Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I’m glad you think so.
    I'll take breaks as I need them of course.

Yeah… And I’ve seen Duggan doing some little (and not so little) abuses when it comes to her power already. So I’m worried.

There’s a reason I’m being cautious with his characterization of her.
    I must've missed them, what were they?

Marvel is not the only one who has Jean-derivatives, after all. But, regardless of who is the original, derivative characters very rarely are as interesting (let alone better) than the originals.
    Definitely true. Once the series is complete, and maybe depending on how much they change, I'd like to hear what you think of that comparison of Eve to Jean.

On that and other personal tastes/perspectives, I’m afraid.
    There are people who see some sense in what we're saying, thankfully.

I do. It’s a mess. Then they think continuity is to blame for the difficulty in getting new readers in. It’s part of it, but it’s not the most difficult part.
    It's like they're trying to make it difficult to break in.

Sure, I get that. The problem is that nowadays people want to send you a non-personal quick message or a silly picture they’re sharing with their entire contact list and call it interaction.

Who am I to judge if they think it counts?

But, for me? Nope. It doesn’t. I don’t want to spend my precious time with those shallow interactions.
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I live so close to my immediate family that I tend to see them in person often enough to not have that nagging need to call and talk.

I don’t like it either, for many reasons. One is that it dates the story. But more importantly, it looks boring. It’s part of modern life so I’m okay if it’s portrayed sparingly when it seems appropriate to the narrative.
    It's already such a superficial and superfluous thing in real life, why do I want to see it in comics you know?

And they might release it too soon to be successful.
    You think it needs more development time?

I watched it this weekend!

So, as most Japanese stories, you kinda have to just shrug and adapt to their way of telling a story. Their narratives aren’t as scrutinized for logic as the Western ones, I suppose. Some stuff will happen because it will happen and you have to be okay with it.

I liked it. I love everything related to enchanted forests and their spirits, so I’m biased.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
    Yeah, like a fairy-tale? It's a great film, I like how there are so many competing interests and the animation is gorgeous.

That’s the thing… I didn’t see what was the purpose of it. Okay, she had a crush on him. But he didn’t and then the emperor tells him to go after her. He goes. And that’s it.

In my opinion, that’s a movie that could have gone without it.

I don’t think it “weakens” Mulan or anything. I really dislike this current notion about the Disney “princesses” anyway. But, in the context of the film, the romance really wasn’t needed.
    Yeah, it's a little unnecessary but harmless to my viewing.

Yeah. He’s really badass! He feels really threatening. I really wished he had shown up more.
    His introduction was so powerful too:
    "Now all of China knows you're here."
    "Perfect."

Me too. Dead Poets Society is one of my favourite movies ever.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to form my own group. I tried to convince some friends to go read poetry on the beach. No one wanted, though.

I know. I was even weirder than I am now.
    Haha, can't say I've thought of reading poetry on the beach; I'm usually swimming or fishing in that case.

Yeah. I’m not sure if I’ll be reading them next year. My patience is running low and I hunger for something meaningful from those stories.
    I'm curious to see what Hickman's departure means for the X-Men of course, but also what it means for Scott and Jean in particular.

Nope. For what I heard, they keep dumbing the newer games down, both in storytelling and gameplay.
    I think I said that to my friends, who introduced me to Skyrim, and I was unfortunately right. They did the same with their Fallout games.

Yes. It’s like grandparents: I defend their right to spoil and corrupt their grandchildren!

Raising and teaching is the responsibility of the parents.
    Haha, right on. I do my part in teaching them lessons too, I just throw in the occasional unhealthy snack or videogame or comic book.

I wasn’t really bad at it. My brother was more skillful, but I was more tactful. I could usually identify what were were doing wrong when we got stuck. But he’d only accept trying it when he got frustrated he couldn’t beat it with his skill alone. With time that changed, though. He’d accept my suggestions even when I wasn’t playing the game (because it was a 1-player game or something).
    Oh, okay, funny story: I spent an entire day working my way to the end of a game, Shinobi III on the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive), only for my siblings to reset the game because they were convinced we were missing The Simpsons. They were wrong about the start time! That game kicked my butt as a kid; took me forever to beat the game after that.

Me neither. My brother and I substituted for his secretary a couple of times when she’d go on vacations. And I did some other little things for extra money too. But I wouldn’t even be allowed legally to work like he did when he was young.
    Child labor laws?

That seems really cool. Like I said: now I really want to play it.
    I don't know how easy it'll be to acquire the game for you, but it's worth it especially if you have others to join in.

I know this will make me sound even more like a nerd than I probably do already but I really liked learning all subjects at school. My favourites were Maths (especially geometry), Physics, Chemistry and Biology, though.
    I liked sciences generally but I did not like math - when I got to calculus I was ready to throw in the towel.

Considering the pandemic, maybe it’s not a bad thigh. I’d really like to watch the MCU X-Men movies in the cinema.
    Good point, I'd prefer to watch them in cinema too.

I’d be happy with one. But sometimes my head is too tired for anything other than TV and my partner is busy. That’s when I watch the other series. Or if we happen to have a meal on different time.
    Situations like those are exactly when I put on my shows-as-comfort-food.

Everyone wears those social masks around strangers and co-workers. We need it to be functional in society. Doing that feels heavier for certain people,though.
    Must be that case with me.

I got it. I feel the same way.
    Some people thrive in social environments, I do well, but I need time to myself.

You must be my twin brother!

Something like that has happened to me too!

It’s happened enough for me not to find it absurd anymore, but it always come as a surprise. Like… why do you equate silence with being upset? When I’m upset, you don’t have to wonder. You know. And most likely because I’ll be the one informing you out of weird sense of fairness.
    I get it, we're social creatures, and silence can unnerve some of us. So you tell them out of fairness? I usually do it because I don't like to have misunderstandings, if someone upsets me, I let them know.

Oh, yeah. It’s a survival mechanism when you’re part of the weird ones. Either you learn to do it or you get really depressed.
    If you don't laugh you cry.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I must've missed them, what were they?
    One was on the Planet Size issue. I found the way she handled using Jamie’s mind for him to create the new space station problematic to say the least. Same with her shutting Deadpool up in Cable.

Both situations were supposed to be funny and I love touches of humour, but not at the expense of characterization. So while I don’t want to sound too negative and a spoilsport, I admit it does worry me a little.

Definitely true. Once the series is complete, and maybe depending on how much they change, I'd like to hear what you think of that comparison of Eve to Jean.
    Sure. So far, other than the tk power (and the combination hair/eye colours), I think what they have of similarity is this genuine willingness to help others. But while Jean came from a supportive, loving family, it doesn’t seem true for Eve.

If we compare the 60s O5 Jean with Eve, both of them seem mature for their age. I’d say Eve is more of a free spirit than Jean, though. I think Jean would feel very lonely and sad living in a tree house on her own. I think she’d miss her loved ones way too much. It looked to me that Eve felt fulfilled there.

Eve doesn’t appear much in the first season, so I can’t really say more about her yet.

There are people who see some sense in what we're saying, thankfully.
    Are there? :P

I’m joking. I know some people agree, at least partially. CBR is hardly a good indication of the comic book fans anyway.

It's like they're trying to make it difficult to break in.
    Yep. And the relaunches aren’t the only problem. The stories being somewhat interconnected and the minis here and there and those damn events in between… Jeez…

You see? Nothing of that has to do with continuity.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I live so close to my immediate family that I tend to see them in person often enough to not have that nagging need to call and talk.
    That’s wonderful. I wish that was still true to me.

It's already such a superficial and superfluous thing in real life, why do I want to see it in comics you know?
    Exactly. But it’s also pretty difficult to portray it in an interesting way. I know some people who love it, though. Like I said, it’s part of life so I don’t mind some usage of it, if it serves the narrative and it doesn’t happen too often.

You think it needs more development time?
    I think you need a good amount of heroes and villains from different parts of the MU to attract enough players right away. I suppose a lot of people will be more interested in playing with a Marvel hero than creating their own.

So it would be smart to release the core rule-book at the same time as supplemental ones because then people can choose the characters they’re interested in playing. But that requires more upfront investment…

Yeah, like a fairy-tale? It's a great film, I like how there are so many competing interests and the animation is gorgeous.
    Yes. A fairy tale in the more strict sense of the term, yes. Not the stories we tell children (though I love some of those too).

I found the second half ending a bit convoluted. Suddenly you have five different groups fighting (the boars, the samurais, the guys from the neighbour town, Lady Eboshi outside the city with the males, and the iron girls + lepers defending the city) plus the protagonists, with Ashitaka just bouncing from one conflict to another. And then lady boss decides to ignore her town being attacked so she can go kill the spirit of the forest because… I guess it couldn’t wait until the next day?

But like I said, it’s a Japanese story. You have to be willing to go with its flow when you watch that style of narrative.

Yeah, it's a little unnecessary but harmless to my viewing.
    I agree. It’s not needed, but it doesn’t hurt the movie.

His introduction was so powerful too:
    "Now all of China knows you're here."
    "Perfect."
    Yeah. And unlike other Disney villains, there’s nothing funny about him. Whatsoever.

Haha, can't say I've thought of reading poetry on the beach; I'm usually swimming or fishing in that case.
    I lived in a big city without proper, easily accessible caves, so the beach seemed like a natural choice! :P

I'm curious to see what Hickman's departure means for the X-Men of course, but also what it means for Scott and Jean in particular.
    The X-Men book was just released. I don’t think much will change for them. I don’t expect Inferno to change much about Krakoa either, so…

I think I said that to my friends, who introduced me to Skyrim, and I was unfortunately right. They did the same with their Fallout games.
    I’ve watched some play-throughs of Morrowind and I was blown away by the options of the character sheet. We don’t see stuff like that on current RPGs. And that’s not even counting the mods. Not to mention the interaction with the NPCs and the amount of options of paths you could take along the main story.

Haha, right on. I do my part in teaching them lessons too, I just throw in the occasional unhealthy snack or videogame or comic book.
    Yeah, but you teach those lessons because you want to do it (I’ll eventually do that too if I ever get to meet my niece and spend time with her). It’s not your responsibility. Parents are the ones who are supposed to be boring. Everyone else gets to be cool and spoil the kids! :)

Oh, okay, funny story: I spent an entire day working my way to the end of a game, Shinobi III on the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive), only for my siblings to reset the game because they were convinced we were missing The Simpsons. They were wrong about the start time! That game kicked my butt as a kid; took me forever to beat the game after that.
    Argh… That hurt my soul, Hiz! I felt your pain even though I didn’t play that game!

Don’t you just love when stuff like that happens? But like my brother says: “it builds character”. Plus, it becomes a story to tell.

Child labor laws?
    Yep. Nowadays a person cannot work if they’re under 16. And they can only work as an apprentice when they are 14 or older, which is in accordance with some UN agreements.

But there was also a certain awareness that got in the way. I was a middle-class girl. People wouldn’t hire me to do little jobs if they could hire an adult who needed the money to support their families, you know?

Still, I found ways of making some money here and there (other than my grades) if it didn’t take the opportunity of another person who might need it more.

I don't know how easy it'll be to acquire the game for you, but it's worth it especially if you have others to join in.
    I’m sure my partner would be willing to give it a try. We played quite a lot Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. It makes me want to actually dig the Wii out of the attic to play that game again. Playing with the Hulk and being able to simply grab a mob and use them as a weapon is just too precious! :D

Plus, the fusions were really cool too.

I don’t think finding X-Men Legends would be easy, though. Especially because we don’t have any of the consoles that could play it. I could check with my brother if his PS2 still works, though. And maybe next time I visit we could give it a try… Mmm… that sounds like a plan for the post-pandemic future. :)

I liked sciences generally but I did not like math - when I got to calculus I was ready to throw in the towel.
    I wasn’t good at maths, but I really loved it. Since I was a little kid, I’ve had this conviction that it is the language of the universe. :)

Did I tell you I’m weird?

Good point, I'd prefer to watch them in cinema too.
    How are things in your area now?

Situations like those are exactly when I put on my shows-as-comfort-food.
    Yep. And I love that it’s so easy to do it nowadays. The shows are just there, waiting for you to watch them at your convenience. It used to be the other way around: you had to adapt to the times they were on.

Must be that case with me.
    If I had to guess, I’d say so. :)

Some people thrive in social environments, I do well, but I need time to myself.
    Me too. I love spending time with certain people. But I also love some peace and quiet. I find a certain level of solitude therapeutic. :)

I get it, we're social creatures, and silence can unnerve some of us. So you tell them out of fairness? I usually do it because I don't like to have misunderstandings, if someone upsets me, I let them know.
    Yeah. I think it’s unfair to be upset with someone and not give them the chance to clear the air for possible misunderstandings, explain their perspective and/or apologise, if they think it’s needed. Of course, that mostly applies to people I care about or I have to interact fairly often.

If someone is upset with me, I also prefer they tell me so we can try to fix things. I may have done something wrong and I’d like to not only apologise but also address and correct it if possible. It’s never my intention to hurt someone emotionally or otherwise. But if I’m unaware I’ve made a mistake, I can’t try to make it right and I certainly won’t learn from it.

If you don't laugh you cry.
    Pretty much! So let’s laugh! It’s better for the liver! :)

One was on the Planet Size issue. I found the way she handled using Jamie’s mind for him to create the new space station problematic to say the least. Same with her shutting Deadpool up in Cable.

Both situations were supposed to be funny and I love touches of humour, but not at the expense of characterization. So while I don’t want to sound too negative and a spoilsport, I admit it does worry me a little.
    Oh, yeah, that first one bothered me a bit; I haven't kept up with Cable though. I get your trepidation, the little details matter.

Sure. So far, other than the tk power (and the combination hair/eye colours), I think what they have of similarity is this genuine willingness to help others. But while Jean came from a supportive, loving family, it doesn’t seem true for Eve.

If we compare the 60s O5 Jean with Eve, both of them seem mature for their age. I’d say Eve is more of a free spirit than Jean, though. I think Jean would feel very lonely and sad living in a tree house on her own. I think she’d miss her loved ones way too much. It looked to me that Eve felt fulfilled there.

Eve doesn’t appear much in the first season, so I can’t really say more about her yet.
    I think you're spot on.

Are there?

I’m joking. I know some people agree, at least partially. CBR is hardly a good indication of the comic book fans anyway.
    I think they just (wisely) tend to stay out of it, lest they be called doomsayers.

Yep. And the relaunches aren’t the only problem. The stories being somewhat interconnected and the minis here and there and those damn events in between… Jeez…

You see? Nothing of that has to do with continuity.
    There needs to be a moratorium on events for a while.

That’s wonderful. I wish that was still true to me.
    I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it.

Exactly. But it’s also pretty difficult to portray it in an interesting way. I know some people who love it, though. Like I said, it’s part of life so I don’t mind some usage of it, if it serves the narrative and it doesn’t happen too often.
    It just seems pointless to me, because the people who have their faces in their phones all day likely aren't sitting down to read comics.

I think you need a good amount of heroes and villains from different parts of the MU to attract enough players right away. I suppose a lot of people will be more interested in playing with a Marvel hero than creating their own.

So it would be smart to release the core rule-book at the same time as supplemental ones because then people can choose the characters they’re interested in playing. But that requires more upfront investment…
    Depending on the specific system, it would be cool to make a Marvel character.

Yes. A fairy tale in the more strict sense of the term, yes. Not the stories we tell children (though I love some of those too).

I found the second half ending a bit convoluted. Suddenly you have five different groups fighting (the boars, the samurais, the guys from the neighbour town, Lady Eboshi outside the city with the males, and the iron girls + lepers defending the city) plus the protagonists, with Ashitaka just bouncing from one conflict to another. And then lady boss decides to ignore her town being attacked so she can go kill the spirit of the forest because… I guess it couldn’t wait until the next day?

But like I said, it’s a Japanese story. You have to be willing to go with its flow when you watch that style of narrative.
    Haha, yeah, everything came to a head very quickly.

I agree. It’s not needed, but it doesn’t hurt the movie.
    I wonder if they felt that it was necessary to please part of the audience?

Yeah. And unlike other Disney villains, there’s nothing funny about him. Whatsoever.
    You know, one of the things about the MCU that's bothered me for a while is how they pull gags on their villains to their detriment.

I lived in a big city without proper, easily accessible caves, so the beach seemed like a natural choice!
    I live in a big city too, although there are plenty of rivers/streams, creeks, etc. which I explored with friends growing up.

The X-Men book was just released. I don’t think much will change for them. I don’t expect Inferno to change much about Krakoa either, so…
    Do you think they'll drop the love triangle nonsense?

I’ve watched some play-throughs of Morrowind and I was blown away by the options of the character sheet. We don’t see stuff like that on current RPGs. And that’s not even counting the mods. Not to mention the interaction with the NPCs and the amount of options of paths you could take along the main story.
    The mods prop up the recent games so much.

Yeah, but you teach those lessons because you want to do it (I’ll eventually do that too if I ever get to meet my niece and spend time with her). It’s not your responsibility. Parents are the ones who are supposed to be boring. Everyone else gets to be cool and spoil the kids!
    Can't argue with your logic.

Argh… That hurt my soul, Hiz! I felt your pain even though I didn’t play that game!

Don’t you just love when stuff like that happens? But like my brother says: “it builds character”. Plus, it becomes a story to tell.
    Yeah, it's a funny story now, but I was devastated at the time. My little childhood brain couldn't comprehend what had happened.

Yep. Nowadays a person cannot work if they’re under 16. And they can only work as an apprentice when they are 14 or older, which is in accordance with some UN agreements.

But there was also a certain awareness that got in the way. I was a middle-class girl. People wouldn’t hire me to do little jobs if they could hire an adult who needed the money to support their families, you know?

Still, I found ways of making some money here and there (other than my grades) if it didn’t take the opportunity of another person who might need it more.
    Best/worst job you've ever had? Here's a funny story from when I worked at a fast food place: the restaurant was empty, so I took the opportunity to clean the men's room. My friend, who was also my coworker at the time, kicked the door open because he doesn't think sometimes and hit me straight on the head. If that had been a customer instead of me, he'd have been in so much trouble; we laugh about it now, but jeez.

The X-Men have worked jobs before, right?

I’m sure my partner would be willing to give it a try. We played quite a lot Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. It makes me want to actually dig the Wii out of the attic to play that game again. Playing with the Hulk and being able to simply grab a mob and use them as a weapon is just too precious!

Plus, the fusions were really cool too.

I don’t think finding X-Men Legends would be easy, though. Especially because we don’t have any of the consoles that could play it. I could check with my brother if his PS2 still works, though. And maybe next time I visit we could give it a try… Mmm… that sounds like a plan for the post-pandemic future.
    Oh, even better, the X-Men games are pretty much like that but with a tighter focus.

I wasn’t good at maths, but I really loved it. Since I was a little kid, I’ve had this conviction that it is the language of the universe.

Did I tell you I’m weird?
    Math and I tolerate each other to a point.

How are things in your area now?
    Last I heard, we had good vax numbers, so while some places might still ask for masking, everything is pretty much open and they're keeping an eye on hospitalizations. I think most cinemas are open to a certain capacity. I don't want to bum you out by asking you to share how things are going with your area...

Yep. And I love that it’s so easy to do it nowadays. The shows are just there, waiting for you to watch them at your convenience. It used to be the other way around: you had to adapt to the times they were on.
    It was sometimes fun growing up. After school, my siblings and I would race home to catch Toonami, a cartoon/anime programming block. It felt like a daily event.

If I had to guess, I’d say so.
    That takes care of one piece of the puzzle.

Me too. I love spending time with certain people. But I also love some peace and quiet. I find a certain level of solitude therapeutic.
    Therapeutic is a good word for it.

Yeah. I think it’s unfair to be upset with someone and not give them the chance to clear the air for possible misunderstandings, explain their perspective and/or apologise, if they think it’s needed. Of course, that mostly applies to people I care about or I have to interact fairly often.

If someone is upset with me, I also prefer they tell me so we can try to fix things. I may have done something wrong and I’d like to not only apologise but also address and correct it if possible. It’s never my intention to hurt someone emotionally or otherwise. But if I’m unaware I’ve made a mistake, I can’t try to make it right and I certainly won’t learn from it.
    I couldn't have said it better myself, I really don't have patience for letting things stew and get worse.

Pretty much! So let’s laugh! It’s better for the liver!
    Haha, the liver?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Oh, yeah, that first one bothered me a bit; I haven't kept up with Cable though. I get your trepidation, the little details matter.
    I hope that now that Jean is part of his fixed cast, he’ll get a better grip of her and we won’t see this kind of stuff again.

Am I being naïve, though?

I think you're spot on.
    I only watched the cartoon because a poster mentioned Eve in Jean’s thread, actually. She seemed all right, despite her powers being written wildly inconsistently.

I think they just (wisely) tend to stay out of it, lest they be called doomsayers.
    I think the discourse on these threads here push a lot of people away. We tend to have an over-representation of certain groups here and I don’t think it reflects the actual demographics of comic book readers.

For instance: Logan’s thread isn’t very busy, still his comics consistently sell well when compared to the other x-titles.

There needs to be a moratorium on events for a while.
    There’s an Wolverine-centered event coming. Written by Percy. Nope. I’m not worried. :P

I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it.
    Even before the pandemic it was hard. A 12-hour flight (the actual flight, not the whole trip) makes it impossible to just hop in the airplane and spend a weekend there when I miss them too much.

It just seems pointless to me, because the people who have their faces in their phones all day likely aren't sitting down to read comics.
    Mmm… Don’t most people have their faces in their phones all day, though? Some of them must read comics…

I’m really wondering about it now.

Depending on the specific system, it would be cool to make a Marvel character.
    I think so too. In G.U.R.P.S. I recreated some X-Men but I created lots of original heroes too. :)

Haha, yeah, everything came to a head very quickly.
    It’s still cool, though. It’s just different.

I wonder if they felt that it was necessary to please part of the audience?
    Back then, having some romance was the rule for those movies. Nowadays it seems to be the opposite.

You know, one of the things about the MCU that's bothered me for a while is how they pull gags on their villains to their detriment.
    Yeah… I wasn’t even thinking of the MCU, but you’re right!

Do you think it’s really for the comedy or to try to make them more relatable? I really dislike this necessity of making characters overly-relatable.

I live in a big city too, although there are plenty of rivers/streams, creeks, etc. which I explored with friends growing up.
    Well, there is a whole urban forest there, but it was a bit distant and not exactly safe to be there. We lived very close to the beach so it was the obvious choice too. Still, those lazy friends weren’t interested. Oh, well…

Do you think they'll drop the love triangle nonsense?
    They may have dropped it already? Either way, I hope we won’t see any more of it.

And I also hope they don’t bring up different ones… Ugh…

I don’t want to spoil anything and I don’t want to rant, so I’ll just be quiet.

The mods prop up the recent games so much.
    And they have the nerve to want to make money with the mods!

Yeah, it's a funny story now, but I was devastated at the time. My little childhood brain couldn't comprehend what had happened.
    Seriously, though: it probably helped you learning how to cope with frustration and certain feelings of loss better.

Best/worst job you've ever had? Here's a funny story from when I worked at a fast food place: the restaurant was empty, so I took the opportunity to clean the men's room. My friend, who was also my coworker at the time, kicked the door open because he doesn't think sometimes and hit me straight on the head. If that had been a customer instead of me, he'd have been in so much trouble; we laugh about it now, but jeez.

The X-Men have worked jobs before, right?
    I’ve always liked working, so I don’t think I had a job I could clearly name as the worst. I had tasks that were really annoying, though. The best was working on a research lab.

Some did, for a while, at least. Xavier worked as a soldier and psychiatrist. Jean was a model. Scott worked as a radio DJ. Warren was the CEO of his company, Forge worked for the government, Piotr was a farmer and then you have the artists too like Dazzler. And characters who aren’t X-Men but had jobs: Moira, Kravita, Cecilia Rayes, Jumbo Carnation… Plus the supporting cast: during the X-Factor run, for instance, Bobby, Warren and Hank dated women who had jobs. Then you have the X-Factor later working as investigators.

Oh, even better, the X-Men games are pretty much like that but with a tighter focus.
    They seem really cool. :)

Math and I tolerate each other to a point.
    For me it’s like this: I love Math but Math doesn’t love me back! :D

Last I heard, we had good vax numbers, so while some places might still ask for masking, everything is pretty much open and they're keeping an eye on hospitalizations. I think most cinemas are open to a certain capacity. I don't want to bum you out by asking you to share how things are going with your area...
    Not so bad for now, with most people still working from home and some restrictions still in place. But people are coming back from vacations. It might be looking different in a few weeks.

It was sometimes fun growing up. After school, my siblings and I would race home to catch Toonami, a cartoon/anime programming block. It felt like a daily event.
    I used to set the VCR to record TAS because there was a time it was on while I was at school. :D

That takes care of one piece of the puzzle.
    I’m like that too.

Therapeutic is a good word for it.
    Actual therapists might disagree. But you got the meaning, so that’s what counts. :D

I couldn't have said it better myself, I really don't have patience for letting things stew and get worse.
    Exactly: they often get worse and it becomes much harder to fix stuff later.

Haha, the liver?
    According to Chinese medicine, yes. :)

I hope that now that Jean is part of his fixed cast, he’ll get a better grip of her and we won’t see this kind of stuff again.

Am I being naïve, though?
    I guess that depends on what plans are in store for Jean? Duggan has a sizable cast, and most of the characters have large and vocal fanbases who want to see their favorites in the spotlight.

I only watched the cartoon because a poster mentioned Eve in Jean’s thread, actually. She seemed all right, despite her powers being written wildly inconsistently.
    They're pretty inconsistent in the comics too, but that's okay, it works better there. Are there any particular storylines you'd like to see adapted into a new X-Men animated series? Or maybe a new adaptation of old stories?

I think the discourse on these threads here push a lot of people away. We tend to have an over-representation of certain groups here and I don’t think it reflects the actual demographics of comic book readers.

For instance: Logan’s thread isn’t very busy, still his comics consistently sell well when compared to the other x-titles.
    I'm not sure what conclusion we can draw from that example - maybe they're generally pleased with Logan's character direction/spoiled with content? Scott's thread isn't very active, even though he's ostensibly on the uppercard (because we all know that Inferno is the Main Event).

There’s an Wolverine-centered event coming. Written by Percy. Nope. I’m not worried.
    Yeah, I don't even want to wade into that one. Yeesh. I'm over Wolverine, and Batman for that matter.

Even before the pandemic it was hard. A 12-hour flight (the actual flight, not the whole trip) makes it impossible to just hop in the airplane and spend a weekend there when I miss them too much.
    I feel like all I can say is I'm sorry, and that I hope you see them soon.

Mmm… Don’t most people have their faces in their phones all day, though? Some of them must read comics…

I’m really wondering about it now.
    Well, I figure if you pick out a random comics reader, odds are good that they spend lots of time on their phone/computer; but if you pick out a random person with their face in their phones, I doubt that they'll be a comics reader, you know?

I think so too. In G.U.R.P.S. I recreated some X-Men but I created lots of original heroes too.
    That Midnight Suns game looked interesting, but the card-based mechanics have me cautious, and I don't know which X-Men will make the cut. You'll be shocked to learn that Wolverine is in.

It’s still cool, though. It’s just different.
    There are some truly great Japanese animated films.

Back then, having some romance was the rule for those movies. Nowadays it seems to be the opposite.
    Opposite? I guess I haven't noticed, but admittedly I haven't kept up with contemporary films much.

Yeah… I wasn’t even thinking of the MCU, but you’re right!

Do you think it’s really for the comedy or to try to make them more relatable? I really dislike this necessity of making characters overly-relatable.
    I could see the reason being a mix of both, but a villain doesn't become relatable in my opinion by telling jokes at their expense. A good hero needs a good villain, and the MCU can sometimes hurt themselves in this regard; I think it's become their brand, but they're taking it too far.

Well, there is a whole urban forest there, but it was a bit distant and not exactly safe to be there. We lived very close to the beach so it was the obvious choice too. Still, those lazy friends weren’t interested. Oh, well…
    I can be pretty lazy, but when I get outside I enjoy it, I even get pretty competitive with sports.

They may have dropped it already? Either way, I hope we won’t see any more of it.

And I also hope they don’t bring up different ones… Ugh…

I don’t want to spoil anything and I don’t want to rant, so I’ll just be quiet.
    I'm in your corner with this one.

And they have the nerve to want to make money with the mods!
    Oh yeah, I heard about that, what a fiasco.

Seriously, though: it probably helped you learning how to cope with frustration and certain feelings of loss better.
    And betrayal, to think that my own siblings would do that to me.

I’ve always liked working, so I don’t think I had a job I could clearly name as the worst. I had tasks that were really annoying, though. The best was working on a research lab.

Some did, for a while, at least. Xavier worked as a soldier and psychiatrist. Jean was a model. Scott worked as a radio DJ. Warren was the CEO of his company, Forge worked for the government, Piotr was a farmer and then you have the artists too like Dazzler. And characters who aren’t X-Men but had jobs: Moira, Kravita, Cecilia Rayes, Jumbo Carnation… Plus the supporting cast: during the X-Factor run, for instance, Bobby, Warren and Hank dated women who had jobs. Then you have the X-Factor later working as investigators.
    I think working retail or fast food can help teach someone how to behave on the other side, you know?

Research lab? Sounds cool.

What sorts of jobs do you suppose they'd have now?

They seem really cool.
    I'd love to get a third one.

For me it’s like this: I love Math but Math doesn’t love me back!
    I confess, I just didn't do the work in my calculus class, I was done. Suffice it to say, that the teacher wasn't amused with me.

Not so bad for now, with most people still working from home and some restrictions still in place. But people are coming back from vacations. It might be looking different in a few weeks.
    Well, hopefully there's proper mitigation and people act responsibly.

I used to set the VCR to record TAS because there was a time it was on while I was at school.
    When I discovered DVR, it was like I had all the time in the world. And I could rewatch favorite episodes too, instead of waiting for the reruns to loop back around.

I’m like that too.
    I'm not sure what it means that I have so many talkative friends.

Actual therapists might disagree. But you got the meaning, so that’s what counts.
    Therapists deal in words though, they have a bias, they're running a con!

Exactly: they often get worse and it becomes much harder to fix stuff later.
    It's so simple, but I have friends and family who struggle with it. I struggle with it, and I make a conscious effort not to.

According to Chinese medicine, yes.
    Oh, I think I learned a little about this. They can also tell health issues from someone's skin condition or hair, etc.
    Last edited by Hizashi; 09-02-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I guess that depends on what plans are in store for Jean? Duggan has a sizable cast, and most of the characters have large and vocal fanbases who want to see their favorites in the spotlight.
    Yes. I understand she’s not the centre of the stories.

The problem with Ben’s situation is that he may use Jean to deal with it. And it may not to be about her, but just her power, you know?

They're pretty inconsistent in the comics too, but that's okay, it works better there. Are there any particular storylines you'd like to see adapted into a new X-Men animated series? Or maybe a new adaptation of old stories?
    I think I’d prefer a new series loosely based on the stories, but tightly close to the characters. I’d like it to start with the O5 (but not the time displaced brats). One episode for each their personal stories, as the team is formed, then Mag attacks.

In episode seven, Charles tells the teens about Magneto. And we introduce Gabrielle Haller during those flashbacks. And we can introduce Moira (a human, not the current hot mess) during a field trip to Muir Island.

We can get episodes for the introduction of some classic villains and every now and then we’d get a little glimpse of the characters of the second team. Season one ends with the original Krakoa story. But let’s leave Deadly Genesis out.

I'm not sure what conclusion we can draw from that example - maybe they're generally pleased with Logan's character direction/spoiled with content? Scott's thread isn't very active, even though he's ostensibly on the uppercard (because we all know that Inferno is the Main Event).
    I think it means that people who are primarily fans of Logan don’t feel they belong in these forums. And if you consider how they’re often referred to, it’s not difficult to see why.

Yeah, I don't even want to wade into that one. Yeesh. I'm over Wolverine, and Batman for that matter.
    Confession time? I never got Batman’s appeal.

I feel like all I can say is I'm sorry, and that I hope you see them soon.
    Thank you. I'lll visit as soon as it’s safe.

Well, I figure if you pick out a random comics reader, odds are good that they spend lots of time on their phone/computer; but if you pick out a random person with their face in their phones, I doubt that they'll be a comics reader, you know?
    If they’re photographing their food obsessively until they get the perfect shot, they probably don’t read comics. :P

That Midnight Suns game looked interesting, but the card-based mechanics have me cautious, and I don't know which X-Men will make the cut. You'll be shocked to learn that Wolverine is in.
    No! Really? Wolverine? Who would think of that?! :D

Magik could bring some readers to the comics. If only she was part of a book where she consistently appeared...

There are some truly great Japanese animated films.
    I love how they handle the characters. :)

Opposite? I guess I haven't noticed, but admittedly I haven't kept up with contemporary films much.
    Frozen and Moana. I remember reading on an interview about Moana that she wouldn’t have any romantic interest. It was pointed out as a good thing.

I don’t need all the “princesses” to have a romantic interest. I just mentioned Mulan, right? But I don’t see that as either a positive or a negative thing on principle. I think it depends on the character and the story.

I could see the reason being a mix of both, but a villain doesn't become relatable in my opinion by telling jokes at their expense. A good hero needs a good villain, and the MCU can sometimes hurt themselves in this regard; I think it's become their brand, but they're taking it too far.
    I think there are three different issues here:

1)Humour for humour
    2)Using humour to add to the characterization/relatable-ness of the character
    3)Adding stuff to the character as a way to portray them as relatable instead of actually writing them as a tridimensional character.

1 means you add a joke about whatever just to keep the story light-hearted.

In 2 you create a situation where something unexpected is presented, but it’s meant to portray an aspect of the character (following the “show, don’t tell rule”). Let me post this again, because I think it’s a good example:

We find out that Scott has a Captain America Teddy Bear that he likes enough to have taken to Alaska with him. That’s unexpected right? You don’t imagine someone that serious likes a fluffy toy. And it could’ve been used just to tell a joke and call it a day.

But it is the fact that Jean earned the bear for him that adds to Scott’s characterization and to how relatable he is: the bear is special because it was her joke, her loving gesture. It tells a lot about their relationship without having a character saying: “she brings joy to his life and that’s one of the many reasons why he loves her”.

Now 3 is about adding a random (usually small) negative trait to a character so they feel like they’re a normal person like us. For instance: the female character has cellulite. It’s the like writer is saying: “See? She’s like most women. She’s so relatable. Can I go back to writing her as invincible and otherwise perfect now?”

So, back to the MCU, I think the villain humour they use usually falls on categories 1 or 3 and sometimes it’s detrimental.

I can be pretty lazy, but when I get outside I enjoy it, I even get pretty competitive with sports.
    My lazy friends weren’t interested in walking to the beach to read poetry! I wasn’t inviting them to run a marathon! :D

Are you really competitive, though?

When I play something I’ll do my best to win. But it’s about the effort, not the actual victory. I don’t really care if I lose, you know?

I'm in your corner with this one.
    Let me get my boxing gloves. :P

Oh yeah, I heard about that, what a fiasco.
    It still annoys me.

And betrayal, to think that my own siblings would do that to me.
    Ungrateful brats! :P

I think working retail or fast food can help teach someone how to behave on the other side, you know?

Research lab? Sounds cool.

What sorts of jobs do you suppose they'd have now?
    I still want Jean to be an UN ambassador. She reminds me so much of Lady Di on certain aspects. Some months ago I found this video. When I heard the song they picked I squealed like a little happy pig. (****spoiler****: because of the wedding issue).

She was luminous, warm, caring, loving, beautiful and so charismatic. She had a great sense of style and looked as great wearing casual clothes, designer clothes or gala gowns… So much like Jean it hurts, even though they don’t look anything alike.

For me, this is the true power of this character and why she can carry big stories like the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Saga: the goodness in her immense heart, her humanity, her surrender.

Her ability to reach out and truly connect, truly comfort someone, even when she’s hurt inside is so special. There’s nothing weak about being caring and delicate. There’s true strength in it, the kind that is rare and that the world desperately needs.

For a situation like this to feel genuine, you *need* a character like Jean. Otherwise the gravitas is lost due to our incredulity.

I'd love to get a third one.
    It would be cool if they made it for PC too. Then I’d be able to play as well! :)

I confess, I just didn't do the work in my calculus class, I was done. Suffice it to say, that the teacher wasn't amused with me.
    Some teachers are annoying. But I still feel sorry for most of them. The ones who are exclusively teachers, that is. University teachers who are forced to teach and make it obvious that’s the case get no sympathy from me. :P

Well, hopefully there's proper mitigation and people act responsibly.
    Yeah. We’ll see how it goes. Recently history isn’t very encouraging.

When I discovered DVR, it was like I had all the time in the world. And I could rewatch favorite episodes too, instead of waiting for the reruns to loop back around.
    Those things got easier and easier. Gotta love that. :)

I'm not sure what it means that I have so many talkative friends.
    It means they like talking to you? :)

Therapists deal in words though, they have a bias, they're running a con!
    OMG! That was too good for too many reasons to list, my friend! :D

Thank you! :D

It's so simple, but I have friends and family who struggle with it. I struggle with it, and I make a conscious effort not to.
    I don’t remember if I ever struggled with it. Possibly. But I think I learned really young you don’t get to shy away from confrontations if you are to spend enough time with someone. It will come one way or another, so it’s better to bite the bullet and address it while it’s it’s manageable.

Oh, I think I learned a little about this. They can also tell health issues from someone's skin condition or hair, etc.
    Yep. It’s all about re-balancing the body, both the physical and the “energetic” aspects of it. It’s pretty interesting.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-03-2021 at 05:30 AM.

All-New Member

Jott.jpg

Another drawing

Marvel Black Diamond 2020 - Watkins-Chow 3 appr 150.jpg
    Some sketch cards i made for the Upper Deck Black Diamond Marvel card set.
    Last edited by SweetMuses; 09-03-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cykecrawler View Post
    Jott.jpg

Another drawing
    This is so adorable! I want to squeeze both of them!

Thank you for sharing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMuses View Post
    Marvel Black Diamond 2020 - Watkins-Chow 3 appr 150.jpg
    Some sketch cards i made for the Upper Deck Black Diamond Marvel card set.
    You even included X-Factor Forever with baby Chris flying inside his tk bubble!

Do you want to kill me? This is too much for my poor old heart! :D

My favourite is Jean and Phoenix-5 Scott, though. So much emotion on her face.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cykecrawler View Post
    Jott.jpg

Another drawing
    That is just omega level adorable.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I put this together a few days ago due to a conversation I'm having with a friend and I forgot to share it here.

Some (but not all) of the passionate kisses of our couple, through different decades:

If the room suddenly feels a little hotter, congratulations: you're alive! :D

I put this together a few days ago due to a conversation I'm having with a friend and I forgot to share it here.

Some (but not all) of the passionate kisses of our couple, through different decades:

If the room suddenly feels a little hotter, congratulations: you're alive!
    That one in the snow <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    That one in the snow <3 <3
    I know, right? They look so happy. They're playing with their powers like little kids, having fun and then... ah, the passion! Who cares who is watching? The world disappears for those two. :)

I'm sure you know the scene, but let us gush again, my friend. :)

I know, right? They look so happy. They're playing with their powers like little kids, having fun and then... ah, the passion! Who cares who is watching? The world disappears for those two.

I'm sure you know the scene, but let us gush again, my friend.

awww, I just love when they are happy like this <3 Scott is so open with her.

sj1.JPG

Scott being unable to attack Jean because of her Teke lol I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    awww, I just love when they are happy like this <3 Scott is so open with her.

sj1.JPG

Scott being unable to attack Jean because of her Teke lol I love them.
    I think she was throwing snowballs at him and he was zapping them. :)

And yes... his smiles when she's around are wonderful and genuine. Not that fake creepy happiness he can't shut up about in this Krakoan era. But anyway, even their first kiss came after he finally opened up to her about his life, traumas, fears and difficulties. All because she was patient enough and didn't give up on her feelings for him, even when she thought he didn't feel the same for her. :)

*Sigh*... I really miss them. They're together and I'm happy about it but they feel so... off...