Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Some fans might love it.

Which will make me beg Ziggy (again) to take me back home.
    Things like that are narrative empty calories.

I know that you can’t really do something like that with films, but I’d still like the X-Men in the MCU to start with the O5. Though, I don’t know, lately… *sigh* I don’t even know if I want them in the MCU now.
    Nothing since (and including) Endgame has excited me regarding the MCU. Maybe the X-Men can change that, but I'm not sure - and if they adapt Krakoa to start, I definitely won't be on board.

Such behaviour selects and limits the voices in a community like this.
    And it's everywhere to varying degrees.

I don’t hate Batman. I just don’t really get his appeal.

I get Logan’s appeal. I think he’s a really interesting character when he’s well-written. He’s just not one of my favourites.

I do agree about the overexposure. I hope Logan’s event doesn’t mean we’ll start seeing him everywhere again. His not being in the flagship for a change feels great.
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder after all.

As far as Batman's appeal, I think it overlaps with many street-level heroes; Batman has his flavor, but he's mostly a guy using tools and his own skills to fight bad guys. I like Batman, Nightwing, Daredevil, and they all have that specific appeal in common.

Yep. But I don’t know. There’s something weird going on with the numbers. It’s making me a bit apprehensive. I have the feeling we’re missing something important in this post-vaccination picture.
    Information is always held back right? I guess it depends on what that is specifically.

I’m telling you: these conversations I have with you and TheDeadSpace (and occasionally Gray), get spooky sometimes.

Hopefully, it’s a trend she’ll get tired of, though. Over here it’s the other way around. When I prepare something, mum usually annoys me to take a picture and send it to her. Even when she’s here she wants me to take pictures of it.

I could understand if it was a decorated cake, but sometimes it’s just a pie or worse: a main dish like chicken cacciatore or something that looks like this, if you dress it up:

It drives me crazy: “Mum. It’s chicken. Floating in sauce.” I complain, but I take the damn picture for her anyway.
    Hey, that looks good! I can make breakfast, and some steak meals. That's pretty much it.

I ask my mom "isn't it enough that we find your food delicious?".

Not really. It’s been mostly those kids doing their stupid experiments and Dani trying to help Xi’an and Rahne. Occasionally Illyana and/or James (Warpath) appear training the kids.

She’ll probably be appearing more in the future issues, though.
    They lost me, and I don't think I'm coming back.

English doesn’t have a good word to express it. I *think* in Spanish it would be “sencillez”. Does it make sense to you?

When you say “simple” in English, it normally comes with a negative connotation. I’m talking about the kind of simplicity that is pure and delicate. That is true and deep.

You know what I mean?

By the way: do you speak Spanish and if so, are you fluent?
    I get what you're saying and it's why I've taken to using "clean" or "straightforward" instead of simple.

I do speak Spanish, but I think I'm a step below fluent because only my immediate family speaks Spanish, all of my friends are English-speaking only. I don't get many opportunities to practice, but I'd be able to get around if I woke up in Spain or Mexico tomorrow.

Yes! A good romance, when it fits the story, can make any genre better. Even comedy!

Who doesn’t love Gomez and Morticia?

I tend not to like romantic “comedies”, though.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if there's any romantic comedies that I like. As far as organic romance in a larger story, its not the best example, but I always think of Fullmetal Alchemist; there's romance there, it's not the focus, but it's well written.

Yes! We don’t need to relate to every character. Just write the damn character with depth and let people they speak to relate to them.

And yes: humour when it comes to villains can be really tricky. In the comics, I miss the serious portrayals of Sinister...
    How strong do you think the antagonists have been in this era?

It must be that testosterone in your fabric default.
    Haha, must be. Funny story: My roommate (we'll call him Tobi) and I were playing Mortal Kombat and I was on such a malicious winning streak, it was just funny to us. By the time we got to the twentieth round I was juggling him in a combo and he said "if I could just get a word in edgewise" - I swear I almost died of laughter. Tobi's a good sport, he knew I wasn't bullying him.

I actually love punching and kicking for fitness purposes. When I move to a bigger house, I’ll get one of those training dummies.
    My friends are always trying to spar... I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Is it a little funny? I can’t tell. I don’t normally hold grudges, but when I do…
    Maybe it's only funny to me because I wasn't as attached to the series?

Yeah. It's funny to look back and see the stuff that was so important to us become endearingly meaningless.
    I don't remember why, but my sister once hit me in the head with a piece of coconut. Kids, huh?

Well, she wasn’t working with the UN in Red. She was just petitioning, right? It’s different.

Jean has been mostly a private person, but the media/politicians seem to love her, which makes total sense:

I know this has a high potential to become a boring story, but you don’t need to make it about the work itself.

People see/call her weak because she’s very feminine. There is a tendency (and it’s not just related to sexism) to identify the characteristics an oppressed group share as weakness. Before women could work and have their financial independence they were, by definition, dependent and powerless, right? Most females leads nowadays are portrayed as super powerful and capable of dealing with every threat on their own. But in reality, it’s very common for women to prefer to cooperate. And that’s not a bad thing and it doesn’t means they can’t function on their own, you know?
    I'll never watch that live-action mistake.

Competence and character-strength shouldn't be judged by physical strength or how "badass" a character is.

Personally, I would make Jean both an author and a rights advocate, and Scott would be a military/security consultant

Playing on PC is just more convenient for us nowadays.
    Yeah, I get that.

I’ve had some really great teachers too. One of them is very special to my brother and I.
    I can't say I've stayed in contact with any of my teachers, but some of them were fantastic.

Yeah. But judging by the last F1 race…
    Did something happen?

Yes! It can make us slave to it and distort our perspective of important stuff in life as well. But, in itself, it is wonderful.
    It's real easy for people to fall into a technological pit, it's why I try to engage my nieces and nephew in outdoor activities or arts and crafts.

Judging by the size of my messages and the fact you didn’t tell/ask/beg me to cut it short yet? I’d say so!
    Well, I am an avid reader, right?

I love jokes! Don’t be shy!
    I uh, don't have much material unfortunately.

It seems so. But I don’t get it, really. If it’s inevitable and it’s only going to get worse, address the stuff as soon as possible. I don’t like confrontations either, but I choose for the lesser of the two uncomfortable/difficult situations.

It reminds me of something somewhat similar that happened last week. Everyone was just letting their hearts make all the decisions and I had to step in and act like a cold-hearted she-dog. I’m telling you: Scott is my spirit animal.

Mr. Spock, since Ziggy won’t come pick me up, would you please take me to Vulcan instead?
    It's definitely the right approach, I just don't see many people taking it. I can sympathize, I've had to do the same before.

I agree. Mulder was only partially right: yes, the truth is out there. But it’s also spread in tiny pieces all over the place.

Dead lord, I’m disgusting myself with my nerd-ness today.
    Wear it with pride, you earned it!
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Things like that are narrative empty calories.
    Yeah. My brain needs more. It’s an old model. Energy label D, according to the EU. :P

Nothing since (and including) Endgame has excited me regarding the MCU. Maybe the X-Men can change that, but I'm not sure - and if they adapt Krakoa to start, I definitely won't be on board.
    Ugh… Please, don’t… I can barely stomach it in the universe that matters.

And it's everywhere to varying degrees.
    Most unfortunately. I like reading about different perspectives.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder after all.

As far as Batman's appeal, I think it overlaps with many street-level heroes; Batman has his flavor, but he's mostly a guy using tools and his own skills to fight bad guys. I like Batman, Nightwing, Daredevil, and they all have that specific appeal in common.
    But Matt is admirable, interesting and adorable in his civilian life. His super-hero origin is a heroic act in itself!

I’ll stop before I spend 3000 characters on how much I love him. :P

Information is always held back right? I guess it depends on what that is specifically.
    I’m not sure if it’s being held back. I think it’s worse: we really aren’t understanding what is going on.

Hey, that looks good! I can make breakfast, and some steak meals. That's pretty much it.

I ask my mom "isn't it enough that we find your food delicious?".
    It looks good because they decorated it. Do you think I do that? :P

I think, to my mum, pictures of what I cook is the equivalent of bringing a piece of “art” from school, you know?

Yeah, I’m a bit too old for that. But mums will me mums. Let yours take her pictures and hope this trend will pass. :)

They lost me, and I don't think I'm coming back.
    After last issue, I don’t think I’m coming back either. It actually made me take a step away from the *whole* line.

I get what you're saying and it's why I've taken to using "clean" or "straightforward" instead of simple.

I do speak Spanish, but I think I'm a step below fluent because only my immediate family speaks Spanish, all of my friends are English-speaking only. I don't get many opportunities to practice, but I'd be able to get around if I woke up in Spain or Mexico tomorrow.
    But “clean” and “straightforward” doesn't work on this case, because they don't express the poetry of something simple, but beautiful.

Like an Ikebana, I suppose:

You know what I mean?

I asked about Spanish because of the discussion that was going on in this thread:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-change-*them*

Su talked about Kurt’s Romani upbringing and it made me think of languages.

I believe that you can only reach a certain level of fluency on another language (that isn’t super close to your native) when you learn to actually think differently.

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's any romantic comedies that I like. As far as organic romance in a larger story, its not the best example, but I always think of Fullmetal Alchemist; there's romance there, it's not the focus, but it's well written.
    I have to watch that.

Have you watched “Up” or “Wall-e”? Mmm… lately, it seems the best couples exist in movies children can watch. Interesting…

How strong do you think the antagonists have been in this era?
    I think when you have trouble remembering who they are and why they are antagonists - which was what happened when I thought of how to answer you - it's a bad sign. Let's see...

Excalibur - Morgan hasn’t done anything in ages. The human witches manages to get Britain out of the deal with Krakoa. Saturnine seems to be an ally now... All very lukewarm.
    Marauders - Verendi and the kiddy Hellfire caused some trouble, but nothing menacing. The rest was internal struggle.
    Hellions - Madelyne was a joke. Then it’s basically Sinister’s shenanigans and now that Arako Omega mutant that I couldn’t care less about. What if he kills the whole team out of revenge? They’ll just be resurrected.
    X-Corp - That weak group, whoever they are. They might ruin one of the many business that finance Krakoa. Wow! Imagine that!
    X-Factor - Mojo appeared a little bit, but nothing threatening. That goddess of death that I forgot the name was defeated off-pannel.
    X-Force - The peacock guy ‘caused some trouble and now apparently the Russian mutants will take care of him. The rest was Beast’s mess. So… we’re maybe building for something here, 24 issues in.
    Hickman’s X-Men - Lots of plots, nothing serious (literally: Hordeculture). And Orchis. That has been painted as this super threatening thing for 2 years, but it’s mostly the mutants attacking them.
    Duggan’s X-Men - Too soon to tell.
    Way of X - Onslaught, due to Orchis. Supposedly, it could have put that whole society down, but it is going to be dealt with in one issue. Not easy to sell the threat when we’ve been two years in this society.
    Wolverine - A bunch of different stories, pretty much connected to X-Force. And now Solem, who seems like a pretty standard Wolverine villain.

I think it’s fair to say they’ve been objectively very weak.

Haha, must be. Funny story: My roommate (we'll call him Tobi) and I were playing Mortal Kombat and I was on such a malicious winning streak, it was just funny to us. By the time we got to the twentieth round I was juggling him in a combo and he said "if I could just get a word in edgewise" - I swear I almost died of laughter. Tobi's a good sport, he knew I wasn't bullying him.
    Were you going for fatalities and brutalities too? :D

Speaking of your roommate, it reminds me: in case you’re interested, the current Sumo championship started on Sunday. Hakuho, unfortunately, can’t fight because of COVID on his stable.

My friends are always trying to spar... I'm not sure I'm ready for that.
    I’d love to know any martial art enough to be able to do that. But I’d be afraid of hurting my friends.

Maybe it's only funny to me because I wasn't as attached to the series?
    I’m not either. But I just get really upset that not only the fans fix their buggy game and improve it for free, those guys wanted to charge for their work!

I don't remember why, but my sister once hit me in the head with a piece of coconut. Kids, huh?
    I have a small scar on my nose because my brother accidentally swung a barbecue stick on it. I’m not talking about a little wooden stick. I’m talking about a long, metal one that looks like a sort of sword.

I'll never watch that live-action mistake.

Competence and character-strength shouldn't be judged by physical strength or how "badass" a character is.

Personally, I would make Jean both an author and a rights advocate, and Scott would be a military/security consultant
    Rights advocate would work better if Jean was a lawyer. I wouldn’t oppose that either. :)

They could also just open a day care together, since Marvel will not allow them to have their own kids and they seem to like raising them so much. :P

Scott would do great as such consultant, but I’m not sure if he’d enjoy doing it without a cause, you know? I think he would actually love fixing old engines all day, though.

Those are some of the instances I can remember, on the top of my head, but I’m sure there are others:

He seems to really enjoy building/fixing stuff or, at least, it relaxes him when he’s feeling stressed. It makes total sense if you think of his personality.

After I posted about it, I remembered about something else Scott could do too. But I didn’t write it down and now it’s gone again. I’ll let you know if I remember about it.

I can't say I've stayed in contact with any of my teachers, but some of them were fantastic.
    My brother kept in contact with some of them, because he taught at the school where we studied while he was doing his masters.

Did something happen?
    The race was packed and no one was using a mask because it’s only required inside public transport.

It's real easy for people to fall into a technological pit, it's why I try to engage my nieces and nephew in outdoor activities or arts and crafts.
    That’s great. Their generation is so susceptible to being sucked into that technological pit. They’re not the only ones, of course, but they never knew a different world where people weren’t constantly looking into their little screens.

Well, I am an avid reader, right?

Evidently so! :D

That really made me laugh when I read it. Thank you. :)

You’re an avid reader, but you're also very kind. :)

I uh, don't have much material unfortunately.
    That’s not a bad thing, actually. My jelly makes jokes out of thin air. Needless to say, they’re *not* good ones! :P

It's definitely the right approach, I just don't see many people taking it. I can sympathize, I've had to do the same before.
    I may have to do it again soon. It’s really tiring. I don’t like to act that way, but if I don’t, they let things get really bad and I still have to deal with the mess. From across the Atlantic! I kid you not…

Wear it with pride, you earned it!
    Did I? I just told you I haven’t watched Fullmetal Alchemist. :P
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-13-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Yeah. My brain needs more. It’s an old model. Energy label D, according to the EU.
    Sometimes I want narrative junk food, but not all the time you know?

Ugh… Please, don’t… I can barely stomach it in the universe that matters.
    Maybe they won't, but they've made Uncle Ben persona non grata in the "Spider-Man" films, so they might choose to not retread stories covered by the FoX-Men films = jump to Krakoa.

Most unfortunately. I like reading about different perspectives.
    Those are the best conversations, they can give you new appreciation for things.

But Matt is admirable, interesting and adorable in his civilian life. His super-hero origin is a heroic act in itself!

I’ll stop before I spend 3000 characters on how much I love him.
    For me the difference in origin between the two is Matt's is a positive choice Bruce's is a tragedy. Some people are drawn to the tragedy of Batman, and while Daredevil has certainly suffered, he made a heroic choice on his own; he's that man even without externalities.

I’m not sure if it’s being held back. I think it’s worse: we really aren’t understanding what is going on.
    Oh, well that's much worse.

It looks good because they decorated it. Do you think I do that?

I think, to my mum, pictures of what I cook is the equivalent of bringing a piece of “art” from school, you know?

Yeah, I’m a bit too old for that. But mums will me mums. Let yours take her pictures and hope this trend will pass.
    Haha, I never thought of it that way. I don't think this'll pass, she's more involved with social media and trends than I am. I'll just enjoying her cooking.

After last issue, I don’t think I’m coming back either. It actually made me take a step away from the *whole* line.
    Ah, you aren't picking up any X-Books? Or Marvel books? The only Marvel book I'm picking up is X-Men.

But “clean” and “straightforward” doesn't work on this case, because they don't express the poetry of something simple, but beautiful.

Like an Ikebana, I suppose:

You know what I mean?

I asked about Spanish because of the discussion that was going on in this thread:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-change-*them*

Su talked about Kurt’s Romani upbringing and it made me think of languages.

I believe that you can only reach a certain level of fluency on another language (that isn’t super close to your native) when you learn to actually think differently.
    That's a good point, I'm aware of terms that don't translate well in other languages, and that they can truly effect how you think.

I have to watch that.

Have you watched “Up” or “Wall-e”? Mmm… lately, it seems the best couples exist in movies children can watch. Interesting…
    It's probably my favorite animated series, on objective and subjective terms.

Maybe it's a case of less is more with children's films/shows? Have you ever watched Avatar The Last Airbender? It's an animated series and while romance is actually probably its weakest link, it does take other themes that would be considered adult-oriented and despite ostensibly being a children's show does it better than a lot of "adult" programs.

I think when you have trouble remembering who they are and why they are antagonists - which was what happened when I thought of how to answer you - it's a bad sign. Let's see...

Excalibur - Morgan hasn’t done anything in ages. The human witches manages to get Britain out of the deal with Krakoa. Saturnine seems to be an ally now... All very lukewarm.
    Marauders - Verendi and the kiddy Hellfire caused some trouble, but nothing menacing. The rest was internal struggle.
    Hellions - Madelyne was a joke. Then it’s basically Sinister’s shenanigans and now that Arako Omega mutant that I couldn’t care less about. What if he kills the whole team out of revenge? They’ll just be resurrected.
    X-Corp - That weak group, whoever they are. They might ruin one of the many business that finance Krakoa. Wow! Imagine that!
    X-Factor - Mojo appeared a little bit, but nothing threatening. That goddess of death that I forgot the name was defeated off-pannel.
    X-Force - The peacock guy ‘caused some trouble and now apparently the Russian mutants will take care of him. The rest was Beast’s mess. So… we’re maybe building for something here, 24 issues in.
    Hickman’s X-Men - Lots of plots, nothing serious (literally: Hordeculture). And Orchis. That has been painted as this super threatening thing for 2 years, but it’s mostly the mutants attacking them.
    Duggan’s X-Men - Too soon to tell.
    Way of X - Onslaught, due to Orchis. Supposedly, it could have put that whole society down, but it is going to be dealt with in one issue. Not easy to sell the threat when we’ve been two years in this society.
    Wolverine - A bunch of different stories, pretty much connected to X-Force. And now Solem, who seems like a pretty standard Wolverine villain.

I think it’s fair to say they’ve been objectively very weak.
    Yikes, not good. Has anything actually happened in the X-Books lately?

Were you going for fatalities and brutalities too?

Speaking of your roommate, it reminds me: in case you’re interested, the current Sumo championship started on Sunday. Hakuho, unfortunately, can’t fight because of COVID on his stable.
    Haha, I earned those fatalities.

I think he actually mentioned it to me, we might watch some this weekend.

I’d love to know any martial art enough to be able to do that. But I’d be afraid of hurting my friends.
    Hey, they'll get it if they ask for it, that's what I think — but first I gotta grind for EXP, boost my STR and DEF stats.

I’m not either. But I just get really upset that not only the fans fix their buggy game and improve it for free, those guys wanted to charge for their work!
    It's shameful. If not for those fans, their most recent games wouldn't be playable.

I have a small scar on my nose because my brother accidentally swung a barbecue stick on it. I’m not talking about a little wooden stick. I’m talking about a long, metal one that looks like a sort of sword.
    Yikes. It's not all bad, I have a couple of scars from keeping my siblings safe and out of trouble.

Rights advocate would work better if Jean was a lawyer. I wouldn’t oppose that either.

They could also just open a day care together, since Marvel will not allow them to have their own kids and they seem to like raising them so much.

Scott would do great as such consultant, but I’m not sure if he’d enjoy doing it without a cause, you know? I think he would actually love fixing old engines all day, though.

Those are some of the instances I can remember, on the top of my head, but I’m sure there are others:

He seems to really enjoy building/fixing stuff or, at least, it relaxes him when he’s feeling stressed. It makes total sense if you think of his personality.

After I posted about it, I remembered about something else Scott could do too. But I didn’t write it down and now it’s gone again. I’ll let you know if I remember about it.
    Jean would make a good lawyer, colleagues with Matt? I do think Scott would enjoy handiwork, but maybe more as a hobby? How would Scott fare as a reporter or a detective?

My brother kept in contact with some of them, because he taught at the school where we studied while he was doing his masters.
    Ah, one of my teachers thought I could make a decent teacher, but I didn't have a passion for it. I really enjoy my tradework, I can see the tangible progress I make.

The race was packed and no one was using a mask because it’s only required inside public transport.
    Yikes, and I bet there was a spike?

That’s great. Their generation is so susceptible to being sucked into that technological pit. They’re not the only ones, of course, but they never knew a different world where people weren’t constantly looking into their little screens.
    Definitely. I mean, they adapt to it so quickly, it's second nature to them. Meanwhile, nature is actually waiting for them outside.

Evidently so!

That really made me laugh when I read it. Thank you.

You’re an avid reader, but you're also very kind.
    Haha, thank you, I try.

That’s not a bad thing, actually. My jelly makes jokes out of thin air. Needless to say, they’re *not* good ones!
    I make jokes in person all of the time that don't land, but every once in a while I'm on fire. I never have a pen and paper in those instances unfortunately.

I may have to do it again soon. It’s really tiring. I don’t like to act that way, but if I don’t, they let things get really bad and I still have to deal with the mess. From across the Atlantic! I kid you not…
    As the eldest this has basically been my responsibility as far as I can remember.

Did I? I just told you I haven’t watched Fullmetal Alchemist.
    I almost forgot, make sure you watch the one subtitled "Brotherhood". It closely adapts the source material, the series simply titled "Fullmetal Alchemist", while not bad, makes vastly different character and worldbuilding decisions.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Sometimes I want narrative junk food, but not all the time you know
    Yeah, sure. But junk is not the same as trash, right?

Maybe they won't, but they've made Uncle Ben persona non grata in the "Spider-Man" films, so they might choose to not retread stories covered by the FoX-Men films = jump to Krakoa.
    Ugh… Then I’m definitely keeping my money.

Those are the best conversations, they can give you new appreciation for things.
    But even when they don’t… they force you to challenge/review your perspectives and that’s important. Otherwise you become mentally stagnant.

For me the difference in origin between the two is Matt's is a positive choice Bruce's is a tragedy. Some people are drawn to the tragedy of Batman, and while Daredevil has certainly suffered, he made a heroic choice on his own; he's that man even without externalities.
    Which is why I love Matt Murdock! :)

Oh, well that's much worse.
    Yeah… I mean, sure: whatever is happening, the hospitalizations are manageable. But the problem is the number of new infections. We lost the grip on that. And the danger is that the virus doesn’t need to cause symptoms to mutate. Who knows what’s the new variant we’re cooking by *refusing* to take this pandemic seriously and go for an eradication approach?

Haha, I never thought of it that way. I don't think this'll pass, she's more involved with social media and trends than I am. I'll just enjoying her cooking.
    Seems like a good strategy. :D

Ah, you aren't picking up any X-Books? Or Marvel books? The only Marvel book I'm picking up is X-Men.
    I’m only reading X-office stuff nowadays, but I’m so close to just dropping everything. It’s not just that I’m exhausted of the current BS and their lack of respect for their own era continuity. I just don’t see the point because nothing in the future seems to indicate it’s going to get better.

I’m not sure I’ll be around for the Wolverine event… I mean, do I want to see that train wreck? What are the chances Percy is going to leave Scott and Jean alone? What are the chances his portrayal of any of them won’t aggravate me to no end?

That's a good point, I'm aware of terms that don't translate well in other languages, and that they can truly effect how you think.
    It’s even more than that. Languages have different structures.

(For instance, does Spanish have the actual Present Perfect tense?)

You have to learn how navigate them so you can express yourself. Take the verb “get”, in English. Think of how many different uses (not just meaning) it has.

I get you - understand
    I’ve got your back - support
    I’ll get you some water - retrieve
    You don’t get to do that - allow
    I’ve got a flu - contracted
    She’s got three candies - have

And that’s not even talking about the multi-phrasal verbs (get out, get in, get away, get down, get up, etc…)

It's probably my favorite animated series, on objective and subjective terms.
    So many people praise it. I really have to watch it.

Maybe it's a case of less is more with children's films/shows? Have you ever watched Avatar The Last Airbender? It's an animated series and while romance is actually probably its weakest link, it does take other themes that would be considered adult-oriented and despite ostensibly being a children's show does it better than a lot of "adult" programs.
    I think children’s animations are allowed to have “heart”, to be pure and, most especially, they’re allowed not to be cynical. That’s the difference.

After all, you can’t sell the idea of true love if you approach it through a cynical perspective. And if a person hears that and thinks “well, it’s because true love doesn’t exist”, then it becomes self-explanatory why its portrayal doesn’t work, right?

Yikes, not good. Has anything actually happened in the X-Books lately?
    Nope. It's like the Hellfire Gala completely disrupted everything. They call this “style” decompressed. I call it bad pacing.

Haha, I earned those fatalities.

I think he actually mentioned it to me, we might watch some this weekend.
    It’s been too easy for Bandages (Terunofuji). :P

Hey, they'll get it if they ask for it, that's what I think — but first I gotta grind for EXP, boost my STR and DEF stats.
    How do we grind XP in the real world? We can’t just go kill rats in the sewers, right? :D

It's shameful. If not for those fans, their most recent games wouldn't be playable.
    That’s what really annoys me.

Yikes. It's not all bad, I have a couple of scars from keeping my siblings safe and out of trouble.
    I used to have one scar for keeping a blind dog from touching a hot oven. But I’m so old even that scar has faded The one of my nose will be with me forever, though.

Jean would make a good lawyer, colleagues with Matt?
    Sure. Jean can “work” with that:

:P

Seriously? I’d *love* them as a couple. The problem is that their power levels couldn’t be more different so, basically, she’d ruin his book. :D

I honestly think they’d be great friends, though. I can see Jean being *the* person who stops Matt from doing the stupid stuff he normally does. And I can see his being the person who is totally okay with the craziness of her life because of his faith, to a point even the other X-Men aren’t.

Jokes aside, while having them work together as lawyers would be really cool, I don’t think Jean would want to work as a trial lawyer because she’s a telepath and she'd know any of her trials would be appealed and overturned over and over again. Since criminal law is what Matt mostly does (though he works with civil suits too), I don’t think they’d be working together full time. So, at most, he could use his legal kung-fun to help her set a good strategy.

So back to her actual partner (the one I *want* her to be with)…

I do think Scott would enjoy handiwork, but maybe more as a hobby?
    Why? Why can’t he have fun *and* be paid to do it? Let Jean make the big bucks. :D

(Or do you think he’s a very ambitious guy and he wouldn’t be happy?)

They don’t even need much, anyway. Remember they’re not allowed to have their own kids? And they can't leave what they build for the kids they have? What's the point of making more money than they need to pay their bills?

How would Scott fare as a reporter or a detective?
    Not very well. He doesn’t have the best people’s skills, does he?

And if going to university for a new degree is an option, he’d be an awesome judge, though. Most especially in appeals courts.

Ah, one of my teachers thought I could make a decent teacher, but I didn't have a passion for it. I really enjoy my tradework, I can see the tangible progress I make.
    Why doesn’t that surprise me that you’d like that sort of thing?

Yikes, and I bet there was a spike?
    Nope. The virus is still circulating, but the number of new infections have somewhat plateaued. I’m telling you, it’s super weird. Just the effect of the vaccines doesn’t explain it.

Definitely. I mean, they adapt to it so quickly, it's second nature to them. Meanwhile, nature is actually waiting for them outside.
    Yeah. It’s really hard for everyone. Are they back to school?

Haha, thank you, I try.
    You succeed. And you’re welcome. :)

I make jokes in person all of the time that don't land, but every once in a while I'm on fire. I never have a pen and paper in those instances unfortunately.
    Isn’t because people don’t get your jokes?

So my jokes are bad. But it’s actually worse than that: most of them require a certain wavelength for people to even recognize them as a joke. Others are just very silly and those are the ones that usually land.

So we graduated to Star Trek: The Next Generation now. My partner doesn’t really like Piccard, but he’s a sweetheart and he’s watching it to make me happy. Anyway, he asked me the other day: “So you want to watch some Captain Bald?”

And I replied with my best, solemn voice: “to baldly go where no one has gone before!” :D I might have said: “no man has gone before” because I was still stuck in the 60s series and he always skips the intro. :P But anyway, that’s an example of a silly joke people - well, nerds - would get.

It’s impressive how fast my jelly can be when it’s about coming up with those silly stuff. If only it’d work as fast for more important things… :D

As the eldest this has basically been my responsibility as far as I can remember.
    Well, I’m the youngest. So WTH! :D

I almost forgot, make sure you watch the one subtitled "Brotherhood". It closely adapts the source material, the series simply titled "Fullmetal Alchemist", while not bad, makes vastly different character and worldbuilding decisions.
    Will do. Thanks for the tip. :)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-17-2021 at 12:34 AM.

Cyclops and Jean Grey by Adriano Oliveira.jpg

Found this recently. It's by Adriano Oliveira. I couldn't find a colored version, but I'll post one as soon as I find one.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Cyclops and Jean Grey by Adriano Oliveira.jpg

Found this recently. It's by Adriano Oliveira. I couldn't find a colored version, but I'll post one as soon as I find one. :o
    Gorgeous! I love those depictions in which it looks like they're both embracing and dancing. It's so them! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing, MarvelMaster616. :)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Well, if this is a variant cover, I'm definitely getting one.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

They look great there indeed
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Well, this is a rather nice variant. Thanks for the post.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

This is so... *sigh*

Now, guys, come on: fight holding hands inside the book too so I can open that damn bottle of champagne! :D

I hope it's not a variant so I can get it too!

Thanks a lot for sharing, Lucy! :)

This is so... *sigh*

Now, guys, come on: fight holding hands inside the book too so I can open that damn bottle of champagne!

I hope it's not a variant so I can get it too!

Thanks a lot for sharing, Lucy!
    Welcome Grinning Soul and maybe you should share that champagne with them so they will also hold hands in the book

Welcome Grinning Soul and maybe you should share that champagne with them so they will also hold hands in the book
    I think heroes should be sober most of the times, but if I could, I'd feed Duggan champagne instead, every time he writes them as the couple they used to be! :P

You go ahead and enjoy the champagne. I'll stick to a nice bottle Jack Daniels. Seeing covers like this makes it taste that much sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    You go ahead and enjoy the champagne. I'll stick to a nice bottle Jack Daniels. Seeing covers like this makes it taste that much sweeter. :o
    Covers are nice, but what matters is the content of the book. My champagne stays in the fridge for now until I see some actual Scott&Jean yumminess that will be canon for this Krakoa mess. :D

If I can bring my gin, I'll join you with your Jack Daniels and we drink to the cover, though. :D