Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    So, I was looking for some instances of Jean using her tk and being awesome at it, and I found some cute moments of our couple. I'll be posting them.

Starting with this one. It's not exactly a tk-flight kiss, but it's similar to the moment in The Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix. I think we could call it a "whee! catch me!" moment! And this one ends with a kiss!

If you ask me, the world needs more of those kisses. Marvel, make it happen, please!
    Very nice moment, but can those guys beat it? Geez.

Also, talk about awkward dialogue, lol.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Fantastic Member Legaldrugdealer's Avatar

Thanks for sharing, From The Shadows.

When I first saw this "cover" some months ago, actually tried to find it if was an old book I hadn't read! Unfortunately, it wasn't. But the art is gorgeous.
    Thanks,this is mine 😊. This is a commission from Joelle Jones from like 4 years ago. It’s inspired by a few panels from x-men 32 of the original run. I had asked for something homaging old romance covers and I paraphrased the dialogue from the panels. I wanted civilian clothes and x-men logo. She changed it to their costumes and marvel romance title

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Cool, although I still think everything would've worked much better if the book had come out sooner.
    Certainly. And I still don’t know how big its impact will be.

Aww man, are we Dr. B and Mountain Explosion?
    I don’t know those drinks, but by your reaction, it sounds bad.

I think I’m just plain water. Not much nonsense about it and quite boring. :D

I was close to that point with Hickman's X-Men, it's been a huge disappointment to me.
    I’m very close to it now, after that Planet Size stuff.

Prosecutors have their place in the judicial system, but Matt just doesn't work as one. Other than that point, I've heard good things about that run, and also about Zdarsky's. I guess they just both make some poor decisions.
    Prosecutors are super important and I see good things about a system where judges and DAs are elected. At the same time, the elections themselves insert huge political considerations in the juridical system that you just don’t have in systems where judges and prosecutors are chosen by a selection process based on knowledge, for instance (with actual tests). And, even on those systems, politics still play a huge role.

Matt is all about the law. He certainly would prefer to be able to choose how he practices law and being a defendant allows him this freedom. Not to mention, sometimes his vigilante stuff keeps him away from New York (or wherever he's living) for weeks. You can't do that if you're working for the government.

I gave it a try back then, but I was still feeling sour, so it didn’t work. And I don't supposed it wouldn’t work now. But I will go back to those comics once Matt is allowed to be Daredevil again.

I can't bring myself to pick up WoX, I'm barely hanging on to X-Men as it is.
    For me, it’s more of a matter of I need to know what is wrong with those characters I love. But if it turns out that there’s nothing wrong or that Kurt actually finds a way to save this society, I’m so out it will be years before I give it a try again. If ever.

I'd read it too, although it's a shame they won't give Jean a better codename.
    They’re okay with having her use “Marvel Girl”. But “Marvel Woman”? No. That is just too bad. They don’t like it. The logic of it is… just… argh…

Very nice moment, but can those guys beat it? Geez.

Also, talk about awkward dialogue, lol.
    I think most of them (if not all of them) are the kids the X-Factor had rescued. They were often gossiping about Scott and Jean's relationship because they wanted them to be together. So, when they were finally seeing it, they were happy. Jean had just taken them there, that's why they didn't "beat" it yet.

Quite often either Scott or Jean or both had to tell those kids to get out when they were about to have one of those epic fights or just a more serious argument. It's actually quite funny (EDIT: at least if you have a weird sense of humour like mine). I should look for some of those fights of that period! :D

But I already selected some other stuff to share first. I'll add it to the list for now. :)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-21-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legaldrugdealer View Post
    Thanks,this is mine ��. This is a commission from Joelle Jones from like 4 years ago. It’s inspired by a few panels from x-men 32 of the original run. I had asked for something homaging old romance covers and I paraphrased the dialogue from the panels. I wanted civilian clothes and x-men logo. She changed it to their costumes and marvel romance title
    I love the idea and the execution. It's beautiful!

I seriously thought it might have been one of those obscure comics I hadn't read and I looked for it! :D

Well done!

I think I’m just plain water. Not much nonsense about it and quite boring.

Prosecutors are super important and I see good things about a system where judges and DAs are elected. At the same time, the elections themselves insert huge political considerations in the juridical system that you just don’t have in systems where judges and prosecutors are chosen by a selection process based on knowledge, for instance (with actual tests). And, even on those systems, politics still play a huge role.

Matt is all about the law. He certainly would prefer to be able to choose how he practices law and being a defendant allows him this freedom. Not to mention, sometimes his vigilante stuff keeps him away from New York (or wherever he's living) for weeks. You can't do that if you're working for the government.

I gave it a try back then, but I was still feeling sour, so it didn’t work. And I don't supposed it wouldn’t work now. But I will go back to those comics once Matt is allowed to be Daredevil again.

For me, it’s more of a matter of I need to know what is wrong with those characters I love. But if it turns out that there’s nothing wrong or that Kurt actually finds a way to save this society, I’m so out it will be years before I give it a try again. If ever.

They’re okay with having her use “Marvel Girl”. But “Marvel Woman”? No. That is just too bad. They don’t like it. The logic of it is… just… argh…
    I don't know how the comics approached Matt Murdock as a prosecutor, but in the real world there is a growing movement among progressives and criminal justice reformers to become prosecuters due to the power they have.

Prosecuters decide who gets charged and with what. This gives the power to overcharge for small crimes or not, but also whether or not bad cops ever see a courtroom for abuse of power. They decide what exculpatory evidence is even shared with defense attorneys, leading immoral DAs to hide evidence to keep their conviction rates up (as those rates are often what gets touted when they run for reelection or higher office). They determine what is offered in plea bargains, what bail is asked for, and a whole host of other things as well. I doubt Marvel is working this angle though.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't know how the comics approached Matt Murdock as a prosecutor, but in the real world there is a growing movement among progressives and criminal justice reformers to become prosecuters due to the power they have.

Prosecuters decide who gets charged and with what. This gives the power to overcharge for small crimes or not, but also whether or not bad cops ever see a courtroom for abuse of power. They decide what exculpatory evidence is even shared with defense attorneys, leading immoral DAs to hide evidence to keep their conviction rates up (as those rates are often what gets touted when they run for reelection or higher office). They determine what is offered in plea bargains, what bail is asked for, and a whole host of other things as well. I doubt Marvel is working this angle though.
    Exactly, it's a lot of power and it comes with a lot of strings and a lot of politics attached. I commend those progressives who want to change the current situation, specially when you take into account racial bias and other parts of the system that is really unfair (again: I'm not saying the whole system is rotten, please, no system is perfect).

Still... even considering all of that, I don't think Matt could stomach the work. I didn't read the comics yet, so maybe they did it brilliantly, but I really doubt it because his works as a lawyer is rarely the focus of the stories. I think the motivation was really the silly idea that the prosecutors are the good guys and Matt should have been one all along.

When I do get to those stories, I'll let you know what I think of it, if you want. :)

Welcome back, by the way. :)

Exactly, it's a lot of power and it comes with a lot of strings and a lot of politics attached. I commend those progressives who want to change the current situation, specially when you take into account racial bias and other parts of the system that is really unfair (again: I'm not saying the whole system is rotten, please, no system is perfect).

Still... even considering all of that, I don't think Matt could stomach the work. I didn't read the comics yet, so maybe they did it brilliantly, but I really doubt it because his works as a lawyer is rarely the focus of the stories. I think the motivation was really the silly idea that the prosecutors are the good guys and Matt should have been one all along.

When I do get to those stories, I'll let you know what I think of it, if you want.

Welcome back, by the way.
    I haven't been replying as much since most of my posting is from my phone while on break at work (although not this one) and it is a pain to deal with quoting long posts. I often get an error message from CBR telling me that by quoting I somehow have 5 pictures in my message when I added zero.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I haven't been replying as much since most of my posting is from my phone while on break at work (although not this one) and it is a pain to deal with quoting long posts. I often get an error message from CBR telling me that by quoting I somehow have 5 pictures in my message when I added zero.
    I get that message from my computer as well. I have a work around but I doubt it would be very useful on your cell phone. :(

What I do is that I edit the post the way I want, then I paste it on the form that appears when I click on "reply with quote". After that, I can click on "go advanced". If I first click on "go advance" and paste the text there, I get the error.

I'll try to make the posts shorter to make it easier for you.

Okay, so back to Matt, I remember I read the first issue and the fact he had a sidekick was really too much for me. He also, as an A.D.A said something like: "I'm a prosecutor now. I put the bad guys away" and it didn't inspire me much confidence. If I had been on a more patient moment for comics, I'd probably kept reading for a good 6-10 months more. But I was really saturated. It was time I walked away for a while.

I do miss him so much, though... I've been feeling very tempted to give a try again. But I keep telling myself: wait for him to be allowed to be DD again, then there's a higher chance it will work.

If it fleshes out all of the issues and answers the odd behavior, it will have been the best book of this era.

I think I’m just plain water. Not much nonsense about it and quite boring.
    Oops, bad joke, lol.

The plot was telegraphed a mile away, although the bit about Sol's capitol and regent was silly to me. Yeah, Duggan doesn't have much leeway with me, I might be dropping all X-books for the foreseeable future.

I can't say definitively but it seems to me that Elektra stands to gain more from the cowl than the narrative does from having her wear it. The big moment is Matt gaining it back. Elektra is a fine character, and this is good for her character (and I do like the costume), but I'm also not interested in reading this.

Same.

Jean or Storm should be getting the push Marvel seems convinced will eventually pay off with Captain Marvel.

I think most of them (if not all of them) are the kids the X-Factor had rescued. They were often gossiping about Scott and Jean's relationship because they wanted them to be together. So, when they were finally seeing it, they were happy. Jean had just taken them there, that's why they didn't "beat" it yet.

Quite often either Scott or Jean or both had to tell those kids to get out when they were about to have one of those epic fights or just a more serious argument. It's actually quite funny (EDIT: at least if you have a weird sense of humour like mine). I should look for some of those fights of that period!

But I already selected some other stuff to share first. I'll add it to the list for now.
    Oh, lol, okay. Still awkward to me
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Okay, so back to Matt, I remember I read the first issue and the fact he had a sidekick was really too much for me. He also, as an A.D.A said something like: "I'm a prosecutor now. I put the bad guys away" and it didn't inspire me much confidence. If I had been on a more patient moment for comics, I'd probably kept reading for a good 6-10 months more. But I was really saturated. It was time I walked away for a while.

I do miss him so much, though... I've been feeling very tempted to give a try again. But I keep telling myself: wait for him to be allowed to be DD again, then there's a higher chance it will work.
    Do you think that point has been reached for Scott or Jean?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

If it fleshes out all of the issues and answers the odd behavior, it will have been the best book of this era.
    I don’t think it answers for all the odd behaviour. I still think there’s something fishy about the resurrection protocols and I just saw another hint in the preview for X-Factor #10.

Oops, bad joke, lol
    Probably not a bad one. I mean, what do I know? I have a weird sense of humour. I might have laughed my head off.

I could actually sense the humour, but there was a cultural barrier there. Are those two drinks really bad? :D

The plot was telegraphed a mile away, although the bit about Sol's capitol and regent was silly to me. Yeah, Duggan doesn't have much leeway with me, I might be dropping all X-books for the foreseeable future.
    Oh… the reveal that the regent of Solar System was…

spoilers:
    Storm
    end of spoilers

…hurt my soul. I love this character and to see them become a dictator, while their fans were so excited… *sigh* It makes me feel so lonely. I’m really an alien living inside a human body.

(Lord Ziggy Stardust, please, take me back to our planet. I don’t belong here.)

You see? The best scenario that can come from it is that they turn out to be a benevolent dictator. But a benevolent dictator is still a dictator.

Also, I’m also losing my patience at how convenient everything has been for mutants. Just to mention a few…

spoilers:
    They develop the medicine they need to buy support for Krakoa. They have the exact two mutant powers they need in Arakko. They’re able to create a new super metal that will provide miraculous economic relief for the galactic powers that need to support the mutant coup on the Solar System…
    end of spoilers

It’s getting boring, you know?

So, yeah, I’m very turned off about the direction this is going. My only hope is to see some pretty exciting heroics (and maybe some much needed romance) in the new X-Men book. But if that’s a disappointment as well… I’m walking away from comics again. I'm super close to doing that.

I can't say definitively but it seems to me that Elektra stands to gain more from the cowl than the narrative does from having her wear it. The big moment is Matt gaining it back. Elektra is a fine character, and this is good for her character (and I do like the costume), but I'm also not interested in reading this.
    I’ve read some good reviews but I’m so tired of this BS. Instead of actually creating new interesting characters who are women or non-heterosexual or non-white or just allow the current ones to shine on their own, they go the easy and lazy way and just change stuff.

Elektra never needed to be Daredevil. She’s effing Elektra, for god’s sake!

As a woman I find it insulting that they think a female character cannot be important unless you steal the place/power/name of a established male character and give it to them.

Write better female characters!

Jean or Storm should be getting the push Marvel seems convinced will eventually pay off with Captain Marvel.
    Jean has been dead for more than 20 years. Outside the DPS, she very rarely is drawn as cool and powerful as Ororo, even thought telekinesis is such a versatile and visually cool power. And still she’s so beloved and important.

Why do you think they put her in so many covers? The girl sells.

But still… for some reason, most writers are still stuck in this echo chamber that she is boring and that there is nothing but the Phoenix when it comes to her yada-yada… And she remains a beautiful wall paper.

The fact that Marvel can’t see what they have in their hands… It baffles me.

There was a time, when Jean was stuck in the White Hot Room, that I wished they’d just sell the character to DC. I don’t even like DC much because they keep resetting their universe. But I’m pretty sure DC wouldn’t keep a character like her dead for 20+ years. Dead. Not even a walpaper.

Anyway, as for Storm… Disney is actually giving her a push. Some years ago I saw they had a whole Storm ride in one of the parks. I’d have to check, but I suppose it’s still there, no?

I’m pretty sure she’ll be huge once the X-Men movies are out.

Oh, lol, okay. Still awkward to me
    Yeah, it is. But it’s less awkward in context. :)

Do you think that point has been reached for Scott or Jean?
    What do you mean? That they’ve become unrecognisable?

If that’s what you’re asking, I’d say it really depends on how much their behaviour/decisions have been influenced by some external factor. If it’s just really them, if that’s whom they become, for me, yeah, I'd say that point has been reached… I’m just not interested in those characters.

And it hurts to say that…

But it’s a bit like the teen versions of Jean and Scott (and really, all the O5) who were time-displaced. They’re just not the characters I love. And it’s aggravating that they substituted my favourites. Since I have no power to change that, what am I suppose to do? Spend money and time to just feel betrayed and upset? It doesn’t make sense to me.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-24-2021 at 11:08 PM.

All right, guys. I'm sorry. I'd promise some other cute moments of our couple, but I've been sick this week and I didn't have the patience to post the panels. But I'll do it now.

I'll start with a sequence of emotional moments that I decided I should put together because they are related and because they show how balanced and mutual their relationship is. So let's get to it!

Default About the companionship aspect of their relationship.

Quite often we see people saying that Jean was only stuck in that relationship to play the role of the supportive girlfriend. But that's not true. Scott and Jean are friends, brothers-in-arms, before anything else. They are both supportive of each other, regardless of the romantic status of their relationship and sometimes in spite of the troubles related to it.

This sequence that happened during the X-Factor era show it well.

***************************SPOILER ALERT!!!***************************

(The spoilers relate to their relationship, but they mention things that happened in X-Factor #12, then from X-Factor #27 to the aftermath of Inferno)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-24-2021 at 11:40 PM.