Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Don't forget Doctor number 3. That's where the Master first shows up, and if Scott needs one thing outside of consistent characterization, it's a personal nemesis on his own level, that he can defeat without needing the X-Men to do anything outside of running interference on the guy's minions.
    I can't pick just one, it's just that those three would work great I think. Of course, we could just have all of them, this is a dream world and we have all of the power.

Cyclops versus the Master? Yes please.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This week's XM 02 showed how well Scott and Jean can co-lead a team. Taking personal initiatives but mindful of the shared goal and directive. It seemed pretty...seemless.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    This week's XM 02 showed how well Scott and Jean can co-lead a team. Taking personal initiatives but mindful of the shared goal and directive. It seemed pretty...seemless.
    It was cool. The art was supperb again.

spoilers:
    I wish Scott had gotten a bit more panel time, but he even got to bark some orders. It seems this issue was supposed to be more focused on Shiro and Jean appeared more because her power was needed for the team to find out more about the threat. I'm happy Shiro got a bit of the attention, though I didn't feel super excited about it. I'm also glad Duggan had Ev and Jean mentioning his time in the Vault. I hope to see more of it.
    end of spoilers

Overall, I wasn't as happy about it when comparing to issue #1, but it might be because I'm a bit down. I don't feel I can really judge the issue fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The forums can be finicky.
    I wished there was a way to keep myself logged in longer. For the rest, I found a workaround. But yeah: it can be annoying. :(

Oh, haha, that's still pretty funny, but I get what you mean.
    I’m happy you do. Dark humour can be dangerous. Better used with caution. :)

He exerts control however he can over his uncontrollable power.
    Exactly. How do you feel about his being able to actually stop the beams, though?

I have the trade, but I don't think I've read it. It's one of many books in the ever-growing mountain of TO BE READ.
    It’s a cool story, but not really a must-read anyway.

Speaking of those, did you read Marvel’s Snapshots: X-Men?

I guess I was just thinking about it in a general sense.
    Mea culpa, my friend. :)

Probably not confirm it, but I wonder if that only increased his interest? That reminds me that he used to scare me when I originally watched the X-Men Animated Series as a kid.
    Well, he’s a scientist so I guess it must have! :)

He looked like an evil vampire in the cartoon. Your kid-self had reason to be scared! :)

Oh yeah, the Karate Kid is a good one too. There's a sequel show, but I haven't watched it yet.
    On Netflix, right? I probably won’t watch it either.

My dad and my brothers and I loved watching Jackie Chan movies together, that definitely helped me appreciate them more. It also goes to show that excellent entertainment has no barriers, my dad can barely speak English let alone Cantonese but that didn't stop him from enjoying them. Personal favorites include Rumble in the Bronx, Police Story, Drunken Master, and Wheels on Meals.
    Those are his older movies. Funny that I didn’t get to watch those as a kid. I guess they weren’t popular in my country.

What genres do you suppose Scott and Jean prefer?
    I think both of them love a good detective/mystery/espionage/thriller story. I think they can re-watch Monty Phyton ad infinitum. I think they like weird comedies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show and smart-but-silly ones like Idiocracy. And some fantasy/science fiction/period/cyber punk stuff (including some animation films). I think both of them enjoy documentaries too.

Jean loves both sappy movies (like Love Story and The Notebook) and dark, twisted, psychological dramas (like Spider and Antichrist). The later being a bit harder on Scott’s stomach than hers because she’s too intrigued/fascinated to be revolted. Like I said before, I think Jean is a curious person so she loves watching international films as well.

Scott likes some war movies and westerns. And he tends to enjoy political dramas. I think he also likes some legal dramas, especially when it’s based on real cases.

Both of them are intelligent people, so I think they can easily handle each other’s tastes even when it’s not their favourite.

I can see them spending a weekend on marathons of films by a certain director like Hitchcock or Kubrick, whole sequel of films (like the Godfather), or just classics that can be grouped together by themes. I think planing the marathon is part of the fun for them.

I know it might seem boring, but I honestly think this is part of their intellectual attraction to each other.

Excellent strategy, especially because I'm sure it's in good fun.
    Oh, yeah. It’s mostly teasing. :)

I'm no germ-a-phobe, but I'm close. I don't like picking up after others but I dislike mess even more.
    You’ll probably prefer a female dog, then. :)

It served admirably. We salute you!
    Rest in peace (or pieces). :D

Oh yeah, videogames too. I prefer role-playing and strategy games, but action-adventure is good too.
    Me too. But turn-based strategy. I like to think. Real time overwhelms me. :P

Who is? I mean, aren't we comics readers degenerates? :p

I can relate - I can't imagine what life would be like deprived of music. Of most art actually.
    Hey, can’t you tell by now I have an over-active imagination? Don’t make me imagine that, you meanie. :P

It's neat. What's more neat, I can't lucid dream, but occasionally I become aware that I'm dreaming.
    I have news for you: that’s lucid dreaming, mister. Next time you realise you’re dreaming, try taking control over your actions. Try flying. Those are the best dreams. :)

I can't really place a voice or face from actors/actresses that I know for Scott or Jean. I've had cast ideas before, but they're never definitive for me.
    The audio quality is not that great, but here is she speaking in a less crazy interview. :)

She’s well-spoken and smart and engaging. Her tone is elegant, soothing, sweet and delicate, but can very easily turn lively. Also, her voice is a little raspy. It's very similar to how I imagine Jean should sound and I'd put whatever actress who will play her in the MCU to watch these videos.

I haven’t found Scott’s voice either. I mean, I know how he sounds like in my head, but I can’t show yet. One of the closest actors I found is Harris Dickinson (minus the accent, of course). While the tone is similar, his voice needs to carry a bit more… authority. You know what I mean?

I'd love to see it, but if not at least letting Scott and Jean have adventures in the Doctor Who style would be good too. Now, which Doctor? Four? Five? Ten?
    You’re being mean in this message! Don’t make me pick! :)

It needs to be tighter, I think.
    I agree.

Oh yeah, just underdogs really get me. Same as stories about brotherhood - they just draw me in.
    Mmm… don’t we tend to love the underdogs regardless of their being heroes?

Absolutely, it was so easy to enjoy Star Wars.

I'll have to go back and watch TNG eventually.
    Have you watched Enterprise? I used to watch it on cable and I really liked it. The fact the captain had a beagle just made everything better! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I'm starting to feel that positivity y'all have been on - it's making me anxious.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    It was cool. The art was supperb again.

spoilers:
    I wish Scott had gotten a bit more panel time, but he even got to bark some orders. It seems this issue was supposed to be more focused on Shiro and Jean appeared more because her power was needed for the team to find out more about the threat. I'm happy Shiro got a bit of the attention, though I didn't feel super excited about it. I'm also glad Duggan had Ev and Jean mentioning his time in the Vault. I hope to see more of it.
    end of spoilers

Overall, I wasn't as happy about it when comparing to issue #1, but it might be because I'm a bit down. I don't feel I can really judge the issue fairly.
    I (obviously) agree with your point about panel time generally, but I can live with it for now. It's the eternal curse of favorite characters.

I liked this issue, it's not reinventing anything but I don't need it to.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I wished there was a way to keep myself logged in longer. For the rest, I found a workaround. But yeah: it can be annoying.
    Everything has its limits, I can accept that.

I’m happy you do. Dark humour can be dangerous. Better used with caution.
    Truly a fearsome thing

Exactly. How do you feel about his being able to actually stop the beams, though?
    I'd like him to have an extended arc where he has either full on control or at least the ability to stop the beams, I'd like to see what kind of narrative options that would open. I don't need him to, I don't think he's a stagnant or broken character if he doesn't gain control.

It’s a cool story, but not really a must-read anyway.

Speaking of those, did you read Marvel’s Snapshots: X-Men?
    I did and I loved it so much I sent a message to Jay Edidin and they responded, just fantastic work by the creative team. What a great book, I lent it to my friends who are only casual comics readers and they liked it a lot too.

Mea culpa, my friend.
    It's all good.

Well, he’s a scientist so I guess it must have!

He looked like an evil vampire in the cartoon. Your kid-self had reason to be scared!
    Having such an intimidating antagonist oppose our boy only made me love Cyclops even more,

On Netflix, right? I probably won’t watch it either.
    It's not exactly on my list either, but my friend liked it well enough.

Those are his older movies. Funny that I didn’t get to watch those as a kid. I guess they weren’t popular in my country.
    I love his older stuff, there's definitely some nostalgia involved. The new stuff is good, but there's something missing with his American films - it's the editing.

I think both of them love a good detective/mystery/espionage/thriller story. I think they can re-watch Monty Phyton ad infinitum. I think they like weird comedies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show and smart-but-silly ones like Idiocracy. And some fantasy/science fiction/period/cyber punk stuff (including some animation films). I think both of them enjoy documentaries too.

Jean loves both sappy movies (like Love Story and The Notebook) and dark, twisted, psychological dramas (like Spider and Antichrist). The later being a bit harder on Scott’s stomach than hers because she’s too intrigued/fascinated to be revolted. Like I said before, I think Jean is a curious person so she loves watching international films as well.

Scott likes some war movies and westerns. And he tends to enjoy political dramas. I think he also likes some legal dramas, especially when it’s based on real cases.

Both of them are intelligent people, so I think they can easily handle each other’s tastes even when it’s not their favourite.

I can see them spending a weekend on marathons of films by a certain director like Hitchcock or Kubrick, whole sequel of films (like the Godfather), or just classics that can be grouped together by themes. I think planing the marathon is part of the fun for them.

I know it might seem boring, but I honestly think this is part of their intellectual attraction to each other.
    Okay, so The Dollars Trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, Blade Runner, can be added to the list. What about horror films? And what do you think about how they feel regarding the technical versus narrative aspects of films?

Oh, yeah. It’s mostly teasing.

You’ll probably prefer a female dog, then.
    Excellent.

I'll keep that in mind, maybe after I move I'll seriously consider it.

Rest in peace (or pieces).
    That is still to be determined.

Me too. But turn-based strategy. I like to think. Real time overwhelms me.
    I love turn-based, but I can tolerate real-time. Favorite game? Or series?

Hey, can’t you tell by now I have an over-active imagination? Don’t make me imagine that, you meanie.
    Okay, I laughed too hard at that gif.

Sorry, I routinely do that to myself.

I have news for you: that’s lucid dreaming, mister. Next time you realise you’re dreaming, try taking control over your actions. Try flying. Those are the best dreams.
    Maybe I subconsciously prevent myself from doing anything like that? When I've become aware, I still "follow the rules" of the dream, if that makes sense.

The audio quality is not that great, but here is she speaking in a less crazy interview.

She’s well-spoken and smart and engaging. Her tone is elegant, soothing, sweet and delicate, but can very easily turn lively. Also, her voice is a little raspy. It's very similar to how I imagine Jean should sound and I'd put whatever actress who will play her in the MCU to watch these videos.

I haven’t found Scott’s voice either. I mean, I know how he sounds like in my head, but I can’t show yet. One of the closest actors I found is Harris Dickinson (minus the accent, of course). While the tone is similar, his voice needs to carry a bit more… authority. You know what I mean?
    She does have a pleasant voice. I get what you mean about Scott's voice, and I think both Norm Spencer and Kirby Morrow were spectacular in their roles, and we need a real homerun for the next actor to portray Scott.

You’re being mean in this message! Don’t make me pick!
    Haha, you don't have to, every Doctor is amazing in their own way.

I agree.
    I've always been interested in the process and history of comics so maybe I'd make a decent editor? Or at least I could help clean some stuff up.

Mmm… don’t we tend to love the underdogs regardless of their being heroes?
    Definitely, but I know plenty of people who don't and I don't get it.

Have you watched Enterprise? I used to watch it on cable and I really liked it. The fact the captain had a beagle just made everything better!
    I've watched a few episodes and I think one or two films, but that was along time ago. I can actually thank one person for introducing me to Star Trek and Doctor Who, although the latter really drew me in.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I (obviously) agree with your point about panel time generally, but I can live with it for now. It's the eternal curse of favorite characters.

I liked this issue, it's not reinventing anything but I don't need it to.
    Yeah. I understand why Scott didn’t get a lot of focus in this issue. Duggan is juggling a lot of things. I’m glad he mentioned Ev’s time in the Vault by issue 2 (I think it was needed). I consider it was clever of his to tie that to Ev’s synching with Jean’s power. I’m glad he acknowledged Rogue and Remy’s relationship. I’m glad the X-men seemed competent dealing with the threat. I’m glad Scott guided the team during the combat, but was respectful when he asked Ev his opinion (it mirrors what Jean told him: he’s more of a veteran than they are by now - which doesn’t reflect in teamwork, but Scott’s question was about Ev’s power in specific, so it made sense) and I’m glad he even made a little joke, which seemed much better than the one in the first issue.

So far, I have much more positives than negatives to say about the issues in general and the portrayals of the characters in specific. But this is the honeymoon phase and I tend to be cautious.

Everything has its limits, I can accept that.
    Me too. It’s just a shame. :(

Truly a fearsome thing :p
    People who don’t know you can assume a lot of stuff about you that isn’t true because of your dark humour. Sarcasm is already dangerous enough.

Once I was at a shopping centre with my mum and I said: “what I love about this place is that we can clearly see the German influence in the formation of our people”. She looked at me puzzled and said: “What are you talking about?” And said: “Look around, mum. You and I are the only two women with dark hair in this place”. She looked around and burst in laughter. Then she said: “My God, girl! You can be so mean!” :D

And that’s my mother. :D

In case it wasn’t as obvious as I think it was: all the women around us clearly dyed their hair blond. And just to clarify: I have nothing against that. People should be allowed to do whatever they want with their appearance. I just couldn’t resist the joke because: 1) it was true. Mum and I were really the only women with dark hair around at that moment. 2) The universe is a joke and I see it and sometimes I can’t refrain from pointing it out. :P

I'd like him to have an extended arc where he has either full on control or at least the ability to stop the beams, I'd like to see what kind of narrative options that would open. I don't need him to, I don't think he's a stagnant or broken character if he doesn't gain control.
    You mean he’d keep the ability to stop the beams after the arc, right? There has been some stories in which he had that kind of control but then lost it again.

I wouldn’t mind it either. Like I said: I prefer that his power is just too strong to be stopped, but that’s just my headcanon. I can even live without the visor, though I think it’s too iconic to lose it and you can easily explain why he prefers to keep it.

And if you go by either the physical or the psychological trauma explanation, after the resurrection (and what we’ve seen about it) he shouldn’t suffer from those anymore anyway. So Krakoa would actually be the perfect place to try that story out.

Maybe it’s even what Duggan has planned for him.

I did and I loved it so much I sent a message to Jay Edidin and they responded, just fantastic work by the creative team. What a great book, I lent it to my friends who are only casual comics readers and they liked it a lot too.
    It’s an inconsequential little story and you can’t think too much of the chronology of the events. But most things about him in that book ring so true.

I love that he says: “I’m obsessing about it. I know” twice. That’s our boy: painfully aware of his flaws and turning them into a positive thing. I also love that of all the heroes, Reed is his favourite. It also rings true for him. :D

Having such an intimidating antagonist oppose our boy only made me love Cyclops even more,
    There’s an episode where as soon as he can attack Sinister he blasts him. There’s not even a single line before the does. I love it. I always go: “You go, boy. Tell us how you feel!” :D

He hates Sinister’s guts in the cartoon. :D

It's not exactly on my list either, but my friend liked it well enough.
    I’m a bit afraid to watch it, because it might corrupt my childhood views.

A bit like Rogue One. Of course it makes sense that the rebellion made some shady stuff. But I don’t need to see it. Let me think of them as the good guys. You know what I mean?

I love his older stuff, there's definitely some nostalgia involved. The new stuff is good, but there's something missing with his American films - it's the editing.
    Wasn’t he very involved in the editing himself? I remember I saw in an interview once that he thought a fighting scene should have the rhythm of the tap dancing in Singing in the Rain.

That is the kind of crazy association the jelly finds too irresistible! :)

Okay, so The Dollars Trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, Blade Runner, can be added to the list. What about horror films? And what do you think about how they feel regarding the technical versus narrative aspects of films?
    I think horror, action and musicals aren’t favourite genres for either of them, but I’m sure they can enjoy films of those genres if they’re good. Horror, specifically, if it’s more of the psychological kind like The Babadook or Seven (though the latter, like Red Dragon isn’t just horror). I think both of them can enjoy an action film if the action scenes are engaging like Mad Max: Road Fury.

I don’t think any of them are experts on the technical aspects of a movie, but I think they’re intelligent and observant enough to pay attention to them. I can imagine, for instance, that they probably commented about the cinematography of The Irishman, even though the movie doesn’t rely heavily on it (unlike a movie like Heroes or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). I think the narrative really is what they pay most attention too. And I think they really love talking about films once they watch it together, exactly because they probably pay attention to different things.

Like I said: I think watching movies really is part of their intellectual attraction to each other and this intellectual aspect is a huge part of their romantic dynamics. I know it wasn’t really emphasised in the comics, but when you think of who they are, it makes total sense.

What about you? What do think they like to watch?

Excellent.
    When writing, those archetypes (astrology, MBTI, enneagram, etc…) are also a good starting point. You’ll still have to work a lot to make them tridimensional, but I find it works like a charm to have those guiding Norths for the characters. It helps keeping them consistent.

I'll keep that in mind, maybe after I move I'll seriously consider it.
    You need some free time to dedicate to them regularly. Doggies really need people around, even the more cat-like breeds.

I love turn-based, but I can tolerate real-time. Favorite game? Or series?
    I think the one I played the most was Civilization (because I’m a sucker for the Wonders and the historical aspect of the scientific discoveries) but the last one I played a lot were the Total War: Warhammer because I’m a tabletop-RPG geek. :P

Okay, I laughed too hard at that gif.

Sorry, I routinely do that to myself.
    Oh, me too. Don’t worry.

Maybe I subconsciously prevent myself from doing anything like that? When I've become aware, I still "follow the rules" of the dream, if that makes sense.
    That’s how you get to have lucid dreaming more often, actually (for those of us who don’t experience lucid dreaming naturally). The trick is to learn how to increase your consciousness level while dreaming.

Sometimes I just follow the dream too, though, because the dream seems interesting enough. :)

She does have a pleasant voice. I get what you mean about Scott's voice, and I think both Norm Spencer and Kirby Morrow were spectacular in their roles, and we need a real homerun for the next actor to portray Scott.
    I love Norm Spencer’s voice, but sometimes I think the overdoes the acting a bit too much. Kirby Marrow played a cool teen Scott, it fit the script. :)

As for casting Scott and Jean in the MCU…. that will be a challenge!

I need a young Raph Fiennes to play him: an actor that doesn’t need to do much with his body and face, who doesn’t need to talk much, but still manages to express a ton. This is so hard to find, especially on a young actor. And on top of that, you still need the guy to be tall and have a natural poise of authority. Good luck finding that!

Here’s the voice I mentioned last time:

Casting Jean might be even more challenging. The woman needs to be a killer actress with a *lot* of range of emotions and be drop-dead gorgeous. Since True Blood, Deborah Ann Woll was a favourite, even though she’s way too tall to play Jean. But depending on what they want for the story, she might be too old to play a teenager Jean now.

And then, you still need those actors to have amazing chemistry with each other.

Haha, you don't have to, every Doctor is amazing in their own way.
    Phew! :)

Here’s an idea: since Disney owns everything now, wouldn’t it be cool if they ended up “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away”?

Normally, I don’t like like those mash-ups, but Jean could easily be considered a force user and Scott could lead so many planetary independence efforts… Not to mention that imagining them walking around in Coruscant is getting my nerd neurons firing hard! :D

I've always been interested in the process and history of comics so maybe I'd make a decent editor? Or at least I could help clean some stuff up.
    I bet you would.

Definitely, but I know plenty of people who don't and I don't get it.
    Really? I think most people I know can't resist cheering for the underdog, unless the favourite is also their personal preference/team.

I've watched a few episodes and I think one or two films, but that was along time ago. I can actually thank one person for introducing me to Star Trek and Doctor Who, although the latter really drew me in.
    The cool thing about the Enterprise series (other than Porthos, the beagle, of course) is that it happens before all the others, so they lack the experience/technology the other crews have. :)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 08-06-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Yeah. I understand why Scott didn’t get a lot of focus in this issue. Duggan is juggling a lot of things. I’m glad he mentioned Ev’s time in the Vault by issue 2 (I think it was needed). I consider it was clever of his to tie that to Ev’s synching with Jean’s power. I’m glad he acknowledged Rogue and Remy’s relationship. I’m glad the X-men seemed competent dealing with the threat. I’m glad Scott guided the team during the combat, but was respectful when he asked Ev his opinion (it mirrors what Jean told him: he’s more of a veteran than they are by now - which doesn’t reflect in teamwork, but Scott’s question was about Ev’s power in specific, so it made sense) and I’m glad he even made a little joke, which seemed much better than the one in the first issue.

So far, I have much more positives than negatives to say about the issues in general and the portrayals of the characters in specific. But this is the honeymoon phase and I tend to be cautious.
    You know, that comment about experience doesn't work totally for me, unless I misunderstood how it was intended. I mean, having centuries worth of experience doing one thing, surviving in a hostile environment, doesn't necessarily make someone more experienced in a general sense. I don't know, I'll have to reread it.

Yeah, we're definitely in the honeymoon phase, but so far this book actually justifies its name, unlike like Hickman's, and Scott and Jean actually do things.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

People who don’t know you can assume a lot of stuff about you that isn’t true because of your dark humour. Sarcasm is already dangerous enough.

Once I was at a shopping centre with my mum and I said: “what I love about this place is that we can clearly see the German influence in the formation of our people”. She looked at me puzzled and said: “What are you talking about?” And said: “Look around, mum. You and I are the only two women with dark hair in this place”. She looked around and burst in laughter. Then she said: “My God, girl! You can be so mean!”

And that’s my mother.

In case it wasn’t as obvious as I think it was: all the women around us clearly dyed their hair blond. And just to clarify: I have nothing against that. People should be allowed to do whatever they want with their appearance. I just couldn’t resist the joke because: 1) it was true. Mum and I were really the only women with dark hair around at that moment. 2) The universe is a joke and I see it and sometimes I can’t refrain from pointing it out.
    We gotta start giving each other the benefit of the doubt.

You mean he’d keep the ability to stop the beams after the arc, right? There has been some stories in which he had that kind of control but then lost it again.

I wouldn’t mind it either. Like I said: I prefer that his power is just too strong to be stopped, but that’s just my headcanon. I can even live without the visor, though I think it’s too iconic to lose it and you can easily explain why he prefers to keep it.

And if you go by either the physical or the psychological trauma explanation, after the resurrection (and what we’ve seen about it) he shouldn’t suffer from those anymore anyway. So Krakoa would actually be the perfect place to try that story out.

Maybe it’s even what Duggan has planned for him.
    Yeah, exactly. Logically, Scott should no longer need the visor, so either your headcanon is correct, or no one cares enough at Marvel. I'd like to see what you describe, and he could absolutely keep the visor for his costume and varied/controlled shots.

It’s an inconsequential little story and you can’t think too much of the chronology of the events. But most things about him in that book ring so true.

I love that he says: “I’m obsessing about it. I know” twice. That’s our boy: painfully aware of his flaws and turning them into a positive thing. I also love that of all the heroes, Reed is his favourite. It also rings true for him.
    Yeah, I loved practically everything about it, it was the best X-Book in months in my opinion. His favorite being Reed was also neat, it rings true and I liked the overall positive tone. So many of these characters are denigrated (glad I skipped FF: Life Story) and Scott had hardly been treated well in a while so it was a breath of fresh air.

There’s an episode where as soon as he can attack Sinister he blasts him. There’s not even a single line before the does. I love it. I always go: “You go, boy. Tell us how you feel!”

He hates Sinister’s guts in the cartoon.
    Haha, yeah, that was great, I felt that.

I’m a bit afraid to watch it, because it might corrupt my childhood views.

A bit like Rogue One. Of course it makes sense that the rebellion made some shady stuff. But I don’t need to see it. Let me think of them as the good guys. You know what I mean?
    I thought Rogue One was a good movie, but I haven't made up my mind if it was a good Star Wars movie - maybe that show is similar in that regard?

Wasn’t he very involved in the editing himself? I remember I saw in an interview once that he thought a fighting scene should have the rhythm of the tap dancing in Singing in the Rain.

That is the kind of crazy association the jelly finds too irresistible!
    Yeah, exactly - he would repeat a take hundreds of times if that's what it took to be authentic. He wants us to see and feel the impact, many Hollywood films cut on impact, it's so artificial and lifeless. And you're right, rhythm was integral to his approach.

I think horror, action and musicals aren’t favourite genres for either of them, but I’m sure they can enjoy films of those genres if they’re good. Horror, specifically, if it’s more of the psychological kind like The Babadook or Seven (though the latter, like Red Dragon isn’t just horror). I think both of them can enjoy an action film if the action scenes are engaging like Mad Max: Road Fury.

I don’t think any of them are experts on the technical aspects of a movie, but I think they’re intelligent and observant enough to pay attention to them. I can imagine, for instance, that they probably commented about the cinematography of The Irishman, even though the movie doesn’t rely heavily on it (unlike a movie like Heroes or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). I think the narrative really is what they pay most attention too. And I think they really love talking about films once they watch it together, exactly because they probably pay attention to different things.

Like I said: I think watching movies really is part of their intellectual attraction to each other and this intellectual aspect is a huge part of their romantic dynamics. I know it wasn’t really emphasised in the comics, but when you think of who they are, it makes total sense.

What about you? What do think they like to watch?
    I think they'd have liked the Universal Horror films but probably not the Hammer Horror films; otherwise, I think you've pretty much covered all of the bases. Of the two, Scott is probably more conscious of the technical aspects of films, and Jean probably picks up on narrative details that Scott might miss.

When writing, those archetypes (astrology, MBTI, enneagram, etc…) are also a good starting point. You’ll still have to work a lot to make them tridimensional, but I find it works like a charm to have those guiding Norths for the characters. It helps keeping them consistent.
    Definitely, I can see the utility in them, they're like a shorthand when establishing character beats.

You need some free time to dedicate to them regularly. Doggies really need people around, even the more cat-like breeds.
    Oh yeah, I can tell just from my brothers' dogs.

I think the one I played the most was Civilization (because I’m a sucker for the Wonders and the historical aspect of the scientific discoveries) but the last one I played a lot were the Total War: Warhammer because I’m a tabletop-RPG geek.
    I haven't really gotten into PC games or tabletop much - the last few games I've played are Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Three Houses, X-Com, and Chrono Cross. I also like fighting games (I need another MvC with the X-Men properly in it) and adventure games like Mario and Zelda.

That’s how you get to have lucid dreaming more often, actually (for those of us who don’t experience lucid dreaming naturally). The trick is to learn how to increase your consciousness level while dreaming.

Sometimes I just follow the dream too, though, because the dream seems interesting enough.
    I've noticed it tends to happen to me most often in nightmares; for example, I'm being chased by a monster or something, I become aware, but I continue to run because that's what the dream is about. I'm just not afraid anymore.

I love Norm Spencer’s voice, but sometimes I think the overdoes the acting a bit too much. Kirby Marrow played a cool teen Scott, it fit the script.

As for casting Scott and Jean in the MCU…. that will be a challenge!
    I'm just glad I'm not in charge of casting.

Phew!!...
    I don't see why not, DC crossed over with Star Trek, so lets do this next.

I bet you would.
    I wouldn't want to steer a writer away from their intended story, I would just want to make sure it's as consistent as possible with the continuity of the characters if not the universe.

Really? I think most people I know can't resist cheering for the underdog, unless the favourite is also their personal preference/team.
    That's what it usually is, there are plenty of action flicks for example where the lead is practically invincible, and they're fine, but I prefer to see the hero properly challenged.

The cool thing about the Enterprise series (other than Porthos, the beagle, of course) is that it happens before all the others, so they lack the experience/technology the other crews have.
    A team of underdogs you might say.

I had to remove some of the post, it was too long apparently.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

You know, that comment about experience doesn't work totally for me, unless I misunderstood how it was intended. I mean, having centuries worth of experience doing one thing, surviving in a hostile environment, doesn't necessarily make someone more experienced in a general sense. I don't know, I'll have to reread it.

Yeah, we're definitely in the honeymoon phase, but so far this book actually justifies its name, unlike like Hickman's, and Scott and Jean actually do things.
    That’s what I meant, his experience doesn’t reflect in adapting to new missions/threats/scenarios and that’s why Scott was giving the orders to the team. But when it came to Ev’s own powers, Scott was gracious enough to ask him, recognizing that Ev, on that regard, had much more experience and probably has explored his powers (its potential and its limits) in countless different ways.

Ev’s case is a weird one. I was talking about that to another poster on some other thread (probably the review of issue #1?), that he does have a lot of experience on certain aspects, but very few on others, exactly because his life, though long, was very limited inside the Vault.

There are certainly many interesting avenues for a writer to explore and I hope Duggan has time to do so, because, if well done, he could become a fan favourite and I’d really like that. :)

As for the honeymoon phase... yeah, the narrative has to evolve into something more than threat of the week, win, be praised. It has to become more personal and more challenging at some point. I'm not giving it a deadline for it to happen, but I want to see what happens then. And if it doesn't... well, then we'll have another book that will make me lose interest. It's really too soon to tell either way. So far so good. Fingers crossed. :)

We gotta start giving each other the benefit of the doubt.
    Most people learn not to. And I can understand why, actually. Most of the times I did that or I acted against my intuition, I came to regret.

Still, I tell myself it’s a risk worth taking. Because sometimes, even if very rarely, you find someone who was worth the risk you took. And if not… well, you’ll get hurt, but you’ll survive. What’s another scar on an old heart anyway?

Yeah, exactly. Logically, Scott should no longer need the visor, so either your headcanon is correct, or no one cares enough at Marvel. I'd like to see what you describe, and he could absolutely keep the visor for his costume and varied/controlled shots.
    Well, in X-Force he was sleeping wearing what I assume was a ruby-quartz laced sleeping mask? So I guess his power is still unstoppable… Then again, I still don’t even know how he had two eyes in HoX/PoX when they couldn’t regenerate Domino’s when she lost one of hers.

Yeah, I loved practically everything about it, it was the best X-Book in months in my opinion. His favorite being Reed was also neat, it rings true and I liked the overall positive tone. So many of these characters are denigrated (glad I skipped FF: Life Story) and Scott had hardly been treated well in a while so it was a breath of fresh air.
    Scott is such an endearing character when they’re not trying to make him “interesting”… *sigh* How not to love him? :)

Haha, yeah, that was great, I felt that.
    I *always* squeak when I watch it! :D

I thought Rogue One was a good movie, but I haven't made up my mind if it was a good Star Wars movie - maybe that show is similar in that regard?
    I think there are two movies in that movie. The re-shots really saved the film.

It might be why you feel a bit conflicted about it?

Yeah, exactly - he would repeat a take hundreds of times if that's what it took to be authentic. He wants us to see and feel the impact, many Hollywood films cut on impact, it's so artificial and lifeless. And you're right, rhythm was integral to his approach.
    It makes sense that he compares to to dancing because dancing is movement married to music. And music is all about tension and release. That’s what makes a fighting scene interesting if it’s short. If it’s longer, then you also need to add some narrative to it.

Daredevil series hallway fighting scene is a masterpiece.

I’ll never forgive Marvel/Disney for pulling that series out of the air and *not* doing anything with the character in the MCU. The greed!

Anyway, I love that he’s absolutely exhausted in the end and he’s still careful enough not to scare the child and he’s so sweet to him. What a hero! :)

Man, I love Matt Murdock! <3<3<3<3<3 Probably time to watch this series again for the… sixth time? :D

I think they'd have liked the Universal Horror films but probably not the Hammer Horror films; otherwise, I think you've pretty much covered all of the bases. Of the two, Scott is probably more conscious of the technical aspects of films, and Jean probably picks up on narrative details that Scott might miss.
    I think Scott picks up lots of the narrative too. Little camera tricks and details and clues that are serving the story. I think Jean is really good at observing the acting and dialogue and when something changes. :)

Now, would they watch the film with their minds in the same “room” of their psychic rapport? That’d be so cool, because then they could perceive what the other is perceiving real-time. :)

They might not do it that, though, if one of them is particularly attracted to one of the actors/actresses. :D

Definitely, I can see the utility in them, they're like a shorthand when establishing character beats.
    Especially at first, when you don’t know much of the character yourself, or better said, you may know everything about the character, but they’re not familiar to you yet.

Oh yeah, I can tell just from my brothers' dogs.
    Loveliest creatures on this planet. :)

I haven't really gotten into PC games or tabletop much - the last few games I've played are Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Three Houses, X-Com, and Chrono Cross. I also like fighting games (I need another MvC with the X-Men properly in it) and adventure games like Mario and Zelda.
    I love games, but I’ve been trying to spend less time on them. There’s a learning curve to any game worth its salt and you don’t easily take the skills you develop to play them to other areas of your life (not directly at least). Now I’m trying to combine things that entertain me with learning something new, ‘cause you know, I’m old and I have less time to lose. :P

I've noticed it tends to happen to me most often in nightmares; for example, I'm being chased by a monster or something, I become aware, but I continue to run because that's what the dream is about. I'm just not afraid anymore.
    Oh, but that’s perfect. Try to evade the monster by jumping off the ground and starting to fly. You may float for a while or end up doing a big, long jump. Try again. :)

I'm just glad I'm not in charge of casting.
    Me too. I’d probably infuriate the studio. :D

I don't see why not, DC crossed over with Star Trek, so lets do this next.
    Bucket-Master, using the Force: “You’ll write a story with Scott Summers and Jean Grey set in the Star Wars universe”. :P

But wearing a bucket instead of a hoodie. :D

I wouldn't want to steer a writer away from their intended story, I would just want to make sure it's as consistent as possible with the continuity of the characters if not the universe.
    I trust you! :)

That's what it usually is, there are plenty of action flicks for example where the lead is practically invincible, and they're fine, but I prefer to see the hero properly challenged.
    Then the victory is much yummier! And if it comes with a good musical score, then… Mmmmwah! :)

A team of underdogs you might say.
    In a way. But there’s also a certain… innocence? It’s not exactly the word I’m looking for, but it’s something like this. It’s just cool. :)

I had to remove some of the post, it was too long apparently.
    It’s ‘cause I’m verbose… Sorry? :(

X-Men crossed over with Star Trek as well, with the best LOL moment being Nurse Chapel coming into sickbay while Bones and Hank are discussing things.....

"Dr McCoy!?"

....both turn and look at her ...
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    X-Men crossed over with Star Trek as well, with the best LOL moment being Nurse Chapel coming into sickbay while Bones and Hank are discussing things.....

"Dr McCoy!?"

....both turn and look at her ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'