the opportunity to show off his leadership skills more.

As far as the team goes, building Scott and Jean up can only be a good thing, and that holds true for the other characters.
    I agree, I liked part of what we saw last issue but I need a lot of more meat when it comes to characterization for Jean, Scott and the team as well
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

How sensual and early 00's

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Why not just call it “Latin”? That’s already an English, genderless word. And English speakers already deal with saying the language is Spanish and the person is Spanish. And Spanish is a live language! Latin isn’t. How often do you talk about the language Latin instead of people whose native language is a Romance one? And you can still specify they're not the Europeans, Africans or Asian ones by calling them Latin Americans.

Latinx is so stupid - particularly when you consider that they people the word refers to hates it - it hurts my brain!

You have no idea what they’re trying to impose for Portuguese. It’s madness.

As for the name X-Men being outdated… Call me crazy, but I see language as a tool to convey meaning. Using "men" to describe a group that *includes* women was never meant to be derogatory or demeaning to them. We can't equate that to the n-word, for instance, that was meant to humiliate and oppress. So how can we be so flippant about wanting to change language that - again - is already inclusive and non-harmful? We'll be just impoverishing the language, by removing possible meanings of words. "Men" doesn't only mean the plural of "man", after all!

While I made jokes about how Romance languages are sexist, I've never consider changing them, 'cause, you know it's a charming quirk. It was never "meant" to diminish women. And even if it had some historical sexism attached to it, that's not the case nowadays anyway. Latin women are some of the most decisive, strong women there are, even in the sexist countries where they live.

So, really... what's this sh** about? 'Cause I don't get it.
    Even if I assume they mean well, pushing Latinx doesn't seem helpful to me.

Everything you've said about "X-Men" is what I'm trying to communicate in that thread but the topic keeps being brought back to Alonso.

As far as the romantic languages are concerned, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know why these changes in language are being pushed so hard, because language changes organically you know?

Same happens with other languages too when you’re speaking in English. It’s fascinating to think that a people found something was important enough to create a way of expressing it efficiently and other people didn’t. But they found something else that they needed to be evocative, so they created an idiom for that instead.
    Some idioms translate or have an equivalent but there's so many that don't.

I understand how you feel, Hiz. But this is a feeling.

Bring this to the most basic levels of civility and *think* about it.

Society exists under the idea that a person’s right ends where the other person’s begins. That means that the freedom of someone cannot inflict on the right to live of someone else.

It is really that simple and that dispassionate.

Denying that is saying that someone’s freedom should be regarded as more important than someone’s life.
    I guess I just wish enough people were on board so that this tension didn't exist.

That would be awesome, but you’re already so busy. Please, don’t.

(Though I’d still love the tamales recipe if you mom don’t mind sharing).

I meant to ask if you could convert the units for your mom, in case she’d like to cook any of the recipes. Not for every recipe I share here.

I’ll translate and leave everything in metric and whoever wants to try it out can throw it on goggle really quickly. For me it’s harder because I often don’t know which unit to use. For instance, you guys have different types of ounces.
    She's writing up the recipe as we speak, and we can make anything work.

I used to have a strong stomach, but I don’t anymore.

My real stomach was stronger than my methaphorical one. It kind of got inverted. Mmm… I wonder if that’s a correlation. Oh, yes: it’s called ageing.
    Well, as long as my metaphorical stomach picks up the slack, I think everything will turn out okay.

This visor is made for shooting and that’s just what it’ll do!

In case the song is just too old to be an immediate reference and the joke is completely lost:

That’s a great song for cooking, actually!
    Haha, I actually knew immediately what song you were referencing but I couldn't tell you where I heard it.

It’s quite good indeed considering the current trend in heartless comics.
    More of that and less of this heartless attitude.

Humans can be so tiresome. That’s why I prefer dogs.

But yeah, I mean… Prejudice is prejudice and it isn’t contained in the box of minorities.

I watched a video (I won’t link it here because he’s speaking in Portuguese) of a boy from Mozambique talking about how sad it is to see that racism is so ingrained in the natives that they let white people pass them when they’re standing in a line. In their own country. Usually this happens with white tourists who feel extremely uncomfortable with it because they see how wrong it is.

This has nothing to do with being a minority in that country. It has to do with how damaging internalised racism is. Sometimes I think those SJWs - as well-intended as they might be - are too ignorant to be able to consider the bigger pictures, especially if it escapes their immediate reality. Yet, they have an influence on global scale.

But it’s hard to even try to reach them and say: “the world is bigger than your perspective, so maybe don’t be so adamant about it, maybe listen to other people before assigning them the label “bigot” just because they don’t agre with you”.
    To the best of my knowledge, I've never interacted with an SJW, I only go online here and I don't have a massive social circle or activist/political friends - but I've certainly met people who belittle others with a difference of opinion. Racism and bigotry is certainly out there but that behavior won't address it.

I don’t think you’re cynical, Hiz. What you’re describing is someone who can see the state of things and yet hopes it will improve. Truly cynical people resign to the bleakness and sometimes get so attached to it, they strive to preserve it.
    Yikes, good point. Thanks for the pickmeup.

Just between the two of us? I find Orchis extremely boring.
    Oh yeah, they're hardly groundbreaking and they've been mishandled, but they're still better so far than Nimrod. Damning with faint praise but still.

Inferno might be the catalyst for me. I’m expecting I’ll hate it. I’ll try to read it with neutral eyes, but after Onslaught, if it doesn’t end with Krakoa in flames - which I’m sure it won’t - I’ll probably be too angry to keep reading anything. With the possible exception of X-Men just because I really love Jean and Scott.
    I don't think I'm gonna pick it up at all, Hickman's X-Men was a big disappointment and I can't put myself through that again.

The only insects I like are bees. But the other ones… well, they’re living creatures, right? I wouldn’t want to be killed just because I crossed paths with the apex predator of the planet, especially if they're not even going to eat me.

I know. I know. I’m crazy.
    Don't get me wrong, I like nature – but it better stay out of my home.

You get a fist bump too because of our shared spirit animal.

Cyclopes units!

Where’s my Dark Phoenix costume???
    I flipped through the most recent issue and came across that, I promptly placed it back on the shelf. I will say though, the art is good.

Yeah! Tell them, Hiz: we can be totally objective in an appreciation thread!

Seriously, though: compared to other threads, we rock.
    We know what we want and we're only moderately unreasonable!

And it doesn’t even need to ignore continuity: you can tell “hidden” stories, their minds can be plucked to an AU again, or have some good old time travel and bring them back 1 second after they left. In an universe as crazy as Marvel’s, the sky is the limit-- Nope. The sky is *not* the limit!
    They're putting the handcuffs onto themselves; The Adventures of Cyclops and Marvel Woman would sell.

Politicians are handling this. They are *not* smarter than you.
    Oh god no, not them, doctors.

I meant I’ll have to look for a shop that sells the model of son I want!
    Right of course, me too...

I have a super easy ice-cream recipe that doesn’t need an ice-cream maker. I’ll put that on the list for the cooking section.
    Excellent.

I love both intentionally funny and accidentally funny. I can’t choose which one I love the most, because intentionally funny denotes intelligence, but the accidentally funny is boosted by the unexpected factor.
    Oh for sure and I can laugh at things that weren't meant to be funny or jokes that didn't land.

You mean I have a snobbish Scott Summers as my spirit animal?
    Your parents saw your spirit animal and counted their blessings!

Great art does that indeed!
    That's what actually makes something relatable.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Mojo made a reference about it in the 90s cartoon by calling the "show" with Logan and Jean as "I dream of Jeannie". I mean, how could they pass on that joke?

I was referring to the Dark Phoenix costume, though: if using magic won't do the trick, then maybe threatening them with cosmic flames, might. :P

But I love those mash-up ideas. I once wrote Jean being dragged into a psychic conference by that brat Quentin Quire and arriving there wearing a Jessica Rabbit outfit. Everyone was pissed with their outfits, but she quite liked hers, actually!

So now you gave me an idea for another render, 'cause I bet that ruby red hair would look amazing against the pink outfit of genie.
    Whatever it takes, who could blame you?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post

Had mixed feelings about that second cover when the book came out. If that is supposed to represent the Cyclops/Apocalypse merged character I didn't find it sensual.

There is a panel in that series that will always be seared in my memory. First issue, I believe. Jean using the danger room to rerun the scenario and when it's over there is a panel where she is slumped in the middle of the floor, completely devastated. Joseph Harris wrote that book and caled them Marvel's greatest couple. And when the mess with Morrison and the aftermath happened, i used to say that series was the last time I read JOTT as I knew them. Well, through, Jean, he really captured the couple and what they meant to each other. That panel being a perfect example.

On X-Men #3, generally I thought it was okay. The fight seemed based on a thin pretext, I'm not sold on Laura/Synch, Scott's joke in the middle of battle seemed a bit off, and if I'm sick of anything it's the constant picnics.

Regarding our heroes, I liked their little back and forth at the end. And the progress with Urich will hopefully bear fruit soon, I'm very curious to see where this leads.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Exactly, even Magik and Mags commented they were attacked three times in three months on Empyre, so Scott was very relaxed but it wasn´t just his fault, Magik is also a GC and X-force was more interested in solving their own messes, so yes security has not been good on Krakoa and I agree Scott would not have allowed it..
    That reinforces my point: the character internal logic was broken with no explanation. Even if we’d admit somehow Scott was too enamored with what Krakoa could offer and how happy he was feeling because of that, he *should* have snapped out of it at the instance of the first attack since it became really clear that all of that could be lost in an instant of distraction.

So this argument that “his life was so bad before and he’s so happy now that he’s just enjoying it” doesn’t hold *any* water, when you consider who the character is and what is at stake for him!!!

Exactly because his life was so horrible before and he’s so happy now, he should be even *more* invested in keeping that place standing.

Imo he totally thinks it will do Scott good to relax given how he was with Utopia and with all of them back then, he was quite demanding but he didn´t took in consideration that compared to him Scott is usually relaxed so more relaxation is not good for him lol he needs to keep his tea and whisky to himself and maybe he would not have been like he´s on ToM.
    I don’t know, Lucy… I don’t think Scott is more relaxed than Magneto. I think they’re tense and stressed in different ways. :P

Lol I guess I just think I don´t really have a lot of control over it so I have the choice between accepting it with philosophy or stay mad for the next three months with every new issue and I need to save my energy for other things.
    I agree with you rationally and that’s why I walk away from comics from time to time: because I have better stuff to do with my money and time.

In a way, my anger protects me from spending more of my resources on something that isn’t worthy of them, you know?

I think Inferno will change the status quo a little bit as well as bring other circunstances for the characters and my guess is Duggan will keep using Jean and Scott because they formed the team so I would suggest to wait until Inferno is done and see if you like anything you see if not, then it´s good to take a break sometimes or just go enjoy other content.
    That’s the plan. Read it, if I’m not too furious and it doesn’t destroy my favourites as characters, keep reading only them.

You know, I get the feeling this is the exact thing marvel will do if this Scott take doesn´t ring true to the fans and it´s noticed by sales :P and while I know Gillen can have his moments, I think he´s one of the biggest Scott´s fans around and this will have a positive effect on his overall characterization given how closely all the X-writers are working right now. Another writer I would love to see tackling him would be Ewing. I just love his character work all around and he always tries his best to bring the best version of the characters.
    I’m not sure Gillen is a big Scott fan… Did you read it somewhere?

Yes we Magneto fans know it´s serious when he doesn´t say anything and instead is just drinking when he should be angry, it means he´s either extremely angry or just kind of happy because he´s messing with somebody and it puts people around him nervous. He should be having theraphy instead of it but given this is nearly impossible, I will take this option instead.

If he screws his liver up, they can always get him a new body. :P

Exactly this way at least I can blame the tea or his drinking.
    Maybe he had snorted some Krakoan spores. Or Dr. Nemesis had sneaked some of his special mushrooms in his food. :P

We actually love that kind of humor here, we use it frequently so we do get it most of the time and now you just revealed another reason why Jean just can´t have enough of Scott and I completely get it, because same.
    And it’s mutual: regardless of my headcanons, he also many reasons to be completely gaga for his red. Which is why I love them both so much as a couple. :)

I believe you, I have been missing it so much that any writer who manages it on new issues becomes an instant favorite for me. It just brings so many good storylines that it´s a shame it´s not used more often.
    It’s not just in comic books, though. Tv series and films for instance… it’s so hard to care for characters nowadays because they feel so robotic and flat.

I’m watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with my partner and this weekend I was gushing about the characters. I *care* about them.

Yes and it´s not a hard conclusion to come to and why I don´t get why those aspects are not included, Jean has shown different sides of herself during her long comic book story, to try and keep all those aspects is a good thing that should be considered, not ignored and while not perfect, I think Duggan has done better on this than Percy or Hickman imo, because she´s shown different sides of herself even if in just a subtle way and that´s the thing, Jean is subtle in her characterization, except when she´s mad or angry so most people don´t get those little changes in her temperament, for others Emma may seem more impactful because she´s a character very much "in your face" kind of thing, everything she does, it´s done with intensity but a subtle character can involve even more impact than that, when they are written showing all their different facets and experiences in cresscendo and then, they are allowed to get loose sometimes in particular instances, precisely because you are not used to see them act that way so those moments are special. I hope I made sense.
    I understood what you meant.

Duggan’s take on Jean is light years better than Percy’s or Hickman.

Jean is really hard to write, so I don’t judge writers too harshly for not getting all her aspects right. For instance, I love her in Red, but she didn’t have any of her explosive anger. The thing is that what it gets right is so right, I like the portrayal in general, even though I see the problems.

So I’m still not judging Duggan’s take on her yet. I’m giving him time to get the hang of her.

Nuance and character development this is exactly what he and a lot other characters could do good in getting more of.
    Yep.

We mentioned Pietro’s temper the other day, right? I don’t want his temper to be gone. But I don’t want him to be *only* his temper either. He should have matured quite a lot. He should deal with his temper in a more mature way, but it should still be there. That's nuance.

That makes a character a character, not a caricature.

Yes I had a lot of fun everytime she was on scene.
    When the writing and the actor just click, it’s magic! (pun intended) :P

Well I definitely think you would do better with you own head canon in this instance. I am just curious to see how he would manage it.
    He won’t. Not for now, at least.

I think an editor said something about letting readers to appreciate the art more and I agree, marvel has some excellent artist that make excellent work and their art is beatiful but I think we can get a balance between this and the need of the narrative to help tell the story and a big part of it is letting readers inside the characters head.
    Do people really buy those excuses? :D

‘Cause narrative boxes don’t take space from the art, right? :D

I can’t, Lucy! :D

Well I usually see it as two different things, one are the feats because they are awesome to see and I in particular enjoy the feats of leadership because it involves a skill not every character has and I think it takes a certain personality to get to that level of skill. So I see it as more part of Scott´s character than as a power feat so I totally get it´s also part of character development, because it´s great to see characters come into their own as leaders in a natural way because of all the missions they have directed.

I get the appeal of the feats because it comes in handy when you want to show off how badass your fave is but imo, that would be nothing if is not done along with the character development, else you end up with a Deus ex machina and not the character you know and love, characters NEED weaknesses and challenges to advance their story imo.
    Yeah. Feats can be delicious, but I really don’t need them, especially if the rest of the characterization is weak.

At this point, I will accept a telling if it gives Scott a little bit of his leadership back, then we can have the showing, it would be perfect if we get both at the same time.
    Not just his leadership, though. Can we have his whole personality back? Then they can "tell" me stuff and I won't complain.

You know,reading this after his take on Emma and Scott during AvX I think he already wrote a version of this, only with the phoenix force serving as an out for them and his comments about making a school and having trainess, well, that´s totally what Bendis did with Scott and Emma and yes, they were still kind of anti-heros at this point or heros in conflict with the main X-men team.

I also think this was an idea of the time, the fear that "Gasp" Scott is becoming "Magneto" someone stop him, while I as a fan was like, you know Magneto is right here right? in a very novel alliance with the X-men given this time he´s not just here to make Charles happy but because he wants to help and Scott is very much doing what he´s always done and tryng to make the best of a bad situation, so sure, I see he´s living at Asteroid M near San Francisco but other than that, I don´t see why are you saying he´s going to become Magneto, Scott is Scott and Magneto is Magneto, even a heel turn Scott would not behave like Magneto and would not do the same things he does get into and you know, having San Francisco, Utopia or even Asteroid M as mutant asylums when your people has been almost anhiliated, kind of makes sense AT THE MOMENT.

I honestly think it´s a very simplistic idea and what we got was the better version of it that made more sense for the characters, both for Scott and Emma and given Gillen admits he didn´t took this to an editor, makes me think it would not have ended the way he thought at first. Those are my two cents :)
    I appreciate your two cents more than the two million other posts think they’re offering. :P

I *think* people weren’t literal when they said Scott was turning into Magneto. But I think they used the analogy to express the general direction in which he was walking: basically getting one step away at a time from Xavier’s dream.

Now, he was not even close to that even at the worst moments. But I think it’s fair to say he’d go there if things kept getting worse and worse. And I quite understand it, particularly, under the circumstances.

As a Mexican and latin American, the Latinx term bothers me for two main reasons:

It´s done under the presumption that we need a new term to identify outselves that is not part of our language or identity, using an expression that comes from a completely different language, done by well meaning people that are not interested in knowing or understanding how our language actually works.

Latin American or Latinoamericano was a term decided after quite a lot of debate, because the Latin countries wanted to use a term that would serve as a point of identification for all, we have used other terms before and still do, like Iberoamerican but latin american was chosen because it´s "The term" that allows to include the Portuguesse, Spanish and French speaking nations, allowing each of them to find a point of union while keeping our differences by going back to our "romance language roots" and unity is hard to come by given our story but I just don´t have the patience to explain all of this to people who are of the oppinion that our mother language is not "inclusive enough" for their taste.
    Romance languages have linguistic gender and it’s not about living beings only: chairs, cars, trees, buildings all have genders. It’s q quirk of the languages and while I make fun of it myself (‘cause I’m a clown), I’d *never* suggest it to change.

This is *really* beyond political correctness.

Agreed completely.
    Get any dictionary and you’ll see that words have multiple meanings. Why are we arbitrarily choosing the ones we like the most? And if it’s not arbitrary, if we’re actively choosing the literal meaning and invalidating all others, how are we not making our languages poorer and less expressive?

This is not a science report that should strive to be precise, after all. Jeez!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post

Lucy got my spray bottle, so I'll need to go have a cold shower. Be right back.:D

Thanks for sharing, Celestialbodies, it's always nice to see those again. :)

Even if I assume they mean well, pushing Latinx doesn't seem helpful to me.

Everything you've said about "X-Men" is what I'm trying to communicate in that thread but the topic keeps being brought back to Alonso.

As far as the romantic languages are concerned, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know why these changes in language are being pushed so hard, because language changes organically you know?
    I know. I mentioned it there too. But nowadays I’m keeping my better explanations for this thread and private messages. I’m too tired of wasting time with people who don’t really want to discuss stuff.

You guys are gold. I love that we have this little corner where we can go into deeper arguments and considerations and, even when we disagree, it’s all good. I don’t feel drained. I feel invigorated.

If you want to use any of the stuff I said here on the thread, though, please, feel free. I don’t have the patience, but if the idea made sense to you, it’s yours now to share, my friend. That’s the whole point of us talking about it here. :)

Lastly, yes: forcing changes in language is absurd. Languages live and breathe. They change naturally.

Forcing changes in usage of words can be justified if they’re weapons to incite hatred (like the n-word). But the word “men” isn’t and has never been that.

Some idioms translate or have an equivalent but there's so many that don't.
    Yep. English has lots of them. Quite a handy language in this sense as well. :)

I guess I just wish enough people were on board so that this tension didn't exist.
    I agree. It reminds me of the last episode of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, actually. Have you watched it?

She's writing up the recipe as we speak, and we can make anything work.
    That’s awesome! :D

I worked on a render specifically for the cooking section of the crazy mess that is the thread! I’ll post that - and the first recipe - soon! :)

Well, as long as my metaphorical stomach picks up the slack, I think everything will turn out okay.
    Oh, honey, ageing will come to you too. Regardless of what happens to your real stomach, your metaphorical one will also get more sensitive because you’ll start to get more and more aware of you have less and less time to spend on BS. :P

Haha, I actually knew immediately what song you were referencing but I couldn't tell you where I heard it.
    Are you ready, visor? Start shooting! :D

I don’t know why my jelly does that. The other day I read quite some troll comments in a row and I got the “who let the dogs out?” song to my head, except, the jelly was singing “who let the trolls out?” instead. :P

I’m telling you: it’s an over active jelly with a life of its own. If one day I get a brain scan and the doctor tells me there’s an alien attached to my brain, I’ll reply: “yep. That explains it”. :D

More of that and less of this heartless attitude.
    It would be a dream, Hiz… I’d be a happy nerd! :)

To the best of my knowledge, I've never interacted with an SJW, I only go online here and I don't have a massive social circle or activist/political friends - but I've certainly met people who belittle others with a difference of opinion. Racism and bigotry is certainly out there but that behavior won't address it.
    I don’t interact with them in my personal social circle either, but they are influential and you can’t be unaware of what the most radicals say, even if you’re like me who does not use the big social media company products.

And you’re right: their behaviour don’t actually address racism and bigotry. But most of them aren’t trying. At some point, for some of them, the focus moves from the cause to the fight and then it becomes the fight.

Yikes, good point. Thanks for the pickmeup.
    I’m happy you felt that way, but it wasn’t intended as a pickmeup.

I told this to a friend yesterday: I deal with facts and jokes. That (=what I said in the previous message) was a fact. :P

It applies here too. :)

Oh yeah, they're hardly groundbreaking and they've been mishandled, but they're still better so far than Nimrod. Damning with faint praise but still.
    I don’t really disagree… Hickman tried to make Nimrod more compelling, but, in a way, he’d used the same strategy with Apocalypse and even Scott: “see? Do you see how cool they are? How they really love their wives? See? Background. There. It’s written. Now let me write them whatever the hell I want and stop bothering me.”

*Sigh*

Let’s see how we feel once the last issue of Inferno is out.

I don't think I'm gonna pick it up at all, Hickman's X-Men was a big disappointment and I can't put myself through that again.
    At the time I’m writing this, I could have bought it already because I live in Europe. But I haven’t and I’m not sure if I will. What does that tell you?

Don't get me wrong, I like nature – but it better stay out of my home.
    That’s how I feel too. But I try not to kill the critters who won’t become an infestation.

Cyclopes units!
    We have to come up with a good name for our team! :)

I flipped through the most recent issue and came across that, I promptly placed it back on the shelf. I will say though, the art is good.
    The art is really good.

We know what we want and we're only moderately unreasonable!
    HAHAHA! Yes! Exactly that! :D

They're putting the handcuffs onto themselves; The Adventures of Cyclops and Marvel Woman would sell.
    It would. It’s been ages I bought a physical copy of a comic book, but I probably would buy those.

Oh god no, not them, doctors.
    No, not the doctors either. It should be the scientists (so doctors in the sense of PhDs).

Right of course, me too...
    Totally… :P

Excellent.
    Which recipe you prefer next: the easy ice cream or the cheese risotto?

Oh for sure and I can laugh at things that weren't meant to be funny or jokes that didn't land.
    Sometimes when jokes don’t land they’re funnier than they would have been if they had landed! :D

Your parents saw your spirit animal and counted their blessings!
    And took it for granted! :P

That's what actually makes something relatable.
    Yep. More than those other gimmicks we talked about recently here: like silly humour or giving inconsequential flaws to the characters, etc…

Whatever it takes, who could blame you?
    Me. I’d blame myself. I’m my worst critic. :P

On X-Men #3, generally I thought it was okay. The fight seemed based on a thin pretext, I'm not sold on Laura/Synch, Scott's joke in the middle of battle seemed a bit off, and if I'm sick of anything it's the constant picnics.

Regarding our heroes, I liked their little back and forth at the end. And the progress with Urich will hopefully bear fruit soon, I'm very curious to see where this leads.
    The little talk and the little game was good. But it could have been the talk and the game between two old friends. There was real intimacy there and it was great to see it, but it wasn’t necessarily romantic.

Now, I’m *not* suggesting it always has to be romantic. I’m just saying it’s not as romantic as people are reading it to be. It only appears this way because we know they’re supposed to be a couple.

As for Ben… I got more worried than before.

Default Ome-Gawd Key Lime Pie

Ome-Gawd Key Lime Pie

Crust:

. 300 g flour
    . 150 g butter or margarine
    . 100 g sugar
    . 1 egg
    . 1/2 tea spoon vanilla extract
    . 1 tea spoon baking powder

Manually mix everything. Open chunks of the dough between your hands and then press it against the walls and bottom of a springform cake pan (28cm diameter). Try to keep the thickness somewhat uniform (around 4mm). There's no need to use to butter or oil on the walls, but using a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom helps moving the crust safely. Once the springform pan is covered, use a fork to puncture the dough all over so it remains nice and thin as it bakes. Bake it on low heat. It's ready when it browns and most of the dough separates from the walls. Once it cools down, place the crust on the plate where you wish to serve the pie.

Mousse:

. 2 cans condensed milk (395g each can)
    . 2 cans 20%-30% fat whipping cream (= same volume of condensed milk, you can use the condensed milk can to measure it)
    . 100 ml of lime juice

Note: If you want to add some decoration, zest the limes before you juice them.

Once the dough is ready and at room temperature, mix the condensed milk and the whipping cream in a blender and add the lime juice slowly. The acidity of the juice will make the other ingredients thicken. As soon as it does, you can stop adding the juice (or you might need some more) if you don't like the taste of the lime to be very prominent. I love it, so I try to use as much as I can (but too much of the juice will get the mousse too soft again - don't exaggerate). Spread the mouse inside the crust.

Meringue:

. 800 g sugar
    . 1 cup (=240 ml) water
    . 1 cup (=240 ml) egg whites

Note: The boiling syrup will cook the eggs and make this meringue safe, but you should make sure the eggs are fresh. Sink them on water. Fresh eggs remain on the bottom. If they float, you shouldn't consume them. If they stand up but remain on the bottom, they're still good, but it's safer to fry them.

Using a mixer, beat the egg whites until they become fluffy like a cloud. Boil the sugar and the water for 2 min. Carefully, without stopping the mixer, add the sugar syrup to the eggs. You can add a bit of vanilla extract (preferably a colourless one) or lime if you think the eggs still smell too strong. Keep the mixer on until the mixture is lukewarm. Add the meringue to the pie, decorate with the lime zest.

It’s ready but it tastes 1000% better when it's cold. Keep it in the fridge.

Bon appétit! :)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-29-2021 at 02:37 AM.

Found this on Deviant Art. Love these redesigns. Very cute.

Scott-Jean315.jpg
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Found this on Deviant Art. Love these redesigns. Very cute.

Scott-Jean315.jpg
    This is really cute indeed, MM. Thanks for sharing.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

That reinforces my point: the character internal logic was broken with no explanation. Even if weÂ’d admit somehow Scott was too enamored with what Krakoa could offer and how happy he was feeling because of that, he *should* have snapped out of it at the instance of the first attack since it became really clear that all of that could be lost in an instant of distraction.
    I agree I wish I could tell you there´s going to be an explanation for this but I don´t think there will be one, post inferno I could see Scott just acting more like he used to before Krakoa.

So this argument that “his life was so bad before and heÂ’s so happy now that heÂ’s just enjoying it” doesnÂ’t hold *any* water, when you consider who the character is and what is at stake for him!!!
    Percy is doing this exact story for Wolvie, so I think we could ask Duggan what he thinks or what´s his reasoning behind Scott still being so relaxed with so many things going bad at the same time, inferno even had a scene of him rejecting the GC role because he can´t realistically be that and also the X-men leader at the other side of the world, So that´s a beggining but then he went to have drinks with Biship, Kwanon and Magik so, one step forward, two steps back?

I donÂ’t know, LucyÂ… I donÂ’t think Scott is more relaxed than Magneto. I think they’re tense and stressed in different ways.
    Well I am curious now, why do you think so?

I agree with you rationally and that’s why I walk away from comics from time to time: because I have better stuff to do with my money and time.

In a way, my anger protects me from spending more of my resources on something that isn’t worthy of them, you know?
    I understand completely, I would just like to be able to talk with you still on the forum.

ThatÂ’s the plan. Read it, if IÂ’m not too furious and it doesnÂ’t destroy my favourites as characters, keep reading only them.
    Yes I honestly think Jean and Scott will be fine in the long run and I don´t think any of their fans should miss this next stage they are going to have.

IÂ’m not sure Gillen is a big Scott fan… Did you read it somewhere?
    Well I think he mentioned he was one back in the day during an interview but then almost all writers were Cyclops fanboys at the time and he was pretty much the protagonist of his X-men title and even worked on Sinister so Scott could have a personal nemesis as a foil, so while I am not sure what aspects of Scott he enjoys, because even between fans we can have different characteristics to like about our faves, my general impression of him is that he writes a pretty sympatethic Scott who means well even if he goes to extremes sometimes.

If he screws his liver up, they can always get him a new body. :PMaybe he had snorted some Krakoan spores. Or Dr. Nemesis had sneaked some of his special mushrooms in his food. :P
    I told you it was the lack of drinks :P

tumblr_365b4f395e13d8c5ad13abff0272d3af_52f61139_640 (2).jpg

That´s the plan and you know, my boy is kind of paranoid so I would not put it past him to do his own stuff and one thing I loved about Inferno is that it looks like we were right about the tea and the drinks, the plot thickens Now I really hope he shared a different kind of tea than the one he gave to Moira.

And it’s mutual: regardless of my headcanons, he also many reasons to be completely gaga for his red. Which is why I love them both so much as a couple.
    Yes, one of the things more cute about them is that it´s obvious how much in love they are, it just gets out of the page.

ItÂ’s not just in comic books, though. Tv series and films for instanceÂ… itÂ’s so hard to care for characters nowadays because they feel so robotic and flat.

IÂ’m watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with my partner and this weekend I was gushing about the characters. I *care* about them.
    I am no big fan of Star Trek myself but I am certainly a fan of well rounded and multidimensional characters and you are right those are becoming rare in comics and series, they could do with some more complex stories.

I understood what you meant.
    Duggan’s take on Jean is light years better than Percy’s or Hickman.
    Jean is really hard to write, so I donÂ’t judge writers too harshly for not getting all her aspects right. For instance, I love her in Red, but she didnÂ’t have any of her explosive anger. The thing is that what it gets right is so right, I like the portrayal in general, even though I see the problems.
    So IÂ’m still not judging DugganÂ’s take on her yet. IÂ’m giving him time to get the hang of her.
    Agreed and I appreciate he´s actually showing and telling that Jean is co-leader of the X-men now, I just don´t want it to come at the cost of Scott looking less of a leader that he´s always been.

Yep.We mentioned PietroÂ’s temper the other day, right? I donÂ’t want his temper to be gone. But I donÂ’t want him to be *only* his temper either. He should have matured quite a lot. He should deal with his temper in a more mature way, but it should still be there. That's nuance.
    That makes a character a character, not a caricature.
    Exactly, in Pietro´s case it was PAD the one who got the balance between his temper and his personality and relationship´s right, I love writers who manage this character balance, for example this is exactly the problem I have with Magneto on ToM, he looks like a caricature of himself and given the story has his name, it feels like a huge let down along with Lorna being written also as a trope and not her own person.

So yes please, give the characters all the nuance they need because this enriches the stories.

When the writing and the actor just click, it’s magic! (pun intended)

Agreed and it also helped I thought the same about Darrin as she did, I didn´t like him either.

Do people really buy those excuses?

Cause narrative boxes donÂ’t take space from the art, right?

I can’t, Lucy!
    Lol I just can´t think of another reason why they would stop using bubble speech, like honestly I can´t think why?

Yeah. Feats can be delicious, but I really donÂ’t need them, especially if the rest of the characterization is weak.
    Exactly, feats are great but I just enjoy feats along with an characterization are just perfection.

Not just his leadership, though. Can we have his whole personality back? Then they can "tell" me stuff and I won't complain.
    I am hopeful we will, at some point.

I appreciate your two cents more than the two million other posts think theyÂ’re offering. :P

I *think* people weren’t literal when they said Scott was turning into Magneto. But I think they used the analogy to express the general direction in which he was walking: basically getting one step away at a time from Xavier’s dream.
    I used to think this exact way until I saw images of Scott literally using Magneto´s outfit, the traditional one, for the fear itself crossover and realized how serious marvel was about linking them together, I have not been able to take that image off my mind yet and I wish I did.

Now, he was not even close to that even at the worst moments. But I think it’s fair to say he’d go there if things kept getting worse and worse. And I quite understand it, particularly, under the circumstances.
    I still think they would behave differently because their personalities are also different but yes, I could see this happening with Scott but I don´t know how he would behave, he probably would have been a lot more militant. This is also Magneto´s origin story, too many things happened and just got worse. I am actually curious to see a what if of how he would have been if at least Magda and Anya had lived, imo, that would have made a world of difference.

Romance languages have linguistic gender and it’s not about living beings only: chairs, cars, trees, buildings all have genders. It’s q quirk of the languages and while I make fun of it myself (‘cause I’m a clown), I’d *never* suggest it to change.
    Exactly I don´t think we are being perjuiced symply because we call a chair "la silla" or a paper "el periódico" it´s just the way our language works and it´s alive, like if they want to make an observation, the least they could do is learn the actual rules of the language. Romance languages come from Latin, this is why all of them are related but use and circunstance allowed them to develop differently and it´s still changing.

This is *really* beyond political correctness.
    Agreed and I am not here for that stuff.

Get any dictionary and you’ll see that words have multiple meanings. Why are we arbitrarily choosing the ones we like the most? And if it’s not arbitrary, if weÂ’re actively choosing the literal meaning and invalidating all others, how are we not making our languages poorer and less expressive?

This is not a science report that should strive to be precise, after all. Jeez!
    But even if it was a science, how can you try to change a language by imposing a term that´s not even part of that language, that doesn´t make sense.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-30-2021 at 02:33 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022