Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Thanks for sharing, nx01a! This is fantastic!

I always think of Hank when they refer to Bones as Dr. McCoy. And vice versa! :)

Funny how those things go. I finally convinced my partner to watch Star Trek (I know… and he calls himself a nerd!) and the other day we were watching the episode of "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and that thing of copying the memories/personality into a new body gave me so many Krakoa vibes!

Goosebumps, really. And not in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    That’s what I meant, his experience doesn’t reflect in adapting to new missions/threats/scenarios and that’s why Scott was giving the orders to the team. But when it came to Ev’s own powers, Scott was gracious enough to ask him, recognizing that Ev, on that regard, had much more experience and probably has explored his powers (its potential and its limits) in countless different ways.

Ev’s case is a weird one. I was talking about that to another poster on some other thread (probably the review of issue #1?), that he does have a lot of experience on certain aspects, but very few on others, exactly because his life, though long, was very limited inside the Vault.

There are certainly many interesting avenues for a writer to explore and I hope Duggan has time to do so, because, if well done, he could become a fan favourite and I’d really like that.

As for the honeymoon phase... yeah, the narrative has to evolve into something more than threat of the week, win, be praised. It has to become more personal and more challenging at some point. I'm not giving it a deadline for it to happen, but I want to see what happens then. And if it doesn't... well, then we'll have another book that will make me lose interest. It's really too soon to tell either way. So far so good. Fingers crossed.
    There's definitely narrative potential for Ev, and I'd love to see both Scott and Jean playing off of him.

I'd like to see one-and-done adventures throughout the run, as well as the serialized stories that will move the narrative forward. Personally, I feel that one/two-issue stories should make more of a comeback.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Most people learn not to. And I can understand why, actually. Most of the times I did that or I acted against my intuition, I came to regret.

Still, I tell myself it’s a risk worth taking. Because sometimes, even if very rarely, you find someone who was worth the risk you took. And if not… well, you’ll get hurt, but you’ll survive. What’s another scar on an old heart anyway?
    I've certainly been burned, but I also think it's worth it.

Well, in X-Force he was sleeping wearing what I assume was a ruby-quartz laced sleeping mask? So I guess his power is still unstoppable… Then again, I still don’t even know how he had two eyes in HoX/PoX when they couldn’t regenerate Domino’s when she lost one of hers.
    Lots of little questions left hanging, I guess they won't be addressed until someone decides that they matter.

Scott is such an endearing character when they’re not trying to make him “interesting”… *sigh* How not to love him?
    I think that book helped some readers see Scott in a new light, maybe appreciate him a little more. I felt grateful to the creative team.

I *always* squeak when I watch it!
    I'd love to have another animated series.

I think there are two movies in that movie. The re-shots really saved the film.

It might be why you feel a bit conflicted about it?
    Oh, I didn't know that, that might be it.

It makes sense that he compares to to dancing because dancing is movement married to music. And music is all about tension and release. That’s what makes a fighting scene interesting if it’s short. If it’s longer, then you also need to add some narrative to it.

Daredevil series hallway fighting scene is a masterpiece.

I’ll never forgive Marvel/Disney for pulling that series out of the air and *not* doing anything with the character in the MCU. The greed!

Anyway, I love that he’s absolutely exhausted in the end and he’s still careful enough not to scare the child and he’s so sweet to him. What a hero!

Man, I love Matt Murdock! <3<3<3<3<3 Probably time to watch this series again for the… sixth time?
    I loved the first and third seasons (second was alright, too much going on), the story and action was superb. The exhaustion and unmasking was excellent attention to detail.

I think Scott picks up lots of the narrative too. Little camera tricks and details and clues that are serving the story. I think Jean is really good at observing the acting and dialogue and when something changes.

Now, would they watch the film with their minds in the same “room” of their psychic rapport? That’d be so cool, because then they could perceive what the other is perceiving real-time.

They might not do it that, though, if one of them is particularly attracted to one of the actors/actresses.
    That would be an interesting application of their rapport, although that would eliminate the need for conversation about the films they watch.

Especially at first, when you don’t know much of the character yourself, or better said, you may know everything about the character, but they’re not familiar to you yet.
    Definitely, knowing a major character decision doesn't mean a writer would know how they would interact with each other.

I love games, but I’ve been trying to spend less time on them. There’s a learning curve to any game worth its salt and you don’t easily take the skills you develop to play them to other areas of your life (not directly at least). Now I’m trying to combine things that entertain me with learning something new, ‘cause you know, I’m old and I have less time to lose.
    I spend most of my time lately reading, but I like to relax with an RPG, doesn't require the coordination other genres do. Plus, you can generally go from one RPG to another, the learning curve is more forgiving. On the other hand, they tend to involve a larger time investment from me, I've finished adventure games within 40 hours, and RPGs sometimes 80+ hours.

Oh, but that’s perfect. Try to evade the monster by jumping off the ground and starting to fly. You may float for a while or end up doing a big, long jump. Try again.
    Haha, I'll have to remember that next time.

Me too. I’d probably infuriate the studio.
    A little care from them will go a long way.

Bucket-Master, using the Force: “You’ll write a story with Scott Summers and Jean Grey set in the Star Wars universe”.

But wearing a bucket instead of a hoodie.
    Fullproof!

I trust you!
    Well, despite my general attitude, I can appreciate how difficult the job must be, I think we all see it.

Then the victory is much yummier! And if it comes with a good musical score, then… Mmmmwah!
    Exactly, that's how I see it too. Regarding this topic, the X-Men haven't felt like underdogs in a while have they?

In a way. But there’s also a certain… innocence? It’s not exactly the word I’m looking for, but it’s something like this. It’s just cool.
    Sense of wonder?

It’s ‘cause I’m verbose… Sorry?
    Oh, no need to apologize.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    X-Men crossed over with Star Trek as well, with the best LOL moment being Nurse Chapel coming into sickbay while Bones and Hank are discussing things.....

"Dr McCoy!?"

....both turn and look at her ...
    Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Fantastic, love that catchphrase.

"I'm a doctor, dammit..."

Thanks for sharing, nx01a! This is fantastic!

I always think of Hank when they refer to Bones as Dr. McCoy. And vice versa!

Funny how those things go. I finally convinced my partner to watch Star Trek (I know… and he calls himself a nerd!) and the other day we were watching the episode of "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and that thing of copying the memories/personality into a new body gave me so many Krakoa vibes!

Goosebumps, really. And not in a way.
    The resurrection protocols are a can of worms that need to be opened - what do they think will happen when the MU at large discovers them? Suppose a humans' mutant family member dies and is brought back, why should/would they accept that the resurrection is genuine?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I've certainly been burned, but I also think it's worth it.
    You survive your own reprimands of calling yourself an idiot as well. :D

It’s not easy to keep a hopeful, innocent heart as you age, but the alternative isn’t nicer.

Lots of little questions left hanging, I guess they won't be addressed until someone decides that they matter.
    About Cyke’s power in specific? It doesn’t matter to them. Bigger stuff doesn’t seem to matter to them either. What can we expect?

I think that book helped some readers see Scott in a new light, maybe appreciate him a little more. I felt grateful to the creative team.
    Some open-minded readers, maybe. But how many are there?

I don’t know. I don’t care, really. We, the fans, got a nice little story about our boy and I’m grateful for it. :)

I'd love to have another animated series.
    Considering the last ones we had… I’m not so sure. Especially because a lot of people watch them and they think they understand the X-Men because of it.

No. X-Men is a comic book. Go read the comics.

Oh, I didn't know that, that might be it.
    I don’t know exactly what was re-shot, but I kinda dislike the first half and I like the second (not necessarily two perfect halves, though, I wasn’t checking the clock). And the reason, for me, is the shift in the tone from being shady and grey to heroic.

Come on, guys. It’s a Star Wars movie. About the rebellion! About how they acquired the plans for the Death Star! About how they died for it! Do I need to tell you why it *must* be heroic?

I loved the first and third seasons (second was alright, too much going on), the story and action was superb. The exhaustion and unmasking was excellent attention to detail.
    I love some stuff of the second season, but I agree with you. I really dislike Elektra, though, which pains me to say because I wanted to love her.

Overall, that show is a must-watch. And I love that DD got such an awesome show to call his. :)

That would be an interesting application of their rapport, although that would eliminate the need for conversation about the films they watch.
    Mmm… would it, really?

Here’s what I’m thinking: when I watch a movie on my own (a movie which doesn’t have a super slow pace), I don’t have time to process everything I’m noticing, right? I think a lot about a movie after I’ve watched it. Many times I find even more reason to like/dislike it then.

If my mind was connected with someone else’s, this wouldn’t change, right?

But regardless, I think they’d enjoy both modes. I think both of them are intellectually curious and open-mind enough to understand very few things are objectively better than others. Most things are a combination of qualities and drawbacks and therefore there’s always something nice to experience. :)

Maybe they prefer to watch some genres in different “rooms” of their shared mind-house. And for others they like to be around each other. Or it’s whatever they feel like it at the day. :)

Definitely, knowing a major character decision doesn't mean a writer would know how they would interact with each other.
    Also, when you’re thinking of future events, sometimes it’s not easy to choose how the character should react. It’s not just about having determined every little thing there is to determine about them. It’s also about having written them enough. The more you write a character, the more you get in their head (or they get in yours).

I spend most of my time lately reading, but I like to relax with an RPG, doesn't require the coordination other genres do. Plus, you can generally go from one RPG to another, the learning curve is more forgiving. On the other hand, they tend to involve a larger time investment from me, I've finished adventure games within 40 hours, and RPGs sometimes 80+ hours.
    Nowadays most of the RPGs are indeed quite relaxing. It used to be that you had to really think of how you’d progress your character’s sheet.

As for the time, yes… if you want to do *all* the side quests, it may take forever. And I can’t resist them!!! Argh! :D

So, yeah, I’m been trying to play less games and focus on other things that are also entertaining. :)

Haha, I'll have to remember that next time.
    That’s the tricky part indeed.

A little care from them will go a long way.
    Yeah. I’m actually a bit anxious about the casting of the X-Men for the MCU.

Fullproof!
    Ready when you are! :D

Well, despite my general attitude, I can appreciate how difficult the job must be, I think we all see it.
    Especially if it does indeed involve more than just dealing with the quality of the storytelling.

Exactly, that's how I see it too. Regarding this topic, the X-Men haven't felt like underdogs in a while have they?
    Conveniently being successful at every turn except when they’re supposed to conveniently fail doesn’t put them in the underdog position. Nope.

Again. I don’t need them to be the underdogs per se. What bothers me is how everything is always so convenient.

Sense of wonder?
    Yes. Even more than the others. Allied with a certain… clueslessness/clumsiness/clunkness, it makes it very endearing. It’s also a celebration of the human spirit - good and bad. :)

There’s a lot to criticize too, of course. But did I mention there’s a Beagle? :)

Oh, no need to apologize.
    There's need. You're just too kind. :)

The resurrection protocols are a can of worms that need to be opened - what do they think will happen when the MU at large discovers them? Suppose a humans' mutant family member dies and is brought back, why should/would they accept that the resurrection is genuine?
    Confession time: I do intermittent fasting, so I often reply to those messages before eating. I guess I was hungry last time.

“Goosebumps, really. And not in a way.” Should have been: “Goosebumps, really. And not in a good way.” Sorry for eating the tasty word. :D

--

Anyway, other than those legal/societal issues, there is a matter of the environmental impact. There are 8 billion humans beings around, but at least they die.

That was, by the way, one of my annoyances when Percy put Jean Grey, of all people, to say this: “What I'm saying is... without death, life is less about me... and more about us.”

Death is an integral part of the cycle of life. You were *the* Phoenix once, girl. Remember? One with the force of life and death? You forgot that *death* is about us? An older generation has to die so the next can live.

I have a friend who wants to be frozen until we can conquer death. He wants all his friends to be frozen too. I told him that even if that’s a possibility at that time, I’m not doing it. When my time is over, I’m moving on - whatever that means. Let new life have its chance. May they be better than we were.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    X-Men crossed over with Star Trek as well, with the best LOL moment being Nurse Chapel coming into sickbay while Bones and Hank are discussing things.....

"Dr McCoy!?"

....both turn and look at her ...
    Here is what I remember about that book. Kirk hitting on Jean. Maybe I should say flirting. It was something like him remarking how beautiful she was and her replying that my husband Cyclops thinks so.

That's how I recall it, anyway. I don't think I read it other than the once when I bought it. I remember Proteus and Gary Mitchell being in the book. Or a version of them. And I think they went back to the planet where Mitchell died.

Incredible Member

It really is that they're using Jott for it that makes it something I can't accept.

Bendis peaked a long time ago, he was being treated like Jack Kirby or John Byrne making their way to DC.

Pretty much everything that could be considered subversive or shocking these days is played out.

Same here. It's not the poly thing period. It's the characters they used it with. Speaking of Kirby , and Stan Lee. When they were pulling crap like AVENEGERS DIASSEMBLED, both Quesada and Bendis would invoke Kirby and Lee. We are just doing what Stan and Jack did. I'm like, like hell you are.

Read a little about ast week's X MEN. Read to me more in line on how we view human mutant relations should be. Now, I'm reading about it out of context. Still, since I complain about them enough, I figured I'd give the devil his due here.

You survive your own reprimands of calling yourself an idiot as well.

It’s not easy to keep a hopeful, innocent heart as you age, but the alternative isn’t nicer.
    Yeah, the alternative is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul
    About Cyke’s power in specific? It doesn’t matter to them. Bigger stuff doesn’t seem to matter to them either. What can we expect?
    Yeah, well... yeah...

Some open-minded readers, maybe. But how many are there?

I don’t know. I don’t care, really. We, the fans, got a nice little story about our boy and I’m grateful for it.
    Maybe, I just think there might've been some readers who didn't have strong opinions on Scott and the book might've had them walking away with a newfound appreciation? There are so many X-Men, I don't have strong opinions about most of them.

Considering the last ones we had… I’m not so sure. Especially because a lot of people watch them and they think they understand the X-Men because of it.

No. X-Men is a comic book. Go read the comics.
    Definitely the X-Men should be experienced at their best, through the comics, but I became aware of the X-Men thanks to the 90's animated series - maybe a new series, with proper care, could do the same for others?

I don’t know exactly what was re-shot, but I kinda dislike the first half and I like the second (not necessarily two perfect halves, though, I wasn’t checking the clock). And the reason, for me, is the shift in the tone from being shady and grey to heroic.

Come on, guys. It’s a Star Wars movie. About the rebellion! About how they acquired the plans for the Death Star! About how they died for it! Do I need to tell you why it *must* be heroic?
    I did enjoy the second half more, in terms of how much it felt like a Star Wars movie.

I love some stuff of the second season, but I agree with you. I really dislike Elektra, though, which pains me to say because I wanted to love her.

Overall, that show is a must-watch. And I love that DD got such an awesome show to call his.
    The Elektra story was definitely the weak link, it's a shame - but that third season? Pulled it back together, and that final confrontation? Perfect.

Mmm… would it, really?

Here’s what I’m thinking: when I watch a movie on my own (a movie which doesn’t have a super slow pace), I don’t have time to process everything I’m noticing, right? I think a lot about a movie after I’ve watched it. Many times I find even more reason to like/dislike it then.

If my mind was connected with someone else’s, this wouldn’t change, right?

But regardless, I think they’d enjoy both modes. I think both of them are intellectually curious and open-mind enough to understand very few things are objectively better than others. Most things are a combination of qualities and drawbacks and therefore there’s always something nice to experience.

Maybe they prefer to watch some genres in different “rooms” of their shared mind-house. And for others they like to be around each other. Or it’s whatever they feel like it at the day.
    Ah okay, I hadn't considered that aspect - I definitely do that as well, either through sitting and processing or even on repeated viewings.

Also, when you’re thinking of future events, sometimes it’s not easy to choose how the character should react. It’s not just about having determined every little thing there is to determine about them. It’s also about having written them enough. The more you write a character, the more you get in their head (or they get in yours).
    Definitely the "develop a life of their own" thing.

Nowadays most of the RPGs are indeed quite relaxing. It used to be that you had to really think of how you’d progress your character’s sheet.

As for the time, yes… if you want to do *all* the side quests, it may take forever. And I can’t resist them!!! Argh!

So, yeah, I’m been trying to play less games and focus on other things that are also entertaining.
    I joke with my friends that if I were the protagonist of a story, I'd be doing every side-quest first; they'd be shouting at me to go slay the demon king and I'd respond that pets need rescuing and deliveries don't make themselves!

Yeah. I’m actually a bit anxious about the casting of the X-Men for the MCU.
    Look, honestly, I feel that the MCU is on a downward slope, although that's as much a thing about superhero films in general. Maybe the merry mutants can turn things around, we'll see.

Ready when you are!
    Travel will be an issue.

Especially if it does indeed involve more than just dealing with the quality of the storytelling.
    To be a fly on the wall in some of those meetings.

Conveniently being successful at every turn except when they’re supposed to conveniently fail doesn’t put them in the underdog position. Nope.

Again. I don’t need them to be the underdogs per se. What bothers me is how everything is always so convenient.
    Yeah, we'll have to see where they go from here.

Yes. Even more than the others. Allied with a certain… clueslessness/clumsiness/clunkness, it makes it very endearing. It’s also a celebration of the human spirit - good and bad.

There’s a lot to criticize too, of course. But did I mention there’s a Beagle?
    A beagle? Say no more.

There's need. You're just too kind.
    I could hardly criticize anyone for being verbose, ya know?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Confession time: I do intermittent fasting, so I often reply to those messages before eating. I guess I was hungry last time.

“Goosebumps, really. And not in a way.” Should have been: “Goosebumps, really. And not in a good way.” Sorry for eating the tasty word.

--

Anyway, other than those legal/societal issues, there is a matter of the environmental impact. There are 8 billion humans beings around, but at least they die.

That was, by the way, one of my annoyances when Percy put Jean Grey, of all people, to say this: “What I'm saying is... without death, life is less about me... and more about us.”

Death is an integral part of the cycle of life. You were *the* Phoenix once, girl. Remember? One with the force of life and death? You forgot that *death* is about us? An older generation has to die so the next can live.

I have a friend who wants to be frozen until we can conquer death. He wants all his friends to be frozen too. I told him that even if that’s a possibility at that time, I’m not doing it. When my time is over, I’m moving on - whatever that means. Let new life have its chance. May they be better than we were.
    Marvel mishandling Jean and her relationship to the Phoenix?

Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    Same here. It's not the poly thing period. It's the characters they used it with. Speaking of Kirby , and Stan Lee. When they were pulling crap like AVENEGERS DIASSEMBLED, both Quesada and Bendis would invoke Kirby and Lee. We are just doing what Stan and Jack did. I'm like, like hell you are.

Read a little about ast week's X MEN. Read to me more in line on how we view human mutant relations should be. Now, I'm reading about it out of context. Still, since I complain about them enough, I figured I'd give the devil his due here.
    Wow, they really said that about Kirby and Lee? Good grief.

X-Men is only two issues in, we'll see how it goes.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Yeah, the alternative is pretty bad.
    A well-protected, cynical heart.

Yeah, well... yeah...
    Duggan said there would be a big story about Scott in X-men, though. Who knows?

Considering that - so far - he can’t seem to write a single X-Men issue without mentioning Emma, maybe she’ll figure out - again - why his power is/isn’t broken.

Maybe, I just think there might've been some readers who didn't have strong opinions on Scott and the book might've had them walking away with a newfound appreciation? There are so many X-Men, I don't have strong opinions about most of them.
    Can any established fan not have a strong opinion on Scott? He’s such a prominent character... All right, I guess it’s possible… But I’d say not many people? I think this works better for new readers, really. And there are always new readers.

I don’t know. I’ll agree with you because I can’t really argue otherwise and I like your optimism better! :)

Definitely the X-Men should be experienced at their best, through the comics, but I became aware of the X-Men thanks to the 90's animated series - maybe a new series, with proper care, could do the same for others?
    I think the 90s series is a gem that can’t be replicated. And that’s despite the depiction of Jean, about which I, obviously, have a ton to criticize. But that tells you how good everything else is, even though it’s very Wolverine-centric.

If there is a new cartoon/anime, I’ll watch, of course, and hope we get something amazing. But I just don’t trust that’s the case because 2 of my favourite X-characters are very polarising and in all the cartoons/animes they were only portrayed somewhat well, at the same time, in Evolution. And even there, they’re still quite different from their 616 versions. At least in Evolution, they’re somewhat truthful to the essence of the characters and I can appreciate it.

I did enjoy the second half more, in terms of how much it felt like a Star Wars movie.
    Me too. And that’s why I suspect those were some of the scenes that were re-shot.

The Elektra story was definitely the weak link, it's a shame - but that third season? Pulled it back together, and that final confrontation? Perfect.
    Elektra’s personality was… bubbly… Ugh…

For the third season they used many aspects of Born Again, but the final confrontation echoes, in a way, Last Rites.

^^ This is what true strength looks like. What a hero! :)

And the following... the explosion, the passion... let the devil out, dear sir! :)

“You don’t get to destroy who I am! You’ll go back to prison! And you’ll live the rest of your miserable life in a cage! Knowing you’ll never have Vanessa. That this city rejected you. It beat you. I beat you!”

Matt Murdock, you devil! The nerdgasms were earth-shattering! :D

Well… actually, they didn’t last very long. Because, squeaking as I was, I asked my partner: “Do you get it now?”. And he, totally team Punisher, replied: “No”.

Yep, I can always count on him to throw a bucket of cold water on my enthusiasm! :D

Ah okay, I hadn't considered that aspect - I definitely do that as well, either through sitting and processing or even on repeated viewings.
    Exactly. So I think they’d still want to chat about it.

Definitely the "develop a life of their own" thing.
    Yep. And that’s when the writer has to be careful not to get too confident.

I joke with my friends that if I were the protagonist of a story, I'd be doing every side-quest first; they'd be shouting at me to go slay the demon king and I'd respond that pets need rescuing and deliveries don't make themselves!
    Yes! Me too!

When my brother was playing FF VII, there was a moment where a meteor was actually going to hit, but he was breeding Chocobos instead of doing something about it! :D

Look, honestly, I feel that the MCU is on a downward slope, although that's as much a thing about superhero films in general. Maybe the merry mutants can turn things around, we'll see.
    If they do what they did in the very beginning of the very successful franchise: try their best to adapt the comics and forget about the rest, I don’t see why not. The X-Men stories and characters are *way* cooler than the Avengers.

Travel will be an issue. :p
    Tell me about… Stupid pandemic. I really need to visit my family. :(

To be a fly on the wall in some of those meetings.
    The challenge would be not to scream at them. Even if it’s a buzzing tiny scream! :D

Yeah, we'll have to see where they go from here.
    I don’t know where. But it’s likely that it will be convenient. :P

A beagle? Say no more.
    Captain Archer and Porthos:

I really have to watch the series again. ‘Cause when I did it was on cable tv and it was that mess.

I could hardly criticize anyone for being verbose, ya know?
    Are you holding back on me, then? ‘Cause you don’t write that much, actually. :)

Marvel mishandling Jean and her relationship to the Phoenix?

Imagine actually thinking about how a character should feel about stuff based on what they've lived instead of silly descriptions of what a character should be like.

"Mmm, let's see, I need a character to be my mouthpiece about resurrections. Which is the most caring one in my cast so it comes out as a nice comment? Let's see... everyone is a cynic, a computer or a sociopath, so it has to be Jean. She's supposed to be selfless, right? So let's make it about selflessness. But, you know, also about mutantkind in specific. We're ignoring X-Men: Red anyway. There. Awesome. Nice and selfless. The fans will salivate".

Mmm... I guess I'm bitter today. Apologies if my frustration made it "sound" too bitter.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 08-10-2021 at 01:05 AM.

A well-protected, cynical heart.
    Well, when you put it that way...

Duggan said there would be a big story about Scott in X-men, though. Who knows?

Considering that - so far - he can’t seem to write a single X-Men issue without mentioning Emma, maybe she’ll figure out - again - why his power is/isn’t broken.
    It seems that Scott's previous body, which is in possession of Orchis (right?), will factor in the narrative. I could absolutely see that, Scott's conversation with Urich, and Urich himself playing a major role.

Can any established fan not have a strong opinion on Scott? He’s such a prominent character... All right, I guess it’s possible… But I’d say not many people? I think this works better for new readers, really. And there are always new readers.

I don’t know. I’ll agree with you because I can’t really argue otherwise and I like your optimism better!
    Oh yeah, new readers are always fantastic, and that book makes for a pretty good primer.

I think the 90s series is a gem that can’t be replicated. And that’s despite the depiction of Jean, about which I, obviously, have a ton to criticize. But that tells you how good everything else is, even though it’s very Wolverine-centric.

If there is a new cartoon/anime, I’ll watch, of course, and hope we get something amazing. But I just don’t trust that’s the case because 2 of my favourite X-characters are very polarising and in all the cartoons/animes they were only portrayed somewhat well, at the same time, in Evolution. And even there, they’re still quite different from their 616 versions. At least in Evolution, they’re somewhat truthful to the essence of the characters and I can appreciate it.
    I've quite had enough of Wolverine-centric anything.

I'd like to see a series adapt large storylines across one season per, like Astonishing X-Men for one or something.

Me too. And that’s why I suspect those were some of the scenes that were re-shot.
    There was a lot of noise around all of the Disney Star Wars films, I stayed away from it, so I don't know what the consensus is about most of them, but I remember liking Rogue One for what it was.

Elektra’s personality was… bubbly… Ugh…

For the third season they used many aspects of Born Again, but the final confrontation echoes, in a way, Last Rites.

^^ This is what true strength looks like. What a hero!

And the following... the explosion, the passion... let the devil out, dear sir!

“You don’t get to destroy who I am! You’ll go back to prison! And you’ll live the rest of your miserable life in a cage! Knowing you’ll never have Vanessa. That this city rejected you. It beat you. I beat you!”

Matt Murdock, you devil! The nerdgasms were earth-shattering!

Well… actually, they didn’t last very long. Because, squeaking as I was, I asked my partner: “Do you get it now?”. And he, totally team Punisher, replied: “No”.

Yep, I can always count on him to throw a bucket of cold water on my enthusiasm!
    Eh, Punisher... jk, jk

I think that panel and that scene show us Matt's devout belief so well - I think he understood that if he allowed Kingpin to change him, that not only would Kingpin win, so would the Devil. Matt masters himself, and the victory is cathartic.

Exactly. So I think they’d still want to chat about it.
    Those conversations are the chief reason I started movie night with my family and friends, we just watched Whiplash.

Yep. And that’s when the writer has to be careful not to get too confident.
    Especially in a medium like cape comics, with so many different creative teams throughout the years - and that there's such a heavy collaborative element too.

Yes! Me too!

When my brother was playing FF VII, there was a moment where a meteor was actually going to hit, but he was breeding Chocobos instead of doing something about it!
    Gosh, those FF games were full of time sinks. VII is great,

If they do what they did in the very beginning of the very successful franchise: try their best to adapt the comics and forget about the rest, I don’t see why not. The X-Men stories and characters are *way* cooler than the Avengers.
    Overall, yes, although I do like some of the Avengers a lot, like Hawkeye and Captain America.

Tell me about… Stupid pandemic. I really need to visit my family.
    Thankfully my family all live in the same city and all shots have been taken care of.

The challenge would be not to scream at them. Even if it’s a buzzing tiny scream!
    My silence would be loud.

I don’t know where. But it’s likely that it will be convenient.
    If we get one more one-and-done adventure with an after-school special ending, I'll be fine. Another one after that? Okay, lets get some variety...

Captain Archer and Porthos:

I really have to watch the series again. ‘Cause when I did it was on cable tv and it was that mess.
    I haven't had cable in years.

Are you holding back on me, then? ‘Cause you don’t write that much, actually.
    I've tried for a long time to trim down most of what I write, but in-person? I am very talkative. I've had conversations with family and friends that last for hours, and I do a decent amount of the heavy-lifting.

Imagine actually thinking about how a character should feel about stuff based on what they've lived instead of silly descriptions of what a character should be like.

"Mmm, let's see, I need a character to be my mouthpiece about resurrections. Which is the most caring one in my cast so it comes out as a nice comment? Let's see... everyone is a cynic, a computer or a sociopath, so it has to be Jean. She's supposed to be selfless, right? So let's make it about selflessness. But, you know, also about mutantkind in specific. We're ignoring X-Men: Red anyway. There. Awesome. Nice and selfless. The fans will salivate".

Mmm... I guess I'm bitter today. Apologies if my frustration made it "sound" too bitter.
    Convenience continuity.

I wouldn't say bitter, I'd say frustrated, and I can relate.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

This popped up in my feed so I thought I'd share.

I was Reading (again) The Dark Phoenix saga I forgot How cool is the sequence when the X-men go to Hellfire's ball In this very chic disguise haha
    Jean was so beautiful, I have to draw this lol

well....
    Jean and Scott entering the hellfire ball
    -lukas werneck

Well, when you put it that way...
    It’s a trade-off and a choice, whether people realise it or not.

It seems that Scott's previous body, which is in possession of Orchis (right?), will factor in the narrative. I could absolutely see that, Scott's conversation with Urich, and Urich himself playing a major role.
    I just hope Duggan doesn’t make Ben swallow the story and use his actions towards DD as excuse for it. There’s a huge difference between hiding the ability to ressurect people and what it means to the planet and the secret identity of one man who actively, selflessly helped the city, and whose life would be ruined if he published the story.

Don’t destroy Ben Urich! He’s one of my favourite Marvel characters!

I mean it. I’m not exaggerating. I really love him.

Oh yeah, new readers are always fantastic, and that book makes for a pretty good primer.
    May I interest you in the leader of the X-Men, neophyte? He happens to be a tridimensional, relatable, admirable guy, with lots of yummy flaws and a good amount of self-awareness. :D

I've quite had enough of Wolverine-centric anything.
    Me too. But TAS isn’t so bad if you skip all the Wolverine solo episodes.

I'd like to see a series adapt large storylines across one season per, like Astonishing X-Men for one or something.
    They actually animated the comics of Whedon’s Astonishing. Did you watch it?

There was a lot of noise around all of the Disney Star Wars films, I stayed away from it, so I don't know what the consensus is about most of them, but I remember liking Rogue One for what it was.
    I still haven’t watched anything after “The Last Jedi”. That’s how much that movie killed the franchise to me. One day, I’ll do it. But I just don’t have it in me yet.

Eh, Punisher... jk, jk
    My partner has no problem with characters who kill evil people. So, he really doesn’t get Daredevil.

It’s infuriating. If we ever break up, that’s going to be one of the things listed as motive: “he doesn’t love Matt Murdock as much as I do”. Also, “he makes fun of Jean fainting in cartoons and jokes about it even when we're not watching them just to anger me”. :D

I think that panel and that scene show us Matt's devout belief so well - I think he understood that if he allowed Kingpin to change him, that not only would Kingpin win, so would the Devil. Matt masters himself, and the victory is cathartic.
    Yes!

Even if his state of mind is so different (different stories and circumstances), the victory isn’t just a victory over the enemy: it’s complete victory because the villain doesn’t get to change him. He denies him that victory too: Matt remains himself. :)

I love him! Love him! Love him! :D

Those conversations are the chief reason I started movie night with my family and friends, we just watched Whiplash.
    Is it good? I haven’t watched it yet.

Some suggestions for you guys, from the top of my head, of not too old movies: The Jungle Book (2016), Her (2013), Wall-e (2008), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Primer (2004), Hero (2002).

If you do give Hero a try, please, be patience on the first 25 min or so. It gets *much* better.

Especially in a medium like cape comics, with so many different creative teams throughout the years - and that there's such a heavy collaborative element too.
    In this case, it’s even more important indeed, because the character isn’t yours and you shouldn’t try to make it yours. Respect their history so they can continue to mean and be important to the readers they have already touched.

Gosh, those FF games were full of time sinks. VII is great
    I haven’t actually played them. It’s still one of my brother’s favourites, though. And I remember helping him breed the chocobos and laughing because of the meteor in the sky. :D

Overall, yes, although I do like some of the Avengers a lot, like Hawkeye and Captain America.
    Yeah. There are some great characters. But the X-Men, for me, are unbeatable in terms of character quality. :)

Thankfully my family all live in the same city and all shots have been taken care of.
    My family is all over the place and most people have got, at least, one dose of the vaccine. But I can tell you from our experience: it doesn’t mean much… :'(

Last time I could travel to visit my family was in April 2019. I haven’t met my niece who was born after that and now, more than ever before, I’d give anything to do be able to do it safely. :'(

If we get one more one-and-done adventure with an after-school special ending, I'll be fine. Another one after that? Okay, lets get some variety...
    We’re supposed to get two special stories now. Let’s see how it goes.

I haven't had cable in years.
    Over here we kinda have to get it. But I haven’t watched it in… more than 10 years. I was watching Enterprise back then, when it was new. The thing is, not living in the US, I didn’t have the cable channel that actually aired it over there. The episodes were bought and aired on another local channel which made a mess of the order and even time where the series was supposed to be on.

So, yeah, I really need to sit down and watch it in the proper order. It’s on Netflix so I have no excuse, really. :)

I've tried for a long time to trim down most of what I write, but in-person? I am very talkative. I've had conversations with family and friends that last for hours, and I do a decent amount of the heavy-lifting.
    Nice. I can talk to the strong silent types too, but it’s always more lively when the other person is talkative! :)

Convenience continuity.

I wouldn't say bitter, I'd say frustrated, and I can relate.
    Year in, year out, we keep hoping things will improve, but nope… I try to remain positive and focus on the good things, but that gets tiring too.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 08-12-2021 at 03:12 AM.