Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    This popped up in my feed so I thought I'd share.

I never get tired of seeing this piece of art. What a ridiculously beautiful couple. They look mesmerising in this picture! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for sharing. :)

Once we have some more new panels I'll add them to the Krakoan file and re-upload. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    ItÂ’s a trade-off and a choice, whether people realise it or not.
    A lot of people are content to let things go on their own, not realizing that's also a choice.

I just hope Duggan doesnÂ’t make Ben swallow the story and use his actions towards DD as excuse for it. ThereÂ’s a huge difference between hiding the ability to ressurect people and what it means to the planet and the secret identity of one man who actively, selflessly helped the city, and whose life would be ruined if he published the story.

DonÂ’t destroy Ben Urich! HeÂ’s one of my favourite Marvel characters!

I mean it. IÂ’m not exaggerating. I really love him.
    These characters need to be treated with more care.

May I interest you in the leader of the X-Men, neophyte? He happens to be a tridimensional, relatable, admirable guy, with lots of yummy flaws and a good amount of self-awareness.
    My non-comics friends liked it, one of them has even started picking up some old trades thanks to that book (and others).

Me too. But TAS isnÂ’t so bad if you skip all the Wolverine solo episodes.
    I'll have to rewatch it soon, I don't recall many episodes.

They actually animated the comics of WhedonÂ’s Astonishing. Did you watch it?
    I heard about it, wasn't it motion comics or something? Or was it full-on animation?

I still haven’t watched anything after “The Last Jedi”. That’s how much that movie killed the franchise to me. One day, I’ll do it. But I just don’t have it in me yet.
    I had serious issues with that film too, but I thought there were a few issues even with TFA - nothing that seemed insurmountable to me, but TLJ pretty much painted everyone into a corner.

My partner has no problem with characters who kill evil people. So, he really doesnÂ’t get Daredevil.

It’s infuriating. If we ever break up, that’s going to be one of the things listed as motive: “he doesn’t love Matt Murdock as much as I do”. Also, “he makes fun of Jean fainting in cartoons and jokes about it even when we're not watching them just to anger me”.
    I take a character for who they are, so I don't mind those types either, but my preference is for the true-blue heroes.

Yes!

Even if his state of mind is so different (different stories and circumstances), the victory isnÂ’t just a victory over the enemy: itÂ’s complete victory because the villain doesnÂ’t get to change him. He denies him that victory too: Matt remains himself.

I love him! Love him! Love him!
    It's a perfect encapsulation of the character, and using it as the conclusion to the battle between Daredevil and Kingpin (and the series overall) was fantastic. I've convinced my mom to watch the show, I'm sure she's gonna love it.

Is it good? I havenÂ’t watched it yet.

Some suggestions for you guys, from the top of my head, of not too old movies: The Jungle Book (2016), Her (2013), Wall-e (2008), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Primer (2004), Hero (2002).

If you do give Hero a try, please, be patience on the first 25 min or so. It gets *much* better.
    It was a good film, I liked the ending. Of your suggestions, I've only watched Wall-e (which I liked) and I've heard of the rest except for Primer. I think we're watching War Games next.

In this case, itÂ’s even more important indeed, because the character isnÂ’t yours and you shouldnÂ’t try to make it yours. Respect their history so they can continue to mean and be important to the readers they have already touched.
    Personal perspective isn't a bad thing, but the editor must make sure that the narrative remains true to continuity, the character's and the comics.

I havenÂ’t actually played them. ItÂ’s still one of my brotherÂ’s favourites, though. And I remember helping him breed the chocobos and laughing because of the meteor in the sky.
    I think it's funny in a morbid way that the civilians are worrying about a suspended meteor in their planet's atmosphere while the heroes are breeding and racing chocobos.

So RPG's and fighting games are my favorite genres, I would love an X-Men game of either type.

Yeah. There are some great characters. But the X-Men, for me, are unbeatable in terms of character quality.
    Indisputable I think. With as large a cast as the X-Books have, they have many fully-realized characters, they could absolutely exist in a separate universe from the MU.

My family is all over the place and most people have got, at least, one dose of the vaccine. But I can tell you from our experience: it doesnÂ’t mean muchÂ…

Last time I could travel to visit my family was in April 2019. I havenÂ’t met my niece who was born after that and now, more than ever before, IÂ’d give anything to do be able to do it safely.
    I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it, I hope your situation improves soon.

WeÂ’re supposed to get two special stories now. LetÂ’s see how it goes.
    Yeah, I think this will be a bigger statement than the first two issues.

Over here we kinda have to get it. But I havenÂ’t watched it inÂ… more than 10 years. I was watching Enterprise back then, when it was new. The thing is, not living in the US, I didnÂ’t have the cable channel that actually aired it over there. The episodes were bought and aired on another local channel which made a mess of the order and even time where the series was supposed to be on.

So, yeah, I really need to sit down and watch it in the proper order. ItÂ’s on Netflix so I have no excuse, really.
    Because of television licenses or something?

When I did have cable I used DVR for anything that was airing at an inconvenient timeslot - in fact, I think I watched X-Men: First Class that way.

Nice. I can talk to the strong silent types too, but itÂ’s always more lively when the other person is talkative!
    I love seeing where I align and differ with others on any number of things. I'm good with the silent-types too, generally my energy level agrees with that but when I get going, I'm on a roll.

Year in, year out, we keep hoping things will improve, but nopeÂ… I try to remain positive and focus on the good things, but that gets tiring too.
    Sometimes we need a break. It's why I read any number of other things, or play a videogame, or draw, or watch some comfort-food-shows.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    A lot of people are content to let things go on their own, not realizing that's also a choice.
    Certain things about our personalities are really hard to change. It takes years and lots of dedication to improve.

But many things are actually easy. We just don’t know that because we think they’d be too difficult and we don’t even give it try.

These characters need to be treated with more care.
    Ben is too precious to serve as an endorsement for Krakoa. That data page in #1 was okay, but it also worried me.

My non-comics friends liked it, one of them has even started picking up some old trades thanks to that book (and others).
    You actually try to get them into comics? I try to keep them away! :D

I'll have to rewatch it soon, I don't recall many episodes.
    Overall the series is awesome, despite being Wolvie-centric and having a horrible portrayal of Jean. But the X-Men feel like the X-Men. And I miss that fun, lovable, tender-hearted Hank so much it makes me want to cry.

I heard about it, wasn't it motion comics or something? Or was it full-on animation?
    Yep. That’s what I meant. They used the panels of the actual comics and had voice actors reading the dialogue.

I think they did something like that for Guardian Devil (or just had voice actors reading it?) too, but I didn’t have the heart to watch it.

I had serious issues with that film too, but I thought there were a few issues even with TFA - nothing that seemed insurmountable to me, but TLJ pretty much painted everyone into a corner.
    I’ll watch it at some point… It can’t be worse than the second.

By the way, the other day I watched another original Star Trek episode that gave me a weird Krakoa vibe. This time, it was “This Side of Paradise”. :D

I take a character for who they are, so I don't mind those types either, but my preference is for the true-blue heroes.
    The Punisher bores me because there isn’t much internal conflict for him. I did like him in Daredevil series, though.

I do like anti-heroes, if they’re interesting characters. But I prefer the heroic types. I can’t resist them. :)

It's a perfect encapsulation of the character, and using it as the conclusion to the battle between Daredevil and Kingpin (and the series overall) was fantastic. I've convinced my mom to watch the show, I'm sure she's gonna love it.
    My mother likes the series. She just gets tired of the fight-scenes but she endures them because she enjoys the rest of the show.

I think it’s really cool that she does, because he’s my favourite hero and I would never be able to get her to read the comics, so… that’s the best I can hope for. :)

It was a good film, I liked the ending. Of your suggestions, I've only watched Wall-e (which I liked) and I've heard of the rest except for Primer. I think we're watching War Games next.
    I watched War Games not too long ago. :)

Are you watching those films with kids? Because some of the ones I suggested wouldn’t be age appropriate.

Primer is a… well, don’t watch it with people who don’t like to think and try to talk about the film before you go to the internet to check how stuff works. I don’t want to spoil anything, so it’s all I’m saying. :)

Personal perspective isn't a bad thing, but the editor must make sure that the narrative remains true to continuity, the character's and the comics.
    Precisely, my friend. Respecting continuity (the big things, not the obscure details) is what keeps people reading and buying the comics.

It’s not rocket-science, really. It should be in their interest to do so.

It reminds me of the time-displaced O5. Now, saying they came from Earth 617 is a retcon I'd welcome. You could explain that adult Scott almost dies because of teen Scott because of some quantum-BS effect. As for them having their memories, well, Jean has Madelyne's already. What's the problem with it? :D

I think it's funny in a morbid way that the civilians are worrying about a suspended meteor in their planet's atmosphere while the heroes are breeding and racing chocobos.

So RPG's and fighting games are my favorite genres, I would love an X-Men game of either type.
    Not all civilians were worrying. Lots of people were at the chocobo racing: organising, racing or watching the events! :D

I love fighting games too! But our last video game console was a Wii! :D

Indisputable I think. With as large a cast as the X-Books have, they have many fully-realized characters, they could absolutely exist in a separate universe from the MU.
    They definitely could. But it would be cooler if they were in the shared universe. The problem is that some of the original Avengers were already killed/retired so they probably won’t interact anymore. :(

I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it, I hope your situation improves soon.
    Doubtful… :(

But thank you. It means a lot to me that you "said" that.

Yeah, I think this will be a bigger statement than the first two issues.
    Honestly, I’m going to those stories not expecting anything from them. I don’t see any big change in the horizon. They’ll still milk this Krakoan cow for a long while.

But a little change of pacing is welcome at this point. Most of the “older” books feel stagnant.

Because of television licenses or something?

When I did have cable I used DVR for anything that was airing at an inconvenient timeslot - in fact, I think I watched X-Men: First Class that way.
    We need to have cable because, over here, you need to pay for the tv channels. None of them are free. We have the smallest possible package that comes with the internet access and the telephone line, but we rarely watch cable or use the land line phone.

Back in my home country, though, the channels that bought those series would usually keep changing their schedule and sometimes I wouldn’t know until it was too late. I think there might have been problems with subtitles and mid-season breaks too because sometimes they’d start repeating episodes for weeks, then they’d go back to the new ones and I’d miss them… It was a mess.

I love seeing where I align and differ with others on any number of things. I'm good with the silent-types too, generally my energy level agrees with that but when I get going, I'm on a roll.
    Me too. I think a lot about stuff on my own, but I like to get different perspectives.

The silent types tend to like talking to me because I can talk for both parties. :D

But now that I think about it, after a while, they tend to get quite talkative themselves (well, for their standards). :D

Does it happen to you too?

Sometimes we need a break. It's why I read any number of other things, or play a videogame, or draw, or watch some comfort-food-shows.
    You manage to watch the comfort-food-shows and not want to eat them? :D
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 08-16-2021 at 02:33 AM.

Certain things about our personalities are really hard to change. It takes years and lots of dedication to improve.

But many things are actually easy. We just don’t know that because we think they’d be too difficult and we don’t even give it try.
    And that's true for all sorts of things.

Ben is too precious to serve as an endorsement for Krakoa. That data page in #1 was okay, but it also worried me.
    Ben is definitely gonna break Krakoa wide open right?

You actually try to get them into comics? I try to keep them away!
    Well, not monthly books, mostly complete stories or graphic novels. I love them too much to expose them to this suffereing

Actually, that reminds me, I've explained numerous things to them about comics that leave them confused and exasperated, it's a little funny.

Overall the series is awesome, despite being Wolvie-centric and having a horrible portrayal of Jean. But the X-Men feel like the X-Men. And I miss that fun, lovable, tender-hearted Hank so much it makes me want to cry.
    Hank is yet another character that Marvel is denigrating, and for what?

Yep. That’s what I meant. They used the panels of the actual comics and had voice actors reading the dialogue.

I think they did something like that for Guardian Devil (or just had voice actors reading it?) too, but I didn’t have the heart to watch it.
    That sort of stuff is fine too, but I think it doesn't quite work as well as either comics or animation.

I’ll watch it at some point… It can’t be worse than the second.

By the way, the other day I watched another original Star Trek episode that gave me a weird Krakoa vibe. This time, it was “This Side of Paradise”.
    I stopped watching or keeping tabs on Star Wars stuff.

Okay, you've piqued my interest, what's the episode about? Unless you think I should just watch it?

The Punisher bores me because there isn’t much internal conflict for him. I did like him in Daredevil series, though.

I do like anti-heroes, if they’re interesting characters. But I prefer the heroic types. I can’t resist them.
    Internal conflict is the key ingredient, you gotta have it. Season two of Daredevil really should've been pretty much just Punisher stuff, that narrative played well against Matt.

True blue heroes are the best, they're underappreciated.

My mother likes the series. She just gets tired of the fight-scenes but she endures them because she enjoys the rest of the show.

I think it’s really cool that she does, because he’s my favourite hero and I would never be able to get her to read the comics, so… that’s the best I can hope for.
    Appreciation of the character is great, even through live action. While I was introduced to Marvel and DC through animated series, my dad actually bought me my first comic books because he knew I liked the characters, he even flipped through them (he can't read much English though) and thought that they were neat. Oddly enough, my mom has begun watching anime, and all sorts of shows and films, including the MCU stuff.

I watched War Games not too long ago.

Are you watching those films with kids? Because some of the ones I suggested wouldn’t be age appropriate.

Primer is a… well, don’t watch it with people who don’t like to think and try to talk about the film before you go to the internet to check how stuff works. I don’t want to spoil anything, so it’s all I’m saying.
    Nah, I have separate films I watch with my nieces and nephew; I think the most recent film I watched with them was... Frozen? For the like the millionth time, the girls outnumbered the boys.

Precisely, my friend. Respecting continuity (the big things, not the obscure details) is what keeps people reading and buying the comics.

It’s not rocket-science, really. It should be in their interest to do so.

It reminds me of the time-displaced O5. Now, saying they came from Earth 617 is a retcon I'd welcome. You could explain that adult Scott almost dies because of teen Scott because of some quantum-BS effect. As for them having their memories, well, Jean has Madelyne's already. What's the problem with it?
    As a concept, pretty basic, but the way they were used (to shame Scott) and how their narrative developed as well as how long they stuck around really soured me on them. I welcome your retcon idea.

Not all civilians were worrying. Lots of people were at the chocobo racing: organising, racing or watching the events!

I love fighting games too! But our last video game console was a Wii!
    I wonder if they knew? Those ********game businesses like to mess with your perception of time.

I have a handful of consoles, I just hoard things.

They definitely could. But it would be cooler if they were in the shared universe. The problem is that some of the original Avengers were already killed/retired so they probably won’t interact anymore.
    Any fun interactions in mind?

Doubtful…

But thank you. It means a lot to me that you "said" that.
    You're welcome,

Honestly, I’m going to those stories not expecting anything from them. I don’t see any big change in the horizon. They’ll still milk this Krakoan cow for a long while.

But a little change of pacing is welcome at this point. Most of the “older” books feel stagnant.
    Certainly nothing on the scale of reframing Krakoa will happen, but I think we'll get a better grasp of how Duggan will be moving forward.

Nothing about the older books seemed enticing to me, and even Hickman's work regularly disappointed me.

We need to have cable because, over here, you need to pay for the tv channels. None of them are free. We have the smallest possible package that comes with the internet access and the telephone line, but we rarely watch cable or use the land line phone.

Back in my home country, though, the channels that bought those series would usually keep changing their schedule and sometimes I wouldn’t know until it was too late. I think there might have been problems with subtitles and mid-season breaks too because sometimes they’d start repeating episodes for weeks, then they’d go back to the new ones and I’d miss them… It was a mess.
    Yikes, sounds like a nightmare trying to keep up with a program. I really can't complain, the worst I had to deal with was having basic cable for a year or two - we watched mostly The Simpsons and Seinfeld.

Me too. I think a lot about stuff on my own, but I like to get different perspectives.

The silent types tend to like talking to me because I can talk for both parties.

But now that I think about it, after a while, they tend to get quite talkative themselves (well, for their standards).

Does it happen to you too?
    I thought about it, and it does happen a little. I'd like to think I inspired them to engage, but maybe they just got tired of hearing my voice?

You manage to watch the comfort-food-shows and not want to eat them?
    I have excellent digestion, but I'm not sure even I could handle that.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

And that's true for all sorts of things.
    Yep.

Ben is definitely gonna break Krakoa wide open right?
    X-men #1, data page (written by Ben): “(...)If the mutants have some grand design to take over the planet, they're doing it with kindness, and we can always use more of that.(...)”.

Taking over the planet doesn't seem to be a problem with Ben. Will he expose what is happening in Krakoa? It's all done with kindness, after all.

Well, not monthly books, mostly complete stories or graphic novels. I love them too much to expose them to this suffereing :p

Actually, that reminds me, I've explained numerous things to them about comics that leave them confused and exasperated, it's a little funny.
    I know! :D

Okay, that actually made me laugh! Thank you! :D

Hank is yet another character that Marvel is denigrating, and for what?
    They need villains and they keep redeeming them. So they need to push a hero to a villain role every now or then. Or worse: push a former villain back into the villain role without actually exploring this twist and what it means. Then, they'll simply rejoin the heroes 'cause why not?

That sort of stuff is fine too, but I think it doesn't quite work as well as either comics or animation.
    Agreed. It’s not better at all. It’s interesting just because it’s not something we see often.

I stopped watching or keeping tabs on Star Wars stuff.

Okay, you've piqued my interest, what's the episode about? Unless you think I should just watch it?
    You mean the Star Trek episode?

It's a good episode that I don't think you'd regret watching. But it's not a must-watch, I think. I'll give you the spoilers in case you don't feel like spending some 40 min of your life to watch something that reminds you of comics you're not enjoying.

Spoilers *** The crew goes visit a colony expecting to find their colonists dead because of a certain type of radiation. They’re not dead, though. They’re in perfect health. They’ve even regrown organs they had had surgically removed before.

Kirk has the orders to evacuate them, though, but they refuse to do so. In fact, they start to expose the crew to the spores of a plant.

Those spores protect them from the radiation and give them perfect health. They also become totally complacent and happy. Even Spock loses his cold rationality and becomes able to “love”.

Reminds you of some place?

Internal conflict is the key ingredient, you gotta have it. Season two of Daredevil really should've been pretty much just Punisher stuff, that narrative played well against Matt.

True blue heroes are the best, they're underappreciated.
    They are. They’re often seen as boring or perfect or whatever. Some are like that indeed. But that’s not because they’re heroes: it’s because they’re bad characters.

Good characters are tridimensional, regardless of being a hero, an anti-hero, an antagonist or a full-blown villain.

Appreciation of the character is great, even through live action. While I was introduced to Marvel and DC through animated series, my dad actually bought me my first comic books because he knew I liked the characters, he even flipped through them (he can't read much English though) and thought that they were neat. Oddly enough, my mom has begun watching anime, and all sorts of shows and films, including the MCU stuff.
    Sometimes I think it’s in the “mum programming code” that they need mainstream permission to like things. :D

Jokes aside, my mum tried to give stuff I like a try. So, knowing how crazy I am about DD, she watched it and she really liked it. Apart from the fight scenes, that is. :)

I’m happy your dad got you your first comic book, though. That’s a memory I know you’ll cherish forever. :)

Nah, I have separate films I watch with my nieces and nephew; I think the most recent film I watched with them was... Frozen? For the like the millionth time, the girls outnumbered the boys.
    Oh, poor you…

I don’t really get why Frozen was so big. I mean, it’s an okay movie. But I like others so much more: the animation, the music, the story… Really, in every aspect I like other movies better.

I’ll try to keep a mental note (or maybe even write it down), if I remember about another film that provides food for thought and discussion. :)

As a concept, pretty basic, but the way they were used (to shame Scott) and how their narrative developed as well as how long they stuck around really soured me on them. I welcome your retcon idea.
    The portrayals of the time-displaced O5, for me, is just abhorrent. I just want it to be stated that those are not the 616 characters. Because, when you consider their original characterization, those teens are simply not the same people. But they can be AU versions of the O5 and keep all the feats and all the memories and all the stuff.

Is it too much to ask?

I wonder if they knew? Those ********game businesses like to mess with your perception of time.

I have a handful of consoles, I just hoard things.
    Uh… the meteor looks really big in the sky. They must have known. :D

Video game consoles and controllers end up occupying so much space, we realised we didn’t play it often enough to justify getting a new one so we still have a Wii that we don’t play. :D

Any fun interactions in mind?
    Peter and Bobby just have to meet and become friends! :D

Ororo and Thor need to go on a "who can strike stronger lightning" competition. :D

Logan and Thor need to go on a "who can drink more beer" competition. :D

Scott and Steve have to play chess. :D

And if we can include the Guardians, Jean and Groot have to take a stroll in Central Park. :D

Those are, of course, jokes that could fit in the MCU. But any kind of friendly interaction between the heroes would make me happy, even if they’re not funny. :)

Certainly nothing on the scale of reframing Krakoa will happen, but I think we'll get a better grasp of how Duggan will be moving forward.

Nothing about the older books seemed enticing to me, and even Hickman's work regularly disappointed me.
    The news that Hickman will be leaving gives more credit to my belief that they’re going to milk this cow as long as possible.

I now actually think Inferno will bring more stuff than I expected, since it’s the last change Hickman will have to implement some of the things he had planned. But it will likely be very watered down, so not to shake the tree too much.

Mmm… I didn’t intend the pun, but I’ll take it. :D

Hickman’s writing (for the X-corner of the MU) also felt weak to me on most occasions. His X-Men book was… well... "disappointing" is probably a good way to put it and remain somewhat neutral.

Yikes, sounds like a nightmare trying to keep up with a program. I really can't complain, the worst I had to deal with was having basic cable for a year or two - we watched mostly The Simpsons and Seinfeld.
    I tried Netflix because of DD series and never went back. Really. Being able to watch a series in the actual order it’s intended to be watched, at a time that is convenient to you? Awesome.

I thought about it, and it does happen a little. I'd like to think I inspired them to engage, but maybe they just got tired of hearing my voice? :p
    Annoying voice would definitely be an explanation in my case! :D

You solved the mystery! Thank you! :D

I have excellent digestion, but I'm not sure even I could handle that.
    What kind of comfort-food shows you watch? :D
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 08-19-2021 at 12:42 AM.

X-men #1, data page (written by Ben): “(...)If the mutants have some grand design to take over the planet, they're doing it with kindness, and we can always use more of that.(...)”.

Taking over the planet doesn't seem to be a problem with Ben. Will he expose what is happening in Krakoa? It's all done with kindness, after all.
    I guess I think he might considering that Orchis is keeping tabs on him for that purpose, right? I mean, Ben learning about the shadier Krakoan things and reporting on it and a lot of people being unsettled is the next logical step.

I know!

Okay, that actually made me laugh! Thank you!
    You're welcome, I have a good-natured laugh at their expense.

They need villains and they keep redeeming them. So they need to push a hero to a villain role every now or then. Or worse: push a former villain back into the villain role without actually exploring this twist and what it means. Then, they'll simply rejoin the heroes 'cause why not?
    I can't understand why so many people are happy about Apocalypse and Sinister and others being involved with Krakoa.

Agreed. It’s not better at all. It’s interesting just because it’s not something we see often.
    That's fair.

You mean the Star Trek episode?

It's a good episode that I don't think you'd regret watching. But it's not a must-watch, I think. I'll give you the spoilers in case you don't feel like spending some 40 min of your life to watch something that reminds you of comics you're not enjoying.

Spoilers *** The crew goes visit a colony expecting to find their colonists dead because of a certain type of radiation. They’re not dead, though. They’re in perfect health. They’ve even regrown organs they had had surgically removed before.

Kirk has the orders to evacuate them, though, but they refuse to do so. In fact, they start to expose the crew to the spores of a plant.

Those spores protect them from the radiation and give them perfect health. They also become totally complacent and happy. Even Spock loses his cold rationality and becomes able to “love”.

Reminds you of some place?

Too bad that they'll never follow through with the awareness that something's wrong. Goodness forbid that you bring this up on these forums.

They are. They’re often seen as boring or perfect or whatever. Some are like that indeed. But that’s not because they’re heroes: it’s because they’re bad characters.

Good characters are tridimensional, regardless of being a hero, an anti-hero, an antagonist or a full-blown villain.
    That's true, I just think that the hero is timeless, they are what I focus on in these stories.

Sometimes I think it’s in the “mum programming code” that they need mainstream permission to like things.

Jokes aside, my mum tried to give stuff I like a try. So, knowing how crazy I am about DD, she watched it and she really liked it. Apart from the fight scenes, that is.

I’m happy your dad got you your first comic book, though. That’s a memory I know you’ll cherish forever.
    He bought me a few Spider-Man, X-Men, and Superman comics from back when they were still sold in some convenience stores in the early 2000's. I think they were in the middle of story arcs, so I was quite confused, but entertained.

Oh, poor you…

I don’t really get why Frozen was so big. I mean, it’s an okay movie. But I like others so much more: the animation, the music, the story… Really, in every aspect I like other movies better.

I’ll try to keep a mental note (or maybe even write it down), if I remember about another film that provides food for thought and discussion.
    I prefer Tangled, I think it's pretty much better in every regard. Of course, I prefer the older films in general.

The portrayals of the time-displaced O5, for me, is just abhorrent. I just want it to be stated that those are not the 616 characters. Because, when you consider their original characterization, those teens are simply not the same people. But they can be AU versions of the O5 and keep all the feats and all the memories and all the stuff.

Is it too much to ask?
    Not at all, that era should be placed on the shelf and forgotten. Tyke and Jeen were handled very poorly.

Uh… the meteor looks really big in the sky. They must have known.

Video game consoles and controllers end up occupying so much space, we realised we didn’t play it often enough to justify getting a new one so we still have a Wii that we don’t play.
    I guess it's just a common occurrence, I just remembered that there are these colossal beings called "Weapons" that roam their world so I guess that a meteor wouldn't warrant much attention.

Space is a reason I always really liked portable consoles, I have an old GBA that I still play.

Peter and Bobby just have to meet and become friends!

Ororo and Thor need to go on a "who can strike stronger lightning" competition.

Logan and Thor need to go on a "who can drink more beer" competition.

Scott and Steve have to play chess.

And if we can include the Guardians, Jean and Groot have to take a stroll in Central Park.

Those are, of course, jokes that could fit in the MCU. But any kind of friendly interaction between the heroes would make me happy, even if they’re not funny.
    Those little interactions are the secret ingredient of the MCU, definitely a missed opportunity.

The news that Hickman will be leaving gives more credit to my belief that they’re going to milk this cow as long as possible.

I now actually think Inferno will bring more stuff than I expected, since it’s the last change Hickman will have to implement some of the things he had planned. But it will likely be very watered down, so not to shake the tree too much.

Mmm… I didn’t intend the pun, but I’ll take it.

Hickman’s writing (for the X-corner of the MU) also felt weak to me on most occasions. His X-Men book was… well... "disappointing" is probably a good way to put it and remain somewhat neutral.
    I kinda wanna write up a series on HoX/PoX and HiX-Men and it's highs and lows. People are gonna try to talk up this era as a great legacy, but how do the actual books fare?

I tried Netflix because of DD series and never went back. Really. Being able to watch a series in the actual order it’s intended to be watched, at a time that is convenient to you? Awesome.
    Have you reached the point where you have too many options about what to watch?

Annoying voice would definitely be an explanation in my case!

You solved the mystery! Thank you!
    Haha, I'm sure that's not the case. Now that I think about it, we don't actually hear what our own voices sound like...

What kind of comfort-food shows you watch?
    Let's see... Seinfeld, Law & Order: SVU, The Mentalist, The Office, most of the 90's comics animated series, a slew of anime...
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I guess I think he might considering that Orchis is keeping tabs on him for that purpose, right? I mean, Ben learning about the shadier Krakoan things and reporting on it and a lot of people being unsettled is the next logical step.
    What I am afraid is that Ben will find out everything and sit on the story because the mutants are “kind”. And Duggan will use the fact that Ben found out DD’s secret identity and didn’t publish it as an excuse for that.

I’ll be might angry if he does that.

You're welcome, I have a good-natured laugh at their expense.
    I don’t know… normally we’re the ones who end up looking crazy for following such absurdity. Which, you know, we are. :P

I can't understand why so many people are happy about Apocalypse and Sinister and others being involved with Krakoa.
    I honestly think people don’t understand the power of a good antagonist (villain or not). They like the character, they want them to be on the side of the good guys, if not a good guy themselves.

Too bad that they'll never follow through with the awareness that something's wrong. Goodness forbid that you bring this up on these forums.
    We’re back to the sad truth: you and I think too much. Most people are happy to enjoy what they like without engaging into further considerations. I don’t say that in a judgmental way: they seem to enjoy stuff more often. That’s a good side to it.

That's true, I just think that the hero is timeless, they are what I focus on in these stories.
    The hero speaks to a more evolved part of our psyche. For some people, it’s inspiring. For others, it causes a sense of avoidance.

It’s like in real life. You see someone doing something amazing. There’s a spectrum of reactions that come from that, but the most notable ones (the landmarks of this spectrum) are those:

1) Some people feel inspired and try to do something as well.
    2) Some people admire how amazing that person is, but they give themselves the excuse that that person is special and they’re not like that, so there’s nothing they can do.
    3) Some people feel ashamed they’re not like that amazing person and react by attacking them, trying to bring them down so they don’t feel so bad.

Something similar happens with heroic characters and how the audience respond to them.

He bought me a few Spider-Man, X-Men, and Superman comics from back when they were still sold in some convenience stores in the early 2000's. I think they were in the middle of story arcs, so I was quite confused, but entertained.
    I was really puzzled too when I read my first comic books. But interested enough to keep reading them. :)

I prefer Tangled, I think it's pretty much better in every regard. Of course, I prefer the older films in general.
    When I look at the new ones and I consider stuff that people praised on Frozen (which I don’t necessarily agree, by the way), I don’t understand why Moana wasn’t a bigger hit.

1) Strong female lead without a love interest - check
    2) Gorgeous animation - check, check and check!
    3) Awesome soundtrack - check

Plus, Moana is brave and heroic. *shrug*

This is still my favourite Disney song ever:

“You think the only people who are people are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of a strangers, you’ll learn things you never knew you never knew”.

“And we’re all connected to each other, in a circle, in a hoop that never ends”.

And so many other verses… If people really, really internalised the lyrics, we’d live in a wonderful world.

Not at all, that era should be placed on the shelf and forgotten. Tyke and Jeen were handled very poorly.
    Those two were the ones who got the worst treatment because they also were the ones who got more attention. Still, to different extents, they were written like different characters. Except, maybe for Bobby: most of the time he was there just to tell a joke or do something goofy.

I guess it's just a common occurrence, I just remembered that there are these colossal beings called "Weapons" that roam their world so I guess that a meteor wouldn't warrant much attention.

Space is a reason I always really liked portable consoles, I have an old GBA that I still play.
    Wouldn’t it, though? That meteor would destroy the planet…

I’m really wondering about it. People who do get used to weird circumstances react differently than what you’d expect.

I never had one of those. They were way too expensive as I was growing up.

Those little interactions are the secret ingredient of the MCU, definitely a missed opportunity.
    Some of those characters are still around, so… fingers crossed.

I kinda wanna write up a series on HoX/PoX and HiX-Men and it's highs and lows. People are gonna try to talk up this era as a great legacy, but how do the actual books fare?
    Most of them, very poorly.

Have you reached the point where you have too many options about what to watch?
    Yes and no. I know there are lots of cool stuff to watch, but I try to watch two shows at a time: one I watch with my partner and one that I might watch on my own if he’s busy and I don’t feel like doing anything else other than watching some tv.

So I don’t really feel overwhelmed because there are too many options, you know? But I know they’re there.

Haha, I'm sure that's not the case. Now that I think about it, we don't actually hear what our own voices sound like...
    Well… When I hear my recorded voice and I am faced with what it *actually* sounds like, I feel like I shouldn’t speak ever again. The problem is, while I can be in total silence and isolation for days, I really like talking to certain people. :)

Let's see... Seinfeld, Law & Order: SVU, The Mentalist, The Office, most of the 90's comics animated series, a slew of anime...
    Oh… HAHAHA!

I thought you were talking about cooking shows that taught how to prepare comfort food…

If you excuse me a moment…

Re: Moana and Frozen - Elsa has superpowers and that's probably what's important. Elsa wasn't even the main character in that movie but her toys were the ones that sold - the only way Disney could move Anna dolls was to put them in two packs WITH Elsa. Plus that earworm song, it actually made them rewrite the script, as Elsa was supposed to be a villain in the original as it's based on The Snow Queen.

Back from my week plus vacation....
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Re: Moana and Frozen - Elsa has superpowers and that's probably what's important. Elsa wasn't even the main character in that movie but her toys were the ones that sold - the only way Disney could move Anna dolls was to put them in two packs WITH Elsa. Plus that earworm song, it actually made them rewrite the script, as Elsa was supposed to be a villain in the original as it's based on The Snow Queen.

Back from my week plus vacation....
    I think you're right, my friend: super power is more important than anything... Even jaw-dropping visuals in this visual era. *sigh*

Promise not to tell anyone? I actually like Anna better. :)

And no... don't go away! I promise to keep the messages short! :D

I think you're right, my friend: super power is more important than anything... Even jaw-dropping visuals in this visual era. *sigh*

Promise not to tell anyone? I actually like Anna better.

And no... don't go away! I promise to keep the messages short!
    I was on Oahu for the last week and a half - I wasn't posting much of anywhere, and CBR specifically was on the hotel's naughty list for some reason. I wasn't expecting that last part when I checked in ...
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I was on Oahu for the last week and a half - I wasn't posting much of anywhere, and CBR specifically was on the hotel's naughty list for some reason. I wasn't expecting that last part when I checked in ...
    Sorry, I understood it wrongly. I haven't been sleeping well. I guess it's time to repeat the previous gif, then! :D

You were in Oahu and I just mentioned Moana. Seriously, guys, this is getting scary! :D

How was your trip? (And welcome back!)

What I am afraid is that Ben will find out everything and sit on the story because the mutants are “kind”. And Duggan will use the fact that Ben found out DD’s secret identity and didn’t publish it as an excuse for that.

I’ll be might angry if he does that.
    One is not related to the other, I can see why you'd be upset with that hypothetical decision. What's going on in Krakoa would demand more answers and a true reporter would dig for more information.

I don’t know… normally we’re the ones who end up looking crazy for following such absurdity. Which, you know, we are.
    No denying that. Still, the few times that it clicks for them too is always fun, they engage on another level. One of my oldest friends loved the Invincible trades that I lent him so much that he got the entire series in hardcover and we've spent hours over several days talking about it. He wants another comic that grabs him like that, I'd like for him to find one too.

I honestly think people don’t understand the power of a good antagonist (villain or not). They like the character, they want them to be on the side of the good guys, if not a good guy themselves.
    Sympathetic villains have been popular for a while now, many rogues galleries are being thinned out.

We’re back to the sad truth: you and I think too much. Most people are happy to enjoy what they like without engaging into further considerations. I don’t say that in a judgmental way: they seem to enjoy stuff more often. That’s a good side to it.
    I can understand that to a certain extent, but there's just so much being left to the side. They really want to milk this as much as possible huh...

The hero speaks to a more evolved part of our psyche. For some people, it’s inspiring. For others, it causes a sense of avoidance.

It’s like in real life. You see someone doing something amazing. There’s a spectrum of reactions that come from that, but the most notable ones (the landmarks of this spectrum) are those:

1) Some people feel inspired and try to do something as well.
    2) Some people admire how amazing that person is, but they give themselves the excuse that that person is special and they’re not like that, so there’s nothing they can do.
    3) Some people feel ashamed they’re not like that amazing person and react by attacking them, trying to bring them down so they don’t feel so bad.

Something similar happens with heroic characters and how the audience respond to them.
    That third one seems so true, I'm surprised more people don't see that.

I was really puzzled too when I read my first comic books. But interested enough to keep reading them.
    I loved the art, it's what inspired me to start drawing.

When I look at the new ones and I consider stuff that people praised on Frozen (which I don’t necessarily agree, by the way), I don’t understand why Moana wasn’t a bigger hit.

1) Strong female lead without a love interest - check
    2) Gorgeous animation - check, check and check!
    3) Awesome soundtrack - check

Plus, Moana is brave and heroic. *shrug*

This is still my favourite Disney song ever:

“You think the only people who are people are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of a strangers, you’ll learn things you never knew you never knew”.

“And we’re all connected to each other, in a circle, in a hoop that never ends”.

And so many other verses… If people really, really internalised the lyrics, we’d live in a wonderful world.
    I love Pocahontas, that first verse shows how Pocahontas saw that John's view was misguided not malicious; she knew that they had plenty to learn from each other. That film is among my Disney favorites along with Mulan, Tarzan, Lion King, and Hercules.

I have a confession to make - I have yet to watch Moana.

Those two were the ones who got the worst treatment because they also were the ones who got more attention. Still, to different extents, they were written like different characters. Except, maybe for Bobby: most of the time he was there just to tell a joke or do something goofy.
    Better to just retcon all of that nonsense.

Wouldn’t it, though? That meteor would destroy the planet…

I’m really wondering about it. People who do get used to weird circumstances react differently than what you’d expect.

I never had one of those. They were way too expensive as I was growing up.
    Plenty of gameworlds have to be really weird considering all of the nonsense that goes on.

I didn't own one either until I could buy one for myself, saving lots of summer job money. My parents only ever got us one game console, a Sega Genesis, when the PS2 and GameCube were out - they didn't know that there was a significant difference, but we were just overjoyed to have something to play games on. Everything else I bought myself.

Some of those characters are still around, so… fingers crossed.
    I'm hopeful but skeptical.

Most of them, very poorly.
    I agree.

Yes and no. I know there are lots of cool stuff to watch, but I try to watch two shows at a time: one I watch with my partner and one that I might watch on my own if he’s busy and I don’t feel like doing anything else other than watching some tv.

So I don’t really feel overwhelmed because there are too many options, you know? But I know they’re there.
    Good call, my roommate and I made that decision also. We're watching The Mentalist and Cowboy Bebop now.

Well… When I hear my recorded voice and I am faced with what it *actually* sounds like, I feel like I shouldn’t speak ever again. The problem is, while I can be in total silence and isolation for days, I really like talking to certain people.
    I can completely relate, I'm good with silence but I like sharing my opinion.

Oh… HAHAHA!

I thought you were talking about cooking shows that taught how to prepare comfort food…

If you excuse me a moment…

Oh, haha, sorry, I meant shows-as-comfort-food-viewing. I put some of those on when I want to draw or clean or cook and I'm not trying to listen to music.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

One is not related to the other, I can see why you'd be upset with that hypothetical decision. What's going on in Krakoa would demand more answers and a true reporter would dig for more information.
    I think Duggan will have Ben digging for more. The question is: once he gets the answers (if the mutants allow him, that is), what will he do with the info? That data page got me worried.

No denying that. Still, the few times that it clicks for them too is always fun, they engage on another level. One of my oldest friends loved the Invincible trades that I lent him so much that he got the entire series in hardcover and we've spent hours over several days talking about it. He wants another comic that grabs him like that, I'd like for him to find one too.
    Invincible has its own continuity, right?

Sympathetic villains have been popular for a while now, many rogues galleries are being thinned out.
    And the result is that you get heroes fighting each other for stupid reasons.

I can understand that to a certain extent, but there's just so much being left to the side. They really want to milk this as much as possible huh...
    Yep.

That third one seems so true, I'm surprised more people don't see that.
    There’re a lot of people who belong to that group. It’s harder to see it in that case, I guess.

I loved the art, it's what inspired me to start drawing.
    What inspired me was the character sheets of G.U.R.P.S. Heroes. And we we got that one because of the comics. :)

I love Pocahontas, that first verse shows how Pocahontas saw that John's view was misguided not malicious; she knew that they had plenty to learn from each other. That film is among my Disney favorites along with Mulan, Tarzan, Lion King, and Hercules.

I have a confession to make - I have yet to watch Moana.
    Pocahontas, the character, is so poised and dignified. <3 Those and other traits of hers remind me of Jean. I love her as well as the movie.

Confession? I haven’t watched Mulan. I’d add Aladdin to the the list you made. :)

Better to just retcon all of that nonsense.
    Not happening, but one can dream…

Plenty of gameworlds have to be really weird considering all of the nonsense that goes on.
    Which reminds me, do you know a bit of the lore of Elder Scrolls?

I didn't own one either until I could buy one for myself, saving lots of summer job money. My parents only ever got us one game console, a Sega Genesis, when the PS2 and GameCube were out - they didn't know that there was a significant difference, but we were just overjoyed to have something to play games on. Everything else I bought myself.
    My father had an Atari, then he gave my brother a Master System. They hardly let me play those because I was a girl and I’m the youngest child. No joking.

When I was forced to travel to Disney (I wanted to go to London instead), I bought a Super Nintendo of my own and no one was allowed not to let me play it anymore.

I'm hopeful but skeptical.
    You think the X-Men won’t join the MCU or just not interact with the heroes who are already there?

Good call, my roommate and I made that decision also. We're watching The Mentalist and Cowboy Bebop now.
    When my mother visits us, we log on her Netflix account so she can watch her stuff if we're busy. She’s always watching at least 5 shows. She likes to have a light-hearted comedy or romance, a serious drama and a bunch of those reality shows about interior design, gardening, cooking, etc…

I can completely relate, I'm good with silence but I like sharing my opinion.
    Do you go through moments in which you need some isolation and introspection?

Oh, haha, sorry, I meant shows-as-comfort-food-viewing. I put some of those on when I want to draw or clean or cook and I'm not trying to listen to music.
    Don't be sorry, please. It was my lack of attention at fault here. :)