Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    and they're back!

Courageous from Jean to have a partner who can kill her if he doesn’t pay attention…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Courageous from Jean to have a partner who can kill her if he doesn’t pay attention…
    I like to think that love, desire and an untamable heart makes it so that she didn't need much courage.

My guess, though, is that it took her a lot of patience to deal with his fear of hurting her.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love all of this. I loved the family bond they had in so much of X-Factor. I noticed they really distanced Jean from baby Nathan right before they sent him to the future, and all the grief and trauma was about Scott as his father. It felt like dishonest writing not to address that Jean was a parent to the baby too. Letting Scott and Jean raise Nathan in the future for awhile was a real gift to right that wrong, and now getting kid Cable with them is a joy, although it has issues that haven't been addressed (like the murder of adult Cable!).
    I'm replying to you here because the other thread is doubled and I can't send you a private message.

If I'm not mistaken, that story was written by Chris Claremont and he was at the height of his annoyance with Jean and Scott being a couple again. So, he would never let Jean "steal" Madelyne's baby, I guess. And then, after that, it's been mostly about Scott being Nathan's father. When Jean is much more than an adoptive mother to him (as if being "just" an adoptive mother wasn't enough for her to be considered Nathan's mother!). Like I said, I'd like both of them to be regarded as parents and to have more or less the same panel time with their children.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    and they're back!

I know it's artistic liberty and all, but I dislike when they make Cyke's visor so thin. He would be constantly falling over things with that thing on! Such a narrow vision!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I like to think that love, desire and an untamable heart makes it so that she didn't need much courage.

My guess, though, is that it took her a lot of patience to deal with his fear of hurting her.

I'm replying to you here because the other thread is doubled and I can't send you a private message.

If I'm not mistaken, that story was written by Chris Claremont and he was at the height of his annoyance with Jean and Scott being a couple again. So, he would never let Jean "steal" Madelyne's baby, I guess. And then, after that, it's been mostly about Scott being Nathan's father. When Jean is much more than an adoptive mother to him (as if being "just" an adoptive mother wasn't enough for her to be considered Nathan's mother!). Like I said, I'd like both of them to be regarded as parents and to have more or less the same panel time with their children.
    You may be right about Claremont writing that. I love his writing but he really never has got over his issues with Jean and needs to not write her (or Scott). Of course an adoptive mother is a real mother. Beyond that she is genetically Nathan's mother, she raised him and had a psychic bond with him so it's bad writing to minimize that relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Maddie gave up all rights to Nathan when she attempted to have him sacrificed to Satan. Or S'ym, I suppose. The notion that a step-parent can never be the real one is something I find incredibly offensive, but my natural mother left when I was 3 (after much abuse that I have been told about but don't remember, as I don't remember that period of my life in the slightest) and has never attempted the slightest attempts at contact in the following 45 years. I know who my 'real' mother is, and it isn't the woman who is listed on the birth certificate.

Or, as illustrated best by one of the greatest TV dads of all time....

Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Maddie gave up all rights to Nathan when she attempted to have him sacrificed to Satan. Or S'ym, I suppose. The notion that a step-parent can never be the real one is something I find incredibly offensive, but my natural mother left when I was 3 (after much abuse that I have been told about but don't remember, as I don't remember that period of my life in the slightest) and has never attempted the slightest attempts at contact in the following 45 years. I know who my 'real' mother is, and it isn't the woman who is listed on the birth certificate.
    I totally agree with you. Step-parents are parents.

I'm so sorry you went through this experience. But I'm glad you had a real mother in your life. Still, in these times of pandemic, social isolation and so much misunderstanding, I feel it's more important than ever that we express ourselves. Thanks for sharing your experience, please, accept a Jean hug from another X-fan. :)

https://i2.wp.com/thefanboyseo.com/w...size=699%2C617

Totally agree with you here. I have what would be considered a step daughter but that phrase isn't tolerated in my house. My daughter is 12 years old and I have been the only father she ever has knownfor the last 11 years. Her "donor" as I choose to call him lost the priviledge of being considered a parent to my babygirl when he can't be bothered to pickup the phone, or gone to a single function or appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Totally agree with you here. I have what would be considered a step daughter but that phrase isn't tolerated in my house. My daughter is 12 years old and I have been the only father she ever has knownfor the last 11 years. Her "donor" as I choose to call him lost the priviledge of being considered a parent to my babygirl when he can't be bothered to pickup the phone, or gone to a single function or appointment.
    You get a Jean hug too, sir! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke is Slim View Post
    Oh, I love this! Where is it from?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Oh, I love this! Where is it from?
    It's a What if from several years back.

Maddie gave up all rights to Nathan when she attempted to have him sacrificed to Satan. Or S'ym, I suppose.
    I blame the writers (and editors) who made Maddie do it so Scott wouldn't have to be the bad guy. IMHO that was totally unnecessary; would it really have ruined Scott and Jean's happiness if Madelyne had been jolted back to sanity by her baby's peril and sacrificed herself to save him?

BTW, in Battle World Inferno, Nathan was alive and well; he thought his Goblin Queen Mom was cool.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 05-03-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I blame the writers (and editors) who made Maddie do it so Scott wouldn't have to be the bad guy. IMHO that was totally unnecessary; would it really have ruined Scott and Jean's happiness if Madelyne had been jolted back to sanity by her baby's peril and sacrificed herself to save him?

BTW, in Battle World Inferno, Nathan was alive and well; he thought his Goblin Queen Mom was cool.
    I've said before that the villains of that story didn't need to be more complex than Sinister and N'ast.....the overly apostrophied demon with the funny name. Claremont could have used one or both to explain Maddie's more OOC moments that he disagreed with, but he was pissy with Shooter's bad decision and took his frustrations out on Scott, inadvertently setting up a confrontation where only one was going to survive as a viable character. And despite Claremont's desires and attempts to set up his own desired ending, the original character is going to win over the derivative character almost every time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I totally agree. I said something similar once and got trolled hard, but even if Maddie hadn't died at Inferno there was no way she was getting the baby back after trying to kill him. I joked that they would have went straight to TPR (termination of parental rights). I work in the human services/criminal justice field so I know what I speak. I also used to work at a child advocacy center.

Maddie is Cable's birth mother but his real mom is Jean because she cared for him in the X-factor days but also the 12 years she spent in the future with him. Now if they would ever redeem Maddie maybe she can become a second mother to Cable but I don't see that happening. It would be nice for Maddie to have a redemption arc and for Jean to have a "twin sister" but I don't see it happening.

While I am not adopted I have several people close to me (family members) who were and I hate that they always have to deal with those in society telling them their parents aren't their true or real parents. It angers me to no end.

Since Cable is ending soon we will have to see if Scott and Jean are heading for a heartbreak with kid Cable (if he sticks around or goes back to the future or is replaced by the older version).

I'd be surprised if Jean is even on the panel when kid Cable goes back to whatever point in the future he's supposed to be. If she has a line or hugs her son goodbye, though? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It's a What if from several years back.
    No, it's from the previous Cable series, I don't remember the issue but Scott and Jean are in the cover too.