Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I think current writers ignore it (if it still exists) or have completely written it out simply because it's no longer as important or relevant to these two characters today, as it was back in the 80's.

But I could be wrong...Duggan could surprise us with a PR moment now that they're actively working on the same team, in the same book. Either way...I'm good.
    Me too, actually. I can be happy, for different reasons, for them to have that rapport back or not.

--

@Placid Mule: Thanks for sharing one of those mid-tk-flight kisses. This might be my favourite even though the art is weird. But I love everything about it!

I'll try to share the one in the Central Park later. :)

--

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Thanks, I'll add it to the list.
    Sorry, I forgot to tell you. It's the volume 2 of the X-Men '92. It was published after the Secret Wars thing, but it's still the same premise, I guess.

It's not that great of an issue, though. So I wouldn't hurry. :)

I have personal issues with how relaxed Marvel is with the use of telepathy, I think it's more dangerous and corrupting than they portray it as and they've made it much too powerful...
    Yep and yep. I have a friend who would love to have this power. I told him many times: "I'd hate it. I'd feel constantly tempted and constantly reprimanding myself not to abuse this power".

And I certainly do feel super annoyed by its use in comics from time to time.

I even used to have trouble with the Rapport between Jott, but understanding it as a bridge and not a one-way tunnel makes me appreciate it more.
    Again: not canon. Just my interpretation of it.

I'd say it's actually more than a bridge. It's like two houses to which you build an extention in between, forming a bigger new house. The original houses are still there, but they're fully connected now.

No matter how you see it, I'd say it's always been a two-way street. If Jean wanted to have it as a one-way tunnel, she wouldn't need it the rapport at all. I think it was always about having an extra level of intimacy.

But I don't suppose that means they read each other's thoughts all the time. I think the best equivalent to real life would be when you're in the same room with someone. You're kinda aware of them even if you're not interacting. So if they become distressed or they call you, you can immediately answer, you know? You can hear if they're typing or clicking their mouse, you hear if their humming a song or they're cursing... things like that.

And you can always leave the room too, retreat to the part of your mind that is just yours [EDIT: although, if your partner needs you, then can easily reach you - that means Scott could do it too, even though he's not a telepath]. Or you can fully engage in conversations, games, telepathic/imaginary projections, etc... Literally, with two minds fused like that, their imagination is the limit to what they can create and experience together.

And I suppose that's why Jean was able to create so much stuff (like the black box) to protect Scott's mind.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-29-2021 at 12:52 PM.